• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
So having never played a Fallout game before and loving the show, I decided to try to get in to the games and figured the first 3D one was the place to start. Praise Xbox backwards compatibility.

So I'm generally not an RPG player which is why I always avoided Fallout. My opinion of the game so far is.......not bad. I'm enjoying myself enough so far though there are things that annoy me. I'll start with the number 1 thing I can't stand before moving on to the good. The weight limit mechanic sucks, it does nothing but slow the game down and irritate me. It's a game that encourages looting, then punishes you for looting. You get encumbered, then have to go back to Megaton to sell or offload your shit before you go back to what you're doing. It just adds extra busywork and adds nothing to the game but time going back and forth. Let me horde in peace and do what I want with my loot in my own time. Hate it when any game does this and Fallout 3 is no exception.

With that rant over, I'm mostly enjoying the game. I like the general gameplay, the way the combat works with the vats, the exploration, the dialogue options, the interactions with characters and the little systems. It's a cool world and game with lots of options and ways to do things. I'm not far in the game I'm only level 7 I think but yeah I'm having fun. Done the vampire people quest got them to provide protection in exchange for blood packs. And most recently I did the fire ants section. Went down killed the ants but didn't kill the queen and got a strength boost from the guy. Then afterwards I went back down and hacked the terminal did the good thing.

So yeah, cool game. Excited to play more. Curse weight limits.

Yeah the games from that time often has that kind of weight system. Even Demon's Souls.

Going outside from the Vault in Fallout 3 for the first time was one of the coolest video game experiences. Together with reaching the world map in FF7, Reaching the dark world in ALTTP, Taking the Master Sword in Ocarina of Time and Going outside in Elden Ring. Great moment.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
If Bethesda ever gave players the option to turn off weight limits, I'd be surprised if the majority of players didn't turn that off either at the beginning or sometime during the game. It's the kind of thing I feel designers think is fun, but players actually hate with a passion.

I also jumped back into Fallout 3 again and aside from weight limits am loving every minute of it. Their artstyle just fits the wasteland so perfectly and it feels so desolate and dense at the same time, always enticing you to go exploring. It's an excellent game.

Kreim

Dec 6, 2017
I was a such a hater on launch, I thought it was a doubling down of the mistakes of Oblivion and that bethesda had lost it! Well I guess they still are losing it.... forever.

On a replay I was shocked how dense Fallout 3 was. The random events are so fun, I don't think they attempted or executed that idea nearly as well in anything else.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Encumbrance can be annoying, but you'll also eventually get a better sense of what is worth picking up and what isn't.

If you like FO3, you'll really like New Vegas because it's FO3 but with a much better story. And FO4 looks visually a lot better.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica

Fallout 4 would have been a better start for you, but just in case: loot strategically. Basically, just FIX your weapon with same type of weapons, discard the rest, get ammo only, get better gear, drop the rest, etc. You don't need to SELL things to survive, you don't need to carry most things at all.

There are perks that will help as well, but just be smart about what you carry.

this probably will be repeated 100x here but New Vegas is so much better, you're in for a treat

I disagree, New Vegas is a good follow up if he liked 3, but OP is using backward compatibility on the XBOX ecosystem so it would be an un-modded, un-fixed New Vegas so it would probably just be a terrible first experience overall.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I Wanna Be The Guy New Vegas is better balance wise, has much better writing and characters aswell as more QOL features, If that sounds more appealing to you. Fallout 3 is really starting to feel its age despite how good it is.

What NV doesn't have though is as strong of a sense of exploration as 3 does. 3 is trademark Bethesda gigantic open map to get lost whereas NV's is pretty dense but condensed. Its very tight and the game is much more quest focused than 3 was rather than kind of searching out every nook and cranny though there is abit of that aswell.

New Vegas' focus is more similar to the older games in how it handles things and structures itself, I feel. Feels more CRPGy at times, if that makes any sense?

I know people are getting tired of the New Vegas comparisons but he's new to the franchise so I thought I would just give him my thoughts and suggestions on that right quick in case a different sort of Fallout might be more his thing since both games are very different in a lot of ways. Sorry about that.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Very good game. Some great exploration and discovery of DC environments. I liked the spin-off of the Brotherhood that was a bit different from the west coast origins.

The design is unique for BGS. Outside of the main quest, there's only like 20 named side quests in the game. Almost all of them have a good deal of skill checks during dialog or quest actions, as well as player agency in how they are resolved. I really liked that and wish it was something BGS kept doing (quality over quantity wrt side quests).

