• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EraLurker24

Feb 9, 2022
So this happened recently while playing Forbidden West. I wasn't the biggest fan of HZD, but I got through it.

Anyways, at the start I thought that Forbidden West was really good. Like amazing. That opening in the Daunt was really well-done. I'd say it was excellent even, 10/10 and I stayed there for maybe 10-12 hours. Everything was tuned well and the combat wasn't as frustrating as HZD's. Lots of interesting sidequests with an overarching story that motivated me to keep playing. Interesting exploration with those signal dishes. Dare I say it gave me the feeling I had while playing Witcher 3.

But then you leave the Daunt, and I stopped having fun. Immediately you find that the amount and quality of sidequests dips (this could change of course as I am still playing), and you are told to head to another underground bunker full of lame platforming, cramped hallways that don't suit Aloy's movement controls, and claustrophobic escape sequences (the one positive was the antagonists but that was a predictable story beat for anyone who paid attention to the prologue).

The combat changed as well, now being tuned with the expectation that you have access to levels and skills unavailable in the Daunt. Stealth kills are a lot harder. Enemies are absolute bullet sponges even with difficulty tuned down, and the ones introduced outside the Daunt are way more shifty and jittery, making nailing shots on weakpoints very difficult and annoying.

I was building my Aloy around using explosive sniper arrows from stealth, but the further I play the more it seems like something the devs didn't want you to do, as it doesn't do as much damage as before and enemies start teleporting around you lobbing ice bombs as soon as you get a shot in.

Now maybe some of you who have finished the game can reassure me that things get better. I technically haven't even gotten to the first main settlement yet to meet up with Zo. But I do think it's a shame that some of the focused story-telling and more accessible combat of the Daunt seems to have been axed for more of the same stuff from HZD that I didn't like. I have indeed customized my difficulty settings to alleviate this, but it's not the best solution as there's no way to stop enemies from hopping around like bunnies on caffeine or to stop them from stunlocking you with charges and random attacks.

Anyways that's my 2 cents on the matter. I'm still going to finish the game as there's a lot I like about it besides the quibbles above, but I do think that I have finally nailed the reasons why Horizon doesn't quite sit well with me as a series.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
It was easily the worst lol. There wasn't much to do except the towers and the enemies were really basic. The sidequests improve but they are more spread out over world or maybe you need to find more large settlements. There's just a lot more interesting stuff outside the Daunt in general.

As for the combat and resources issue, yeah its a big issue I have with the game overall.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
I'm biased as it is literally just Zion National Park and I have a huge affinity for that place/that part of the country so… yes? I actually really enjoyed getting my bearings in that canyon. Didn't overstay my welcome but felt like I learned what I needed to know before advancing.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
the first and last areas are my favorite in the game. the middle is one gigantic slog.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I think almost everyone thought the opposite and told people get the hell out of the daunt lol

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
It definitely felt more focused than the rest. Vegas (minor location spoiler) is still the best.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The Daunt served as a good way to get acclimated but I wouldn't consider it the best part of the game at all. I didn't notice some sort of immediate drop in side quest quality, I thought that remained pretty steady throughout the game. I don't remember anything about The Daunt's sidequests that stood out as anything special and more than any other part of the game it felt like more HZD.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
It is in fact probably the worst part about that game and honestly would've been a better experience without it at all.

Oct 31, 2017
The Daunt is the worst part. Once you get the shield wing, the fun started.
Early game I'll recommend investing in the aoe lightning valor surge and either range master or power shots.
Also turn on east loot.

BKsQuadcopter

Apr 1, 2021
The Daunt and Plainsong regions are easily the best because the feel the most focused. It's the same reason I found The Frozen Wilds to be a perfect experience and the rest of Zero Dawn to be just okay.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, that's not an opinion I've seen before tbh. I absolutely love Forbidden West but the Daunt was pretty boring IMO. It's not bad or anything but it might be my least favorite part of the game. Especially since when you first get there you don't have your glider yet so your exploration is limited. The Daunt reminded me of the Hinterlands in Dragon Age Inquisition. I vastly preferred the western coast and the area around Plainsong. Also the desert / Vegas area.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
The Daunt blew me away, surprisingly a lot of people hate it. No Man's Land wasn't as good imo and a lot of people say the game starts there lol what do I know.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I wish they did more with Chainscrape. Once you leave they really don't give you any reason to go back. I wanted to have more conversations with Petra. Also your home base kind of sucks and I would have liked to have them just integrate that with one of the larger settlements.

Jul 2, 2021
So this happened recently while playing Forbidden West. I wasn't the biggest fan of HZD, but I got through it.

