• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
So finished 1 the other day, and dabbled a bit into the chain of memories before just watching the voiced cutscenes on youtube (Beat this on gba way back in the day... so that's my excuse)... and I think that was enough prepwork before 2.... and god damn I've heard this game was a major improvement over 1, but this is somehow beyond my expectations, mostly on the controls.

KH1 did not control well at all, even for an early ps2 platformer. The camera was bad, the delay on control inputs was bad, the random encounter rate was bad. KH2 improved on all of that. Camera is way back, controls are way tighter, combos are quicker and 'magnet' to enemies better, way less delay on jumping. You can open chests mid battle! You can shortcut items! Switch party members mid battle! Currently not sold on the 'Triangle for awesome' ability just yet. Left a bad impression with the first boss battle as roxas. At least the stuff looks cool. A bit iffy on drive system too. Not being able to fill up at save spots makes me be stingy, but there seems to be a bunch of lvling up of the forms too? A bit irritating... I assume later there are items or skills that makes filling up drive gauge a bit easier. I can see why people criticized this game being just spam X to win. I'm... kinda doing that atm for most enemies. Does feel good to do that though!

Story seems to be massively improved? Or at least it feels like they figured out what they want with this series. Plenty of mystery with the opening act, combined with chain of memories. Doesn't hurt that the cutscene direction is drastically better over kh1. Faces are all super expressive, and some action happens in the cutscenes too. Sora does seem a bit off doing 'disney expressions' now he's kinda gone through puberty with his voice and character model... seems like he didn't really get much smarter though... guess he was just sleeping for a year, not going to school.

Kinda mixed on the map designs. It's been less frustrating but feels maybe a bit too streamlined at times. Like they didn't even bother hiding chests around, just slap 3 right in front of you... Gummi ship sequence seems more fun this time... yet the editor is somehow even more confusing to use than in 1. Not really sure what is going on in the synthesis system either.

Anyways 5 hours in, beat mulan, off to more stuff.

Oct 30, 2017
NJ
I love the improvements and agree with mostly all your points. I'm just a little disappointed that KH2's areas were mostly open fields with almost no platforming until you get to some near end / post game areas (will keep it a surprise for you).
Still, excited to see how KH3 improves on it even more. I have yet to tackle BBS but that's where I'm at in the series right now (going by release order).

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Whenever someone wants to get into the KH series, I always tell them that KH1 and COM are MASSIVE hurdles to get over. But once you do, it's all gravy from there.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Level design is definitely a weak point in KH2. The optional dungeon called Cavern of Remembrance is great but everything else is pretty much just a series of hallways. Thank goodness the combat is among the best gaming has to offer.

Use drive whenever you want. It's super easy to fill up and there is an ability to make the gauge recharge at a faster rate when you are out of MP.

Brink

Dec 18, 2017
KH1 is verging on unplayable. It's absolutely no fun at all. 2 is dated, but miles ahead of the first game.

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Whenever someone wants to get into the KH series, I always tell them that KH1 and COM are MASSIVE hurdles to get over. But once you do, it's all gravy from there.
2 brought me into the series, so I figured I'd try playing 1 with the PS3 Collection, and wow, I dropped it like a rock. No joke, I think CoM on the GBA is better than 1. I think one day, I'll force myself to truck through 1.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Level environments suck because of them being open linear paths. The combat is what makes this my favorite entry in the series and the Data Battles/Terra make it so good. In the middle of platinuming Re Chain of Memories. Can't wait to go back to this afterwards.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't finish 1, but I've beaten 2 so many times.

I have so many good memories of beating this game over the summer might be part of why the Roxas stuff resonates so heavily with me

Enjoy it OP.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
I excuse KH1 more of it's gameplay due to it being first game in the new IP and a near launch title for PS2 but i did like KH1 level designs and everything full of charm and some end levels are crazy very imaginative

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
One of the my favorite games of all time and one of Square's best games, period.

I legit just can't go back to KH1. Its slow, boring and stilted compared to KH2. It's a leap in every regard.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
1 has more interesting level designs and the first hours of 2 are plain awful. Story is better in 1 because it was still very simple.

Really, the only thing 2 did better aside from technical improvements was the battle system. I hated the triangle for awesome at first, but after getting further and unlocking more abilities, it became more enjoyable.

Last edited:

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
KH2's problem is that all the Disney worlds play out too similarly to the movies. Whereas KH1 is more separate stories set in Disney worlds.

There is also a distinct lack of charm and personality to KH2. It may have better gameplay, but it's a complete slog to get through in comparison. KH2 is easily my least favorite mainline KH game, and I have never been more disappointed with a game the first day playing it than any other. It took me the entire night to get through that stupid Roxas introduction.

