OP
OP
Ovvv

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
I feel its too much hoops to jump just to play this in English. I'm a member of various DQ discords too and not worth the hassle . Either you learn Japanese and setup a Japanese account with VPN from the US or Canada and play that way or wait if Nintendo might bring it over someday. This is one of the few DQ games that Enix refuses to release to players out West and there are alot of fans clamoring for it
I understand that there are some hoops but learning Japanese is another level of hurdle than setting this up by following an 8 minute Youtube video lol.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Hey do you have any updates on how this is working for you? Might try this out when I'm ready to give X a shot.
It's working recently enough. The keyboard controls are a bit crap and the game didn't recognize my dualsense inputs.

Being in QC I couldn't use the deepl api fire the untranslated stuff. So I had to set up Google translate instead.

I basically made it through the intro of the ogre race and stopped there for now. Will get back to it later.

Nester

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Works on Steam Deck, I have an SD card setup to boot to Windows 10. This is my third time through the first part of the game and it's crazy how much better the translation tools are than when I first played through.

20221229_214858.jpg

OP
OP
Ovvv

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Works on Steam Deck, I have an SD card setup to boot to Windows 10. This is my third time through the first part of the game and it's crazy how much better the translation tools are than when I first played through.

20221229_214858.jpg
Please explain how the hell you got this running lol

Nester

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Please explain how the hell you got this running lol
Nothing much to it, just installed Windows 10 to an SD card by following a random guide and then installed Dragon Quest X and Clarity the same as I did on my normal desktop.

You don't need to even have an account logged in to play a trial character, but it's local to that machine only. I set one up on my Deck and Switch to take the photo.

OP
OP
Ovvv

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Bumping this 2 month old thread to say I FINALLY started Version 2 (the first expansion, The Sleeping Hero and the Guided Allies). Already got introduced to this dude wearing a hilarious outfit who I presume will be a key figure in this expansion.

View: https://imgur.com/a/tzkMn6R

REMINDER: YOU CAN PLAY VERSION 1 AND 2 IN ENGLISH (NOT MACHINE-TRANSLATED, HAND TRANSLATED BY FANS) FOR FREE!!!!!!

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017
Yeah I think i'm jumping in on this awesome for the bump op! Are they still porting the offline version of X?

OP
OP
Ovvv

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Yeah I think i'm jumping in on this awesome for the bump op! Are they still porting the offline version of X?
They never said they would. I wouldn't hold my breath. But this one is lovely to play and you can essentially play the whole thing singleplayer with AI party members so.....
Version 2 is lovely, I hope you enjoy it.
Already off to a great start. I'm not a real big DQ fan, but Version 1 is the most fun I had with the series ever. I imagine if you are a huge fan of the series this game is insane lol

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Bumping this 2 month old thread to say I FINALLY started Version 2 (the first expansion, The Sleeping Hero and the Guided Allies). Already got introduced to this dude wearing a hilarious outfit who I presume will be a key figure in this expansion.

View: https://imgur.com/a/tzkMn6R

REMINDER: YOU CAN PLAY VERSION 1 AND 2 IN ENGLISH (NOT MACHINE-TRANSLATED, HAND TRANSLATED BY FANS) FOR FREE!!!!!!

I'm close to the end of DQX Offline and while I've had a great time, that screenshot reminds me how much better looking the OG is. I occasionally get cutscenes with this non-deformed artstyle, but I'm guessing they're just lifted from DQX proper.

OP
OP
Ovvv

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
I'm close to the end of DQX Offline and while I've had a great time, that screenshot reminds me how much better looking the OG is. I occasionally get cutscenes with this non-deformed artstyle, but I'm guessing they're just lifted from DQX proper.
Does Offline include Version 2?

Atom

Jul 25, 2021

iirc it's coming as DLC at some point, think it was meant to be last year but was delayed.

The worst part is is that they could have still done chibi/SD stuff and made it look less unpleasant. DQVII and XI 3DS, DQ9 etc. all have chibi models that still sort of keep proportions a bit. Idk why they went for 2 steps removed from Pokemon BDSP.

