• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Today in Yikes

During his performance, the comedian said he used to love New York City, his home for many years, but that now he hates it, implying it's because of the negative attention he receives.

The show drew an audience of around 5,000 men and women of all ages. Most appeared to be fans who felt the severity of the misconduct was not enough to justify a boycott.

"We don't support what he did to those women, but we like him as a comedian," said Asaf, who came to the show with his wife, Tal. They declined to give their last name out of privacy concerns. "It's not like he raped someone," he added.

After discussing his own misconduct, he observed that in sexual situations women sometimes act as though everything is OK when they are actually fearful or disgusted — and that men mistake this for consent. He compared it to listening to African-American slave spirituals and mistaking them for an expression of contentment.

It was perhaps the closest C.K. came to acknowledging that he had learned something deeper from his misconduct and its aftermath, and it was well-received, just like all the other jokes.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
000000000000000000000000000oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo_O000000000000000000000000000_o

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good time to mention the Auschwitz Museum just passed 750k followers on Twitter and that everyone should follow them and pay more attention to what they have to say than a fool like Louis CK.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
tenor.gif

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
And I'd rather have my balls ripped off then go to one of his stand up shows, what a fucking piece of shit

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Man that is peak white male privilege complaining about people not fucking with him to one of the greatest tragedies in history. I am starting to think his comedy was more self referral then you would think

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
imagine comparing your own self-inflicted problems to one of the most horrific atrocities in history.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I have been rightfully criticized for a horrible thing I did to several people and now my life is worse than the holocaust waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
It's worth noting that he probably could have told this exact joke a few years ago and absolutely nobody would have thought twice about it.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I mean, he's always had dark stuff like that. There is a place for dark and offensive comedy.

What makes Louie a piece of shit is what he did in real life to actual people and how he has responded to it being made public.

"We don't support what he did to those women, but we like him as a comedian," said Asaf, who came to the show with his wife, Tal. They declined to give their last name out of privacy concerns. "It's not like he raped someone," he added.

This is what bothers me. This is unfortunately how many people view sexual assault. "Well, I mean, he didn't rape her or anything."

What the fuck.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a less controversial context imo. He made the joke on their turf, in front of 5000 Jewish people. If he had crossed a line with his dark comedy, they'd let him know.

Louie defenders keep pretending that this man's whole life was ruined, yet he's out here touring internationally smh.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Apparently the crowd liked it.
This is not surprising. Holocaust jokes are pretty common in Israel, more common than anywhere else I have been. I would say that generally if your punchline of your joke is not "the nazis were right" you would be fine, it might be considered "edgy" or controversial, but it's not something that comedians in trouble in Israel usually.

p.s.
Louis CK should go fuck itself and never come back, there was actually a protest outside his show, but it was about his sexual assault stuff.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
It's worth noting that he probably could have told this exact joke a few years ago and absolutely nobody would have thought twice about it.
Yeah the issue with this joke isn't the edginess or NYC being a shitty city. It's that people don't like him as much because he ya know - jacked off in front of people against their consent and ruined careers and faced no punishment for any of it and is constantly crying about it.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
This is not surprising. Holocaust jokes are pretty common in Israel, more common than anywhere else I have been. I would say that generally if your punchline of your joke is not "the nazis were right" you would be fine, it might be considered "edgy" or controversial, but it's not something that comedians in trouble in Israel usually.

p.s.
Louis CK should go fuck itself and never come back, there was actually a protest outside his show, but it was about his sexual assault stuff.
What happens if you joke about it being a settler colonialist state that's been ethnic cleansing Palestinians for decades while painting themselves as the victims the entire time? I imagine a punchline like that wouldn't go over as well

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
It's a less controversial context imo. He made the joke on their turf, in front of 5000 Jewish people. If he had crossed a line with his dark comedy, they'd let him know.

Louie defenders keep pretending that this man's whole life was ruined, yet he's out here touring internationally smh.
No one gets canceled, but they do hit a ceiling. Dude had a whole movie thrown in the abyss cause of his bullshit

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
that last quote was important, IMO....the title, well, that was a joke

(note, I didn't say "just a joke")

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man commits various forms of sexual assault/ harassment and then starts making comparisons to the holocaust and slavery?

Sounds about right for a piece of shit.

Last edited:

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God, why can't a meteor just wipe us out already

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What happens if you joke about it being a settler colonialist state that's been ethnic cleansing Palestinians for decades while painting themselves as the victims the entire time? I imagine a punchline like that wouldn't go over as well
Depends on the crowd, but there is generally a big audience for racist, anti Palestinian comedy in Israel.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Yeah the issue with this joke isn't the edginess or NYC being a shitty city. It's that people don't like him as much because he ya know - jacked off in front of people against their consent and ruined careers and faced no punishment for any of it and is constantly crying about it.
It doesn't exactly sound like he's crying about it, though. He compared jokingly compared it to Auschwitz. The point of the bit isn't 'pity me for my terrible life', it's 'being me right now is going exactly as well as you think'.

It just feels like people are pretending this is particularly out of character for him, when instead it feels like a pretty direct continuation of his previous comedic voice.