Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
3c48871136336614.png

Preface:

I do not play as many games per year as I would like to. I am a sucker for RPGs but given the copious amounts of time I spend on each game (in general), I tend to burn out after each game. Prior to restarting HZD, I finished TellTale's Batman and prior to that a 153+ hour jog through Persona 5. Suffice it to say, I was apprehensive about starting another long game. I ended playing it for 135+ hours and getting the Platinum trophy.

3175291136352744.png

LTTP (played on Pro + PS Gold HS + 65" X900E):

At long last, last week, I finished the game that I had bought on Day 1, played the first few levels in December 2017 and then dropped it till I restarted it a year hence with the aim to complete it.

What a ride it has been, through the thick and thin. It is far from a perfect game, but as far as first efforts are concerned, it was stellar and very memorable. Furthermore, its DLC proved how much of an improvement the studio can attain in a short span of time.

So, on to the Pros and Cons for the base game first.

Visuals (ran on "Performance mode") Presentation:

Pros:
  • Cleanest looking open world game I have played on a 4K screen (perhaps the best implementation of CBR I have witnessed to date).
  • Extremely stable performance with effective use of motion blur.
  • The world design- containing various types of geographical qualities and the amount of detail imparted to bring them to life is very well done.
  • Amazing implementation of HDR that brings the excellent lighting model and sumptuous colours to life.
  • The alpha effects in the form of fog and volumetric effects such as god rays in the night shone through the vegetation lent a sense of atmosphere I did not expect from the this game.
  • One of the better games I have come across to hide its LoD pop ins well when it comes to vegetation (but that depends on the overall surroundings of Aloy).
  • Stunning design of major hub worlds that are uniquely ornate and feel alive with NPCs (with caveats) movement and ambient noises.
  • Wonderfully detailed NPCs with distinct designs for each tribe. HZD is in an S-Tier league with regards to this. Presumably they used PBR to great effect.
  • No copy-pasted NPC quest giver and each of them is lovingly crafted with unique look, high polycount and beautiful texture work. Truthfully, it has very few equals.
  • Beautiful DoF effects, especially during dialogue segments. I think it was upgraded via patch since DigitalFoundry's in-depth overview.
  • Lip syncing, barring certain exceptions, consistently range from very good to fantastic.
  • Aloy herself is richly detailed, exceptionally well animated (inverse kinematics, animation blending, etc) for any scenario, including her fiery crimson hair. This puts her closer to Sony's other more linear SP games. I have yet to play Spider-man and TW3- two open world games that I have seen thus far to be equally capable in this regard (especially Peter Parker).
  • The selection of costumes/armors is also well crafted and none of them overtly sexualize her.
  • Good and varied texture quality in nature.
  • Very long draw distance whilst preserving good amount of detail in the farthest of objects.
  • The dynamic weather effects not only look great and are different in different parts of the game world but have gameplay ramifications.
  • The conception, crafting, animation and texturing of each of robot creatures is exceptional and distinct. At times, it felt like some bizarre combination of Monster Hunter and Shadow of the Colossus.
Cons:
  • Poor texture filtering i.e. AF for ground textures. This sticks out given the very good asset quality that is reliant on it.
  • Poor and notable LoD Pop-ins for small objects on the ground on barren paths. This along with the previous reasons is why I predominantly walked on grassy surfaces.
  • LoD management renders mid-far areas with considerably lower details in some cases which poses a stark contrast against the richness of immediate surroundings. Presumably, this is a resource management issue. It sees some improvements in the DLC.
  • Seams between textures could sometimes be visible on character models- between the neck and rest of the body.
  • Object clipping during dialogue sequences- This generally affects hair and clothing against other harder geometric objects.
  • Bandit camp designs all share the same visual identity, whilst being different in level design. Makes me wonder if the bandits all got together and voted on a common theme. I know it is to ensure readability for the player, however, given it gets marked on the Map, altering designs would not have mattered. Presumably, time constraints were at play.
  • Some animation jank in NPCs and Robots can manifest a few times depending on the action they are engaged in.
  • Why is it ALWAYS full moon? At one point, I honestly thought it had story ramifications thanks to my history with BB.

Audio Presentation:

Pros:
  • Whatcha Playin Ash's Ashly Burch IS Aloy now and forever. To me, they are a couple of inseparable identities. She brings Aloy's no- nonsense, caring, sometimes sarcastic, adventurous and determined character to life. She is to Aloy what Nolan North is to Nathan Drake, what Ashley Johnson is to Ellie, what Michael Ironside is to Sam Fisher, what Steve Downes is to Master Chief…. You get the idea.
  • I really like the fact that she speaks to herself from time to time depending on circumstance. It lends believability to her as a character with agency of thought and feelings; furthermore, it is a tool by which the game relays quest and gameplay related information to the player.
  • Voice Acting, for most part, is excellent in conveying emotion and information. The consistency is closer to, again, big budget SP games. In some ways, I was reminded of Mass Effect franchise. There is zero melodramatic, cheesy BS even in the recordings Aloy discovers through the world.
  • The ambient tracks are fan-freaking-tastic. From region specific tunes to battle themes, they all bring the world and the encounters to life.
  • Aloy's theme is truly a memorable one. It is extremely difficult to create distinct character themes that are immediately recognizable. Nate's theme, is the only other character theme, that I can clearly remember in my head.
  • The sound design for each of the robots is thoroughly commendable. They are distinct, sometimes eerie and instantly recognizable.
  • During encounters, for almost all robots, there are distinct sound cues to inform the player of impending attacks.
  • The sound changes with the acoustic properties of the environment.
Cons:
  • Sometimes Aloy spoke to herself with story related information right as I begun listening to audio-tapes. There is a distinct lack of audio separation or prioritization which can muddy the entire segment. While there is an option to Pause the tape at any given time, it would have been nice if there were a few lines of code that would acknowledge the player, through Aloy was actively listening to a tape and wait till it was over to deliver her monologue.
  • Repetition of dialogue by NPCs in large cities. It is not an issue relegated just to HZD, but to all games of its ilk due to resource and time constraints. Still, it does not help the case of immersion.

