• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Been sitting on this game for a number of years. This week I finally got around to checking it out and I'm very impressed. Kuon is a PS2 survival horror game set in Heian period Japan (794 to 1185), mostly within a feudal manor and its adjacent grounds. Its gameplay involves exploring the manor, unlocking new sections, light puzzle related stuff as well as trying to gain an understanding of what exactly transpired at this manor. You choose your protagonist between two Japanese women, one a caring "shrine maiden" who's been isolated near this manor for much of her life, the other a disciple of a notorious exorcist. Both characters feature their own scenarios and story. Kuon draws on Japanese folklore, which I find pretty interesting as I know nothing about the tale that's the focus of this game.

What I loved:

-The oppressive environment. Exploring is tense, you're frequently traveling at walking speed, as jogging alerts enemies. Often while just walking around you'll knock over small objects and have to scramble into fight or flight mode.

giphy.gif

-The aesthetic and atmosphere. You travel throughout this beautiful, candlelit old manor, adjacent temple and garden. The whole game carrying a lantern illuminating just a small patch of space around you. honestly, it's a gorgeous game.

-Dual Audio! Although one issue is that stuff that's said outside of cutscenes isn't subtitled. Though this actually rarely was an issue.

-Even though this is a game out of Japan with multiple female protagonists, they are never objectified for the viewer. At no point do I remember anything close to pandering, which is pretty cool. While I haven't played their whole catalog, it would seem FromSoft is pretty decent in this regard.

-The direction is great. I really dug the use of fixed and panning shots. I included gifs to showcase some of the camera angles. Playing this game again reminds me of how much I love this style of game.

giphy.gif

-One of the best contextualizations for a saving mechanic in any game. Like holy shit it's so cool. You find paper boats in the game world and save by sending them downstream carrying a single candle. It's suggested that the ritual of setting the boat to water protects or purifies one's spirit, potentially giving them another shot at life. But damn, it looks cool. It also makes the large estate buildings more threatening as you know you wont be able to save until you get back outside, while also giving the player a really relieving feeling upon finding a stream of water. Mechanically it behaves very similarly to the ink ribbons of Resident Evil, a mechanic that I personally dig.
While in the incredibly tainted and "hellish" caverns under the manor you stumble upon all of your boats and presumably the boats of many of the deceased residents, washed up in a depressing pool.
Finding all these boats washed up here really hit me with that bleakness.
iM1qFAj.png

Vrx9bqJ.png

dwa2hCn.png
I gotta admit, I almost made a thread solely about this save system & context instead of a LTTP.

-I was always disinterested when I heard people describe the game's combat as card based. While it's kind of true, it's better described as having limited use spells which you find ammunition for within the game's world. I'd say it added something pretty interesting and unique to this experience, as you're not just throwing ranged spells, but occasionally summoning animals or creatures to fight for you. Mechanically it's very clunky and all that.

I did have some issues:

-At first I was much more critical of the difficulty balancing. After playing the first character's story I felt I was hardly ever asked to use my spell cards or healing items. Much because the game gives you a free self-heal ability outside of combat and because you can out-dps many of the enemies with your melee weapon. Although the second character's playthrough seemed to add that much needed difficulty, I felt vulnerable in fights and there were a bunch more boss encounters.

giphy.gif

-Relatedly, the second playthrough suffers from diminishing returns. There are actually a bunch of unique moments and scenarios depending on which character you choose, but you retread over and repeat a bunch of major content. With that said, I still thoroughly enjoyed the second run, though it just didn't deliver the same highs as the first. It's gotta be mentioned that there is a very substantial gameplay reward for finishing the story with both characters.
Finishing the two playthroughs unlocks a third campaign featuring a new character.

If you dig survival horror, especially that PS2 era gameplay, fixed cameras and all, then you should definitely check this game out. It delivers on it's wonderful setting, atmosphere, and haunting Japanese folklore story. Although, if you haven't played the classics of the genre, (Silent Hill 1-3, REmake, Haunting Ground & others) I would recommend checking those first. Playing this just got me very reminiscent of the PS2 horror catalog and I think I'm going to head into Fatal Frame 3 next, which I never got around to trying.

[I don't have recording equipment for my PS2, so I made these gifs via the Kuon longplay by the Youtuber, SHN Survival Horror Network. They upload longplays without commentary of all sorts of horror games, so feel free to check out their channel.]

OP
OP
CannonFodder52
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Finally, someone who appreciates this game as much as I do. Glad you enjoyed, OP.

The way people talked about this game, I just got the impression it was bottom of the barrel PS2 horror. While it's not one of the greats, it's still a really interesting and cool game. Its really too bad it's not downloadable or very accessible at the moment.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The way people talked about this game, I just got the impression it was bottom of the barrel PS2 horror. While it's not one of the greats, it's still a really interesting and cool game. Its really too bad it's not downloadable or very accessible at the moment.
I think the reason you dont hear more talk about it is that few people actually played it. It's incredibly rare, at least in the west.

NEE HEE HEE

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
OP, this isn't too on-topic but are you playing off the real disc? Take good care of that thing because it's worth over $500 atm.

OP
OP
CannonFodder52
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I wish someone would put this and Haunting Ground on PSN.

These game really need to be played by more people.
For sure. Haunting Ground especially though, that's easily one of my top 5 of all time.

OP, this isn't too on-topic but are you playing off the real disc? Take good care of that thing because it's worth over $500 atm.
Yeah, I grabbed it a few years ago when it was far more easily obtainable . Although, I think it's more like 300~ right now.
I wonder if it will drop now that people know that Shadows Die Twice / Sekiro isn't directly related lol.

Tonypark

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I regret throwing away my PS2 copy a long time ago... (and my copy of rule of rose also)
Amazing game, I never knew it was fromsoft until recently.

NEE HEE HEE

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
For sure. Haunting Ground especially though, that's easily one of my top 5 of all time.

Yeah, I grabbed it a few years ago when it was far more easily obtainable . Although, I think it's more like 300~ right now.
I wonder if it will drop now that people know that Shadows Die Twice / Sekiro isn't directly related lol.

Now you're confusing me. Are you suggesting the price jump was because of the Sekiro speculation? I didn't know what the prices were prior.

OP
OP
CannonFodder52
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Now you're confusing me. Are you suggesting the price jump was because of the Sekiro speculation? I didn't know what the prices were prior.

I think it was rising regardless, but I also feel like there was a large jump due to the interest after the name Kuon started coming up a lot over the last year or so.

I could be wrong but wasn't it at $80 2 years ago?

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
That price seems insane. I'd like to try it and the Echo Night PS2 game too, but yeah... Absurd.

I do love the art of the game though. I'd never heard of it until the Shadows Die Twice stuff.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
I want to warn people that don't like jump scare... don't play that game ! I remember to have a pretty big amount of them (about the same level as Fatal frame 1 ). It was a fantastic game when it got release, i'm pretty sure it's still pretty good after all these year.

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
It really is an excellent game. The kind of horror game I love, but not the kind we get much of anymore. After putting off getting it for years because of how expensive it was, I was somehow lucky enough to get a physical copy for $50 a few months ago and play it for the first time.

Sadly, not many people are probably going to play it though.

Oct 25, 2017
The story is so incredible; as in, it's one of the most intriguing. One of those games that got me reading and researching the Heian period, Japanese folklore.

I think it's clear FROM always killed it. The magic system reminds me of how they changed things for dark Souls 2. Limited spells, etc.

I don't have a full copy, just the disc, but it's one I'll always hold on to. Along with my Echo Night Beyond copy.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
I loved this game. It's one of my favorites. The atmosphere was fantastic and I was very happy with it. I really enjoyed the story, the setting, and the characters were intriguing to me. I quite like how Utsuki thought to bring a knife with her going into this creepy ass town, and how she actually peeks her head through doors before going into them (though it's solely cosmetic, I appreciated the thought.)

Also, did you notice that if you stop moving, you can see better?

Deleted member 18347

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That price seems insane. I'd like to try it and the Echo Night PS2 game too, but yeah... Absurd.

I do love the art of the game though. I'd never heard of it until the Shadows Die Twice stuff.

I dunno what's with From and these oppressively dark atmospheric games with NPCs that feel like they're talking in a big empty hall. Even that opening feels so much From Soft.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I dunno what's with From and these oppressively dark atmospheric games with NPCs that feel like they're talking in a big empty hall. Even that opening feels so much From Soft.
So good...

I don't know how I didn't know about From before Demon's blew up. It's easy to say it's all Miyazaki, and to not consider their work before hand, and certainly, all the From titles I've played before hand suck, but that studio has such artistry and capacity for crafting mood. It's pretty fantastic.

Oh man, I'm going to end up rebuying PSVR for that little girl ghost simulator thing, aren't I? Fuck...

Oct 25, 2017
So good...

I don't know how I didn't know about From before Demon's blew up. It's easy to say it's all Miyazaki, and to not consider their work before hand, and certainly, all the From titles I've played before hand suck, but that studio has such artistry and capacity for crafting mood. It's pretty fantastic.

Oh man, I'm going to end up rebuying PSVR for that little girl ghost simulator thing, aren't I? Fuck...
It's awesome to read interviews about how Miyazaki wants to bring back this quality that From Software always had, of these quirky titles that feel different from the rest of the industry. Recapturing the style of old school From Software, but with the quality of the Miyazaki-era From Software sounds amazing. Super excited about their recently announced titles, and already looking forward to whatever they make in the future.

Oct 27, 2017
I think it was rising regardless, but I also feel like there was a large jump due to the interest after the name Kuon started coming up a lot over the last year or so.

I could be wrong but wasn't it at $80 2 years ago?
I bought it four years ago for $40, disc-only.
The story is so incredible; as in, it's one of the most intriguing. One of those games that got me reading and researching the Heian period, Japanese folklore.

I think it's clear FROM always killed it. The magic system reminds me of how they changed things for dark Souls 2. Limited spells, etc.

I don't have a full copy, just the disc, but it's one I'll always hold on to. Along with my Echo Night Beyond copy.
It's funny looking at old Fromsoft games and seeing all the little ideas they've iterated on game after game, sometimes in wildly different genres/settings. Kuon also got me reading up on Heian era Japan; it's a pretty unique period in their history,

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
A little bit sad that Sekiro isn't Kuon spiritual successor (well at least from what we have seen so far)

OP
OP
CannonFodder52
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It really is an excellent game. The kind of horror game I love, but not the kind we get much of anymore. After putting off getting it for years because of how expensive it was, I was somehow lucky enough to get a physical copy for $50 a few months ago and play it for the first time.

Sadly, not many people are probably going to play it though.
Hey, nice pick up!
Also, did you notice that if you stop moving, you can see better?
I never noticed that actually, damn.

Really glad to see so many people on here who actually dig this game. And yeah, Echo Night Beyond is also really awesome.