Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Richard mentioned it in DF podcast and tested it himself and finds it not really useful because there are way too much artifacts. My experience is the same for pc games, way too much onscreen artifacts to be useful even with most recent update, but bizarrely good with emulator like rpcs3 and pcsx2. I am actually more surprised nvidia have include anything like this in their driver level and include some ML to clean up the artifacts. AMD AFMF is giving them a slight edge for something that nvidia doesn't have.

Same for me, Helldivers 2 looks rough with Loseless, Ghost of Tsushima with FSR3 Frame Generation looks better to me, still somewhat noticeable but better.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Richard mentioned it in DF podcast and tested it himself and finds it not really useful because there are way too much artifacts. My experience is the same for pc games, way too much onscreen artifacts to be useful even with most recent update, but bizarrely good with emulator like rpcs3 and pcsx2. I am actually more surprised nvidia have include anything like this in their driver level and include some ML to clean up the artifacts. AMD AFMF is giving them a slight edge for something that nvidia doesn't have.

Is that down to playing with a m+kB vs controller though? I would have thought the artifacts would be better hidden with the smoother motion of analog camera control.

An Nvidia version with ML, kinda like their universal DLDSR option for down sampling, really sounds like an easy software win. I feel like it's one of those types of features that will come with the RTX 5xxx series, then trickle down to older RTX cards. Working this sort of feature directly into handhelds also seems like an easy win because it's a performance bump without a hardware upgrade.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
tested this throughout the weekend, and was impressed with the results on 60fps --> 120 fps scenarios. only problem ive faced was that for some reason, my fps is being limited to 116-117 fps (which is expected normally, given i put a cap in nvidia's control panel for 117 fps for latency and gsync), which ended up introducing stutter, despite turning everything that could do that off (low latency, max fps, gsync, etc).
limiting the game fps in RTSS to 58 solved this issue, thankfully, and now its smooth as hell. this rules.

Folie

Dec 16, 2017
Minor word of warning to any AMD users - if you use image sharpening in your global profile in Adrenalin, it recognises Lossless Scaling as a game/application and applies sharpening to that. I couldn't figure out why Yuzu was looking weird/over sharpened for a while until I realised that the above was happening. Not sure if it 'double' sharpens if you have sharpening enabled for a vanilla PC game as well, but in Yuzu specifically it was working on top of the emulator's built in filters (I was using FSR at the time).

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
For anyone into remote play - running lossless scaling on the host pc doesn't work via remote play. If you have a windows handheld though, run lossless scaling on it and it works perfect!

I don't know much about this software's frame gen but it works for emulators you say?
Sure does. Games that were locked at 30 due to their physics breaking like wind waker hd and twilight princess hd? Smooth 60 now.

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can understand the appeal for emulators, but for PC games, it seems the overhead of frame gen is almost similar to the overhead of just doubling the framerate natively lol

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
I can understand the appeal for emulators, but for PC games, it seems the overhead of frame gen is almost similar to the overhead of just doubling the framerate natively lol
Then you arent using it right. Make sure you have it set to performance mode if you're using LSFG 2.0. You're never going to get a pure 2x if you were already limited somewhere before, but it is a substantial uplift in the titles I use it in daily right now (Diablo 4, Genshin Impact).

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
According to the LS discord, the latest Nvidia drivers (555.85) are bugged, making LSFG 2.0 performance much more GPU intensive than it should be.

You can either wait for a patch or roll your drivers back using this guide if you're affected.
Funnily enough I'm having a very funny bug where geforce experience prevents me to log-in to check my driver numbers, but it would explain why outrun 2 jumped from 10% to 65% gpu utilization with framegen. i'm not getting my hopes up nvidia fixes anything though

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly I'm not sure what it is I'm doing wrong

NO FRAMEGEN 72 FPS

BlPE9eh.jpg

FRAMEGEN 72 FPS (so doubled to 144)
PS8lh6g.jpg

native 144 FPS
Q5weaUI.jpg
It does show to me that using framegen 2.0 to double 72 FPS into 144 FPS is reaching the same performance impact as 144 FPS.

So overall the usefulness of framegen from lossless scaling is mostly centered around old PC games, emulators and games that have a hard framerate lock rather than games where you can reach the FPS target yourself.