User Interface:

Pros:
  • Presents users with ample information about the world and inventory whilst remaining relatively clean.
  • Provides visual cues for off-screen attack.
  • Customizable for most part with regards to persistence of certain data when Aloy is out of combat.
Cons:
  • Wish the entire HUD could be turned off and on like in the latest God of War. (EDIT: It has been brought to my attention, that this is already possible)
  • Complete information on Modifications are not shown when pillaging machine carcasses.

Menu Interface:

Pros:
  • Map is akin to viewing a 3D diorama from top down.
  • 60fps transition.
  • Ample categories for items.
Cons:
  • Needs to be more streamlined and allow categories for sorting-
  • Crafting Menu could allow for movement between different ammo types by pressing R1 and L1 instead of exiting that menu, selecting another type and then going back in.
  • Inventory menu could show total number of an item that exceeds its single space allotment. This somewhat becomes a bit of pain when engaging with traders which only shows the amount of something in actual purchase menu.
  • Treasures- the only thing you can have an infinite number of. It could stand to show the user the contents of the already opened boxes on the side of the screen instead of the player having to individually inspect them every single time. It becomes an issue when Aloy has accumulated hundreds of treasure boxes and its kin. This aspect hurt the pacing for me.
  • Modification inventory, given the said lack of sorting mechanism, does not highlight the most recent acquisitions (barring exceptions). This prevents the player from identifying the most recent acquisitions especially when acquiring higher level purple mods with similar stat values.

Gameplay:

Pros:
  • The core combat loop felt exceedingly addictive. The numerous ways to effectively engage, from choice of weapons on the fly to the smoothness of aiming to method of engagement itself, in most scenarios, played a substantial part in the said addiction.
  • The areas that allowed for vertical traversal, though notably limited, are journeys in and of itself (especially if the player is going after collectibles). Made me reminiscent of Uncharted games.
  • The expansive nature of most encounter areas lent a great sense of freedom and flexibility upon retrials.
  • Really admired the weapons and garment Modification options.
  • The RPG element for leveling up Aloy allows players to customize encounter approaches. At least, right up until the player has conquered the entire leveling up tree.
  • Robot AIs in and out of battle is generally aggressive and efficient, respectively.
  • All traders can be sold everything, have identical resources for purchase in addition to special items and items can be bought back with a certain caveat.
  • Special mention to Corruption arrows.
Cons:
  • Difficulty could use some rebalancing on Normal settings (felt like I should have played on Hard) for bigger, more powerful robots.
  • Areas/options allowing for vertical traversal needs to be substantially expanded without making it like the new AC games where any surface anywhere is climbable.
  • Leveling up system needs to be overhauled- After playing SoulsBorne games, leveling up at set points with skill point arbitrarily and all on its own, felt utterly gamey. Same goes for quick crafting but unless a viable alternative is found, presumably they will stick with it. It is about drawing a line in the sand for chasing realism for certain mechanics over ease of use. Given now that I have seen aforementioned games do it in a realistic fashion, going back to HZD system felt utterly out of place. And it is not just a HZD issue.
  • Human AI were sub-par and needs an overhaul in the sequel. This was a surprise given how good the AI was in KZ2 and 3.
  • Because the vendors never change their position with time or evolution of main story, the world eventually starts to feel rather static.
  • Melee combat needs to feel more responsive. It could use a snappier and more impactful set of R1 attacks. Furthermore, the damage taken -> fall down -> recovery period could use fewer frames.
  • Stealth enabling foliage needs to be more expansive and more refined. Hiding within tall grass should not guarantee safety (granted there are exceptions) even when Aloy is moving within it as the foes draw near. It is far too forgiving.

Story/Narrative Quest design:

