GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I waited like a year for no appendices? WTF

And not much other stuff.

Rumour grew of a shadow...whispers of a nameless feature, leftover behind the scenes footage, deleted scenes, or unfinished behind the scenes footage.

That was supposed to be the whole point of this set along with the old special features.

Guess I go deal hunting for the last 4k releases, and no need to waste piles of money on this and the Hobbit movies.

I saw FOTR in the theater 6 times (including the EE on Trilogy Tuesday), I was like "take my money!" patiently awaiting the super edition. Just like I had the DVD versions with the statues and shit.

Bah

Last edited:

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am kinda lost what are the Appendices?

I bought the LOTR 4K set last year and also have the Blu ray extended editions with all the extras, so as i understand I won't miss anything new?

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
Oh geez..as someone who hasn't seen these movies..I just got my 4K TV hooked up this weekend and remembered these. I was actually waiting on this set because I heard the other one didn't have the bonus features and such.

So as someone who hasn't seen this movies, which is the definitive version to go with? Are the 4K Blu Rays worth it or should I go with the regular BR set that has the extras

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
So as someone that only owns the LoTR trilogy on DVD and hasn't re-watched any of them since that came out. It sounds like I should get the 4k extended edition when it's on-sale and then get the blu-ray with all the extras. Which is the correct blu-ray set I want to get the appendices?

Was holding off for the 4k version with all the extras that was mentioned last year. Sucks it's missing stuff.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh geez..as someone who hasn't seen these movies..I just got my 4K TV hooked up this weekend and remembered these. I was actually waiting on this set because I heard the other one didn't have the bonus features and such.

So as someone who hasn't seen this movies, which is the definitive version to go with? Are the 4K Blu Rays worth it or should I go with the regular BR set that has the extras
The 4k set that came out last year is the definitive transfer, the blu ray extended collection from some years back is the best "additional content" version. It more or less depends on if you watch behind the scenes content (which is really good btw) the old blu ray extended set's worst issue is a green filter over the movie.
Left is the good transfer/ right is the old blu ray extended transfer. Aka the piss filter
maxresdefault.jpg

PoeticProse22

Oct 25, 2017
Very disappointing "Ultimate Edition". The absence of the appendices, lack of any new, meaningful special features, and awful pricing makes this an easy skip. At least I can stop waiting now and purchase the sets that were released last year.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Without all the old bonus material, seems like the only reason to get this new set would be if you don't own the previous releases and don't really care for the bonus material or you are a collector and really want the new special features disc and the new masters on 1080p blu-ray.

Unless they announce the new bonus disc is packed with a lot more new features (seems unlikely) it doesn't seem worth the asking price for anyone who has the old sets.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If yall can wait, wait till Target does their buy 2 get 1 free deal, and do the buy 3 of the movie and cancel 2 trick to get the movie at a 33%ish discount. For the 4k sets. Iirc it should happen around November for sure, possibly might happen again in September.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Well fuck, this is like half the reason I wanted to wait for this set...

What set has these then so I can just get that + the standalone 4k sets?

The Extended Edition standard Blu Rays come with all the extras. Or if you wanted, you could maybe find the DVD extended sets cheap, as the extras disks are the same.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
The Extended Edition standard Blu Rays come with all the extras. Or if you wanted, you could maybe find the DVD extended sets cheap, as the extras disks are the same.
Yeah, I've still got my old DVD set (never got the Blu-rays because of the green problem). I ended up putting the 4K discs into the DVD boxes and putting them back on the shelf, it looks so much better:

latest

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The 4k set that came out last year is the definitive transfer, the blu ray extended collection from some years back is the best "additional content" version. It more or less depends on if you watch behind the scenes content (which is really good btw) the old blu ray extended set's worst issue is a green filter over the movie.
Left is the good transfer/ right is the old blu ray extended transfer. Aka the piss filter
maxresdefault.jpg
Funny thing is this time around TTT and ROTK got a bunch of color/visual changes compared to the previous releases.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
the iTunes release doesn't have the appendices sadly
Are you sure? I'm playing the iTunes version of Fellowship EE on my iPad and I'm seeing The Appendicies Part 1 in the Extras section. Commentaries, documentaries, storyboards, etc. I'm testing it now and it's definitely working.

