• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
http://www.businessinsider.com/zoob...ding-bitcoin-to-isis-from-long-island-2017-12

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...inessinsider&referrer=utm_source=smart-banner
A woman from New York could be imprisoned for as long as 90 years for allegedly sending ISIS money in the form of bitcoin.

Zoobiah Shahnaz, an American from Long Island, is accused of funnelling $62,000 to the group via bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies earlier this year.

Shahnaz took out more than a dozen credit cards earlier this year and used the money she borrowed to by cryptocurrency and send it abroad, according to an indictment filed by US attorneys in federal court.

Her overall financial support for ISIS totals $150,000(£112,000), according to a press release by the Department of Justice, which did not specify what form the other $88,000 took.

ISIS and other terrorist states are using cryptocurrency more and more, doing nearly 300,000 transactions a day in it.

The woman also tried to flee the country, which is when she was caught.

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I should change my name to Ishmael Sis, or I.Sis for short, and trick some terrorist sympathizers out of that sweet sweet bitcoin.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Hell of a sentence. Obviously not defending her at all, but feels more like they're making an example of her rather than the punishment fitting the crime. Cryptocurrency is new territory for law enforcement to deal with, but I can imagine there is only going to be more cases like this in the future. I wonder how they caught her.

Hopefully they've ruled out mental illness or similar.

Seems like an extremely dumb thing to do on US soil.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The US and their silly sentences. Obviously, she should go to jail, but 90 years? What the hell?

Straight Edge

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hell of a sentence. Obviously not defending her at all, but feels more like they're making an example of her rather than the punishment fitting the crime. Cryptocurrency is new territory for law enforcement to deal with, but I can imagine there is only going to be more cases like this in the future. I wonder how they caught her.

Hopefully they've ruled out mental illness or similar.

Seems like an extremely dumb thing to do on US soil.

What is an appropriate sentence for funding terrorism?

rhn94

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
seems appropriate; considering what ISIS has done

just watch their videos and kind of sick fucking torture and murder they did; then you can whine about "too many years" from your high horse, though I doubt you'll have the gall to

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The sentence could be 500 years and I wouldn't have any sympathy for her. Sending $150,000 to literally the worst people on the planet is reprehensible.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why would you choose to do this with your life?? Ok hate your country, That's one thing. Its entirely another thing to risk your freedom until you die to support murderers.

Makes no sense. Rott in jail then hell.

kellar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Benghazi, Libya.
Some IS news site on Tor i browse from time to time started asking for bitcoin donations awhile ago because they are encrypted and are easy to use when buying domains/hosting bandwidth.

SNES Jr

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Some IS news site on Tor i browse from time to time started asking for bitcoin donations awhile ago because they are encrypted and are easy to use when buying domains/hosting bandwidth.

images

dyst

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if bitcoin gets used to fund other hate group such as neo-nazi's as well especially among the younger generation. I know political parties fund via regualr currency but in time, I can see bitcoin being used for that all (if the currency sticks around).

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
I'm honestly surprised people have an issue with the sentence. It's random, but it's basically life. With good behavior she'll get out in maybe 30-40 years.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know. My gut reaction is just that 90 is excessive.

"terrorism' isn't a particularly useful term in this context either. It's just crime. Lots of gun crime is terrifying to me, but it isn't sentenced in line with terrorism.

This woman learns about a group that captures and kills people on video, such as Daniel Pearl, and decides that she wants to send them all the money she can gather. She can rot in prison for the rest of her life.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
but... why?
What could they possibly offer her in return?
A nice rent-free home in a demolished dessert town?

MarkMcLovin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think that's a bit much.

Can someone work out how much it would cost to have someone in prison for that long?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
This woman learns about a group that captures and kills people on video, such as Daniel Pearl, and decides that she wants to send them all the money she can gather. She can rot in prison for the rest of her life.
I think making a martyr of her is more likely to inspire others to follow in her footsteps rather than lead to deescalation of conflict.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
ISIS are among the worst scum on the planet and, if true, this woman has been actively helping them to continue their campaigns of murder, torture and rape. There are always ongoing (and valid) questions about how a justice system punishes crimes relative to one another, but I find it very difficult to have any sympathy here if she rots in a cell for the rest of her life.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think making a martyr of her is more likely to inspire others to follow in her footsteps rather than lead to deescalation of conflict.
Shooting her would make her a martyr. Putting her in prison, does not to the same extent.

Also, with how many ISIS "people" have been killed in the last several years there's hardly a shortage of martyrs out there for those who are looking for an excuse to join up with ISIS.

To be fair, I'd be tempted if they offered me the chance to live in an entire town made of dessert.

I agree with you there. This punishment brought to you by Willy Wonka.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Someone is sending money to a group that will use it to further their agenda of murder and afterwards attempts to flee the country to likely join up with said group and people here are worried that she is being unfairly sentenced?

You fund murder, you get put away for ever. Her actions will cost lives and as a result hers should be forfeit.

Actions need to have consequence. How many deaths will that $162k help fund?

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is treason and a federal crime. She's funding a terrorist organization that commits inhumane atrocities. I'm not familiar with the American judicial system but I'm pretty sure... They take these kinds of things seriously.