Gestalt

The Fallen
Nov 10, 2017
Beyond the beginning and end acts, KH2 has way less personality and atmosphere than other entries in the series, but the gameplay makes up for it.
Still, I agree that Sora wandering in the Disney worlds is largely a slog. I got the feeling the writing was a bit too self aware for its own good, as in Sora is supposed to represent your typical kid's experience playing the game for the first time. The context of CoM is literally stripped from his memories, and all he cares about is finding Kairi and Riku; he couldn't care less about the "confusing" events surrounding him.
It's an interesting idea but I think it acts in detriment to the whole, especially since the moments that are out of the realm of Sora's simplistic understanding of his situation are the most well executed and compelling parts of the game.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One day people will come together and realize KH1 is the best game in the series.

Till then I will keep the dream alive.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
One day people will come together and realize KH1 is the best game in the series.

Till then I will keep the dream alive.

People already realise KH1 is the best games, this is just some weirdos on Era.

Story goes to trash in KH2 with the bullshit secret organisation. Also, Roxas is the worst and easily the most difficult to get past.

The worlds arent nearly as fun to jump into and magical anymore, or they're reused worlds from 1. I mean, I love Tron like the next guy, but that world...eesh.

KH1 has probably the worst camera I have ever had to deal with though lol. Oh and we dont talk about Monstro around these parts.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People already realise KH1 is the best games, this is just some weirdos on Era.

Story goes to trash in KH2 with the bullshit secret organisation. Also, Roxas is the worst and easily the most difficult to get past.

The worlds arent nearly as fun to jump into and magical anymore, or they're reused worlds from 1. I mean, I love Tron like the next guy, but that world...eesh.

KH1 has probably the worst camera I have ever had to deal with though lol. Oh and we dont talk about Monstro around these parts.

Monstro was chaotic, claustrophobic fun and the Tron World (and Timeless River) was one of the only good implementations of the Disney properties from a story perspective; I'd talk about the level design but it was just another goddamn set of hallways like every other world.

T-Min

May 23, 2018
Tennessee
The level design in KH2 isn't as intricate as in KH1, but I think the game makes up for that with its variety in mechanics, minigames, visuals, etc. Plus, with the improved controls and combat, the whole game just flows better.

I want to say that I agree on the story, but you might find that the pacing gets a bit iffy as the game goes on. There are some cool moments, but how much you enjoy KH2's story as a whole will largely depend on how much you like the Disney world interactions. I think KH2 is pretty strong in that regard, though. Can't say I agree that it has "less personality" than the other entries XP

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing through KH2 now. Not the first time I have tried it but the farthest I have gotten so far, I'd guestimate about a 1/3rd of the way.

I kinda miss the exploration from the first game. Some levels did a shit job directing you on where you should go but even still I liked finding my own way a bit better. In almost every other way though, I like KH2 more.

Well that, and the game is astonishingly easy compared to the first so far.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I liked two the first time I played through it but I can't get into it anymore. The Disney stuff is just so terrible that I can't get to the actual "good" stuff. I actually ended up liking KH1 a lot more, and I've beaten it several times.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care for difficulty, I want good gameplay. They should have made the original game well, but now I have no reason to touch some re-release of a shitty game.

It actually totally redefines the gameplay into something more akin to Character Action. You take more damage, but you dish it out more too, plus you get extra AP to equip all your abilities at once.

If nothing else, Critical Mode makes KH2 worth playing if only for the gaeplay.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't hurt that the cutscene direction is drastically better over kh1.
source.gif

There's more animation, but man, the construction of the cutscenes is so much more vanilla.
What difficulty are you playing on?
If it isn't critical you should restart. :]
And honestly, yeah. The game is way too fucking easy on anything else. It's why I was fairly disappointed with it at launch, but love the gameplay now.

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
It actually totally redefines the gameplay into something more akin to Character Action. You take more damage, but you dish it out more too, plus you get extra AP to equip all your abilities at once.

If nothing else, Critical Mode makes KH2 worth playing if only for the gaeplay.
Fine, I'll say it at least sounds decent. Maybe I'll try it some day, but with my back log, probably will take at least five years. At least by them KH3 should be out, and cheap (and rereleased).

OP
OP
Jeff ChickenDig
Oct 25, 2017
What difficulty are you playing on?
If it isn't critical you should restart. :]
source.gif

There's more animation, but man, the construction of the cutscenes is so much more vanilla.

And honestly, yeah. The game is way too fucking easy on anything else. It's why I was fairly disappointed with it at launch, but love the gameplay now.

Well yeah, but kh1 cutscenes were barely cutscenes lol. kh2 feels better than... what i remember of ps2 era in terms of cutscenes.

Yeah the game is pretty damn easy so far... which is odd, felt like the normal difficulty on kh1 had plenty of challenging moments and plenty of times where you can die pretty easily, especially with some of the boss fights like ansem and ursula which i've died plenty.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
KH2 improves on basically everything KH1 has except level design(Which honestly isn't even good in KH 1, just exists rather than not in KH2) and story 9Same as the previous.)

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
It's not too late to restart if you're only 5 hours in. Critical is a must imo and it should be written in the cover tbh.