I purchased the physical version of the earlier 4K release and redeemed the included serial.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Are you sure? I'm playing the iTunes version of Fellowship EE on my iPad and I'm seeing The Appendicies Part 1 in the Extras section. Commentaries, documentaries, storyboards, etc. I'm testing it now and it's definitely working.

I purchased the physical version of the earlier 4K release and redeemed the included serial.

Oh nice, last time I checked it wasn't there so good to know. Tagging J_Viper

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
So, in light of this big wet fart, what's the best upgrade to my venerable old DVD box set?

I'd get the original 4k release if there's no change, especially if you have the DVD set with the extras.

I have the DVD box set with all of the extras, the blurays with extras and now the original 4k set. Other than Jaws, this is easily the most I have bought the same film/s

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018

The extras are all in 480p? I have the DVD set, was wondering if I should spend $60-70 for the blu-ray set just for the extras, but if they're identical and 480p and I guess there's no reason?

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I prefer just having the appendices in iTunes. It's nice to not have to hunt for discs and it's not like you're really losing anything by watching DVD-quality clips that way.

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing the dearth of new, in-depth features on this set just reinforces the fact that purchasing last year's 4K set was the right choice.

Sure, I don't have the new color corrected master in 1080p, but when am I ever going to watch the HD Blu-ray discs instead of the 4K discs?

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
I'm confused what to buy here.

I have the box set of the extended editions on 1080p Blu-ray from when the extended films first got released on Blu-ray. I was planning on upgrading to the 4K set, which should I get?

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused what to buy here.

I have the box set of the extended editions on 1080p Blu-ray from when the extended films first got released on Blu-ray. I was planning on upgrading to the 4K set, which should I get?

I bought the 4k set and chucked out the BluRays of the films from that extended BluRay set (swapped them out with the 4k extended and theatrical discs). You basically got the best thing going then since that extended BluRay set had the extra appendices discs too.

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
I bought the 4k set and chucked out the BluRays of the films from that extended BluRay set (swapped them out with the 4k extended and theatrical discs). You basically got the best thing going then since that extended BluRay set had the extra appendices discs too.

Okay cool, so I don't need this ultimate edition then?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, having the BD Extended Editions and the 4K Steelbooks of LOTR and TH is a more complete package than this new "Ultimate" Edition.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
The standard 4k sets still haven't gone less than £57 in the UK. No where near a decent enough price for me to buy these again

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
So trying to piece current info together, is there another release expected in 2022?

I'd like to add the original trilogy (and extras) to my collection, but I have zero interest in the Hobbit trilogy.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
So trying to piece current info together, is there another release expected in 2022?

I'd like to add the original trilogy (and extras) to my collection, but I have zero interest in the Hobbit trilogy.

No more new releases now. Just the 4k trilogy sets and the 4k Ultimate Collectors set.

You will need the dvd Extended Editions or Blu-ray Extended Edition set for the extras and then the standard 4k set for the 4k movies.

Skyshark

Apr 26, 2021

There's a set with just the three LOTR movies, in theatrical and extended versions, but with no extras. That's what I have. I have the extras on BR and no interest in The Hobbit movies.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
even the bluray sets just came with dvds of the special features
just find some old dvd boxsets to get the special features discs out of, and buy the trilogy 4k set
fuck that garbage 6 movie box set, waste of money

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
The special features were all shot on SD video anyway, so there'd be no benefit to having them on bluray. It's a real shame this "ultimate collection" doesn't have them though. They're the best making-ofs ever made.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I still can't believe they release this shit without any of the appendices. It's madness.
thats not the situation at all.

if you go read about it, what is put on the 4k discs looks like a rescan of the special effects from 1080p and re applied noise reduction to the point that many of the special effects look like a blurry mess.
the special effects and composites looked better upon initial release.
Some of the CGI and composoting has always been poor. The cave troll in FOTR looked bad the day the movie was released. Legolas's digital double whenever he's doing some crazy shit is no better either.

Actually I think re-rendering the original assets at the highest, cleanest resolution possible would be counter-productive lol. The blurriness hides the flaws.

The special features were all shot on SD video anyway, so there'd be no benefit to having them on bluray. It's a real shame this "ultimate collection" doesn't have them though. They're the best making-ofs ever made.
The benefit would be having everything in a single disc without having to swap between nine different discs of extra materials.

Last edited: