Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Starting to regret playing KH3 before BBS now. I've gotta wonder how much more I would have got out of the story.
Now that you beat KH3 though, you can replay it with cool stuff and enjoy it even more through the story : P

I'd play Dream Drop Distance before doing so though, it's sort of a lynchpin for why the plot in KH3 has all the different badguys and stuff.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Starting to regret playing KH3 before BBS now. I've gotta wonder how much more I would have got out of the story.

KH3 was mostly about payoffs, some were rushed some were great and some were ok.

But without caring for any of the people Sora journeys to help it probably fell pretty flat.

The final scene of BBS Blank Points secret movie where post KH2 Sora decides to start the journey to help Ventus, Roxas, Aqua and co. Because his KH2 happy ending meant the suffering of all these people and it's just not fair is one of my favorite moments for Sora's character

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
Now that you beat KH3 though, you can replay it with cool stuff and enjoy it even more through the story : P

I'd play Dream Drop Distance before doing so though, it's sort of a lynchpin for why the plot in KH3 has all the different badguys and stuff.
If I ever do replay KH3 I'll put the difficulty up a notch. KH3 on standard was definitely too easy it had no pushback whatsoever.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
If I ever do replay KH3 I'll put the difficulty up a notch. KH3 on standard was definitely too easy it had no pushback whatsoever.
Put it on critical, you'll have a special ability now that you beat the game that makes your combos way better, and you'll be able to carry all your keyblades to the start (unupgraded I think), which will give you all the options you need to survive and thrive in the combat.

You can also activate special codes to make the game easier or harder in specific ways in case that makes it more fun, but you'll probably do well enough with just the difficulty increase.

If you wanna get a fantastic keyblade, Oathkeeper, and bring it back with you, take a trip around the worlds and get every Lucky Emblem so you unlock it, you'll be able to take it with you I think, to a NG+ playthrough of Critical. It's very good and very fun to use.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
Put it on critical, you'll have a special ability now that you beat the game that makes your combos way better, and you'll be able to carry all your keyblades to the start (unupgraded I think), which will give you all the options you need to survive and thrive in the combat.

You can also activate special codes to make the game easier or harder in specific ways in case that makes it more fun, but you'll probably do well enough with just the difficulty increase.

If you wanna get a fantastic keyblade, Oathkeeper, and bring it back with you, take a trip around the worlds and get every Lucky Emblem so you unlock it, you'll be able to take it with you I think, to a NG+ playthrough of Critical. It's very good and very fun to use.
Well I already have Ultima which I assume is the best keyblade anyway

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Well I already have Ultima which I assume is the best keyblade anyway
Yeah, but Oathkeeper and Oblivion are special ones added in after, they are a lot of fun and funcionally the second best in the game.

They make you dual wield keyblades like Roxas does, and it kicks ass.

1200px-Sora_%28Double_Form%29_KHIII.png

They both have the same form, just one is easier to unlock then the other.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Wow it all ties together!

Fuck that would have got me pumped for KH3

Even Mickey randomly losing his shirt to ensure continuity with KH1!

Seriously KH is a very very VERY stupid story but damn it's just so much fun.

Beware tho, DDD is pretty weak and confusing plot wise with
time travel and dreams within dreams bullshit

But it's selection of Disney films is so weird that it was great

And before you start DDD, this short secret teaser from Re:Coded is worth watching:

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
I still think it was the right decision to have KH3 start with Olympus rather than that. I mean, if that prologue was included in KH3 I definitely would have been complaining about the slow start. People really invested in the story probably would have played that before KH3 anyway. People not got straight to the Disney. Right decision.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I still think it was the right decision to have KH3 start with Olympus rather than that. I mean, if that prologue was included in KH3 I definitely would have been complaining about the slow start. People really invested in the story probably would have played that before KH3 anyway. People not got straight to the Disney. Right decision.
Yeah I've probably said it several times in this thread already but it was absolutely the right choice. Everyone I know who got into KH solely for the Disney absolutely hates the prologues in KH1 and 2. It's the whole selling point for the franchise and KH3 gives it to you right away.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
The flowmotion system is kinda cool, but that's about it. Not liking the feel of combat and the spirit thing is kinda......I dunno.
It relies more on your Keyblade than BBS, which was kinda mash triangle and rotate through commands.
Spirits are like a mix between playing the board game and melding commands. You want to use and level as many as you can to get their abilities from the level up grid they have. There are some good ones, and I don't really think you can go wrong with any, but it's worth it to swap often.

