• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
As a person who uses Twitter a lot, one think I see all the time is how dissatisfied and dissapointed people are that Nintendo doesn't support games like Mario Maker, Animal Crossing or Mario sports games for years like other live service games from other companies have done. Here are some tweets with a lot of reactions to show is not a few people speaking:
https://twitter.com/shanhorandraws/status/1637999361220296705?s=20

View: https://twitter.com/shanhorandraws/status/1637999361220296705?s=20

https://twitter.com/Mrhippo58957232/status/1638200323389964289?s=20

View: https://twitter.com/Mrhippo58957232/status/1638200323389964289?s=20

The answer most people think is "just support the games more, they can because they have the money", but for what we know that probably would mean getting less new games as a result since the devs would be busy, and we know Nintendo fans can also get really dissatisfied if they don't get lots of games from different series constantly, for example if people have been asking for a new Golden Sun, the chances of getting one could be even less if Camelot supports their sports games for years. Do you think they should expand their studios to have people to exclusively support games for years to come? Or this doesn't matter?

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
GOOD. I'd much rather they move on to new game development than turn these into GAAS nightmares. Fuck that noise.

I hate this modern notion that online games need to just get updated with minor bullshit indefinitely. I'd always rather get a new sequel to an online game a few years later than have one game drag on for 7+ years.

Oct 27, 2017
GOOD. I'd much rather they move on to new game development than turn these into GAAS nightmares. Fuck that noise.

I hate this modern notion that online games need to just get updated with minor bullshit indefinitely. I'd always rather get a new sequel to an online game a few years later than have one game drag on for 7+ years.
First post nails it. Very glad Nintendo doesn't go down the route of chasing constant engagement for single player games like others. Leave that shit to Ubisoft.

Strandr

Oct 12, 2019
So many armchair developers on twitter

I'm personally disappointed that we never got anything for Mario Odyssey, but I bet their internal attach rate graphs were just showing Animal Crossing players get less and less with each update. It makes sense that those who still play want new content, but I bet there's far less of them than they think...

I bet after the perfectly timed pandemic release of Animal Crossing each new game will be like an _event_ to all get back in together

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Mario Maker 2 and Animal Crossing both got a massive dump at the end of new content, that could have been spread out over 2-3 years if they wanted it. I think at the end of the day the Nintendo fans that complain will never be happy regardless of how much content a game has at launch or how much is added for free or paid post launch. I've seen the argument for the Mario sports games that "I'd rather all the content be available at launch since I'm done with the game by the time it came out", but if they has delayed the game and put all that content in day 1 people would then complain "why did Nintendo abandon x? They should have kept adding content".

Most games should not be Fortnite that constantly get content updates for years and years.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Like I said there, the problem is that Nintendo EPD Group 5 does both games. To be specific, 30-40% of their staff is shared between Animal Crossing & Splatoon. They couldn't really support New Horizons indefinitely without screwing over Splatoon 3.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

First post nails it. Very glad Nintendo doesn't go down the route of chasing constant engagement for single player games like others. Leave that shit to Ubisoft.
agree

release a complete game and move on
While I can fully understand that people would like more support for a game they love I'm fully behind not turning everything into a GaaS nightmare, and people in general should buy a game for what it is, not what it could be.
It's more of a case-by-case thing. For example, Street Fighter V wouldn't have rebounded as much as it did if Capcom didn't support it for so long.

Hell, fighting games in general have flourished under the long-term support model, especially regarding DLC. Not just SFV, but Tekken 7 as well.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Whenever i see animal crossing fans complain about content i just think about this tierlist lol

EjYaDkrVoAA0IXc.png

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I'm fine with games just... being done, honestly. There are so many games to play, I don't need to play the same things for years.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
No issues at all. 2 year cycle of updates plus paid DLC for the bigger games. Then move on to something else. If the core gameplay is fun, it stays fun without further updates.
What they're doing with Mario Kart 8 is almost miraculous and it's only really possible because of Tour.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK

First post nails it

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
No issues at all. 2 year cycle of updates plus paid DLC for the bigger games. Then move on to something else. If the core gameplay is fun, it stays fun without further updates.
What they're doing with Mario Kart 8 is almost miraculous and it's only really possible because of Tour.
As mentioned earlier, fighting games benefit from being supported longer. I kinda wish Smash got at least a third season of DLC.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
While I can fully understand that people would like more support for a game they love I'm fully behind not turning everything into a GaaS nightmare, and people in general should buy a game for what it is, not what it could be.

lilty

Oct 25, 2017
New Brunswick
My problem is that these games on Switch have had a reduced amount of content compared to previous entries in the same franchise and that continued to be true despite receiving post launch updates. Animal Crossing removed so much from New Leaf, and don't even get me started on the state of Mario sports titles. It's even more annoying when many of these games were better on 3DS for half the price.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
The problem is that they themselves are releasing games that feel incomplete on release. And they are aware of it, or else they wouldn't be doing all these free updates.

So when the stream of updates stops, it's like release date again where you point out exactly what you felt was left missing (for example, singleplayer missions/modes/goals/unlockables in sports games, villager interactions, shop upgrades multiplayer minigames or furniture collections in AC...) except you are way past the excitement of the release date and also aware that they don't plan to address any of that anymore. So you were dragged for a few months with that vague hope of what the game could become, only to be left with a middle point that ignored some of the core problems.

I won't say it's easy to do in the HD era, but if the games felt complete on release and didn't promise any big free updates, people wouldn't ask for more free updates after they end.

