• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loc...her-Long-Island-Carroll-Family-499304341.html

A son of a Long Island man who vanished in 1961, leaving his wife and children alone to grapple with the mystery of his disappearance for decades, says he feels relieved by the discovery of bones in the same home this Halloween.

"We felt abandoned as kids but he was here the whole time," Steven Carroll, who was just 5 when his father George disappeared, told News 4 Thursday.

Steven Carroll and his brother Michael stumbled upon a skeleton in their basement Wednesday; bones they believe belong to their long missing father.

Steven Carroll says his mother told him and his siblings very little about what had happened until just before her death in 1998. The family never filed any missing persons report and there is "no record" of police involvements in his disappearance, Suffolk County police say.

I heard about this on the radio this morning.

Apparently one day the father "had gone out of the house for a task" (the old went for cigarettes and never came back) and had never returned. This is what his children were told by their mother. There was never a missing persons report put out. It had become family gossip that his dead body might beneath the concrete floor of the basement. Their mother had died in 1998. One of the missing man's children tried to dig up the basement floor years ago, but had to stop due to structural issues that would make the house unsafe. With advances in technology he went back to digging just recently with his two sons. Six feet under the basement skeletal remains were found against a support structure.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Relief wouldn't be my first reaction to that discovery.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Yea that's an odd take lol. It turns out he was with us the whole time! Its fineee! Crazy story though especially because it looks like they kinda knew he was there for a while. Would love to hear all the details on this story.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
6 feet under sounds very...deliberate. Like it doesn't sound like he just had some accident and died somewhere people wouldn't go.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Relief wouldn't be my first reaction to that discovery.
Yup. I'd be scared that my mom may have killed my dad.

it really does not make it more comforting.

Also the implication is that mom killed him right?
The implication is 100% that the mom killed him.
Wouldn't there have been a smell?
Throw some lye on that sucker and the smell goes away.

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Closure's great but how the hell did get there? Suicide or murder seems most likely unless he dropped dead and the mother decided easy option was to quietly dispose of the body rather than tell anyone.

Either way I'm not sure I'd be 100% comfortable with this unless I'm missing some details; I'd be somewhat relieved to know truth but I would be happy to find out mim killed dad.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I mean....it can turn out it's not even the father...what then? It will be our next Amityville ahorror house, especially with the discovery on Halloween

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
Huh seems like mom killed him and took it to her grave.

Creepy but really at that point nothing to be done.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
I mean....it can turn out it's not even the father...what then? It will be our next Amityville ahorror house, especially with the discovery on Halloween
If it turns out not be the father then that's much worse because now you don't know what happened to your dad and found a random body in your basement.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...how does a family rumour like that start? What, did the mom kill the guy and casually tell some relatives through the grapevine??

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
Holy shit. How would she even have been able to bury him six feet under concrete in the basement and then covered it up?

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
...how does a family rumour like that start? What, did the mom kill the guy and casually tell some relatives through the grapevine??
I mean Sunday dinner can get crazy sometimes.

Relatives or friends probabky buried the body.
If it was him...maybe he was abusive. How do you keep the kids out the basement all that time.

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
Though they never knew what happened to their father, police say that for reasons that remain unclear the family had always thought he might be buried in the home he lived in on Olive Street in Lake Grove.

I'd love to know how this conversation started.

Mar 27, 2018
The mother told her kids that he abandoned them? Ouch. That's a really mean way to explain his absence.

Granted that's already on top of the whole very mean murder and hide the body thing, but you could at least come up with a cover story that doesn't give your kids a complex. Say he's running from the mob or something.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
I;m so relief dad didn't abandon us. Mom just killed him and buried him under the house

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
As a kid we loved playing in the basement. I couldn't imagine her not having help in doing the burial if she is even the one who did it. No one noticed.....it's not exactly easy or quiet to dig through concrete and bury a body.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It must be a relief to know that he didn't abandon the family. That your mother might be a murderer is definitely less so.

Argus

Oct 27, 2017
People don't spend years attempting and figuring out how to dig up the basement to look for a body of a "went out for cigarettes" if they didn't think the person was actually killed and buried under there.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
"Geez, he killed himself with 10 shots and even 1 shot in the back of his head. And then he buried himself 6 feet in the ground and poured cement over himself."

Wasn't there a sketch with something like this?

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
rs_500x299-140509123634-tumblr_m824qy8YrO1qij0nh.gif

Oct 26, 2017
They spent their lives thinking their dad was a deadbeat... um... a bad egg but it turns out it was the mother all along? What a twist.