Also, Riku has more fun unique abilities imo.

mo60

Oct 25, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
I only died once in physical combat with the keyblade in Kingdom Hearts 3 on normal difficulty and that was to the secret boss. I did die like a dozen times on various gummi bosses and on the ships in the carribbean. Thinking of switching to proud on my next playthrough of the game whenever that is. I died dozens of times in various other kingdom hearts games because of bosses like riku/ansem and some of the enemy encounter scenarios in kh2, but nothing in kh3 compares to those in the base game.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
I only died once in physical combat with the keyblade in Kingdom Hearts 3 on normal difficulty and that was to the secret boss. I died like a dozen times on various gummi bosses and on the ships in the carribbean. Thinking of switching to proud on my next playthrough of the game whenever that is.
Exactly the same for me. Died once on the secret boss, and died once in ship combat in Pirates. It's really a shame you can't switch difficulty mid game in KH games. You can't risk starting on a higher difficulty because if it's too hard later you can't get away from the frustration.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
I only died once in physical combat with the keyblade in Kingdom Hearts 3 on normal difficulty and that was to the secret boss. I did die like a dozen times on various gummi bosses and on the ships in the carribbean. Thinking of switching to proud on my next playthrough of the game whenever that is. I died dozens of times in various other kingdom hearts games because of bosses like riku/ansem and some of the enemy encounter scenarios in kh2.
Proud KH3 is in fact pretty easy too, only with ReMind you get some challenge. If you want a tougher playthrough, I would recommend going for critical

or (although I never tried)
KH3 on Proud with Sora's Defense set at 0 via Pro Code is great

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I only died once in physical combat with the keyblade in Kingdom Hearts 3 on normal difficulty and that was to the secret boss. I did die like a dozen times on various gummi bosses and on the ships in the carribbean. Thinking of switching to proud on my next playthrough of the game whenever that is. I died dozens of times in various other kingdom hearts games because of bosses like riku/ansem and some of the enemy encounter scenarios in kh2, but nothing in kh3 compares to those in the base game.
Even on Proud, KH3 is stupidly easy. It was one of my biggest complaints at launch.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
lol. In my defense you did try and resist reaction commands at first, and didn't level up drives XD.
I have to wonder how a second playthrough of KH2 would go for me knowing what I know now. I might go in to the end game with a movement option or two!

Also facepalm I wasn't reading properly and only just realised you can have multiple spirits equipped at once in DDD. Well at least I didn't realise too late. Still on the first Disney world.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
Yo I don't get this drop thing. Someone explain please. What was I supposed to do to get more drop points to spend?

By the way I totally do not appreciate being kicked out of the level!

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Yo I don't get this drop thing. Someone explain please. What was I supposed to do to get more drop points to spend?

Basically both Riku and Sora play through the game in tandem. When your drop gauge empties, you switch to the other.

You can use cheap items called "Drop-Me-Nots" to extend your drop gauge so you don't get dropped into the other character unexpectedly.

As you fight, you collect Drop Points, mutliplied by how low your drop gauge is when you get them, and use them for small buffs and items when you eventually drop into the opposite character.

That's generally how it works. Also, if I remember correctly, Riku and Sora don't share Dream Eaters but do share inventories, excluding keyblades. I might be wrong with that tho.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Whenever Sora falls asleep when his drop runs ou,, Riku wakes up.

You get bonuses for switching, and your progress as each is saved UNLESS IN A BOSS AND THAT FUCKING SUCKS .

You can reset your drop by using "Drop Me Nots" which helps a lot

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I have to wonder how a second playthrough of KH2 would go for me knowing what I know now. I might go in to the end game with a movement option or two!

Also facepalm I wasn't reading properly and only just realised you can have multiple spirits equipped at once in DDD. Well at least I didn't realise too late. Still on the first Disney world.
I've not played since launch, except to try the second stick camera when I got my N3DS, so I'm a bit iffy on the details, but from what I remember:
  • Sora and Riku can have 2 equipped at a time.
  • Petting/poking and feeding them can open new paths in their skill tree, which is unique per dream eater.
  • They can be crafted in multiple ways like commands, but using rarer items gives you a dream eater with a higher initial level.
  • Stat abilities require you to have said Dream eater in your party. Other things you unlock on the ability board are always passive as long as you still own said dream eater.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I've not played since launch, except to try the second stick camera when I got my N3DS, so I'm a bit iffy on the details, but from what I remember:
  • Sora and Riku can have 2 equipped at a time.
  • Petting/poking and feeding them can open new paths in their skill tree, which is unique per dream eater.
  • They can be crafted in multiple ways like commands, but using rarer items gives you a dream eater with a higher initial level.
  • Stat abilities require you to have said Dream eater in your party. Other things you unlock on the ability board are always passive as long as you still own said dream eater.
You can have 3 equipped and 2 in battle

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
So is there a benefit or opposite to that based on when you drop? Is it best to wait for it to force me to drop or drop earlier?