Pros:
  • At its core this is a story about self discovery through enduring pain and eventual healing by way of finding a place of belonging and purpose for all the suffering.
  • Since the Mass Effect franchise, I can not remember being this awed by the story of a larger than life sci-fi adventure game. It is perhaps one of the darkest symbols of oblivion and the struggle against all odds to leave behind a legacy. Because the journey is juxtaposed against a mostly colourful world scattered with life, it filled me with a sense of pathos.
  • The settings felt more normal and yet fantastical all at the same time, akin to discovering new alien races, their idiosyncratic cultures and homes.
  • Through its myriad audio tapes, text journals, figurine journals, vantage recordings, collective codes hidden in metallic flowers, holographic recordings and dialogues, there are no notable gaps in logic. The occurrences regarding gaps in the timeline, however, is left to imagination and deduction of the player. This weaves a dense narrative of which Aloy remains an active participant leading to an ending that is bereft of a deus ex machina moment. Instead this game does what many games seldom do well- earns its ending encompassing emotional and story ramifications. To that end-
    • The main quests are consistently well designed.
    • Side quests are good for most part. Sometimes, they extend beyond what the player is first led to believe and turn out to be rather exceptionally good.
    • Errands for most part were okay. They were the purest forms of fetch quests or made for leveling up. That said, on one occasion it was directly connected to a sidequest.
    • The hunter challenges, bereft of story ramifications, were exceedingly interesting primarily because they are designed to force the player to strategize prior to a Timed Challenge and alter tactics during it. All of it is done to improve player's combat efficiency.
    • Categorizing the action based choices of Aloy into 'toughness', 'logical' and 'emotional' was neat because regardless of the answer, I felt like it is still how Aloy would respond.
  • No imbecilic Karma system. Thank goodness!
Cons:
  • The dialogue driven choices amount to simple exposition excavation (mostly). Hopefully, the sequel would increase the complexity of story (if not smaller quests) and expand the scope of the dialogue system to affect quest outcomes.
  • Side quests, although good, could use more complexity to make them feel less like fetch quest. Some of them lacked the impetus to justify risking Aloy's life when much bigger stakes did lie ahead.
  • The game suffers from an issue most open world games suffer from- The disconnect between what is a stake and what the protagonist needs to do due to infinite amount of time being allotted to the player. It was egregious in retrospect because when starting the final mission, prior to which I had gone off to The Cut (DLC) and completed it over "in-game" days, it essentially came off as if the entire world and ills waited for me alone to give them all my go ahead to start sending the baddies for the final battles. It can really be immersion breaking.

664b8b1138237234.png

Frozen Wilds – O' Canada…

Bought this before it was released on a special discount promotion that was running at the time of pre-release. I played the game when I was around level 40, prior to the final main mission. I got my arse handed to me, well and truly, by the opening encounter…

In keeping with the existing format, the Pros and Cons will be listed but these will be in addition to what is already posted for the main game.

Visuals Presentation:

Pros:
  • Even more vivid colours courtesy of the Banuk's clothing and smaller foliages not overwhelmed by the snow.
  • The Banuk tribe's customary clothing designs, physical augmentations and tattoos are expanded with beautiful detail for better appreciation.
  • New snow deformation tech not only looks fantastic but has animation ramification for Aloy.
  • Dialogue oriented segments now feature far more dynamic character animations, new cinematic angles and consistently great lip syncing. Aside from the improved snow rendering, this was the biggest visual change from the base game.
  • Snow fall has even greater effect on gameplay.
  • The new robots display distinct looks, care of craftsmanship and animation repertoire.
Cons:
  • None in addition to what has been mentioned.

Audio presentation:

Pros:
  • The OST for DLC is sublime.
Cons:

UI:
  • Nothing to add.

Menu Interface:

Pros:
  • The addition of a dedicated leveling up tree, which was essentially Quality of Life improvement features. Because I had both installed from the time I restarted playing the game, I did not even know that the DLC had brought its own skill trees to the mix and discovered it at a later date.
Cons:
  • None in addition to what has been mentioned

Gameplay:

Pros:
  • The new assortment of weapons brings more strategic opportunities to exploit elemental weaknesses but also have certain drawbacks to avoid unfair exploitation.
  • The ability to modify Aloy's spear and a host of new types of modifications are great additions.
Cons:
  • The difficulty level spikes until the player discovers most efficient methods for dealing with the new creatures.
  • Human AI remains dull.

Story/Narrative quest design:

Pros:
  • It is a beautiful self-contained story that has ramification beyond the borders of The Cut. It explores tenets of previously thought unshakable cultural traditions, mysticism and self-sacrifice. The characters and their beliefs felt genuine and evoke a sense of sincerity. To that end-
  • The main set of quests were very well designed.
  • Given the compact nature of DLC, the side quests were fewer but were much more elaborate.
  • The fetch quests for the DLCs, while not part of any Errands or Side quests, still connected back with the visuals and theme of reemergence of humanity in the shadows of an old world.
Cons:

Closing points:
  • HZD must be one of the most photogenic games I have played to date. I ended up snapping more than 5,100 screenshots.
  • Aloy gets a permanent scar on right side of her throat after The Proving incident.
  • The parts of the game (dlc and base game) that cover the understanding/perception of 'ignorant' (not meant to deride) folks of the technology was one of the most fascinating aspects of the game. Concepts ranging from deification of technology to fearing what people do not understand to evolution and natural selection are explored. In turn, Arthur C. Clarke's quote, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
  • It is interesting how the cycle of violence for the sake of religion is explored here. I really liked it.
  • The ramification behind the existence of the metallic flower really caught me off guard emotionally. Quite the existential ramification tied to that.
  • For an opening act by a studio that had zero experience in this third person action adventure RPG-lite genre, they hired the right people for the job and got a lot right on the first try. More than anything it feels like a labour of love. It also helps that-
  • The game does NOT have any MTX at all aside from the cost of the DLC.

Last edited:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
The Frozen Wilds is so much better than the main game it's not even funny. If Horizon 2 is anything like it it'll probably be a game of the Generation contender.

BTW, I think you can turn the whole HUD off and only showing it with the touchpad.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The sci-fi meta story is so fucking cool. No offence, but I didn't think GG had it in them to create a world with such rich depth

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
The sci-fi meta story is so fucking cool. No offence, but I didn't think GG had it in them to create a world with such rich depth

Yeah, one of the few games that made me want to track down all the lore related items. Too bad I didn't enjoy most of the tribal related storylines, they didn't grab me at all. I hope they strike a better balances for the sequel.

