Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I liked the film, it tried something new. But what totally put me off was the creatures themselves.
We're lead to believe they have super sensitive hearing and can hear some toy car from miles away? Or even the slightest sound so you can't even whisper?
But then they're standing right in front of you and can't hear you breath or your heartbeat?

giphy.gif

CGriffiths86

Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed the movie for what it was. I don't think I would enjoy most movies if I spent the whole time analyzing every piece of it. Sometimes you just have to enjoy the ride.

Oct 27, 2017
Some people like to be fully immersed in a film. If they're constantly noticing issues and inconsistencies in the general plot, it ruins the immersion and takes you out of the movie.
Being able to accept the premise of the movie has nothing to do with being fully immersed in the film, and I would argue if you're considering questions like "why didn't the military try sonic weapons" you're far less immersed in the film than somebody who can actually accept the premise and work with the information given in the film.

Given that people have questioned things directly ignoring what's shown in the film like "Yeah, about that nail... why was it there to begin with? Sticking upward in the middle of a stair?" (when the movie makes it very clear the tugging of the laundry bag dislodges the nail) and "We can't even walk on the ground without pouring sand because our footsteps are too loud but large-scale farming is just fine." and (when the movie makes it clear in the latter half that a significant element of the sand is to track movement, not just muffle sound), questioned thing which result from an outright rejection of the movie's premise like "Why not build a house near the waterfall? Why not soundproof your entire house?" (totally rejecting the premise that this is the house they're living in, completely rejecting that the creatures hunt by sound, and totally rejecting that civilisation has fallen so materials are scarce and things need to be done manually) and "and the military failed to eliminate them and not one person thought that creatures that rely on sound would be vulnerable to high pitched noises" (which rejects the concept of civilisation falling and rejects the movie's scope where we don't know about exterior groups; it also slightly ignores how impervious to traditional weaponry they are and how noisy military bases are) as well as displaying a more general lack of understanding of how humans operate with questions like 'why have a child in such a world' (when asking the question not only displays a lack of understanding of why they had the child directly shown in the film, and totally misses part of the thematic element of the film, but also is a very bizarre statement which fails to understand that people have children even in appalling circumstances), I absolutely reject the suggestion that one is more immersed in the film if you're continuously drawing upon things outside of the film and repeatedly rejecting its premise.

The plot of the movie is about a family trying to survive in a world which has largely fallen due to the presence of alien creatures; that's the general plot of the movie.

I absolutely agree that yes, the premise of the film is one which isn't built on a very solid core (likewise with most post-apocalyptic films, particularly zombie films and 'monster' movies both of which this draws on), but I don't remotely agree with the suggestion it's 'more immersed' to question 'inconsistencies' in the plot (in the way this particular film seems to draw them).

Last edited:

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
Lol, so you think in that situation the military would try to bomb the shit out of the aliens and literally give up when it wouldn't work?
No, not give up. Anyone who makes a sound dies. I assume any military forces try to go in guns blazing suffers heavy casualty, so they keep trying but nothing work. Eventually humanity dwindles with time.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
It really didn't fit the general tone of the movie.

That whole last act didn't make a lot of sense to me. If the solution was simply a malfunctioning hearing aid and a shotgun, why couldn't the military defeat the aliens?

What make you think they haven't?

We don't know much of anything that is happening outside this small farm.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Being able to accept the premise of the movie has nothing to do with being fully immersed in the film, and I would argue if you're considering questions like "why didn't the military try sonic weapons" you're far less immersed in the film than somebody who can actually accept the premise and work with the information given in the film.
Just because you have a few issues with the plot, doesn't mean you are outright rejecting the whole premise of the movie. I actually enjoyed the film quite a bit. I just would have enjoyed it even more if I wasn't occasionally rolling my eyes.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's that far-fetched that creatures that powerful could almost wipe out humanity. I've seen people mention tanks in some discussions, but those things would just ram them, rendering them useless and possibly killing or trapping the whole crew. It would take days for people to figure out that they're blind (let alone start spreading that information) in all that chaos, so they would have a while to kill everyone as fast as they can run. And boy are they fast.

All it really comes down to is how many there were and how spread out they were. I don't think they talked about that in the movie.

Also, I can understand them wanting to stay on the farm and have another child. They want to continue living. Sure they could huddle up in some damp noisy cave and essentially just survive, but evidently that was not what they wanted to do for the rest of their lives.

