• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheKid

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
For some reason I could never sit and play this game because it felt so archaic but I finally decided to sit down and push through the first dungeon and holy crap it is AMAZING. I always feel like Zelda games are not at all challenging but they are like, I guess comfortable games. I can really immerse myself in the world and just kinda go about my quest in most traditional Zelda games. This game however feels exactly like BOTW. You're just thrown there and the game is like ok here you go do whatever you gotta do. Finding the first dungeon took me WAY too long and I was killing the first boss within a few minutes of going there. Also the enemies are actually a threat.
I've spent about 2 hours looking for the second dungeon now and I've ran into multiple lynels and have begun collecting items randomly. I got a torch, a power bracelet, bombs, bow and arrows, some potion and a boomerang. I'm basically finding everything but the second dungeon. I accidently went into the 6th dungeon but I couldn't kill the gleeok. Dawg, game fucking rules.

I know some of these old nes games had really weird ways of progressing but i was wondering if I should use some guide in order to find these dungeons? Or should I just keep looking around until I find it?

Oct 27, 2017
You should look up a map of the world at the very least, it came with the original NES game and its intended to be used with the game. Personnaly i used a walkthrough but if you wanna be "authentic" then using a map was the intended experience

Legend.of.zelda-map-nes-overworld.jpg

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Could never get into the first one as a kid, but played the shit out of Zelda 2. Check that out next!

Shin Kojima

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, the map was sealed with a sticker and came with a warning. So if you want to be REALLY authentic you do it completely blind.
I broke the seal and used the map though.

But like SweetBellic said play Zelda 2 next. It's fantastic.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
This game however feels exactly like BOTW. You're just thrown there and the game is like ok here you go do whatever you gotta do. Finding the first dungeon took me WAY too long and I was killing the first boss within a few minutes of going there. Also the enemies are actually a threat.
I've spent about 2 hours looking for the second dungeon now and I've ran into multiple lynels and have begun collecting items randomly. I got a torch, a power bracelet, bombs, bow and arrows, some potion and a boomerang. I'm basically finding everything but the second dungeon. I accidently went into the 6th dungeon but I couldn't kill the gleeok. Dawg, game fucking rules.
Yes, yes indeed. Legend of Zelda and Breath of the Wild very much encompass the concept of the "core" experience of Zelda.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I always feel like Zelda games are not at all challenging but they are like, I guess comfortable games.

Yeah, not in this one. Wait until you get into a room filled with blue darknuts, wizzrobes and that puffball thing that disables your sword.

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
The world is not so big that it would be unfun exploring and looking for dungeons. So don't look at the map. It's fun to find them

The first Zelda is still my favorite of the series. I love it's sense of freedom and that there's secrets to find in almost every screen.

Silverhand

Oct 26, 2023
Still Top 2 Zelda game. Just hit start and go. No weird story or cut scenes or anime tropes. Just have sword will travel.

Toupee

Feb 5, 2024
Queens NY
Zelda 1 rules. Really happy to have memories of beating it back in 6th grade in the late 90's. Tough stuff.

Zelda 2 also rules (it was my first Zelda), but is such a wildly different game. The recent fan "enhanced remake" is kinda awesome too.

May 15, 2019
Well I stand corrected then. Still not happy about it though!

You should look up a map of the world at the very least, it came with the original NES game and its intended to be used with the game. Personnaly i used a walkthrough but if you wanna be "authentic" then using a map was the intended experience

This for sure. That's all you need, and it is essential.

Did the Japanese version contain a map, or is this like Nintendo including the strategy guide with Earthbound because they thought western audiences weren't ready to play the game on their own

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
It was a lot better than I expected it to be when I first played it, but if you're looking for puzzles then this is not the game for you. The "puzzles" in this game fall into two categories: kill all the enemies in the room or push a block. LTTP really revolutionized the series.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan

This. I played this as a kid with this map because my older brother had it with the game and I just assumed it was intended.