OP
OP
Hey Please

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Same here :) After getting the Platinum Trophy and wandering around in the world, I've spent over 135 hours on this game. It's so damn good and beautiful!

Yep. I got all the trophies for base and Frozen Wilds sans the NG+ ones. Weirdly enough, the last time I was this enamoured with a game world, it was Fallout 3.

Glad you enjoyed the game as much as you did.

The Frozen Wilds is so much better than the main game it's not even funny. If Horizon 2 is anything like it it'll probably be a game of the Generation contender.

BTW, I think you can turn the whole HUD off and only showing it with the touchpad.

I tried to but some elements (IIRC) like the compass and quest markers stay on unless I deactivate the latter from Active Quest menu.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Yep. I got all the trophies for base and Frozen Wilds sans the NG+ ones. Weirdly enough, the last time I was this enamoured with a game world, it was Fallout 3.

I tried to but some elements (IIRC) like the compass and quest markers stay on unless I deactivate the latter from Active Quest menu.
Might be misremembering, but you definitely can disable both. I remember leaving my game completely hudless for some screenshots outside the photo mode.

OP
OP
Hey Please

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Might be misremembering, but you definitely can disable both. I remember leaving my game completely hudless for some screenshots outside the photo mode.

I am in awe of my own failure atm. I know that you can turn it "off" completely, but I did not know (because I tried, presumably incorrectly) that it extended to option where it would re-appear by touching the aptly named, touch pad.

Trust me, you are not the only one. Although, perhaps, it should not be so surprising because:

1. They pulled off Killzone 2 after KZ1. The critical disparity between the two speaks volumes and
2. Looking at their behind the scenes videos recently, I discovered they hired some really talented people from outside to flesh out the story involving the mecha dinos. One of the members responsible for story previously worked on Fallout NV.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can turn off the entire HUD as well as all the icons on the World Map. For the Compass, pretty sure you have to do custom and then select each individual option on or off. I know 100% that the compass can be completely turned off as I hate the compass in games and always turn it completely off.

Great post but I do disagree in regards to the melee combat. It's the most fluid and responsive melee combat this generation. Of course, I did change the buttons from R1/R2 to Square/Triangle respectively so maybe that was an issue for you.

Horizon is an amazing game from beginning to end and I can't wait for the sequel to what was my 2017 game of the year.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

Killzone is weird in that the ingame stories really don't do it's world justice. They had an incredibly detailed and rich world with hundreds of years of fascinating context behind the games... That ultimately the games themselves did very little with.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey OP regarding your UI point here:

Cons:
  • Wish the entire HUD could be turned off and on like in the latest God of War.
I have news. You can turn it off! I dont know why by default the HUD is always displayed. Shortly after starting I chose to have it appear only when in combat. When I'm just exploring the screen was completely clean except for the all important compass/viewpoint locator on top but you can kiss goddbye to the life bar, EXP counter, weapons, and item management on the corners of the screen!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hey Please

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Hey OP regarding your UI point here:

Cons:
  • Wish the entire HUD could be turned off and on like in the latest God of War.
I have news. You can turn it off! I dont know why by default the HUD is always displayed. SHortly after starting I chose to have it apear only when in combat. hen I'm just exploring the screen was completely clean except for the all important compass/viewpoint locator on top but you can kiss goddbye to the life bar, EXP counter, weapons, and item management on the corners of the screen!
You can turn off the entire HUD as well as all the icons on the World Map. For the Compass, pretty sure you have to do custom and then select each individual option on or off. I know 100% that the compass can be completely turned off as I hate the compass in games and always turn it completely off.

Sad-Puppy-Face.jpg

Great post but I do disagree in regards to the melee combat. It's the most fluid and responsive melee combat this generation. Of course, I did change the buttons from R1/R2 to Square/Triangle respectively so maybe that was an issue for you.

I mention R1 specifically because after playing a game like GoW, the animation lacks hit reaction for light attack as it passes straight through the enemy. On the flip side, I have no issues with R2 given the risk to reward ration with R2 attack which visually looks very impactful and has a longer charge up time. As for fluidity, it comes down recovery animation duration. I got my arse handed during the Chieftan's Challenge because I kept on getting knocked down by THE fastest robo..dog?! while failing to make enough ground.

Suffice it to say, I understand it comes down balancing realistic character physics. Lastly, given the plethora of projectile based combat, it would be nice to have more options in the melee department. Pretty sure, that will be on GG's agenda for the sequel.

Borocor

Oct 27, 2017
Voice Acting, for most part, is excellent in conveying emotion and information. The consistency is closer to, again, big budget SP games. In some ways, I was reminded of Mass Effect franchise. There is zero melodramatic, cheesy BS even in the recordings Aloy discovers through the world.

Wow, I really couldn't disagree more. I thought the voice acting in this game was some of the worst I've heard in a major story-driven AAA game.

Almost none of the 'actors' (including Aloy) feel like they really belong in or understand many of the scenes they are in. Their accent, intonation, and emotions conveyed almost never seem correct for the situation. Completely took me out of the game.

