• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
If Bethesda ever gave players the option to turn off weight limits, I'd be surprised if the majority of players didn't turn that off either at the beginning or sometime during the game. It's the kind of thing I feel designers think is fun, but players actually hate with a passion.
I'm pretty sure the weight limits are a system thing, not a design thing. The game becomes unstable if the player's inventory exceeds a certain amount.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I'm pretty sure the weight limits are a system thing, not a design thing. The game becomes unstable if the player's inventory exceeds a certain amount.

There have been mods to remove encumbrance for a long time and I've never heard of it making the games unstable. Not to say that some astronomical inventory count wouldn't do that, but I assume that limit is way, way higher than the actual limit imposed on players in-game if it exists.

I actually don't mind encumbrance so long as the effects aren't overly punitive. It makes you think about what you're looting, rather than just mindlessly sweeping through grabbing everything not nailed down. Especially in FO4 where everything could be broken down to crafting materials.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
Been replaying Fallout 3 in its Tale of Two Wastelands iteration, and it holds up surprisingly well. I always thought the writing was naff compared to Fallout 2, but after having more recently experienced the systems bloat and even poorer writing of Fallout 4 and 76, Fallout 3 doesn't look that bad by comparison. Mechanically it benefits hugely from the subtle additions found in New Vegas (implemented through TTW), though. And even more from being able to use NV mods.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
There have been mods to remove encumbrance for a long time and I've never heard of it making the games unstable. Not to say that some astronomical inventory count wouldn't do that, but I assume that limit is way, way higher than the actual limit imposed on players in-game if it exists.

I actually don't mind encumbrance so long as the effects aren't overly punitive. It makes you think about what you're looting, rather than just mindlessly sweeping through grabbing everything not nailed down. Especially in FO4 where everything could be broken down to crafting materials.
It's possible I'm thinking of Fallout 76 then.

Or I'm just completely wrong and thinking of something else, lol.

TheOnlyJ

Oct 29, 2019
I struggled with encumbrance until I realized most stuff isn't really worth carrying and money is pretty useless in Fallout 3, so the goal of scavenging wasn't to "find stuff" but to "find good stuff."

Kahhhhyle

Jun 8, 2021
Surprised by how little Fallout 3 hate in seeing. Wasn't how I was expecting the responses to go. 3 is my favorite personally.

I started a new game in the Tale of Two Wastelands mod as well. Just because I've played 4 and NV more recently. It's been a while since I've played 3 and a few others have said it already but man the mood and atmosphere of 3 are just so good. Feels like a different series compared to NV and 4.

And I'll repeat what others have said regarding weight. Stop carrying garbage with you lol. On the flip side I'll share with you that cigarettes (cartons and packs) are a pretty good money/weight ratio and things with no weight like pre-war money are basically free money so you should always pick those up

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I struggled with encumbrance until I realized most stuff isn't really worth carrying and money is pretty useless in Fallout 3, so the goal of scavenging wasn't to "find stuff" but to "find good stuff."

The real trick is to find stuff that has the best value/weight ratio. Pre-war money was always great because while I think it was worth 1 cap on it's own, it was also virtually weightless so I always picked it up to sell it.

In Fallout 4 I would do that, but in addition I would also figure out what crafting materials I needed most and figure out what objects had them. You always need more adhesive so I'd make sure to grab glue, duct tape, etc.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
I disagree, New Vegas is a good follow up if he liked 3, but OP is using backward compatibility on the XBOX ecosystem so it would be an un-modded, un-fixed New Vegas so it would probably just be a terrible first experience overall.
In terms of being fixed the patched up 360 version is fine. The big issue is that while it has FPS boost on newer Xbox machines it didn't get the same resolution bump 3 did so you are stuck at 720p.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree that it is clear cut. I am currently playing through New Vegas on Steam Deck after falling off after multiple failed starts on 360. The biggest thing I love about Fallout 3 is the feeling of freedom. It genuinely feels like I can go wherever the hell I want and do whatever I want. Fallout 3 is maybe the only game where I have ever had a fantastic time playing a black hat run. Fucking over Megaton gets you the Tenpenny apartment that makes your base of operations a different location, changing your trajectory and order of tackling quests. But I always felt free to be whoever and go/do whatever. Not pure evil, but fuck you I am going to do what I want in the moment.

New Vegas pissed me off to no end because it very much does not want you to do whatever you want. It wants you to go down a very specific route. You start in the center west. Try going north, Deathclaws. Try going east, giant scorpions. You are pretty much forced to go south. Because fuck you, this is the path. The game heavily nudges you to help the NCR, not even giving you a chance to fuck with Caesar until hours and hours later when you have likely been helping the NCR since forever. And if you decided to help the powder gangers early on over the NCR, because fuck the NCR they are liberal slavers who say "actually they are prisoners" then suddenly the NCR is pissed at you and you have no real alternative. It is either you work with them or fuck you. Having played through a big chunk twice before dropping it, I finally let myself engage on the game's terms and there is a lot of fun to be had. But I feel like I am fighting against the handholding constantly in a way I never did in Fallout 3.
You don't have to follow the set path. The game just wants to let you know at low levels you got no business fighting Cazadors and DeathClaws. The game even gives you a stealth boy early should you want to go North. Just use the mountains to avoid the deadly monsters until you level up. You can literally make it to New Vegas at level one.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
I have a question. So I went in to a building teamed up with a lady to get the declaration of independence. Shot the robot since fuck going to the library and coming all the way back again. Anyway I need to go to Rivet City now. A location I've not yet discovered and am not sure how to get to.

My question is......does this lady need to be alive for when I finish this quest? Does it matter if she dies? Because she's following me currently and either keeps dying or is burning through my stimpacks. Seriously in that building I had to use tons on her. Can I just not worry if she dies or do I get something special if I bring her to Rivet City with me?

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
I didn't get far in fallout 3 because I was too distracted by the open world and looting everything.

Oh waypoint or interesting site? Go!
Enemy many higher levels? Maybe I can take it on!

Add the encumbrance and indecisive choices I quit. 😬

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Man ,fallout 3 was on my top gaming list when i played it. I absolutely loved it, and remembered it fondly. However, I haven't played it since it first came out, but i wouldn't be surprised if it aged terribly gaming-wise for newcomers. I'm glad you're enjoying though.