Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
It was the first 2D Metroid I played and I immediately fell in love. I went in to play all the others thanks to it.

Shame Adam didn't live up to the hype all those years later.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I'm mid way through my first playthrough of it right now and it's definitely a ton of fun, but there's been a few times when I was stuck somewhere and just had to bomb several rooms to find an opening that there weren't any visual cues for. Felt cheap.

Camille_

Oct 26, 2017
Angoulême, France
After the release of Samus Returns, I wanted to go back and play them all, and I have to say I've had some of the most fun with Fusion. It's always been one of my most liked, so nostalgia may still play a part, but I find its mixture of guided progression with more freeform exploration to be extremely compelling, because it progressively subverts and contrasts the expectations laid from the beginning of the game (the shinespark sequence to get the secret message is still pretty fantastic, even though I likely won't attempt it ever again - still have my savefile from way back when, though :-D). The atmosphere speaks to me the most out of all Metroid games (2 being the runner up, and Super after that), and the SA-X still scares me after all these years, so it must be doing something right!

On a parallel note, Iconoclasts by Konjak, supposedly releasing soon-ish, is somewhat mechanically inspired by Fusion, which makes me even more interested, if that was even possible :-D

Kusanda

Oct 25, 2017
Compared to other Metroid games it was probably my favourite first time playthrough but it's my least favourite to replay, likely due to it being much more linear.

Oct 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, Mi
I think Fusion was the first Metroid I ever played. And yeah, I love it to pieces. Most everybody else hates its hand-holdiness but I loved it because I was new to the series. Absolute beast of a game with one of the scariest of villains.

fusion05.gif

The music when Samus- X appears is the stuff!!!

Last edited:

FroMonk

Oct 25, 2017
TBQH, I didn't like Fusion that much, but SA-X was a great antagonist.
Yeah, it was the most linear up to that point and forced you into exposition sequences and I didn't like that, and I didn't like the sections where the way through was a hidden path that wasn't at all obvious, but otherwise it was a solid game.

Steve McQueen

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
Played it last year on my AGS 101. Still hasn't aged a bit. Fantastic gfx, tight controls, stellar OST...a real masterpiece.

And a soundbite that I'll probably never forget:

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
Love this game as well OP. I really loved the GBA in general, and this is one of the many reasons why.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
It's a fantastic game. I've completed it maybe more than 5 times, used to play about once a year but haven't done so in a while. Need to play it again.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
It's where Metroid went wrong imo, it's still a decent game but it started going down a path later games also traveled. I dislike the narrative, the linearity, the setting and the simplified controls. Love the graphics though and overall it's still worth playing, but I don't hold in in very high regard.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Definitely my favorite 2D game. I don't mind story and linearity in my Troids if they're handled well, and they are.

Also, that whole game's aesthetic is my jam.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Man. Underapreciated. 20 Years im hearing people say "its worse than super metroid and zero mission"... feels like metroid fans are purists that want rereleases of super metroid with a new room arangement.
Fusion looks cleaner, has a great soundtrack on par with super, has new enemy designs, new boss fights, feels fresh, a (good) samus redesign, and the movement feels Leags above, and the horror aspects are great for tension.

It is a bit linear in parts, not inovative compared to super. Zero mission didgo back to a mix between super and metroid... and while i love it, the bosses/world feelt like a retread of super.
I would like a metroid 5 that goes forward with fusions more organic design

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
One of my favorite handheld games of all time. I spent an embarrassing amount of hours getting every secret.

Wasn't fusion the one with the character portraits of Samus you could unlock? Looking back on that, its kinda creepy.
I never saw the Samus portrait unlocks as creepy on the gba games since they were simply cool illustrations of Samus without armor suit on, something you would never see during gameplay unless you count death. I still like her Fusion design the most.

iu

That said, I like this one over the others because it reminds me of the ending from Echoes, and gives us a nice look of the Fusion suit in orange:
m4_ending2.gif

If they ever do a Metroid 5 I guess this is what she would be using at first, right? Though I'm not sure if people would be fond of the Adam plot continuing.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
It's a great Metroid game!! I played it for the first time 5-6 years ago and loved it!! I has aged really well!!

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
It's where Metroid went wrong imo, it's still a decent game but it started going down a path later games also traveled. I dislike the narrative, the linearity, the setting and the simplified controls. Love the graphics though and overall it's still worth playing, but I don't hold in in very high regard.

i wouldn't say i don't hold in very high regard, because i think most of the boss fights and SA-X encounters are pretty masterfully designed, but it is the weakest of the Japanese-developed 2D Metroid games.

Well. Actually. I can say I prefer to to Metroid 2 lol

Niroloc

May 25, 2020
Its been a while since I played this (I'm pretty sure it when it was released as part of the 3ds ambassador program when I played it.) so I can't remember too much about it. I do remember really liking it though so hopefully it gets a rerelease on the switch some day.

The wild thing is, Unless i'm missing a game, There hasnt been a brand new 2d Metroid since this one. Zero mission and Samus returns were good but they were rmakes. I'd actually like a brand new game set after fusion nintendo please!

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Its been a while since I played this (I'm pretty sure it when it was released as part of the 3ds ambassador program when I played it.) so I can't remember too much about it. I do remember really liking it though so hopefully it gets a rerelease on the switch some day.

The wild thing is, Unless i'm missing a game, There hasnt been a brand new 2d Metroid since this one. Zero mission and Samus returns were good but they were rmakes. I'd actually like a brand new game set after fusion nintendo please!
Jep. We got remake, then remake after 10 years nothing.
Im kinda okay now, but those 10 years were rough as metroidvania fan.
Now we have many options, and a lack of metroid does not hurt that much

Mr. Virus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm due my annual replay of this, thanks for the reminder Era!

But yeah, in spite of people's complaints about linearity, it's probably my favourite Metroid game. Controls are snappy, the aesthetics are great, the ATMOSPHERE is incredible.

The change from "You are the baddest badass who ever kicked ass" to "lol fuck you, 2 hits and you're dead" really helped sell the game lean into the fact that Samus got horribly fucked up, and the general horror vibe. Especially off of the back of Super.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
It was my first Metroid, I prefer zero mission (and super) becuase its actually my favourite metroid, but it was an amazing game and I will forever be grateful to make me enter this franchise and turn me a fan.
I find Samus Returns and fusion excellent games.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
I recognize the hand-holdiness is an issue, but I really love the horror aspects and feeling 'powerless' even after you start reacquiring items.

Finally getting the
Cold immunity
then having all the X parasites rush into you while you climb the ladder was immensely satisfying, lol.

Really hoping we get a sequel/follow-up at some point - I liked Samus Returns remake (and AM2R), but it didn't quite hit the same highs.

Oct 30, 2017
Hell yeah OP, I played Fusion and Zero Mission back at launch and remember jack shit about either of them. I just modded a GBA SP and have those 2 games on my short list to play again. Fusion was actually my first Metroid game ever and I've grown to love the Metroidvania genre today, so revisiting those 2 will be quite a treat for me.

Whipwhopper

Oct 7, 2020
My second favorite Metroid game after Super, I loved the atmosphere. I liked Zero Mission but I've never been a fan of the stealth parts.