• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

Time to dive into another well regarded VN series. I'm fresh off the heels of the amazing Zero Escape series, so this will be quite the change up stylistically. And there's no better time to jump in considering the fairly massive VN sale going on PSN right now. People seemed to quite enjoy my playthrough impressions with Zero Escape, so here's my live impressions and thoughts as I go through this series of games.

-----

Oh shit the main menu music
tenor.gif

English dub why the fuck not.

Hell of a way to start a game, just kill someone via a spinning rocket

Oh shit, kuwabara goes to this school

lol, my first thought was "they totally brought this kid in to fuck with him didn't they?". Survey says yes so far

Ahhh, dpad cursor adjustment feels nice. My most missed thing in zero escape.

...the walking segment has cursed camera movement tho

Time to break out ye old notepad.exe. I can already tell these text blurbs in conversations will come up later. There's something...hm, nostalgic? About having to write down information in a game for later use.

Hmmm, a shame they didn't get the uncompressed audio files for the ps4 version.

Wonder if the student with the worst grades dies

I like how the game masks its loading screens. Like a popup story book

So to leave you have to murder. So the game's setup is who succumbs to cabin fever first? Interesting

No sprint button on shoulder pads? no problem, thank you again ps4 back button lol

I see Sayaka is positioned to be this game's "waifu" character.

Toko is a total incel

I trust Sayaka the least right now, feels like she's setting me up

I was wondering how they would speed up the process. Videos of things cherished ruined, with the dilemma being if its doctored or not. Mono is psychotic so probably not, but then again there'd be another tinge of despair if when a person graduates they say "The video was completely fake, you killed another person for nothing!"

Sayaka the first to go? Ooof

Junko just like that too, god damn. She got hit with that bang astral finish
giphy.gif

From the intro scene i wasn't expecting to their to be blood haha, even if it is stylized

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
Oh man, enjoy the ride! I loved Danganronpa 1 a lot, despite it being kind of over-the-top in a lot of ways. The cases make the game, though. The amazing music plus the mysteries are top-notch.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
lmao the past few months I've been watching a friend go through the ZE trilogy and then the DR trilogy just like you

at one point he said "I feel like it's good I started with ZE because I needed it to acclimate to this style of game before I jumped into DR"

Lt.Chips

Nov 4, 2017
Oh man, how I wish I could have my memory wiped so that I can experience this game again for the first time. Avoid spoilers, immerse yourself in the protag's situation, and enjoy!

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was so bummed when Junko died. At that point in the game she was the only one I liked.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Be sure to go 1->2->UDG->3 anime (some people don't like it, so semi-optional)->V3. It's a more consistently enjoyable series than ZE imo. Have fun.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Finished 1 and 2. From what I remembered, 1 was pretty good while 2 started turning into creepy, sexual territory. Currently playing Ultra Despair Girls and this seems even worse. Is that just the theme with this series? See how far they can push suggestive fan service?

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Don't listen to any dumb shit telling you to skip anything. I think the DR3 anime is absolutely dreadful and retroactively harms the 2nd game but you might be one of the people who actually do really like the anime, I don't know that, give it all a try.

Oct 25, 2017
Have fun, also skip the second game, it's trash.

Please do not listen to this person.
Be sure to go 1->2->UDG->3 anime (some people don't like it, so semi-optional)->V3. It's a more consistently enjoyable series than ZE imo. Have fun.
Yeah, while I actually do enjoy Ultra Despair Girls and the anime....I wouldn't even consider them semi optional. They are completely optional and I wouldn't recommend either of them to someone unless they just REALLY feel like they have to get everything they can out of the series.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Finished 1 and 2. From what I remembered, 1 was pretty good while 2 started turning into creepy, sexual territory. Currently playing Ultra Despair Girls and this seems even worse. Is that just the theme with this series? See how far they can push suggestive fan service?
UDG is trash and can be ignored.

V3 can be divisive, but many people (myself included) consider it to be the best in the series.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
UDG is trash and can be ignored.

V3 can be divisive, but many people (myself included) consider it to be the best in the series.
I think I still overall like DR1 the best due to the setting and a number of other reasons, but DR2 and DRV3 both have some EXCELLENT cases in them, all three games are quite good in general.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
UDG is by far the worst offender of this, and it's generally just not a very good game. 2 is the worst in the main series when it comes to fanservice but it was at least mostly focused on one character. I don't remember V3 having a lot of that sort of thing.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
UDG is by far the worst offender of this, and it's generally just not a very good game. 2 is the worst in the main series when it comes to fanservice but it was at least mostly focused on one character. I don't remember V3 having a lot of that sort of thing.

V3 had dialogue that was a lot more suggestive and/or outright sexual but I don't know if that counts as fanservice.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
OP don't search anything Danganronpa related (especially fanarts) until you finish all games.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Played the first one recently and really enjoyed it. Gonna give into the second soon, and already ordered V3

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
V3 had dialogue that was a lot more suggestive and/or outright sexual but I don't know if that counts as fanservice.
Yeah, V3 has one character who's 'schtick' is to be overly sexual in their dialogue, and it frequently made me roll my eyes a little, but it's basically only in text, I don't think there's much in the way of visual stuff.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
UDG is bordering on a war crime, but the chemistry between the main characters is really strong and the ending sequence is fantastic and so very, very stressful in that DR way.
I thought the puzzles were legit a lot of fun. It also made (don't click this OP) Toko my favorite character in the franchise.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, V3 has one character who's 'schtick' is to be overly sexual in their dialogue, and it frequently made me roll my eyes a little, but it's basically only in text, I don't think there's much in the way of visual stuff.