But maybe the GPU driver is the culprit

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not to be overbearing, but is there a tell that framegen and/or scaling works. I can see GPU utilization jumps up if i hit the hotkeys regardless of game and window settings but no idea if it works soemtimes

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Not to be overbearing, but is there a tell that framegen and/or scaling works. I can see GPU utilization jumps up if i hit the hotkeys regardless of game and window settings but no idea if it works soemtimes
Motion clarity is improved. And if you really want to make sure that Lossless Scaling frame gen is turned on, then toggle the Show FPS button in Lossless Scaling which will show an "output FPS" number at the top corner of your screen when frame gen is enabled

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
For framegen, it's most obvious in games that are locked at 30FPS. Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD and Okami look like brand-new remasters where the developers went back in and updated all the animations for higher framerates.

For games locked at 60, one of the easiest ways to tell if framegen is working is looking at objects moving by in-game and see how "blurry" they look on the screen with framegen on vs. off. There should appear to be a lot less blurriness at 120 vs 60 (or 144 vs 72, etc).

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Hmm it's raising blacks when HDR is enabled , just a tiny bit. (the HDR option is on in the app)
Just noticed it in Hellblade, sadly.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Version 2.8.2 is out on the beta branch. For those who are on the 555.85 Nvidia drivers, this reworks a lot of LSFG 2.0 (non-Performance mode) to maintain the same GPU usage as before. Slightly older GPUs might even see a slight increase, apparently.

OP
OP
MimosaSTG

MimosaSTG

Jun 7, 2022
Been using this on Granblue Fantasy Versus: Rising... It's criminal that fighting games don't support 120FPS natively. Motion clarity is amazing, but since this isn't a real 120FPS you don't get the reduced input latency.

Salient_Lion

Dec 20, 2020
How's the input latency when using this? If I use FG to go from 60 > 120, does it still have the same input latency of running the game at 60fps, but with the motion clarity of 120? Or does it have more or less input latency than the base 60?

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
How's the input latency when using this? If I use FG to go from 60 > 120, does it still have the same input latency of running the game at 60fps, but with the motion clarity of 120? Or does it have more or less input latency than the base 60?
The latency will remain the same. Whether you're scaling, using framegen, or both, this app doesn't actually alter any game files or change the engine in any way, etc; it's just a post-processing effect. (A very, very good one, but still.)

Salient_Lion

Dec 20, 2020
The latency will remain the same. Whether you're scaling, using framegen, or both, this app doesn't actually alter any game files or change the engine in any way, etc; it's just a post-processing effect. (A very, very good one, but still.)

Got it. So it'll feel like 60fps but look like 120. Seems to be worth a shot. Thanks.

Jroc

Jun 9, 2018
Has anyone tried this with low frame rate 2D games like Fallout 1 and Diablo 1 where the sprites have limited animation frames?

Folie

Dec 16, 2017
Has anyone tried this with low frame rate 2D games like Fallout 1 and Diablo 1 where the sprites have limited animation frames?

Yep I've tried with Planescape Torment and it was nice. Not a massive difference overall, but noticeably smoother animations (40 base fps to 80 fps)

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, nevermind. I missed the above post about the Nvidia driver bug.

Turning Performance Mode on seems to work OK for me on the latest Nvidia drivers.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
2.8.2 is out of beta now, doesn't seem to be any further changes.

The app itself is also really taking off recently. Just saw this in the discord:
Screenshot_2024-05-25-10-54-50-57_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643.jpg

That +353% jump in users in January (when framegen was introduced) is nuts

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
2.8.2 is out of beta now, doesn't seem to be any further changes.

The app itself is also really taking off recently. Just saw this in the discord:
Screenshot_2024-05-25-10-54-50-57_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643.jpg

That +353% jump in users in January (when framegen was introduced) is nuts
It's deserved. Great app and it massively improved.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
A new patch with a promise of 3X FPS and more improvements is coming early next month. I wonder if this means limiting the FPS to 40 results in 120 FPS. The input lag is certainly worrying, but I'm looking forward to the new patch nevertheless.

image.png

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Triple FPS sounds absolutely insane...but if anyone could pull this off, it's the dev who got me playing through Final Fantasy X, Okami, etc. in a way-more-convincing-than-should-ever-be-possible 60 FPS. Very curious how an interpolated 90 FPS will look there.

Lilly-Anne

Feb 14, 2024
i really wish someone figures out a way of running this on Linux one day, this would be such a fantastic addition the the Deck

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
i really wish someone figures out a way of running this on Linux one day, this would be such a fantastic addition the the Deck

I would very much like Baldur's Gate 3 at 30 FPS interpolated to 90 FPS.