If the solution was simply a malfunctioning hearing aid and a shotgun, why couldn't the military defeat the aliens?
They didn't have years tinkering with frequencies and stumbling upon the right one by dumb luck.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
They didn't have years tinkering with frequencies and stumbling upon the right one by dumb luck.
Why not? They would have had better facilities, scientists and a more secure location than what Jim had to work with.

What make you think they haven't?

We don't know much of anything that is happening outside this small farm.
I mean it's possible they were just dealing with the remnants of a larger alien force.

Last edited:

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
The premise isn't completely coherent, but it's still interesting. Movies (and fiction in general) aren't supposed to be 100% foolproof jigsaw puzzles where everything makes absolute sense all the time, stories are allegories and metaphors and filmmakers are usually more concerned with that than with nitpicking the details, especially in genres where pathos is paramount.

The director and writer himself thought up a very weak backstory about aliens surviving their exploding planet and coming to earth aboard meteors which didn't make it into the movie and that frankly doesn't matter for the story at hand, you have to enter the game and accept certain plot elements in just about anything, like you must accept Stormtroopers have the worst aim in the galaxy while still taking the overall plot of Star Wars more or less seriously.

There are hundreds of ways of picking the setting apart, so I understand it might be too much for some people (I remember laughing at the thought of this being the ultimate nightmare for loud snorers) but it's ultimately a small coming of age story about family and their internal struggle garnished with interesting worldbuilding that is consistent enough to be entertaining.

It's an ok movie for its genre, it doesn't hold to scrutiny (especially that tone shifting ending) but it's still enjoyable IMO.

Last edited:

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Why not? They would have had better facilities and more secure location than what Jim had to work with.
Maybe they did figure it out eventually. But again, they didn't have the luxury of time.

Considering the weakness of these creatures, I think it's almost inevitable that people eventually learn how to fight back and reclaim earth. But that happens slowly from the brink of extinction and that is the point where the movie takes place.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Maybe they did figure it out eventually. But again, they didn't have the luxury of time.

Considering the weakness of these creatures, I think it's almost inevitable that people eventually learn how to fight back and reclaim earth. But that happens slowly from the brink of extinction and that is the point where the movie takes place.
Again I'm nitpicking but I would have thought a secure location would have bought them some time.

I agree with you though. The creatures have a glaring weakness that would have been exploited eventually.

OP
OP
Razmos

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Some people like to be fully immersed in a film. If they're constantly noticing issues and inconsistencies in the general plot, it ruins the immersion and takes you out of the movie.
Basically this, right from the start the film I was questioning things and it broke the immersion completely for the rest of the film and the issues just kept coming, so I could never just settle down into the film and enjoy it for what it was.

I can turn off my brain quite easily for most films, maybe having a laugh every now and again at something stupid.

The only way I can describe this film is that it was a parade of stupid that just wouldn't stop

Movies are dreams, and dreams aren't literal. It was a good lean metaphor about the struggles of parenting.
...there was a metaphor? Everyone's emotions and feelings were very much out in the open. The film was not as subtle as people suggest it is.

The movie is an allegory about the constant fear a parent has when rasing a child. Just look at it that way and stop nitpicking.
Again, where is the allegory here? The parents fears were not subtext or written in a complex way, they were expressed out in the open and not in a subtle way.

Last edited:

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I don't have any problem with the military being defeated, they're aliens and we never had a chance to figure out what they're made of and how they work.
Remember the alien tearing through the silo? I imagine a bunch of them could go through a tank like nothing. Again, these are completely alien creatures, who do not seem to even need to eat and exist in numbers, its likely that the military would fail.

As to sonic weapons, it seems as if people were just discovering that it was sound that drew the monsters so the last thing anyone would have thought of was to blast them with speakers attached to a Humvee, as that was pretty much immediate death.

Maybe humanity wouldn't have been able to print so many newspapers but it makes sense that it took a bit of time for the aliens to spread across the different continent's. The military would have been proactive in both trying to set up a front line and would have caused enough noise to draw all of the aliens to them for at least a little while.

Finally, its made clear in the film that there isn't just one meteor, they landed everywhere.

Deleted member 34725

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
I really dislike this movie. Lets watch the dumbest family in NA try to survive some monsters: the movie.

Also the premise that these things brought down the entire world is laughable. They detect you with sound and no on the planet besides this dumb family thought to shoot high pitch sound at them?

I could look past the dumbness if this were some B horror movie, but this movie also takes itself very seriously. I was shocked leaving the theater that it got such good reviews.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, as mentioned, most post-apocalyptic movies are absolutely rubbish when it comes to the actual rationale of how the world failed in the face of an apocalypse. The idea of a zombie apocalypse in a world where everyone knows about zombies is laughable. But you just have to accept it and move on.