It's both that character and the Love Hotel I'm thinking of, though the latter is optional barring the first instance. In terms of imagery it's not necessarily tamer than other games but it's less frequent.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
2 has some questionable scenes that I actually thought were satirical at first, and a terrible bit of trivia (there's this optional scene depicting a shower and apparently the characters in question are actually drawn naked, nipples and all, and covered up by overlaying images ingame- check The Cutting Room Floor if it isn't illegal in your country, I think that's how I found out; you don't see nudity ingame).

UDG is pretty damn over-the-top with it, and probably the worst of the bunch.

V3 has some overtly sexual jokes, through a particular character mostly.

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
You're in for an absolute ride, OP. These games are an utter blast.

Only thing to skip in the series is the anime for 3. It's really bad.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
this is honestly a really bad take. DR2 is a really solid sequel.
My exposure to series is DR1, 2 and V3 and I have to agree with that poster. V3 > 1 > 2 imo, and 2 lags really far behind. I wouldn't say it's trash, but for me at least it was really underwhelming. Still worth playing, and man I'm so excited for OP to experience the series as a whole. It's gonna be great!

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
I will be happy to follow this. I started to play D1 recently (never tried anything in the series) and I am in Chapter 2, enjoying it thus far. I think that the camera movement is bad because the game was created for a platform without the right stick. It is better to simply move with left stick only, PS1 style.

OP
OP
Skittles

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
*posts thread
*comes back

oh my, got a ZTD in this series too I see lol

lmao the past few months I've been watching a friend go through the ZE trilogy and then the DR trilogy just like you

at one point he said "I feel like it's good I started with ZE because I needed it to acclimate to this style of game before I jumped into DR"
It's interesting how differently the two games deal with death. The way it's framed in DR is extremely over the top to the point of insanity.

I was so bummed when Junko died. At that point in the game she was the only one I liked.
I'm very surprised anyone died at this point considering I haven't had time to really care about any of them. I haven't even internalized most names yet lol

OP don't search anything Danganronpa related (especially fanarts) until you finish all games.
It was risky business just grabbing the splash image for the thread lol

Played the first one recently and really enjoyed it. Gonna give into the second soon, and already ordered V3
It's a shame that the trilogy collection for ps4 was so short printed. I would have picked it up that way otherwise

I will be happy to follow this. I started to play D1 recently (never tried anything in the series) and I am in Chapter 2, enjoying it thus far. I think that the camera movement is bad because the game was created for a platform without the right stick. It is better to simply move with left stick only, PS1 style.
It's weird how they never once adjusted the controls considering how many ports this game has gotten since 2010

uOnUxpy.jpg
\
iz9yva0oisi31.jpg

Oct 28, 2017
*posts thread
*comes back

oh my, got a ZTD in this series too I see lol

It's interesting how differently the two games deal with death. The way it's framed in DR is extremely over the top to the point of insanity.

I'm very surprised anyone died at this point considering I haven't had time to really care about any of them. I haven't even internalized most names yet lol

It was risky business just grabbing the splash image for the thread lol

It's a shame that the trilogy collection for ps4 was so short printed. I would have picked it up that way otherwise

It's weird how they never once adjusted the controls considering how many ports this game has gotten since 2010

uOnUxpy.jpg
\
iz9yva0oisi31.jpg
Are you implying V3 is the ZTD of this series? I can assure you it is not. Many of us rate it extremely highly.

OP
OP
Skittles

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, saw an older japanese woman was voicing Kuma in JP and that alone almost made me go japanese voices. I'll have to see what I missed out on after I beat the game.

So how do endings work in this game? Is it completely linear, or am I doing repeats of the whole game for other endings?

Wireframe

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Not gonna lie, saw an older japanese woman was voicing Kuma in JP and that alone almost made me go japanese voices. I'll have to see what I missed out on after I beat the game.

So how do endings work in this game? Is it completely linear, or am I doing repeats of the whole game for other endings?
IIRC it's linear.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

One ending only each game so you are good to go.

OP
OP
Skittles

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good good, with the friendship system combined with a gacha shop...I got real worried for a second. Is the friendship system just for backstory on characters?
Yeah. And after you beat the game you unlock a mode specifically for upping friendship so that you don't have to keep repeating chapters for characters that die early.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I loooove Celeste's voice (and all her awesome Akagi/Fukumoto references).

Thinking about it, my series ranking for Danganronpa might be 1 -> 2 ->-> 3... Though 2 has the best case / individual character.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
This thread and your last are making me real sad that there's no new Zero Escape or Danganronpa game I haven't played yet. I need more!

My DR ranking is probably 2 > V3 > 1. I think 3 has the best cast of characters but 2 has the better story. But they're all great.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
This thread and your last are making me real sad that there's no new Zero Escape or Danganronpa game I haven't played yet. I need more!

My DR ranking is probably 2 > V3 > 1. I think 3 has the best cast of characters but 2 has the better story. But they're all great.
Uchikoshi and Kodaka each have a new game this year, so there's that at least.