Triple FPS sounds absolutely insane...but if anyone could pull this off, it's the dev who got me playing through Final Fantasy X, Okami, etc. in a way-more-convincing-than-should-ever-be-possible 60 FPS. Very curious how an interpolated 90 FPS will look there.

I'd like to think it would look a bit smoother. Not sure if that would mean 2x the latency increase though.

Folie

Dec 16, 2017
The triple thing is cool but at a certain point you can't get away from the disconnect between the look of say 120fps and the feel/input latency of 40fps. I'd never really understood the clamour about input latency before messing with frame gen/LS, but it makes a lot more sense when you're hands on + eyes on that disparity between look and feel (this is not me slamming LS, I love it)

Eye_of_Sauron

Feb 27, 2024
Tried it out with TOTK on Yuzu, with ultracam i was already getting 48-60 fps, now ti goes up to 90-120 fps. But enabling the LS is killing my VRR on my C1. It it not compatible with VRR?

Dega

Oct 25, 2017
Tried it out with TOTK on Yuzu, with ultracam i was already getting 48-60 fps, now ti goes up to 90-120 fps. But enabling the LS is killing my VRR on my C1. It it not compatible with VRR?
Isn't there a VRR support option when you scroll down to the very bottom on the right side? Tried that?

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
2.9 is out now with x3 framegen! Tried it out on several games and am blown away. Okami at 90 FPS looks so good, there's even less ghosting in FFX/X-2; hell, even the infamous 15 FPS battles in Final Fantasy IV 3D look pretty decent at 45 now.

Getting a smooth 144 FPS from games manually capped to 48 is amazing. LSFG 2.1 now also doesn't draw any frames that go over the limit, so games capped at 60 are a lot smoother at 144 now too. This dev is an actual wizard

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
2.9 is out now with x3 framegen! Tried it out on several games and am blown away. Okami at 90 FPS looks so good, there's even less ghosting in FFX/X-2; hell, even the infamous 15 FPS battles in Final Fantasy IV 3D look pretty decent at 45 now.

Getting a smooth 144 FPS from games manually capped to 48 is amazing. LSFG 2.1 now also doesn't draw any frames that go over the limit, so games capped at 60 are a lot smoother at 144 now too. This dev is an actual wizard

The update message on Discord also mentions that it doesn't increase latency, so that sounds like a really nice perk.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
just tested 3X with my goto Metal Wolf Chaos DX, does indeed feel very smooth but still a bit of image breaking like micro screen tearing. Tested Okami also, too much artifacts when rotating the camera. Crazy how nVidia still haven't implement this into their driver like AMD AFMF.

Lilly-Anne

Feb 14, 2024
Tried x3 with Let It Die (natively locked at 60fps) and its an absolute trear, and i really do not notice the added input latency

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I tried out the new 3X update in Katamari Damacy Reroll, which is locked to 30 FPS, and it worked surprisingly well.
I played one of the final levels that are 20 minutes long, and even by the halfway point, toggling lossless scaling off started looking like a slideshow.
I've struggled with motion sickness a lot in this game, and it definitely helps.

At the same time, you have to not look too closely.
While it is a lot smoother, the interpolation artifacts are kind of obvious too.

The other thing that surprised me was how… okay 90 FPS was at 120Hz.
When dealing with games that can run natively at 90 FPS, but have a camera that updates at multiples of 60 (e.g. Dishonored 2/Deathloop) or have VRR disabled, I would generally say that capping to 60 FPS produces a smoother image than 90.
But here, interpolating to 90 seems preferable even though VRR is not active. 60 is noticeably less smooth.

It could also be that the starting point of 30 FPS is just so bad that 90 starts looking better regardless of whether there's some slight judder remaining.

It does seem important to use an external frame rate limiter to set your target frame rate, as games will not be properly smooth unless the frame-time chart is perfectly flat.
And only the DXGI capture method seemed to work properly at 3X.

Like DLSS/FSR3 frame gen, I would choose just about any alternative to get natively higher frame rates first.
If dropping to DLSS Ultra Performance will get me 90–120FPS natively, I'll take it over interpolation any day.
But if it's a game where the frame rate has a hard limit, or nothing I do can improve the frame rate further, it's a nice option to have.