I should really get around to DQX Offline at some point though.

Junior

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I recently subscribed and I'm currently up to 3.4. The story is mostly understandable with the DeepL translation, and since most of the dialogue in the game is still machine translated outside of v1+v2 story cutscenes I quickly got used to it.

OP
OP
Ovvv

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
I recently subscribed and I'm currently up to 3.4. The story is mostly understandable with the DeepL translation, and since most of the dialogue in the game is still machine translated outside of v1+v2 story cutscenes I quickly got used to it.
Just wanna clarify that 1 and 2 features non-machine translation through a ton (all?) of the story quests, not just the cutscenes.

I agree though, I played through most of v1 with machine translation and got used to it pretty quick.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Oops, forgot to reply to this. Not the story content, but that's releasing at the end of this month:

www.gematsu.com

Dragon Quest X Offline expansion ‘The Sleeping Hero and the Guiding Ally’ launches May 26 in Japan

Dragon Quest X: Rise of the Five Tribes Offline expansion “The Sleeping Hero and the Guiding Ally” will launch on May 26 in Japan for 4,400 yen, publisher Square Enix and developer B.B.…

It has worked out well for me... Though I sorta question whether I should put off playing it so the wait for the next expansion isn't so brutal (assuming they even do it - sales for Offline were surprisingly good but iunno how this will hold up with the gap).

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Oops, forgot to reply to this. Not the story content, but that's releasing at the end of this month:

www.gematsu.com

Dragon Quest X Offline expansion ‘The Sleeping Hero and the Guiding Ally’ launches May 26 in Japan

Dragon Quest X: Rise of the Five Tribes Offline expansion “The Sleeping Hero and the Guiding Ally” will launch on May 26 in Japan for 4,400 yen, publisher Square Enix and developer B.B.…

It has worked out well for me... Though I sorta question whether I should put off playing it so the wait for the next expansion isn't so brutal (assuming they even do it - sales for Offline were surprisingly good but iunno how this will hold up with the gap).

It's square enix

please enjoy ver 3, now presented as a text adventure ft. the Portopia "AI".

Sinah

Jun 2, 2022
If your in main land US you don't need it, I live in Puerto Rico and do need it.

Yeah it's a shame I would love to try this but as I'm from the EU I need a VPN which puts it in the too much hassle to bother territory for me.

I wish SE would bring this over after the success of DQ 11 there should be enough interest here but the game is probably too big and old for them to even consider it at this point.

NoalleGospell

Dec 3, 2018
Puerto Rico
Yeah it's a shame I would love to try this but as I'm from the EU I need a VPN which puts it in the too much hassle to bother territory for me.

I wish SE would bring this over after the success of DQ 11 there should be enough interest here but the game is probably too big and old for them to even consider it at this point.
I use mudfish as my vpn and while it is paid I only pay like $3 and don't have to think about it for years, allot of people in the DQX discord also use mudfish

modernist

Jan 13, 2018
it makes me very sad this never got a western release, it looks fantastic and FFXIV proved how much of an appetite there is for JRPG mmo.

even with all the work fans have done to make it playable here, there's just a few too many barriers for me to try it still

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
I played a bit of the switch version, I ended up not liking it much. The prologue was cool but the part after, I really felt like it was designed for a mmorpg. The areas felt too big and with nothing in it.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
it makes me very sad this never got a western release, it looks fantastic and FFXIV proved how much of an appetite there is for JRPG mmo.

even with all the work fans have done to make it playable here, there's just a few too many barriers for me to try it still

I'm not so sure. DQ in general gets a lot of flak for being too traditional or archaic. The same goes for DQ10. It's a great game, but I can't see it gaining much traction here. I know that they had English marketing materials done up for a survey way back in 2013 and someone on GAF had participated in a CBT for the game back then.

Main story up to 6.0 is now translated.
OP
OP
Ovvv

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Another bump from me to say that every single expansion in the game is now hand fantranslated (main story content). Yes, that means Version 1-6 (edit: meant Version 1 up to 6.0, the 6.1-5 stuff isn't translated yet).