Gunplay is atrocious but VATS helps. Main quest is pretty rough after you get to the BoS base, but the assault on the final location was just pure, dumb fun. The writing wasn't particularly noteworthy, but passable. Overall, I'd call it a very good game and one that still has a lot of value in 2024 if you can get past the rubbish gunplay.

jungius

Sep 5, 2021
fallout 3 has atmospheric storytelling and ambience that still couldn't be matched by other games and fallout games, new vegas included. The feeling of somber apocalypse, despair, horror, gore really shine in this game. Even the metro system is so good, it lead to mysteries and sense of explorations to see where the tunnels goes into. The story isn't really good but no one should play this for story alone lmao.

This is one of games that I kept replaying just for the world alone.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I mean ... you're a wasteland survivor. You find scrap or materials or weapons and you pick up and haul what you can. As others have said, you'll figure out what to prioritize and also how much to venture out with. Do you really need 6 guns on you or can you make due with 2-3? Are you carrying a bunch of junk that you'll have no other use for than selling for a handful of caps? You might want to leave it behind. You'll figure out the balance in time.

jungius

Sep 5, 2021
So having never played a Fallout game before and loving the show, I decided to try to get in to the games and figured the first 3D one was the place to start. Praise Xbox backwards compatibility.

So I'm generally not an RPG player which is why I always avoided Fallout. My opinion of the game so far is.......not bad. I'm enjoying myself enough so far though there are things that annoy me. I'll start with the number 1 thing I can't stand before moving on to the good. The weight limit mechanic sucks, it does nothing but slow the game down and irritate me. It's a game that encourages looting, then punishes you for looting. You get encumbered, then have to go back to Megaton to sell or offload your shit before you go back to what you're doing. It just adds extra busywork and adds nothing to the game but time going back and forth. Let me horde in peace and do what I want with my loot in my own time. Hate it when any game does this and Fallout 3 is no exception.

With that rant over, I'm mostly enjoying the game. I like the general gameplay, the way the combat works with the vats, the exploration, the dialogue options, the interactions with characters and the little systems. It's a cool world and game with lots of options and ways to do things. I'm not far in the game I'm only level 7 I think but yeah I'm having fun. Done the vampire people quest got them to provide protection in exchange for blood packs. And most recently I did the fire ants section. Went down killed the ants but didn't kill the queen and got a strength boost from the guy. Then afterwards I went back down and hacked the terminal did the good thing.

resource and inventory management is central part of modern bethesda games

thats where ppl hoarder habits being sharpened lmao

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019
Been replaying it myself and it's still my favorite of the series. The tone and atmosphere is spot on in the game and at times almost make it feel like a horror game.
this probably will be repeated 100x here but New Vegas is so much better, you're in for a treat

I prefer 3 to NV because of the world and atmosphere. NV is still great though

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Fallout 3 is fantastic. It gets shit on for not being like New Vegas but honestly, I do think Bethesda is still king when it comes to world design and environmental storytelling. The Capital Wasteland is one of the coolest worlds that I've ever explored. The vibes are awesome. Sure, the quests and dialogue aren't as complex as they are in New Vegas but there are still plenty of cool characters and quests to find. The main cities are awesome too. The thing that I wish Fallout 3 had compared to New Vegas is actually the hardcore mode. That is still one of the best "immersion" modes that has ever been implemented and neither Bethesda nor Obsidian themselves have replicated it since. The survival and super nova modes from Fallout 4 and The Outer Worlds were such a disappointment in comparison.

Oct 31, 2017
Never been a super big Bethesda fan, but I've always thought this was solid (without ever having played, nor caring at all about the original titles). The atmosphere/aesthetic and world exploration were the two main draws for me, everything else was mostly lacking otherwise. Not really someone who cares much about hard role-playing.

Understand your criticisms regarding the inventory management, but I think this is one of the 'defining traits' of these Bethesda games. Being able to just suck everything up all at once with zero care about repercussions would just make all the junk collectables scattered throughout the world that much more meaningless. By giving them weight on top of various conditional values depending on what exactly the items in question are makes inventory decision-making a core aspect of the game. Personally, I'm OK with the carry weight limit in these games, though typically inventory management is never really my thing either.

Have never beaten this game nor seen the majority of the game's content, despite starting it up several times throughout the years. Probably have only seen about 50-60% of the game's various content tbh and I'm mostly OK with that. Maybe I'll fully do everything in this game someday...