OP
OP
Jeff ChickenDig
Oct 25, 2017
maybe ill try critical later... seems like something worth trying on a second playthrough.

btw: when do I get faster movement options? Like I recall you get dodge roll pretty early in the first game.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
maybe ill try critical later... seems like something worth trying on a second playthrough.

btw: when do I get faster movement options? Like I recall you get dodge roll pretty early in the first game.

You have to level up Wisdom Form to unlock the Slide Dash, and Critical Form to unlock Dodge Roll.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

You get movemtn abilities by leveling up your drive forms.

Valor = High Jump
Wisdom = Quick Run (A dash)
Limit = Dodge Roll
Master = Aerial Dodge (basically a double jump)
Final = Glide/Super Glide

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
My biggest beef with KH2 is that you don't have dodge roll at the start, which makes early Critical even more difficult. The Pirates world was pretty hard because you had enemies shooting you of screen, but there are times where you can't really hit back at them.

KH2 still has the best combat in the series because of all the options available to you, and Critical will make you use them. BBS is fun but terribly balanced: 2 of 3 characters can permanently be invincible, and the best decks involve Mine/Surge. 3D's Flow Motion breaks all semblance of platforming, and everyone knows Balloon is all you need especially on Lv1 Crit.

Nickgia

Dec 30, 2017
You need to be playing on critical if you aren't, OP. Both you and the enemies are glass cannons and it forces you to make use of all the battle mechanics. Way more fun than vanilla / proud mode.

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
Little tip for leveling up drive forms, if you enter a save spot WHILE your drive form is active and exit to the world map, you refill your drive gauge back to max. It's a good way to keep leveling up a form if you're trying to grind out those form abilities/levels.

You can also avoid entering anti-form(which drains your drive gauge in its entirety) by activating a form BEFORE any battle. If you're not in combat, it's impossible to enter anti form, so also keep that in mind when leveling up forms.

OP
OP
Jeff ChickenDig
Oct 25, 2017
My god is there something fascinating playing the steamboat willy lvl rendered at 4k.

Do like they are mixing up the gameplay every once in a while.

Got my ass kicked by the book dude on the island which I think was from chain of memories ... Think I'll do this when I'm higher level.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
My god is there something fascinating playing the steamboat willy lvl rendered at 4k.

Do like they are mixing up the gameplay every once in a while.

Got my ass kicked by the book dude on the island which I think was from chain of memories ... Think I'll do this when I'm higher level.
Aha yeah, Steamboat Willie is such an awesome thing for them to have done. I'm really hoping they go for something nuts like that in KH3 (arguably, they've sorta done something at the same level of nuts with the difference in art between Toy Story, Monsters Inc and Pirates, but yeah, I'm greedy and want more :P).

Most of the optional Organization XIII fights are for later. You can do them when you find them and they're extremely fun, but difficult. I honestly don't know which I'd call out as my favourite. Marluxia and Larxene are both awesome bosses.

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
I kind of felt the opposite? I won't argue the controls are probably way better in 2 but man I preferred the more deliberate combat/parry style over the constant quick-time musou filler moves. On top of that the level design was way worse, the plot way less charming; to me at least.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My opinion of Kingdom Hearts 2 is that it has a terrible game world, terrible story, and an amazing combat system. For a lot of people, that third part is apparently good enough to make them forget or ignore those other two parts.

I'm talking about KH2: Final Mix, of course. Vanilla KH2 has a pathetic difficulty balance which makes it's combat bland as fuck and therefore makes nothing about the game good.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
KH2 have a worse level design than KH1 though. Wish they improve upon the platforming control instead of ditching them entirely for a flat linear level.

OP
OP
Jeff ChickenDig
Oct 25, 2017
Little tip for leveling up drive forms, if you enter a save spot WHILE your drive form is active and exit to the world map, you refill your drive gauge back to max. It's a good way to keep leveling up a form if you're trying to grind out those form abilities/levels.

You can also avoid entering anti-form(which drains your drive gauge in its entirety) by activating a form BEFORE any battle. If you're not in combat, it's impossible to enter anti form, so also keep that in mind when leveling up forms.

Yeah what is up with that heartless form? I assume its a lore thing related to that moment in kh1... but what triggers it? Is the form even any good, damage wise?

lowlifelenny

Oct 27, 2017
I recently made a concerted effort to re-appreciate KH1 on PS4 after being dismissive of the first two games back in the day. To my surprise KH1 did manage to click successfully, I enjoyed facets of the game I hadn't really understood before and went in deep in customisation and technique, discovering a fun little adventure.

If anything I hate KH2 even more than I did before. I love the visuals, sound, and exquisite attention to detail, but everything else about the game is the diametric opposite of what I want from this kind of thing.

I can't stand it.

I won't argue the controls are probably way better in 2 but man I preferred the more deliberate combat/parry style over the constant quick-time musou filler moves. On top of that the level design was way worse, the plot way less charming; to me at least.

Right on the button.

My biggest beef with KH2 is that you don't have dodge roll at the start

I missed the dodge feature like you wouldn't believe. It made 1 so much fun, they were out of their minds to lock it to a Drive.