• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
One of my favourite 'things to do whilst ill/on a massive destress' is watch Heat, Collateral and Miami Vice in a row. I really need to see Thief.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Fun thing I heard was that Pacino improvised the "great ass" scene and people were cracking up during filming.

Can't remember where I heard that from so take out with a grain of salt. Maybe a podcast talking about it? Now the legend is fun so I'll roll with it until proven wrong lol.
Iirc he delivered the take Mann wanted and then asked if he could do a crazy one. It was something they were doing a lot, but it blindsided Hank Azaria.
What are other movies that "nail the feel of LA"?

Drive , Collateral, Mulholland Drive ?

Would be very interested in seeing other recommendations !
Under the Silver Lake.

FlexMentallo

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
Killing of a Chinese Bookie and The Long Goodbye if you want 70s LA vibes. To Live and Die in LA for 80s LA vibes.

My first visit to LA I saw Tarantino filming Jackie Brown in LAX, when I eventually saw it I was like 'now that movie actually feels like the LA I just visited'

brenobnfm

Sep 28, 2019
Good movie but overrated, Mann only reached his stylistic prime in Collateral and Miami Vice is his best work by far, a masterpiece.

Feb 7, 2022
Thief is great, as others have said. Manhunter is also enjoyable. I still haven't seen Collateral or Miami Vice but I'm aware of my foolishness Era. I will fix it.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
You can tell he improvised 'great ass' as you can see him start to say 'big', but changes his mind before the words come out. Which again totally adds to the scene!

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
Everyone keeps talking about the sound of the gunshots (which is amazing indeed), but what always impresses me about the movie is how seriously it takes the weapons overall. You can tell that these actors got drilled to death in how to handle their guns. The way Val Kilmer reloads his rifle is pure perfection. This heightened the movie a lot for me back when I first saw it due to serving in the army around the same time and recognizing how realistically portrayed it was.

Leclair

May 3, 2021
Denmark
Everybody recommending watching Thief, Collateral, Miami Vice next, while I'm just sitting here thinking The Insider is Mann's second best film

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Id seen it before years ago but had forgotten it completely

Rewatched it 2 or 3 weeks ago. Incredible film.

Pacino is amazing in it

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that they cut the Vincent cokehead plot but Pacino still played it that way is just GOAT level stuff