It seems like they just grabbed some people from around the studio to voice the characters. If not, the voice director should never work again.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bought the expansion, got crushed and never played it again

Maybe I should go back

Overall, I think it is one of the better told stories this gen. The OST is fire too

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP the only thing I'd add to a wonderful OP is mention that you can go back to Rost's grave after certain story segments and Aloy will relay them to him. For me they were really well done and emotional, similar to the ending.

Maybe I should go back

It is much harder. At the time you couldn't change the difficulty if you did a NG+ run and I was on Ultra Hard and it was absolutely brutalllll.

Last edited:

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mention R1 specifically because after playing a game like GoW, the animation lacks hit reaction for light attack as it passes straight through the enemy. On the flip side, I have no issues with R2 given the risk to reward ration with R2 attack which visually looks very impactful and has a longer charge up time. As for fluidity, it comes down recovery animation duration. I got my arse handed during the Chieftan's Challenge because I kept on getting knocked down by THE fastest robo..dog?! while failing to make enough ground.

Suffice it to say, I understand it comes down balancing realistic character physics. Lastly, given the plethora of projectile based combat, it would be nice to have more options in the melee department. Pretty sure, that will be on GG's agenda for the sequel.

I played and completed the base game and expansion at their respective launches so I can't compare it to God of War since I played it first. I don't remember having any problems with the attacks, any delays or recovering. The only problem I ever had in gameplay was the camera was up my ass at times and I couldn't see what I was doing or where I was at but this was rare and seems to be a general problem in games.

I do agree with you in regards to wanting more melee attacks and them being more varied. Absolutely.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never got around to finishing The Frozen Wilds. As much as I adore HZD, The Frozen Wilds didn't seem worth it.

I could be wrong? Tell me I'm wrong?

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP the only thing I'd add to a wonderful OP is mention that you can go back to Rost's grave after certain story segments and Aloy will relay them to him. For me they were really well done and emotional, similar to the ending about the metal flowers and Elisabet Sobeck.

It is much harder. At the time you couldn't change the difficulty if you did a NG+ run and I was on Ultra Hard and it was absolutely brutalllll.
Yes, I had it on Very Hard as well. I was rusty as hell and the first new enemy encounter was like 10x harder than anything I remembered. I definitely need to go back and adjust the difficulty

OP
OP
Hey Please

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Wow, I really couldn't disagree more. I thought the voice acting in this game was some of the worst I've heard in a major story-driven AAA game.

Almost none of the 'actors' (including Aloy) feel like they really belong in or understand many of the scenes they are in. Their accent, intonation, and emotions conveyed almost never seem correct for the situation. Completely took me out of the game.

It seems like they just grabbed some people from around the studio to voice the characters. If not, the voice director should never work again.

That is surprising. Personally, I felt things started to fall in place after acquiring sufficient information about the world through both normal story as well as audio recordings that paint a picture of what had transpired that made the new inhabitants pick up the American english language and accent. As for the other things, all I can say is that it is unfortunate that it did not work for you. All that said, even though I did not put it in OP, I always felt like Aloy could have been a lot more bitter than how she started out with. Then I realized it was the beliefs of Rost that kept her from being psychologically FUBAR.

Maybe I should go back

Overall, I think it is one of the better told stories this gen. The OST is fire too

You should. Just remember to be around level 45 at least and use Ropecaster without prejudice.

OP the only thing I'd add to a wonderful OP is mention that you can go back to Rost's grave after certain story segments and Aloy will relay them to him. For me they were really well done and emotional, similar to the ending about the metal flowers and
Elisabet Sobeck.

Sorry, I did not include many names to avoid spoilers.

Also, I knew that Aloy does relay story bits to Rost, I just did not know how far into the storyline she kept on doing it. It was both a beautiful and emotion touch, I agree. The only issue that somewhat took away from it was awkwardly placed camera angle during those conversations.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never got around to finishing The Frozen Wilds. As much as I adore HZD, The Frozen Wilds didn't seem worth it.

You're wrong. Frozen Wilds is the best single player expansion ever made for any videogame I've ever played.

For all the praise BotW gets the one thing they sort of fumbled was with its expansion. BotW is the better game but when comparing the value and content of their expansions Frozen Wilds triumphs over Zelda's like nobody's business.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, I did not include many names to avoid spoilers.

Also, I knew that Aloy does relay story bits to Rost, I just did not know how far into the storyline she kept on doing it. It was both a beautiful and emotion touch, I agree. The only issue that somewhat took away from it was awkwardly placed camera angle during those conversations.

Okay I edited my original post. Thank you. I don't think she does it for the DLC, but pretty sure it should change based on major main missions.

OP
OP
Hey Please

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I played and completed the base game and expansion at their respective launches so I can't compare it to God of War since I played it first. I don't remember having any problems with the attacks, any delays or recovering. The only problem I ever had in gameplay was the camera was up my ass at times and I couldn't see what I was doing or where I was at but this was rare and seems to be a general problem in games.

I do agree with you in regards to wanting more melee attacks and them being more varied. Absolutely.

Ah, I should specified that with regards to hit recovery, I am explicitly talking about the amount of time it takes for Aloy to get ready to dodge or attack subsequent to being knocked over off of her feet.

I don't have anything to add, just want to commend you for that excellent OP.

Thank you, kind sir.

If you enjoyed the base game, you would most certainly enjoy the FW. Keep in mind the difficulty spike, however. As for the rest of improvements, please see OP.

Okay I edited my original post. Thank you. I don't think she does it for the DLC, but pretty sure it should change based on major main missions.

