signal

Oct 28, 2017
magic.wizards.com

A First Look at The Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle-earth™

Join the Fellowship and explore Middle-earth when Magic: The Gathering meets The Lord of the Rings this June and November!

The Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle-earth™ brings to life the iconic world of J.R.R. Tolkien and lets you follow the paths of beloved characters in the way only Magic: The Gathering Universes Beyond can. Play your favorite moments of the Third Age or turn Middle-earth on its head and surrender to the temptation of the One Ring. It's all in your hands, so prepare to step onto the road—there's no knowing where you'll be swept off to or who you'll meet!

Some of the cards below. Also guess which card had its post on the mtg subreddit locked??

Z5gWYSo.png

PmsFbY6.png

LkCBR5M.png

JNiePOy.png

djXlxhd.png

FzzHMqb.jpg

SigmasonicX if you were going to make a real thread let me know I'll close this caca

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why does Sam look like the dude who waxes my surfboard?

They made Aragorn a PoC?

Chud's are gonna have their heads explode....

cake

Oct 25, 2017
I love the stylized versions with the ring around the art, really great way to do those.

There's also the singular print version (literally one copy in the world) of the One Ring that's gonna be wildly expensive and probably will land in a ditch somewhere.

335182353_6461097217235090_1179811129451831233_n.jpg

arrested-development.gif

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The art feels a bit like it can't quite decide if it wants to be old school or modern. Not a fan of that Balrog

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hey casual LOTR fan we want to bring into MTG, look how absurdly complicated our number of SKUs and variants are! No wait where are you going we have Powerpoint slides to explain it!

Aragorn looking amazing though. All for that.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
It's really cool how they made Gandalf a powerful wizard that does something good and then disappears for a while, just like in the books. The flavor in general seems spot on.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Are these going to in standard?

Nah. The booster set is Modern Legal, and the Commander set is Legacy legal. And on MTGA the booster set is in Alchemy and Historic. But that's only for "new to Magic" cards, so this won't change the legality of any reprinted cards, which is kind of weird.

Tabletop Legality (New-to-Magic Cards):

• The Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle-earth (LTR): Modern, Legacy, Vintage, and Commander
  • The Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle-earth Commander (LTC): Legacy, Vintage, and Commander
MTG Arena Legality:

• The Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle-earth (LTR): Alchemy and Historic
  • The Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle-earth Commander (LTC): Not available on MTG Arena

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
holy shit, they used the proper quote from the books.

granted maybe gandalf did say "you cannot pass" in the film version of fellowship (haven't watched it in a minute), but if he did, it was definitely forgotten about in public consciousness. which sucks, because 'cannot' is way cooler and badass in context of fighting a milennia old fire demon of the dark lord in a last stand to save your companionship.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
"Hey did you see that Magic the Gathering is crossing over with LOtR?"
"Nah I don't play that game and don't care. Nothing would make me care that even exists."
"They made Aragorn black.."
"Oh those MF…start the coffee, this is gonna be a long night…"

granted maybe gandalf did say "you cannot pass" in the film version of fellowship, but if he did, it was definitely forgotten about in public consciousness. which sucks, because 'cannot' is way cooler and badass in context of fighting a milennia old fire demon of the dark lord in a last stand to save your companionship.

You can definitely tell they did their homework and or are massive LOTR fans. Some of the ways they adapted the game lord to the book lord like the characters archetypes is great.

And I also dig that they used the map art for lands though I know it's not a popular idea.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

granted maybe gandalf did say "you cannot pass" in the film version of fellowship (haven't watched it in a minute), but if he did, it was definitely forgotten about in public consciousness. which sucks, because 'cannot' is way cooler and badass in context of fighting a milennia old fire demon of the dark lord in a last stand to save your companionship.

LOTR fan membership card revoked
UlUo.gif

And 'Shall not pass' is better.

Oct 25, 2017
You would hope that Wizards takes measures to get that 1/1 Ring card in to a pack that's going out early and will surely be opened on a pre-release night or whatever.

Mr. Robot

Oct 30, 2017
I think its bullshit that the pretty cards are only in the expensive boxes, but i guess thats a TCGs thing.
I mean it would be meta if the one ring ends up on a random foil pack.

Bii

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god, I forgot about the collector boosters. I guess that's what this is going in?

I hate how they've jacked the prices for these LOTR products. I was looking forward to it but it's really killed my enthusiasm.

It's total BS. Here's the chart showing that the one card is only in collector's boxes or an individual collector's booster pack ($31/each)

en_FD0O34pp7Aka.jpg

Collector's booster boxes are usually not $400+. For previous sets, you can get collector's booster boxes for $180-$230.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Neat. Not gonna collect these but I'll definitely go to the launch event.

I like the idea for the land cards but not the execution. Too much green in all of them imo.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
They made Aragorn a PoC?

Chud's are gonna have their heads explode....

Eowyn too, so doubly so. My nerdy nitpicking mind just instantly went to how elaborately they are dressed while still recovering from almost dying in the Houses of Healing (if the card is supposed to portray the moment of the quote that is), but whatever makes them feel better.

Reprieve-400x559.jpg

Shyranui

Oct 29, 2017
Spain
I like the art a lot, maybe I'll buy a pack or something just for the novelty. But never liked this model of random packs, it feels like lottery and you have to spend so much money. But that's my collector's brain talking, that's why I'll stick with my LCG collection

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I like the art a lot, maybe I'll buy a pack or something just for the novelty. But never liked this model of random packs, it feels like lottery and you have to spend so much money. But that's my collector's brain talking, that's why I'll stick with my LCG collection
You could always wait and buy singles of ones you think look nice. Not as fun though!

TerryLee81

Oct 26, 2017
Man I really like the designs. I never thought that I would buy MTG cards again, but here I am. I will not buy the collectors booster thought, what the hell at the price.