Horror movies like A Quiet Place have another layer of "people do dumb things" on top of that, and you either go along with it or hate horror movies. I was the guy wondering why they aren't living by the loud thing all the time to mask the sound. Everyone's tolerance for how much they'll go along for what the filmmakers are trying to do is different.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
I can hear you a mile away. Also, I can't hear you breath ten feet away.

Deleted member 34725

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
For people suggesting how hard it would be to construct a house by the river, u just need a few tents. I mean at least move down to the river when your baby is close to being due.

Also, why is the house so cluttered?? The deaf daughter had knickknacks everywhere?! Everything should have been kept super minimalist if they were staying in the house. The entire movie was lacking detail and solid world building.

I understand the concept of turning your brain off and enjoying a horror movie (hell, I can enjoy a dumb sharknado movie), but this film thought it was smart and full of tension. It was not.

Oct 27, 2017
Just because you have a few issues with the plot, doesn't mean you are outright rejecting the whole premise of the movie. I actually enjoyed the film quite a bit. I just would have enjoyed it even more if I wasn't occasionally rolling my eyes.
The premise of the movie is that civilisation has mostly fallen due to an army of alien creatures which are impervious to traditional weaponry and hunt by sound. Issues with that premise (such as whether in our reality, rather than the movie's reality, such aliens would actually be defeated in time) are not issues with the plot, which is a family trying to survive in a world where such a thing has happened. Questioning things like 'why don't they build a house by a waterfall', 'why have a child' (although this is more plot-related than premise related, but questioning it is to be incredibly ignorant of how people act and totally ignores there's a reason given as to why they had a child in the movie), and 'why didn't the military defeat them' is not questioning the plot, they're all directly questioning and taking issue with the premise of the entire movie. Things (highlighted below) like "why did the father get attacked at the end when he didn't make an obvious noise" is taking issue with an element of the plot.

For people suggesting how hard it would be to construct a house by the river, u just need a few tents. I mean at least move down to the river when your baby is close to being due.

Also, why is the house so cluttered?? The deaf daughter had knickknacks everywhere?! Everything should have been kept super minimalist if they were staying in the house. The entire movie was lacking detail and solid world building.

I understand the concept of turning your brain off and enjoying a horror movie (hell, I can enjoy a dumb sharknado movie), but this film thought it was smart and full of tension. It was not.

Why would they live in tents in a damp location, leaving their house open to being seized and themselves robbed by any other survivors, when they had been living in a comfortable house with equipment (and their personal possessions) for months, a house in which they'd prepared defence mechanisms and knew the surrounding area (and how many aliens were in the area)? This is continuously one of the silliest things people take issue with in the movie. Not only is building a house there outright ridiculous, abandoning their fortified dwellings which provides enough food for a family of four/fiv to go live in a tent (even for a week or two) by a waterfall is even worse.

Last edited:

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I didn't think it was terrible but yeah, just bland overall. The final shot is hilarious tho, the sequel must be called "A Quiet Place My Ass: Revenge is Sweet".

Also, I don't understand why the father died, why the monster knew where he was? he was just standing there without doing any noise. Also, when the monster was attacking the kids... couldn't he just throw the axe at the pile of things to make noise and stay away from it?

I feel like it's a movie you just have to watch without analyzing absolutely anything.

New002

Oct 25, 2017
The movie is well put together for what it is, but if you think about the premise very much at all, it completely falls apart.

Yup. A friend was asking me what I thought of it after I saw it in theaters and I told them it's a solid movie so long as you don't think about it too much. I genuinely enjoyed it, but all me and mt buddy who I went to go see it with could talk about as we left the theater was all the shit that didn't make sense. Best to just turn your brain off going into it.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Why not? They would have had better facilities, scientists and a more secure location than what Jim had to work with.

I mean it's possible they were just dealing with the remnants of a larger alien force.
All that makes a lot of noise. For one, you have to get people to those secure locations. And then you have to research and test prototypes. Even if you make a working weapon, how are you going to produce it on a scale large enough to fight off an invasion? You need supplies to build with, engineering to construct, transportation to get those weapons to soldiers, wide-scale communication to coordinate, energy to power all those tools and facilities. All of those factors - from production to power to transport - makes an insane amount of noise. That's all before you have something to fight back with.

