• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

stopmrdomino

Jun 25, 2023
i really, really hope this can be something special. just once i'd like to see one of these soulslikes it just "get it"

QBizM

Oct 25, 2017
… am I the only one that is looking at the image and thinking "why are they holding that baby up by the throat?" I can't unsee it.

Stimpack

Oct 27, 2017
To everyone hopeful that this one will really be something to shine, it makes me wonder how you felt about the first one.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
So much this. We've gotten so many souls likes by now, but not a single one got it right so far. Lords of the Fallen may finally do the trick.
Define what "getting it right" entails. There have been some extremely good Soulslikes. If you're trying to tell me the Nioh games "don't get it" my eyes will roll right out of my head.

Majin Boo

Oct 26, 2017
Define what "getting it right" entails. There have been some extremely good Soulslikes. If you're trying to tell me the Nioh games "don't get it" my eyes will roll right out of my head.

Sure, I'd say it's the mixture of excellent level design, the joy of exploring said levels which are filled with a variety of well designed and deadly enemies and enemy encounters, "simple" gameplay mechanics that still lead to exciting combat (for example by putting limitations on the player with a stamina bar), fantastic boss fights that you often have to learn, a certain amount of RPG/level mechanics, unique weapons/magic etc., the right amount of difficulty. The bonfire checkpoint system is an important aspect as well, including the loss of experience/currency on death that has to be picked up.

Nioh 1 & 2 are great games, but first of all I think they are way closer to Diablo than to souls (the whole random loot mechanic+ridiculous amounts of related mechanics is just a big turn off for me and is sth not present in FromSofts games at all), and second of all their level design is pretty mediocre. Most soulslikes get quite a few things right, but just not enough to make it feel "right". I think for many of them it's the level design, only Asterigos somewhat got the idea, but was mediocre in other areas.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Hey now Nioh 2 is a very good video game

The Nioh games have some obvious Souls influence, but I definitely wouldn't say they feel much like the Souls game because they are going for a way different thing. I think even calling them Soulslikes are kind of pushing it tbh, they aren't really trying to replicate Souls much in the gameplay department like this and Life of Pi or whatever that other one is called coming out next month

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
To everyone hopeful that this one will really be something to shine, it makes me wonder how you felt about the first one.
New team, new engine, set 1000 years after the first, and specifically made to address critiques of the first. I'd be more wary of the fact that this is said team's debut game.

Bricks

Nov 6, 2017
Would be nice if this ran a bit better than some recent UE5 releases.

I certainly hope so. If it does, and the game is as good as it looks, I'll be thoroughly impressed by Hexworks. The studio was founded at the beginning of 2020, which means they created this supposedly not small game from scratch in a little over 3 and a half years, almost half of which were during the height of the pandemic. Remarkable.

Gravelord

Jul 19, 2023
nice! One of my most anticipated titles of 2023- along with the Phantom Liberty expansion and Alan Wake 2

Stimpack

Oct 27, 2017
Serious question, what does it matter, given that pretty much everything but the title is different?
I feel like people are reading into the question and becoming defensive. I legitimately just wanted to know what people thought about the first one. I wasn't trying to imply that this game would be trash because the first one was trash. I finished the first one, and though it had faults it was still better than I thought it would be.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like people are reading into the question and becoming defensive. I legitimately just wanted to know what people thought about the first one. I wasn't trying to imply that this game would be trash because the first one was trash. I finished the first one, and though it had faults it was still better than I thought it would be.

Gotcha. Well, as someone who played the first one for maybe 10 hrs and thought it was ok, I think this looks significantly better. I didn't thin'k the first one was trash,though. But I'm not expecting a world beater. Looks fun, and I'm hoping for the best.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, I'd say it's the mixture of excellent level design, the joy of exploring said levels which are filled with a variety of well designed and deadly enemies and enemy encounters, "simple" gameplay mechanics that still lead to exciting combat (for example by putting limitations on the player with a stamina bar), fantastic boss fights that you often have to learn, a certain amount of RPG/level mechanics, unique weapons/magic etc., the right amount of difficulty. The bonfire checkpoint system is an important aspect as well, including the loss of experience/currency on death that has to be picked up.
Just say you want everything to be exactly like a FromSoft game and leave it at that. 🤣

It's not a Souslike at that point, it's just a Souls game.

PooriaDan

Jul 18, 2023
lampbearer? Is this a main character title like Ashen One or the chosen tarnished? Interesting one.

I enjoyed the gameplay trailers of this one, although I am kinda disappointed about the overall art direction and environment design. I feel the game lacks some grand and massive medical castles like Anor Londo, but maybe trailers are selling the game short and we will see this stuff in the game.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Whoa. 😮 I look forward to trying this game at some point. Hopefully it's good.

Well the difference there is that this is a different dev. The dev of the original went on to make Atlas Fallen which is also dogshit like the OG LotF.

This game seems to be LotF in name only. But who knows, maybe this game will be shit as well. 🤔

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
Really interested in this one. Still cannot believe they made the bonehead decision to name it after the previous dumpster fire game. Hope they pull it off

Oct 27, 2017
The Nioh games have some obvious Souls influence, but I definitely wouldn't say they feel much like the Souls game because they are going for a way different thing. I think even calling them Soulslikes are kind of pushing it tbh, they aren't really trying to replicate Souls much in the gameplay department like this and Life of Pi or whatever that other one is called coming out next month

I think one of the reasons why the Nioh games work for me is that despite the Souls influence it very much feels like its own thing, but I'd still call them Soulslikes at the end of the day so it always bothers me when people say there are no good Soulslikes lol

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Souls fans willing to step out from From's bosom are eatin this season. Lies of P was fun and this looks pretty good for a more traditional Souls experience / aesthetic. Between this and the mix of Action / Rpgs coming out each month, it's a good holiday season for 3rd person action enjoyers.

Nov 9, 2017
Réunion
i really, really hope this can be something special. just once i'd like to see one of these soulslikes it just "get it"

If what you're expecting is a game with the same quality as a From game, then you'll probably wait for a long time. It would be like expecting each rock group to be as good or influential as the Beatles. They all do their own thing, some are better than other in certain areas.

It's not what you're expecting... right?

Well, personally, I expect nothing much from this game, but I never was a fan of the genre to begin with and more a action rpg fan in the broader sense. Besides this looks like too much like Dark Soul iteration 134893 for my taste, but with a two worlds mechanic now. I mean, I understand wanting to make your own take of a genre you're a fan of but everything I've seen of it didn't excite me at all.

ArchStanton

Oct 29, 2017

LMFAO.

The Lies of P…. But I like yours better

Majin Boo

Oct 26, 2017
Just say you want everything to be exactly like a FromSoft game and leave it at that. 🤣

It's not a Souslike at that point, it's just a Souls game.

Most soulslikes fulfill "my" requirements, my criticism with most of them is that the quality of certain aspects is not high enough to make them feel as good as FromSoft games, and looking at the Metascores of most soulslikes it seems I am not alone with my opinion (they are good games that don't reach the quality levels of the "originals"). And we are in a thread for a soulslike for which I expressed my hope that it could reach Fromsoft quality in many important aspects.
So I am not quite sure if I understand you ridicule.