Thanks, I had no idea. I stopped going back well before completing Frozen Wilds.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
I agree with most things you're saying OP, but I really don't like the narrative, the way the story is told in the game. The current day story is lame as fuck with one dimensional characters like the main villain (forgot his name) and a predictable overall story flow. The cool lore and background stories are told in mission in which you have to listen to audio tapes for more than 10 minutes sometimes. BioShock did that better and that game came out ten years before Horizon.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah, I should specified that with regards to hit recovery, I am explicitly talking about the amount of time it takes for Aloy to get ready to dodge or attack subsequent to being knocked over off of her feet.

I rarely had a problem with either after getting attacked and "grounded". It's going to take you a few seconds to get back up to a standing base. It won't happen instantly nor should it. Sorry you had problems and I don't believe that I had more than two major negatives in the game if that. majority of my complaints were minor and/or nitpicks. Nothing serious or major. The camera issue I mentioned earlier would be the only major one that comes to mind right now.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Horizon Zero Dawn is one of the best games I've ever played. I was so surprised by it, I had no expectations for it, I barely watched any prerelease content. I'm proud to say I platinumed it within a month of release and I beat it on NG+ Ultra Hard (Frozen Wilds too!).

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Curious why you played with performance mode on the Pro. HZD's framerate is quite consistent on quality mode (or whatever it's called), with framedrops only really appearing in towns. Even then, they're hard to perceive. Personally I wasn't willing to trade the big boost in visuals for vanishingly more consistent performance.

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Bow combat = AWESOME

Melee combat = doo doo

Story = Skynet but still interesting, amazing how that Ted Farro douche went Jar Jar Binks and doomed humanity because he didn't want to put in a back door for his robots
Mod Edit: Added Spoiler Tags

Also great job at world building.

I have a Pro now but I had a Slim when the game came out and even then on a 4K Samsung 55inch it looked jaw dropping.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Hey Please

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I rarely had a problem with either after getting attacked and "grounded". It's going to take you a few seconds to get back up to a standing base. It won't happen instantly nor should it. Sorry you had problems and I don't believe that I had more than two major negatives in the game if that. majority of my complaints were minor and/or nitpicks. Nothing serious or major. The camera issue I mentioned earlier would be the only major one that comes to mind right now.

I guess I felt the same way, right up until I was introduced to the Chieftan's challenge. But in the greater scheme of risk vs penalty balancing, I do agree.

Horizon Zero Dawn is one of the best games I've ever played. I was so surprised by it, I had no expectations for it, I barely watched any prerelease content. I'm proud to say I platinumed it within a month of release and I beat it on NG+ Ultra Hard (Frozen Wilds too!).

Thou art great, o' Anubis.

Curious why you played with performance mode on the Pro. HZD's framerate is quite consistent on quality mode (or whatever it's called), with framedrops only really appearing in towns. Even then, they're hard to perceive. Personally I wasn't willing to trade the big boost in visuals for vanishingly more consistent performance.

The option for "Performance" highlighted that it also includes added visual features. I took it mean better LoDs (I am sensitive to pop ins), AF, DoF etc. Furthermore, in retrospect, DF's analysis (which I watched only after completing the game) showed rare framerate dips on quality mode that were by and large absent from the Performance mode.

Bow combat = AWESOME

Melee combat = doo doo

Story =Spoiler

Also great job at world building.

I have a Pro now but I had a Slim when the game came out and even then on a 4K Samsung 55inch it looked jaw dropping.

OOo you're skirting with major spoilers there mate. But yea, the game definitely could use greater variety in the melee department. AFAIK, the IQ, even on Slim, is exceptional. Granted, that was said to be the case for 1080p tv. I will take your word on it looking exemplary even on 4K 55" tv.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Amazing, isn't it? Now we have to wait another ~2 years for the sequel :( But hey, it will be worth they wait! ;)
I'm glad it sold so well (over 10 million already). Means we will get more Horizon Zero Dawn games in the future.
the story is nothing short of amazing.
I know right? The story is awesome! :)

OP
OP
Hey Please

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Amazing, isn't it? Now we have to wait another ~2 years for the sequel :( But hey, it will be worth they wait! ;)
I'm glad it sold so well (over 10 million already). Means we will get more Horizon Zero Dawn games in the future.

I know right? The story is awesome! :)

At this point, much like yourself, I have resigned to the fact that instead of Killzone, HZD2 would be the technical showcase for PS5. All that being said, opening titles have had a history of being a visual spectacle at the cost of substance (generally). I can only take solace in the fact that the game (most likely) has been in development since sometime last year and so it hopefully ought to afford GG to dot the i's and cross the t's for all the departments (visuals, audio, gameplay and narrative) with improvements.

I only wonder where the game would head geographically, how they will design Aloy's impetus to leave town completely and how will they deal with the skills she has already unlocked.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I still have the frozen wilds to play. I'll probably get around to it in the summer when college is over and rdr2 finished.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At this point, much like yourself, I have resigned to the fact that instead of Killzone, HZD2 would be the technical showcase for PS5. All that being said, opening titles have had a history of being a visual spectacle at the cost of substance (generally). I can only take solace in the fact that the game (most likely) has been in development since sometime last year and so it hopefully ought to afford GG to dot the i's and cross the t's for all the departments (visuals, audio, gameplay and narrative) with improvements.