Also given the small scale of the movie (like we literally see other families surviving in the surrounding area, with a system of communication, but only focus on this one family and their farm) and the limited information that the characters have (Morse code through radio stations and they hadn't checked all the stations yet), all we can say with any certainty is that this is when this one particular family discovered this weakness, not they're the first people ever to discover it.

Last edited:

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
I liked the film, it tried something new. But what totally put me off was the creatures themselves.
We're lead to believe they have super sensitive hearing and can hear some toy car from miles away? Or even the slightest sound so you can't even whisper?
But then they're standing right in front of you and can't hear you breath or your heartbeat?

giphy.gif

Totally. The movie doesn't even respect its own rules. It's weak.

All that makes a lot of noise. For one, you have to get people to those secure locations. And then you have to research and test prototypes. Even if you make a working weapon, how are you going to produce it on a scale large enough to fight off an invasion? You need supplies to build with, engineering to construct, transportation to get those weapons to soldiers, wide-scale communication to coordinate, energy to power all those tools and facilities. All of those factors - from production to power to transport - makes an insane amount of noise. That's all before you have something to fight back with.

Also given the small scale of the movie (like we literally see other families surviving in the surrounding area, with a system of communication, but only focus on this one family and their farm) and the limited information that the characters have (Morse code through radio stations and they hadn't checked all the stations yet), all we can say with any certainty is that this is when this one particular family discovered this weakness, not they're the first people ever to discover it.

By adding multiple sound generators everywhere to confuse the creatures for instance. Or they could have put a music box in a huge hole and the creatures would be stuck there. Those creatures are stupid.

Scubamonk

Oct 30, 2017
I enjoyed the movie, but it was definitely a movie where my gf and I talked through the whole thing about why it doesn't really work.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I couldn't really get past the signsish weakness of the creatures. Like seriously the military never tried any kind of sonic weapons against creatures that are obviously sonically inclined? Makes no sense. Also just the stupidity of the characters, not checking for a nail you obviously just got caught on, open backed headphones, etc. Also getting pregnant in this world? Really? Y'all don't have any condoms laying around?

Also the whole dumping sand everywhere made zero sense, you would make more noise doing that then just trying to walk as quietly as possible.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why would they live in tents in a damp location, leaving their house open to being seized and themselves robbed by any other survivors, when they had been living in a comfortable house with equipment (and their personal possessions) for months, a house in which they'd prepared defence mechanisms and knew the surrounding area (and how many aliens were in the area)? This is continuously one of the silliest things people take issue with in the movie. Not only is building a house there outright ridiculous, abandoning their fortified dwellings which provides enough food for a family of four/fiv to go live in a tent (even for a week or two) by a waterfall is even worse.

"fortified dwellings"

Pretty sure they left doors open all the time and the monsters had been in every room by the time the movie ended.

Also, I don't know if you want to call anyone's ideas ridiculous given that the plan in the movie was to put the infant in a box with an oxygen mask on. Where are they going to enough oxygen tanks for the 2-3 years it will be before the kid is aware enough to be able to mostly control their movements and sounds? Double also, putting a 2 year old in a coffin whenever it cries seems like torture.

Your post made me think of a whole new reason the family is dumb. If they know that constant loud sounds provide cover, why wouldn't they use speakers to play waterfalls sounds at their house? Or any white noise-ish sound that can be looped?

If the aliens know to ignore the sound of waterfalls, why wouldn't they learn to ignore the sounds you play?

Nov 1, 2017
This was definitely an ok but severely flawed movie that was for some reason treated like a masterpiece when it came out. Maybe the epitome of having a cool idea, trying to stretch it out to 90 minutes, and just barely succeeding.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif
1) Why do you assume it was heard "from miles away"? Nothing in that scene implies that

2) The movie did show them whispering. The mother and son were whispering under their breath while signing in the house.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
The ending, the inconsistencies with the monsters hearing ability, the inability of the army to defeat the monsters, the stupid decisions of the characters. All of these points were addressed in the very beginning of the film.

its a movie, not a documentary

OP
OP
Razmos

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Also, I don't understand why the father died, why the monster knew where he was? he was just standing there without doing any noise. Also, when the monster was attacking the kids... couldn't he just throw the axe at the pile of things to make noise and stay away from it?
He drops the axe first to get its attention, then screams to get it to kill him.

The film has previously shown that making any sort of noise will cause the creatures to instantly pounce however.
So the fact that the creature stops long enough after he drops the axe to allow him to tell his daughter he loves her is silly, and goes against the films own rules so that they can have an emotional scene.