Having said all that, with Animal Crossing in particular I was happy to get new things to do a year after release.

Last edited:

fhqwhgads

Oct 28, 2017
Whenever i see animal crossing fans complain about content i just think about this tierlist lol

EjYaDkrVoAA0IXc.png
>Splatoon fans
>Pleasant

Jokes aside, I'll admit I was disappointed that Mario Maker 2 didn't get at least one more update, but the last update brought in some real game changing content. The amount of stuff you can mess around with using the Link and SMB2 deals are incredibly fun.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019

Yeah, except for the fact that most of the games Nintendo has released recently are missing substantial content on day 1 and even after the measly amount of support they give them, they don't live up to previous entries in their franchise due to a complete lack of content. They promise updates and then do the absolute bare minimum.
(ex. Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Strikers: Battle League, Mario Golf Super Rush, Nintendo Switch Sports)

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Great. I don't want DLC or event updates or free content. I want the games to end. If there's some bugs that need fixing, by all means do a patch, but aside from that I'd rather see the developers move on to the next project, so we get that sooner, instead of endless updates for the same game.

Oct 31, 2017

I agree.

Some of the stuff that got added via "support" were things that I've found out were in earlier Animal Crossing games (New Horizons was my first one and was a lovely experience). I'd rather all that stuff be in the original game/cartridge and we simply discover it through playing.

Yeah, except for the fact that most of the games Nintendo has released recently are missing substantial content on day 1 and even after the measly amount of support they give them, they don't live up to previous entries in their franchise due to a complete lack of content. They promise updates and then do the absolute bare minimum.
(ex. Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Strikers: Battle League, Mario Golf Super Rush, Nintendo Switch Sports)

This I feel is similar to my "complaint." I loved Animal Crossing: New Horizons, but if support just means gradually getting features you had in other games, then just give me a full game on disc/cartridge/download.

SFV's special editions are terrific, so just have that shit from the beginning. From my understanding, people were waiting for updates for Halo Infinite that would add features that were in older games like Halo 3.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I wouldn't say New Horizons released complete by any means. It eventually got to a baseline acceptable level when compared to prior titles, but that it never went beyond that is pretty sad.

Happy Home Paradise along with the little Harvy area and stuff made the game more than acceptable, it brought extremely interesting loops and filled out daily stuff. It now has a lot to do daily and interesting aspects the other games don't have, and HHP adds a ton of flavor.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No amount of additional support would fix the problems with New Horizons

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I agree.

Some of the stuff that got added via "support" were things that I've found out were in earlier Animal Crossing games (New Horizons was my first one and was a lovely experience). I'd rather all that stuff be in the original game/cartridge and we simply discover it through playing.

This I feel is similar to my "complaint." I loved Animal Crossing: New Horizons, but if support just means gradually getting features you had in other games, then just give me a full game on disc/cartridge/download.

SFV's special editions are terrific, so just have that shit from the beginning. From my understanding, people were waiting for updates for Halo Infinite that would add features that were in older games like Halo 3.

well, some of this is just modern gaming for you. it takes a lot more to make a game now. that and bringing forward every feature from older games is not reasonable.

content is not released in a vacuum either and lots of things added in SFV were in response to the response to the game itself.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
That depends on what you mean by "that special edition shit". If you mean the DLC characters, that's not really how fighting game character creation works. You might have an argument regarding the modes since SFV was very clearly rushed out the door. But bringing forward every single mode isn't always feasible.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo aren't as big as you'd think in terms of development resources and they use them on new games.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Ressources are finite and out of control recruitment is never the answer

Not everything has to be a GaaS derivative

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
I think only a tiny amount of players basically discovered everything about the game and now feel there's too little content.

I believe they made enough money with New Horizons. :)

Derbel McDillet

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 23, 2022
I was whatever about Animal Crossing.

I still feel ripped off when it comes to Super Mario Party. 4 tiny boards. "Oh surely they'll update this."
15 million copies sold. "Here's the online so y'all don't get mad at us for the next game having it." The next one? In which they practically did the same thing again, but at least I had learned my lesson.

Would you even call Mario Strikers Battle League supported?

Oh right, I forgot about Switch Sports.

The thread is primarily about single player games, but even the multiplayer ones have this problem.

Last edited:

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I think if they're going to always do the stupid "free update" shit with games then they should actually commit to adding more than what they're currently adding to the games post-release, or release finished games day 1.

This "GAAS" argument in this thread is really disingenuous though. Not the same thing.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
On one hand I think both Animal Crossing and Mario Maker 2 could have used 1 last nice chunk of content. On the other it's a okay for games to just be what they are and the devs move on.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
also regarding the actual topic, I hate the idea that every game needs to be supported in perpetuum.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
They should do absolutely nothing about it. I prefer complete games on card over drip feeding content and selling additional download content later on.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I would rather just get new games as most here have stated. I rarely go back to single player games that have dlc added into the base game. Expansions are fine but why not just add that to the sequel?

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Animal crossing needed to end so we can get a new better one next time.

thankfully a lot of the hardest work is done. people forget how many assets were copy/pasted from the original GC game in the later Animal Crossing games. but character models and the now immense amount of furniture future proofs that base.

Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting they're still constantly releasing and selling new content for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (which was already a rerelease), but have just left Animal Crossing alone. I guess they're in the experimentation phase.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Like I said there, the problem is that Nintendo EPD Group 5 does both games. To be specific, 30-40% of their staff is shared between Animal Crossing & Splatoon. They couldn't really support New Horizons indefinitely without screwing over Splatoon 3.

It's simple, we kill the Inklings