Apr 19, 2018

EW: Where once Christina Aguilera asked, "Who is this girl I see, staring straight back at me?," she now has a different question for Mulan fans.

"Tell me underneath my armor, am I loyal, brave, and true?" she inquires in her new song "Loyal Brave True." The track originally debuted back in March ahead of the premiere of the live-action Mulan. Now with the film poised for a premium release on Disney+ on Sept. 4, Aguilera delivers a new music video of the original tune.

It features Aguilera belting out the new song, which was written by Jamie Hartman, Harry Gregson-Williams, Rosi Golan, and Billy Crabtree. She sings in front of backdrops featuring shots from the new film, intercut with evocative imagery of Yifei Lui as Mulan. It's reflective of the end credit title design, which is where the new song plays in the movie.

"Loyal Brave True" is a new entry in the Aguilera-Disney canon, who had her debut single with "Reflection" back in 1998 [sung in-film by Lea Salonga] after being a member of the rebooted Mickey Mouse Club. But never fear, if you're missing "Reflection" and "Loyal Brave True" just doesn't quite do it for you, Aguilera has also recorded a new version of that iconic hit.

Both of these songs and more will be featured in the film and on the Walt Disney Records soundtrack, which will also release on Sept. 4.

And a quick rundown reminder of how they're approaching the rest of the music:
Director Niki Caro revealed that the remake won't feature any songs from the original film; the film instead will feature instrumental versions of the original film's songs. Caro later explained that the songs were deleted because she felt it didn't fit with her realistic vision of the film; she believes that since people do not break out into song as they enter war, the film should not either. Producer Jason T. Reed clarified Caro's previous statement by saying that the songs will be featured "in a slightly different way" in the remake.

Harry Gregson-Williams, who previously worked with Caro on The Zookeeper's Wife, composed the film's score.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Not using the original songs is a huge reason for my wife's lack of interest in this film. She is a HUGE fan of the original. Not being able to sing along to Be a Man at home drops this from a must-watch to an "Ehh, when it's free on Disney+..."

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Not using the original songs is a huge reason for my wife's lack of interest in this film. She is a HUGE fan of the original. Not being able to sing along to Be a Man at home drops this from a must-watch to an "Ehh, when it's free on Disney+..."

If we get orchestral make a man out of you tho that will still be nice

But yeah it is a bit disappointing.

OP
OP
Temtastic Muns
Apr 19, 2018

I'll admit a Gregson-Williams take on the song would be something I'd very much look forward to hearing.

Something along these lines would be amazing, though I suspect he may take an understated and more subtle tact with the arrangement:

Last edited:

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
The most head scratching decision across all of the Disney live action remakes is to not include full versions of the iconic Mulan songs. It's just wild to omit that essential ingredient.

she believes that since people do not break out into song as they enter war, the film should not either.
Wow this genius singlehandedly destroyed musicals with her merciless logic. Brutal!

RIP to all Disney classics.

OP
OP
Temtastic Muns
Apr 19, 2018

Yeah I can see this working REALLY well during a training montage actually. I'm getting chills thinking about it.

They sang "A Girl Worth Fighting For" on the way to fight Shang Yu.

You could also think of "Make A Man Out Of You" as a pre-war training song which is a thing, I'm pretty sure.

So if reviews of the film are to believed, it seems Gregson-Williams uses "Reflection" as a recurring motif, but the likes of "A Girl Worth Fighting For" and "Make a Man Out of You" are relegated to spoken dialogue homages only. Boooo.