• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Muji

Banned
Jul 27, 2021
I might be weird but everything looks very "clean" even the "un-clean" characters. I can't wait anywho to binge watch the whole thing!!!

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
Given the state of the LOTR subreddits, this show is going to be the next culture war.

I just want to give it a chance!

Gravemind IV

Nov 26, 2017
It's looking a bit too clean for my tastes, moreso like the Hobbit than the Lord of the Rings did.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
More and more I feel the only network that should be allowed to do epic fantasy TV is HBO

Once again the overly clean and sanitized aesthetic really detracts from the immersion factor.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
Come play my Lord.

No really it looks fine. The ominous comet bit that connects all the characters is a bit of a cliche though.

Sabre

Jul 2, 2018
It seems that the most lasting legacy of GoT was to cause a whole generation of people to equate high fantasy with a gritty, drab aesthetic. I swear every post-GoT fantasy show that dares to depart from that gets the "looks too clean!" -comments.

The style worked for GoT for the kind of story it has, but it wasn't without problems. All the indoor sets in the North looked like shite for instance.

Teaser looks great btw. The next half a year or so is looking to be stacked for high-budget fantasy TV, with LOTR, House of the dragon, Wheel of Time S2 and maybe Witcher S3 as well.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
How can it look both cheap and expensive at the same time? I cannot wrap my head around it.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I have not followed the production that much - are you sure it's Sauron? From the timeframe, couldn't it also be Melkor?
Well if Gil Galad and Elrond are watching him arrive it's not Melkor unless they do something insane with the lore.
This could be how Annatar arrives. I don't think it's written anywhere just how he turns up, but this isn't a bad idea to introduce him.
This is the most logical explanation. There is a pretty big gap in Tolkiens story about Annatar just showing up and being accepted. Granted not everyone accepts him but it would have to be something pretty impressive to gain peoples trust like that.

4CornersTHSA

Jun 13, 2019
Lore wise, Sauron coming in a form of meteor is well.. a weird idea to say the least.
Could be a wizard/Istari too. The show runners have said they're going to condense a lot of the plot to fit into 5 seasons. Maybe the Blue Wizards show up in the 2nd Age long before Gandalf, Saruman and Radagast in this story?

Oct 27, 2017
Watching it on the Amazon Prime app the lighting and colour grading and shit look significantly better than the first trailer did

Son that Numenorean armour in the shot of the Queen looking up is HARD looks almost exactly like this painting of Numenoreans I've seen before that I really like

The "meteor" is most likely Sauron's fiery Fea which is basically Tolkien's fancy word for their spirit/soul, even the way the meteor passes behind that hill with a hole in it makes me think the eye of Sauron

ENTS BRO YES

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
Well if Gil Galad and Elrond are watching him arrive it's not Melkor unless they do something insane with the lore.

This is the most logical explanation. There is a pretty big gap in Tolkiens story about Annatar just showing up and being accepted. Granted not everyone accepts him but it would have to be something pretty impressive to gain peoples trust like that.
Also in terms of this being a series Annatar is better written than Sauron and gives the actor more to work with

Oct 25, 2017
Given the state of the LOTR subreddits, this show is going to be the next culture war.

They've become unreadable. Short-haired elves and black actors just send a lot of lotr fans in to a frenzy apparently.

okay-okay-how-you-know.gif

Oct 30, 2017
How can it look both cheap and expensive at the same time? I cannot wrap my head around it.
A mixture of wide shots and close-ups make it vacillate between grandiose and obvious they're filming on a studio set rather than a lived-in location. Like, the shot of the Ents looking towards the sky? Looks awesome. The close-up of the woman walking through the city staring behind her? Clearly constructed film set.

Oct 30, 2017
I straight up don't know what people are referring to when they say digital clean aesthetic lol.

From a 1-2 second shot with a blurry background you're saying it looks like a poorly constructed set?
Where did I say it was poorly constructed? 🙄

I'm saying that these film sets sometimes struggle to look lived-in especially when it's so clean. The Hobbit, which had massive budgets, had moments where it was obvious that the cast was on a smallish film set. Doesn't mean that it wasn't decorated or designed well from a set-design standpoint, but that it looks like a film set.

OP
OP
Lifejumper

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah trailer looks a lot better in the Prime app. You can actually notice the film grain.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
I have zero knowledge about this show. Is this after or before the events of the original movie triology?

I'm guessing before, since that is Sauron(?) arriving

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
I might be weird but everything looks very "clean" even the "un-clean" characters. I can't wait anywho to binge watch the whole thing!!!

100% agreed.

Watch 10 minutes of The Wheel of Time and you'll say the same thing. Amazon doesn't have the greatest record.

I'm also not feeling the music choice of the trailer. Its generic action movie trailer music.

I really want this show to do well. I want more quality Rings content on my TV but if I was a betting person, I think my money would be going on the opposite

AdamE

3D Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I agree it does look too clean. I miss the very lived in look of LOTR.

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all are nuts the production value looks A1 to me, the armour looks great, there's that beautiful shot of the boat on the water with the birds swirling down

This shit is gorgeous

I have zero knowledge about this show. Is this after or before the events of the original movie triology?

I'm guessing before, since that is Sauron(?) arriving
Thousands of years before