Also, the translation process has been sort of streamlined (no longer need Akhmon).

Last edited:

NoalleGospell

Dec 3, 2018
Puerto Rico
Is the game soloable a la FF14?
Its even more easily soloable since you can recruit other people's characters. After a certain level(80 something i think) you need to pay with gil but if you recruit from your guild its half off and if its a friend its free. If you have multiple characters you can recruit your own characters to your party.

My X-Men cosplay for example lol
image.png

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Lucky PC people!

Even though the idiots at SE made an offline version and still decided to not translate it, I knew if nothing else it meant a much easier fan translation one day.

I only play on Switch so probably wont ever get to enjoy the online version like this in a language I can understand, but maybe the offline one eventually.

Junior

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Another bump from me to say that every single expansion in the game is now hand fantranslated (main story content). Yes, that means Version 1-6.

Also, the translation process has been sort of streamlined (no longer need Akhmon).
Where are you getting the news that Version 6 is fully translated? Based on the spreadsheet and the discussions on their discord only 6.0 is done, there's still 6.1-6.5 to go.

Oct 27, 2017
Lucky PC people!

Even though the idiots at SE made an offline version and still decided to not translate it, I knew if nothing else it meant a much easier fan translation one day.

I only play on Switch so probably wont ever get to enjoy the online version like this in a language I can understand, but maybe the offline one eventually.
There's already good progress being made on the offline translation too, it's in public access now and contains mostly hand-written translations ported over from the online version (some bits are still machine-translated, the work is far from done). It should work with the JP version of DQ10-Offline on a hacked switch.

Soon enough we'll be able to play DQ10 full in english, one way or another. Can't really be a western DQ fan without fiddling with patching fan translations to imported copies, lol

OP
OP
Ovvv

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Where are you getting the news that Version 6 is fully translated? Based on the spreadsheet and the discussions on their discord only 6.0 is done, there's still 6.1-6.5 to go.
Guess I'm still stuck in FFXIV notation lol, I just meant up to 6.0.
There's already good progress being made on the offline translation too, it's in public access now and contains mostly hand-written translations ported over from the online version (some bits are still machine-translated, the work is far from done). It should work with the JP version of DQ10-Offline on a hacked switch.

Soon enough we'll be able to play DQ10 full in english, one way or another. Can't really be a western DQ fan without fiddling with patching fan translations to imported copies, lol
Can you link this?

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
This is amazing, I'll definitely download and give it a go. Need a go to online game after feeling burned from FF14 and Destiny and DQ is my favorite franchise.

Any video guides for new players that are recommended?

OP
OP
Ovvv

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
This is amazing, I'll definitely download and give it a go. Need a go to online game after feeling burned from FF14 and Destiny and DQ is my favorite franchise.

https://dqxabbey.com/pages/getting_started.html This is mostly for downloading DQX itself and making an account (navigating the JP website, etc). Once you have that setup you can transition to this part which is super easy: https://github.com/dqx-translation-project/dqxclarity/wiki/Installation

And I suggest joining the Discord server (just look up DQX Worldwide). The people in the clarity-questions channel are SUPER helpful and respond real quick. People in general are really helpful in there if you're lost on a quest or whatever else.

If you need any help you can just @ me in here (or quote me) or DM me on here.

NoalleGospell

Dec 3, 2018
Puerto Rico

dqxabbey.com

Dragon Quest X - Adventurer's Abbey

A website dedicated to Dragon Quest X's English community and their resources.
DQXabbey shows you how to setup the game and for any questions i would recommend joining the translation group discord (DQXWorldWide) they are a helpful bunch and can help you with anything.

edit-beaten lol

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Does the dq x offline game follow the same story, but shorter? Maybe that would be better to play than the whole mmo? I love Dragon Quest stories 🙂

pje122

Jul 11, 2018
So if you're just getting started with DQX as an English-reader, would it be better to start with the Online version or Offline version? PC as the platform.