As to why he wouldn't just throw the axe somewhere else to make noise: well then we wouldn't have a dramatic sacrifice scene would we

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Watching movies in general must be a terrible experience for you. It was a very well acted, shot and directed movie. Go watch a documentary or something.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Loved it when I first saw it, still love it, and it was one of the most unique and interesting theater experiences I've had so nothing but good things to say about it from my end...

Does it have logic issues? Sure. Show me a movie that doesn't...

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
The ending, the inconsistencies with the monsters hearing ability, the inability of the army to defeat the monsters, the stupid decisions of the characters. All of these points were addressed in the very beginning of the film.

its a movie, not a documentary
It's the same reason why zombie movies don't show how the undead defeated the military or why zombie bites in movies react on a variable scale that best suits narrative purpose or emotional moments rather than rigid adherence to rules

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watching movies in general must be a terrible experience for you. It was a very well acted, shot and directed movie. Go watch a documentary or something.

There's a spectrum between documentaries and "it's just a movie so don't question anything ever"

For me and a lot of other people, the unanswered or poorly answered questions this movie brings up lessened our enjoyment of it.

If the monsters in the movie were 4' tall in one scene and 8' tall in the next scene, would you be like "wait, what?" or would you shrug it off as irrelevant because it's not Ken Burn's Vietnam?

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
Your post made me think of a whole new reason the family is dumb. If they know that constant loud sounds provide cover, why wouldn't they use speakers to play waterfalls sounds at their house? Or any white noise-ish sound that can be looped?

If the aliens know to ignore the sound of waterfalls, why wouldn't they learn to ignore the sounds you play?
- Thank you! -

Given that they know to use fireworks to create loud noises and distract the creatures, could they really not have set up some kind of radio or just a generator somewhere in an unreachable or hard-to-get place? Perch a couple of walkie-talkies high up in tree tops, suspend a few radios from cables and wires, etc. The dad clearly had the technical skill and know-how to create at least some kind of remote noise generator, either as a constant distraction to lure them away from the house, or just something easily turned on in times of emergency.

Oct 27, 2017
"fortified dwellings"

Pretty sure they left doors open all the time and the monsters had been in every room by the time the movie ended.

Also, I don't know if you want to call anyone's ideas ridiculous given that the plan in the movie was to put the infant in a box with an oxygen mask on. Where are they going to enough oxygen tanks for the 2-3 years it will be before the kid is aware enough to be able to mostly control their movements and sounds? Double also, putting a 2 year old in a coffin whenever it cries seems like torture.

A house is much more fortified against bother other survivors (and monsters, although not by a great deal for them) than a tent sitting near a waterfall is. The monsters went around the house in the movie because of a chain of events (i.e. the plot) which resulted in noises in the house and the monsters coming. It doesn't take a great deal of thought to see how ridiculous it is to suggest it's clever to abandon your house which has supplies, equipment, surveillance, and defences in place so that you can instead go to live in a tent by a waterfall, where you live in damp conditions and are much easier to rob. Again, how is it a more logical or smarter idea to abandon where you've been living safely for months and have put a lot of defence mechanisms in place to go live in a tent by a waterfall?

And because speakers can be destroyed so as soon as any gets turned on and a monster inevitably attacks it that plan fails? Surely you aren't serious with that suggestion or claiming the family is dumb for not thinking of using speakers, especially given the strength of the creatures in the movie.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with those people saying that it's okay if the premise of a film doesn't hold to scrutiny. I don't agree with those that say A Quiet Place's premise actually does hold. It really, really, doesn't. Sound proofing isn't really that hard, especially if we're talking about the military and potential large, underground bunkers. Alternatively you could just build a military base next to the Niagara Falls, y'know. And no, if there's enough time for newspapers to print "It's sound!", time isn't a restricting factor here. If we're taking actual physics into account, sound waves get weaker with distance squared, and there really isn't much sound getting out of a building (especially a building's basement).

But as I said, that doesn't really matter to me in evaluating the film. And for what it's worth, I liked it well enough while watching it in a cinema. The reason for all the hype that film got still eludes me, however. I really liked the idea of sound-hunting monsters, but world building was too sloppy / inconsistent to make that really work. I don't think it was really bad, but to be a really good film (which was what I expected when I watched it), there's left a lot to be desired. And yeah, the writing was atrocious in places.

That said, I don't really dislike the film or anything. I was well enough entertained and unless you think too much about it, that's something the film is actually pretty good at IMO. It's an OK film, nothing more, nothing less.