Never played New Vegas. Bought FO4 at launch and only played like 2 hours or so. That's what I've personally returned to with all the Fallout hype, and I've been enjoying it quite a bit (but I'm playing on Survival Mode). Honestly OP, you might actually like Fallout 4 even more, depending. It definitely seems to be less of an RPG and more of an action-adventure FPS scavenger hunt. Helps that the FPS gameplay in it is actually somewhat competent/comparable to industry FPS standards, unlike FO3.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
FO3 + Castle Crashers are the reasons I bought a 360 in college. It's my favorite FO game and the only one I've ever finished. New Vegas is the better story/role play, but FO3's world is more my style.

Glad you're enjoying it!

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
With the looting you're supposed to look at the weight and compare it to value. Don't waste your time picking up something that weighs multiple pounds but will sell for hardly any caps. Only time you should be farming mats is if you're doing it for something specific and target farming for it.

Ruu

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder how many people new to the series will go back and give 1 and 2 a shot cause my boomer take is I never liked the series much (writing in NV is excellent though) once it went 3D. 2 can be brutal (the opening dungeon I suspect bounces a LOT of people off of it) but damn it is my favorite RPG of all time.

MyDudeMango

Jul 17, 2021
Canada
Fallout 3 is honestly a solid ass Bethesda game, it just gets an iffy rep because it's so at odds with the first two games in themes and style that it didn't feel like a proper follow-up, and suffers immensely from direct comparisons to New Vegas as that game has gone on to achieve a reputation of being a GOAT-tier game. F3 probably holds up way better viewed as the start of its own new thing than as a numbered follow-up to such a venerable duology of classic CRPGs tbh. NV is a great reconciliation of the old Black Isle games and the newer Bethesda games, and I do think F3 deserves slightly more credit than it gets for being able to provide that game its foundation, as well as being a solid simple fun experience on its own.

If you ever do find the time and patience to get into the flow of those first two games though, I highly recommend it. I think Fallout 1 especially gets slept on, it's such a tight, concise, perfectly paced classic RPG imo.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I have a distinct memory of getting lost in the subway tunnels and randomly discovering what felt like a hidden outside area only discoverable through the subway because of all the rubble on my second or third playthrough and having this sense of wonder about experiencing something so easily missable

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Playing through New Vegas again (it was my first Fallout, and only one I've completed, but have put 100s of hours into 3 and 4)

Maybe I'll give 3 another try after Vegas, but I'm currently thinking 4 after the patch drops.

3 just had a bunch of things that irritated me. I remember debris and trash piles blocking your path in a lot of areas, but the thing that really irked me (and it's dumb) was in one building, there's 2 doors on the same wall, go in one of those doors and you're in a long hallway, door on either end. Traverse that hallway and you pop out from the other door that was on that same wall. Made no sense and pisses me off lol

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Game is dope. Atmosphere so thick you could cut it with a knife.

Get good at repairing so that you can consolidate multiple weapons into one more valuable and reliable weapon, to conserve space. And let go of hoarding tendencies. Sell shit when you can, drop what you don't need, and prioritize items with a high value-to-weight ratio.

I disagree, New Vegas is a good follow up if he liked 3, but OP is using backward compatibility on the XBOX ecosystem so it would be an un-modded, un-fixed New Vegas so it would probably just be a terrible first experience overall.
Relative to playing the game modded on PC? Sure, I could absolutely see where you're coming from.

Relative to playing Fallout 3 on Xbox? Not at all, lol. If Fallout 3 on Xbox works well enough for them, then Fallout NV on Xbox is likely to, as well. Fallout NV has its issues, even relative to Fallout 3, but I think you're overstating the degree to which the game is broken.

Last edited:

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
I liked 3 at the time but I don't remember it fondly for some reason, nor do I ever want to replay it. I think because it's part of that era (Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3) where Bethesda games, while great, felt especially jankier than they do now. It wasn't until Skyrim that I felt like Bethesda games felt more well put together technically.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
I loved Fallout 3. I appreciate that it's still a wonky, numbers-driven RPG (as is New Vegas). I don't like Fallout 4 at all, but I've experimented a lot with various builds in Fallout 3 and have had a great time. Like, I get that the writing isn't great, but the mix of exploration and system fiddling was very addictive. I'm sure I'll play it again someday.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
1&2 are the better starting points in my opinion. You get to see what Fallout was. Those that never were introduced to the originals though don't really understand how jarring it was to go from a strategy rpg game to F3. To go from a great written series to that.

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
One of the best intro chapters in all of gaming.

Gunplay is atrocious but VATS helps
I played a melee character whom specialized in explosives. So I would throw an explody thing, then run in and punch up whatever was left. And sometimes I'd puch a gun out of their hand and I would grab it and use it point blank.

Pretty exciting way to play and VATS only added to it!

JasperMyst