Anyways, at the start I thought that Forbidden West was really good. Like amazing. That opening in the Daunt was really well-done. I'd say it was excellent even, 10/10 and I stayed there for maybe 10-12 hours. Everything was tuned well and the combat wasn't as frustrating as HZD's. Lots of interesting sidequests with an overarching story that motivated me to keep playing. Interesting exploration with those signal dishes. Dare I say it gave me the feeling I had while playing Witcher 3.

But then you leave the Daunt, and I stopped having fun. Immediately you find that the amount and quality of sidequests dips (this could change of course as I am still playing), and you are told to head to another underground bunker full of lame platforming, cramped hallways that don't suit Aloy's movement controls, and claustrophobic escape sequences (the one positive was the antagonists but that was a predictable story beat for anyone who paid attention to the prologue).

The combat changed as well, now being tuned with the expectation that you have access to levels and skills unavailable in the Daunt. Stealth kills are a lot harder. Enemies are absolute bullet sponges even with difficulty tuned down, and the ones introduced outside the Daunt are way more shifty and jittery, making nailing shots on weakpoints very difficult and annoying.

I was building my Aloy around using explosive sniper arrows from stealth, but the further I play the more it seems like something the devs didn't want you to do, as it doesn't do as much damage as before and enemies start teleporting around you lobbing ice bombs as soon as you get a shot in.

Now maybe some of you who have finished the game can reassure me that things get better. I technically haven't even gotten to the first main settlement yet to meet up with Zo. But I do think it's a shame that some of the focused story-telling and more accessible combat of the Daunt seems to have been axed for more of the same stuff from HZD that I didn't like. I have indeed customized my difficulty settings to alleviate this, but it's not the best solution as there's no way to stop enemies from hopping around like bunnies on caffeine or to stop them from stunlocking you with charges and random attacks.

Anyways that's my 2 cents on the matter. I'm still going to finish the game as there's a lot I like about it besides the quibbles above, but I do think that I have finally nailed the reasons why Horizon doesn't quite sit well with me as a series.
Lol I loved everything that happened AFTER the Daunt. But it was still cool though. It prepared you for what comes afterwards.
My GOTY so far.

OP
OP
EraLurker24

EraLurker24

Feb 9, 2022
It was easily the worst lol. There wasn't much to do except the towers and the enemies were really basic. The sidequests improve but they are more spread out over world or maybe you need to find more large settlements. There's just a lot more interesting stuff outside the Daunt in general.

As for the combat and resources issue, yeah its a big issue I have with the game overall.

Thanks for this. Yeah I'm definitely going to keep playing and hopefully lowering the enemy health pools keeps the game from feeling too annoying gameplay-wise for me.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Hell no. It made me drop the game. They should've started us in a new environment. I've only just picked the game back up after months and I'm enjoying it more after finally leaving the Daunt. I'm salty that they had the west coast in all the marketing while it looks like it's gonna only be there at the end of the game.

OP
OP
EraLurker24

EraLurker24

Feb 9, 2022
The Daunt blew me away, surprisingly a lot of people hate it. No Man's Land wasn't as good imo and a lot of people say the game starts there lol what do I know.

I've found I have a lot of contrarian views sometimes lol. It's just a conundrum for me as the specific elements that compose Horizon should make it my GOTY, but it never is. So I'm left trying to figure out why haha.

I wish they did more with Chainscrape. Once you leave they really don't give you any reason to go back. I wanted to have more conversations with Petra. Also your home base kind of sucks and I would have liked to have them just integrate that with one of the larger settlements.

Yes I really liked the feel and atmosphere of that town. When you get dumped into no man's land it feels like the production value went down a lot. Obviously this may change when I get to bigger settlements but there's that 5-6 hour dip as you're exploring after leaving the Daunt and it feels bad.

I've made it to that slog, stared playing like a dragon instead. Something about it feels like work to play.

I also felt like putting the game down. I ended up going back to Fire Emblem Three Houses and got addicted to that again lol. Eventually will make it back to FW. But this is exactly what I did with HZD too, got to a certain point where things became annoying or dull and never returned.

OP
OP
EraLurker24

EraLurker24

Feb 9, 2022
Hell no. It made me drop the game. They should've started us in a new environment. I've only just picked the game back up after months and I'm enjoying it more after finally leaving the Daunt. I'm salty that they had the west coast in all the marketing while it looks like it's gonna only be there at the end of the game.

This is a good critique too. But for me I'd say No Man's Land feels nothing like that west coast advertising either, so you go from kinda the best parts of HZD in the Daunt to this lame field of nothingness with no quests and areas blocked off by firegleam.