It's entirely up to you, Sora will pass bonuses, abilities and items to Riku when he drops and vice versa.

My advice is, run the clock if you want to buff Riku or Sora's side, use drop me nots when you feel you're near a boss

Mar 31, 2018
Don't think there is a penalty nor a true benefit. In general you earn enough points to buy (rare) things if you drop anyway.

I think at the mid point of the game I decided to just do worlds on each character and then drop. Not because I disliked the system or anything but I assume you play it on a lower difficulty again, so I don't really see any point in buffing and the like. It does help, though.

I liked the system and the pets and stuff, so perhaps I am just weird but I really liked DDD. I played all the games in order so Flowmotion was kind of awesome but if you played KH3 it's a lesser version of that, I guess :p

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
I'm coming around to the systems I've got a number of things on the skill trees of the 2 spirits I have. Done a couple pet minigames that seeme to be how you level them outside of gameplay.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
Don't think there is a penalty nor a true benefit. In general you earn enough points to buy (rare) things if you drop anyway.

I think at the mid point of the game I decided to just do worlds on each character and then drop. Not because I disliked the system or anything but I assume you play it on a lower difficulty again, so I don't really see any point in buffing and the like. It does help, though.

I liked the system and the pets and stuff, so perhaps I am just weird but I really liked DDD. I played all the games in order so Flowmotion was kind of awesome but if you played KH3 it's a lesser version of that, I guess :p
I wouldn't say flowmotion is a lesser KH3. Feels more pronounced and a bigger deal here than in KH3. More core to the gameplay. Like shotlock was for BBS. KH3 has both of these things but they feel less important in KH3.

Mar 31, 2018
I wouldn't say flowmotion is a lesser KH3. Feels more pronounced and a bigger deal here than in KH3. More core to the gameplay. Like shotlock was for BBS. KH3 has both of these things but they feel less important in KH3.

Ah yes, I agree, exactly as you said it there. I worded it wrong reading back. It's not 'new' as in, not the new 'gimmick' so to speak if you played KH3 before. You could safely ignore it in KH3 but in DDD it kinda works really well in your advantage. That's what I meant, I think.

Either way, it's awesome in DDD. In KH3 it was there but not that important. Nor is it in DDD, you can still smash to win so to speak but Flowmotion combat is so much fun and works so well with those tiny envoirments. There's always options!

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
I got some questions about spirits.

When creating spirits, do I want to be using more stuff to make them start at a higher level or just go with their base? So far I've just been going with base but I always give them a potion.

Do spirits level or collect points to spend on abilities if you don't have them in battle with you? In your party you have 2 in battle with you and then a third. What's the purpose of the third?

By the way I hate the drop mechanic. Kicking you out when you don't want to is not cool. You do not have enough time. I like to take things slow. Can't do that with this mechanic. I feel rushed all the time. It is not cool.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I got some questions about spirits.

When creating spirits, do I want to be using more stuff to make them start at a higher level or just go with their base? So far I've just been going with base but I always give them a potion.

Do spirits level or collect points to spend on abilities if you don't have them in battle with you? In your party you have 2 in battle with you and then a third. What's the purpose of the third?

By the way I hate the drop mechanic. Kicking you out when you don't want to is not cool. You do not have enough time. I like to take things slow. Can't do that with this mechanic. I feel rushed all the time. It is not cool.

The drop mechanic sucks yes, no one will tell you otherwise, Drop me nots are your friends.

Hilariously after you drop you can make thr next characters timer run slower

The dream eaters level up in battle or by being in the third slot of your spirit party albeit a bit slower in my experience.

Giving them items while creating them will give them increased stats

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
The drop mechanic sucks yes, no one will tell you otherwise, Drop me nots are your friends.

Hilariously after you drop you can make thr next characters timer run slower

The dream eaters level up in battle or by being in the third slot of your spirit party albeit a bit slower in my experience.

Giving them items while creating them will give them increased stats
I understand it gives them increased stats. But do I want to give them increased starting stats? Or save my stuff. I don't know what the best approach should be. I'm happy enough giving anything I make a potion or whatever since I know they're plentiful and not important to me. But the general resources I'm not sure to waste or not.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

secret boss as in limit cut or just the battle gates boss? I'd be seriously impressed if your only loss was to the limit cut boss even on normal.

Boy do I have some news for you...

It's the fucking mobile gacha game

If you cut out the filler, its' story is also quite compelling. I'm still salty they made it a mobile gacha game.