I only wonder where the game would head geographically, how they will design Aloy's impetus to leave town completely and how will they deal with the skills she has already unlocked.
I'm pretty sure Horizon 2 will launch in PS5's launch year (first 12 months, like Infamous: Second Son). That's over 4 years for Guerrilla, while having a way bigger team than before. Should be good. And I don't think they will rush it. It's their new big baby. Their biggest yet. It's like with Naughty Dog and The Last of Us 2. No way are they going to rush it. They know how big this game/IP is now and how much fans love it :)

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
I'll always gush in a Horizon: Zero Dawn thread... so now I'm going to list the worst problems I had with the game instead!

The worst and most invasive problem: Aiming into the air when surrounded by vegetation very often blocks your field of view - this is especially bad when facing down an incline. They need to tweak the camera in these instances to remain above a certain threshold and closer in height to Aloy's head.

Stacks: Quit it with the stacks! So I can hold a few stacks of twigs. These have to be scrolled through when I'm managing my inventory. Give everything one stack and just put the max cap on each one. Basically, let me carry at least one of everything at the same time, and increase the cap on each stack as inventory upgrades are acquired. This would also solve the problem of finding something you desperately need but don't have any of, and having to drop something just to carry it.

A couple of enemies in the game look too similar to each other. Stop doing that!

I found Meridian city really hard to navigate, for some reason. I remember spending twenty minutes trying to find the door for the room you sleep in before the final mission. I loved the design of the city and all, I just would have appreciated a simpler layout for navigation purposes.

The collectable lore logs hidden throughout the wilderness were FAR too small/innocuous to find without a guide. If they cannot be made more visible in the sequel, perhaps a tracker item that can rumble and/or make a noise when getting close to one would be of great benefit.

Not a problem as such, but I personally did not enjoy any of the hunter's trials (especially the timed ones).

To be honest though, that's all I can really think of in terms of negatives. Game is the best new IP of this gen IMO, and one of my favourite games of all time.

OP
OP
Hey Please

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I'm pretty sure Horizon 2 will launch in PS5's launch year (first 12 months, like Infamous: Second Son). That's over 4 years for Guerrilla, while having a way bigger team than before. Should be good. And I don't think they will rush it. It's their new big baby. Their biggest yet. It's like with Naughty Dog and The Last of Us 2. No way are they going to rush it. They know how big this game/IP is now and how much fans love it :)

Let us hope so.

I'll always gush in a Horizon: Zero Dawn thread... so now I'm going to list the worst problems I had with the game instead!

Let us begin:

The worst and most invasive problem: Aiming into the air when surrounded by vegetation very often blocks your field of view - this is especially bad when facing down an incline. They need to tweak the camera in these instances to remain above a certain threshold and closer in height to Aloy's head.

Agreed.

Stacks: Quit it with the stacks! So I can hold a few stacks of twigs. These have to be scrolled through when I'm managing my inventory. Give everything one stack and just put the max cap on each one. Basically, let me carry at least one of everything at the same time, and increase the cap on each stack as inventory upgrades are acquired. This would also solve the problem of finding something you desperately need but don't have any of, and having to drop something just to carry it.

Yes, as aforementioned, the inventory system definitely needs an overhaul. Your suggestion is actually a very reasonable one.

A couple of enemies in the game look too similar to each other. Stop doing that!

Inorganic or organic?

I found Meridian city really hard to navigate, for some reason. I remember spending twenty minutes trying to find the door for the room you sleep in before the final mission. I loved the design of the city and all, I just would have appreciated a simpler layout for navigation purposes.

To the underlined part- Absolutely freaking YES. I got turned around so many times. As for the rest, I eventually became used to navigating Meridian after going back and forth quite frequently (Hunter's lodge and trading). But perhaps it could more to alleviate the circuitous nature of Meridian.

The collectable lore logs hidden throughout the wilderness were FAR too small/innocuous to find without a guide. If they cannot be made more visible in the sequel, perhaps a tracker item that can rumble and/or make a noise when getting close to one would be of great benefit.

Absolutely agreed. I gave up on the world ones because it was exactly as you put it. Thankfully, no trophies are tied to collecting them. That said, your idea, reminiscent of Uncharted 4 and LL, is a good one, albeit still may not be enough given the scale of the world. Something akin to having them be revealed on the map as a separate layer like Banuk, metal flowers, paint and figurine collectibles could go a long way for avid collectors. Also, holy shit@battery life of these data pads.

Not a problem as such, but I personally did not enjoy any of the hunter's trials (especially the timed ones).

In the beginning I felt the same but eventually after conquering the first lodge in Nora lands and engaging in Hunter's Lodge errands and side quests, I became enamoured with them because they often got to the core of the combat mechanics and player tactics.

I still fondly remember the timed trial I had to with another NPC in the DLC with limited number of different types of arrows to go through various hordes of enemies as she froze them and I took them down- I remember attaining the top rank by destroying the Ice Bellowback with my last, my LAST fire arrow when prior to it I had resigned myself to restarting the trial. My jaw hung open for a good few seconds. A rare moment in gaming for me.

Of course, I recognize full well that it is not for everyone.

To be honest though, that's all I can really think of in terms of negatives. Game is the best new IP of this gen IMO, and one of my favourite games of all time.

Thanks.

