peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Mine was supposed to be delivered yesterday from Best Buy, now all it says is delayed with no estimated delivery date. When I checked yesterday it said out for delivery by EOD. :(

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
So jealous of everyone getting the steelbook version.

I considered it, along with the collector's edition, but I already own the official 24k ring on a silver chain, and numerous people on Reddit said the steelbook case didn't fit into their media shelving (mine barely fits standard sized blu-ray cases as is) - so I passed on both and went with the regular set from Best Buy. But yes, it does look really nice.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Good news everyone, my copy is arriving today instead of December 8th.

Curious, what is the quality of the ring like in the collector's edition?

The Llama

Oct 27, 2017
What the hell happened to my Best Buy order? No updates since telling me yesterday that it's arriving late. Not sure I've ever had this happen with anything I've ordered online before lol. I live in Philadelphia, for reference, so it doesn't have to go anywhere else. Whatever, I didn't need this urgently so I don't really mind as long as it shows up eventually.

December 1, 2020
In Transit, Arriving Late
Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility.
November 29, 2020, 1:36 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
PHILADELPHIA PA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
November 29, 2020, 6:46 am
Departed USPS Regional Facility
NORTHWEST ROCHESTER NY DISTRIBUTION CENTER
November 28, 2020, 5:00 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
NORTHWEST ROCHESTER NY DISTRIBUTION CENTER
November 28, 2020, 3:45 pm
Accepted at USPS Origin Facility
NICHOLS, NY 13812
November 27, 2020
Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS, USPS Awaiting Item

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Lol you can tell that not even PJ truly believes it when he calls it 6 continuous movies or whatever. I dont care who you are, if you have any exposure to the franchise or not, if you stick any random person in front of the TV for these trilogies, they are not coming out thinking "oh wow, these are two excellent trilogies of similar quality!" Granted I only saw the Hobbit movies once ever, and LOTR probably 10x each, but I can help but feel there's some level of sado maschism going on to convince oneself that the Hobbit trilogy is anything other than undercooked, overlong trash.

I would expect the 4K LOTR set to outsell the Hobbit one by at least a 10 to 1 margin.

LOTR will be more popular no doubt but I think the internet really undersells the popularity of the Hobbit movies to the general public. They were giant moneymakers for Warners and remarkably consistent financially entry to entry so you didn't really see many people checking out after the first or second film.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
LOTR will be more popular no doubt but I think the internet really undersells the popularity of the Hobbit movies to the general public. They were giant moneymakers for Warners and remarkably consistent financially entry to entry so you didn't really see many people checking out after the first or second film.

That goes to show just how much goodwill the LotR trilogy had that people stuck with the whole Hobbit trilogy. You saw the same thing with the Star Wars prequels despite their similar (lack of) quality when compared to the Hobbit.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
They certainly made some bank, but in terms of cultural impact, they've been mostly forgotten, whereas The Lord of the Rings still permeates the conscious of the general public and enthusiasts.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Received mine. Gift set from Amazon. I haven't started watching it yet, but have already begun to wear the ring that came with it around my neck lol It's actually decent quality, but now has me tempted to buy the $100 official one.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
They certainly made some bank, but in terms of cultural impact, they've been mostly forgotten, whereas The Lord of the Rings still permeates the conscious of the general public and enthusiasts.

I don't really disagree with that. I just think the 10:1 thing is extreme. Yeah, it's far less popular than the LotR trilogy. But I think it's far more popular than the hardcore fans give it credit for.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
For what it's worth the Hobbit steelbook lasted long enough in the wild for me to grab it off Zavvi, but I had no chance in grabbing Lord of the Rings. Yes it's gonna trail, but there'll still be decent demand I'd say

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is the iTunes version fully 4K Dolby Vision? I already own the theatrical version and it says 4k DV but when I start it up it stays in SDR.

Also, I'm thinking of getting the extended edition, but iTunes shows return of the king as HD and not 4k. Is that an error, or has it not been updated? This is US iTunes.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just snagged the Walmart $80 version. Besides Godzilla: King of the Monsters this'll be the only 4K thing I own lol.

Oct 30, 2017
I say this as someone that hated The Hobbit films - the 4K is absolutely stunning. I only saw the high frame rate version, but this 24fps version with Dolby Vision is gorgeous.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Just got my copy of The Hobbit trilogy and absolutely LOVE the overall quality & presentation. I don't love The Hobbit movies as much as LOTR, but it's still an amazing trilogy.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I'm one of the rare breed who really, really likes AUJ, although it does have one or two scenes that could have been cut.

DoS is okayish but I view it kinda as the opposite of AUJ, not a good movie but it has some fun and good scenes. BotFA is really bad tho, there is no saving that one.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Digital is always flawed. Especially on my OLED, tends to be a lot of compression noise in dark scenes and such. I'd rather just stick with BDs for now. And I have the fan de-tealed version of Fellowship on my Plex server already to watch instead of my teal-o-fied BD.
I find iTunes movies are exceptional quality. Not quite disc quality, but close enough for my tastes with little to no visible compression and preserved film grain. Amazon video is terrible for anything dark, with Netflix somewhere in between. Netflix looks great for their own productions but anything else runs between acceptable to nearly unwatchable, depending on how grainy the original video is.

PolishQ

Oct 27, 2017
Rochester, NY
I'm one of the rare breed who really, really likes AUJ, although it does have one or two scenes that could have been cut.

DoS is okayish but I view it kinda as the opposite of AUJ, not a good movie but it has some fun and good scenes. BotFA is really bad tho, there is no saving that one.
Agreed! I like to think of AUJ as Bilbo's highly embellished 'tall tale' retelling of what the quest was like. The other two films could have used more of that feeling.

Tigel

Oct 27, 2017
Is Return of the King not available in 4K on iTunes? Fellowship and Two Towers have the 4K logo but Return only has the HD logo...
I'm in Canada if that makes a difference.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Is the iTunes version fully 4K Dolby Vision? I already own the theatrical version and it says 4k DV but when I start it up it stays in SDR.

Also, I'm thinking of getting the extended edition, but iTunes shows return of the king as HD and not 4k. Is that an error, or has it not been updated? This is US iTunes.

EEs are HD not 4K.

Oct 30, 2017
Is Return of the King not available in 4K on iTunes? Fellowship and Two Towers have the 4K logo but Return only has the HD logo...
I'm in Canada if that makes a difference.

same here in the UK. it was just two towers for days, then fellowship flipped over the other day.

waiting for ROTK to do the same before i get the bundle.

nope, two of the EEs are in 4K on at least UK/canada/australia stores. it's just ROTK that hasn't been updated yet.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
same here in the UK. it was just two towers for days, then fellowship flipped over the other day.

waiting for ROTK to do the same before i get the bundle.

nope, two of the EEs are in 4K on at least UK/canada/australia stores. it's just ROTK that hasn't been updated yet.

Gah, you're right. Looks like I checked too early the other day.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Wrapping up disc two of Fellowship now. This has ruined all other versions for me. They did such a good job on this.