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Im I the only one who hated the use of holographic and audio recording to heard the back story? Like, i loved Bioshock audiopod, but I couldn't stand not moving in horizon just to listen to the recording, while the story is great, the use to express it is bad

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Yeah, one of the few games that made me want to track down all the lore related items.
Me, too. There are only very few games (Tomb Raider 2013, on top of my head) where I devoured each and every lore (audio) text because I desperately wanted know what the fuck had happened; and each log left me just wanting more.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I just came back from Best Buy with an 860 Evo SSD because this game killed my 2TB SSHD that was in my PS4 Pro this morning. It might not have been this game that caused it, but it happened as I put a final blow into a boss and, I assume, it was saving the game while loading whatever was supposed to happen when it died.

I only lost an hour of gameplay since my previous save files are stored in the cloud, so it's not too bad. I think it says a lot about the game that I still want to continue despite that incident.

chaosaeon

Oct 26, 2017
i-Lo
So you liked the metal flowers ? What was it that tipped you off to their purpose and what did you think of some of the kind of cryptic lore tidbits like that ?

Unrelated but you know what would be a neat DLC, playing as a squad of soldiers during operation enduring victory in a Halo Reach you-know-how-it's-going-to-end style story. I'd have liked to see more video of the machines during the worst of everything. Like
the audio file where you hear the titan breaking through. I want to see the smokey dead earth with thousands of faro machines dissolving people with the titan behind them etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hey Please

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Im I the only one who hated the use of holographic and audio recording to heard the back story? Like, i loved Bioshock audiopod, but I couldn't stand not moving in horizon just to listen to the recording, while the story is great, the use to express it is bad

I never got around playing Bioshock and so I can't do a comparative analysis. However, I am struggling to find alternative avenues for delivering exposition that would fit the setting. Plus, the recordings did not take control away from the player which refrained being dragged out of the moment.

People who say this werent paying attention to Killzone lore.

I know that KZ lore is vast and rich from the few write ups of it that I have come across. However, from my time playing KZ2 and 3, the lore was never actively involved in shaping that story of mostly localized skirmishes unlike HZD, that puts the past occurrences on a convergence course with the game's present.

Honestly, long before HZD I had often opined for a need for a WRPG set in the KZ universe which explored its inner geopolitical strife whilst leveraging the existing lore. Alas, that was not to be and instead HZD was the fresh start that did not waste the potential of a rich lore.

I just came back from Best Buy with an 860 Evo SSD because this game killed my 2TB SSHD that was in my PS4 Pro this morning. It might not have been this game that caused it, but it happened as I put a final blow into a boss and, I assume, it was saving the game while loading whatever was supposed to happen when it died.

I only lost an hour of gameplay since my previous save files are stored in the cloud, so it's not too bad. I think it says a lot about the game that I still want to continue despite that incident.

Here is a weird coincidence- I too installed the 1TB 860 Evo prior to restarting HZD. While I do not have the load times comparison, the loading itself felt pretty darn brisk every single time.

Also, shame about the timing. Hopefully, you can continue onwards at more rapid pace courtesy of the drive.

Me, too. There are only very few games (Tomb Raider 2013, on top of my head) where I devoured each and every lore (audio) text because I desperately wanted know what the fuck had happened; and each log left me just wanting more.

Not going to lie, keeping track of all consequential and ancillary story and lore bits when stretching out gameplay session over weeks was taxing. Thank goodness for YT to act as a refresher.

Going through Frozen Wilds now, and am having a blast. Great OP by the way, mirrored my thoughts almost exactly.

Thanks mate. Good luck.

i-Lo
So you liked the metal flowers ? What was it that tipped you off to their purpose and what did you think of some of the kind of cryptic lore tidbits like that ?

Unrelated but you know what would be a neat DLC, playing as a squad of soldiers during operation enduring victory in a Halo Reach you-know-how-it's-going-to-end style story. I'd have liked to see more video of the machines during the worst of everything. Like
the audio file where you hear the titan breaking through. I want to see the smokey dead earth with thousands of faro machines dissolving people with the titan behind them etc.

Oh yes! Frankly I just sought them out as collectible towards attaining the trophy. I was always curious how it was unlike all other artifacts and it was even more perplexing that it was referenced in DLC. Only at the very end of the game was its origin revealed with "that" imagery, something that was treated as such as small thing on the side, and yet its ramification so critical to
Elizabeth Sobek's AI
work - Love.

Also to your recommendation, given GG's pedigree they could have pulled it off. Interestingly enough, certain Behind the Scenes videos reveals earliest prototypes of the game utilized Third Person Shooter mechanics whilst using this model:

jammer-killzone-3-1.36.jpg

For the uninitiated, that is Jammer from Killzone 3.

As for your spoiler bit, another interesting bit was (iirc) all of
the ones who Aloy could scan, were women

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I never got around playing Bioshock and so I can't do a comparative analysis. However, I am struggling to find alternative avenues for delivering exposition that would fit the setting. Plus, the recordings did not take control away from the player which refrained being dragged out of the moment.
Sure, but usually you had 2 to 3 audiolog in a room so, yes you can still move around but you can't really do anything, while bioshock where pretty separate to each other

OP
OP
Hey Please

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Sure, but usually you had 2 to 3 audiolog in a room so, yes you can still move around but you can't really do anything, while bioshock where pretty separate to each other

Ah, you so you would rather have had them be more spaced out. While understandable, I could see difficulty given the location related restrictions (at least ones linked directly to the main story). It will be interesting to see how they tackle this in the sequel.