May 15, 2019
There's a map in the OG Japanese FDS manual but it's certainly different than the one in the international version
That is a very small portion of the map, and seems like the perfect slice to lead players for the first couple of dungeons to get a sense of the general flow before cutting them loose. I did a run through of the game for the first time in like 15 years recently and had a fun time just figuring out the overworld and where to go.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
In addition to the instruction manual, I used this to beat Zelda when I was a kid, since it contained a full map of the Overworld and each dungeon. I believe the only way to get this was to subscribe to Nintendo Power. I really wish I didn't get rid of this...

GUIDE_NES_GAME_ATLAS_NP.jpg

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
Had a very similar experience with the game a few years back and even made a LTTP as well lol. The game is outstanding.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
It's really good.

I always got the impression that you were supposed to draw or sketch your own map. When I did it on Switch I just made a crude map with lines linking pathways together and denoting the one-way zones (if I remember that correctly).

I don't mind wandering and hunting for dungeons, except for the total bullshit level 8 dungeon.

But also now that I Google it this was one of the handful of hints the manual gives you along with a map(?).

I've never played a copy of the game with the manual in hand...but this was the only actual bump that truly truly high-centered me in an otherwise pretty smooth-yet-challenging experience.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
That is a very small portion of the map, and seems like the perfect slice to lead players for the first couple of dungeons to get a sense of the general flow before cutting them loose. I did a run through of the game for the first time in like 15 years recently and had a fun time just figuring out the overworld and where to go.
It's certainly a fantastic game even without maps (on my side, Nintendo was giving small dedicated magazines that basically had the map found in the US manual to give a taste to a player among other things).
I can tell that going at it with no direction is an experience worth having but you can't go in expecting something like Link's Awakening or anything younger than Alttp.
Game is obtuse and revel in it.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
You don't need a map. Get a piece of paper and make your own map. Game's not that big.
Anyway, this game is like the definition of "ahead of its time". Like it has qualities that are sought after even today. It's not just nostalgia, it's genuinely a fantastic game.

Dreavus

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018
For some reason I could never sit and play this game because it felt so archaic but I finally decided to sit down and push through the first dungeon and holy crap it is AMAZING. I always feel like Zelda games are not at all challenging but they are like, I guess comfortable games. I can really immerse myself in the world and just kinda go about my quest in most traditional Zelda games. This game however feels exactly like BOTW. You're just thrown there and the game is like ok here you go do whatever you gotta do. Finding the first dungeon took me WAY too long and I was killing the first boss within a few minutes of going there. Also the enemies are actually a threat.

I know some of these old nes games had really weird ways of progressing but i was wondering if I should use some guide in order to find these dungeons? Or should I just keep looking around until I find it?

Approaching the game with a BOTW mindset is exactly what I did on my replay and it is SO damn good. Giving yourself time to feel things out and explore is just such a cool experience. While the game doesn't have the modern "bread crumbs" to guide you places, I still felt like I appreciated the design a lot more with this approach. The only thing that maybe holds it back is some of the truly random-feeling secret bomb doors and some of those townspeople clues are tough to figure out. I was running on my old knowledge of playing the game years and years ago (but never beating it) to help me along too.

I wouldn't feel bad about using the map (or partial map like it used to come with). I really tried to stay away from hints but I think I looked up that original map and/or a dungeon location or two on my play through.

Coincidentally, all my time playing hyrule warriors pixel map mode allowed me to pick up on some of the more obscure candle spots lol.

But yeah this game is amazing, even revisiting it, it feels ahead of it's time.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
You should look up a map of the world at the very least, it came with the original NES game and its intended to be used with the game.

I don't think the original Japanese release included it, but it is certainly helpful if you don't want to spend countless hours poking at random stuff.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Did the Japanese version contain a map, or is this like Nintendo including the strategy guide with Earthbound because they thought western audiences weren't ready to play the game on their own

I don't think the original Japanese release included it, but it is certainly helpful if you don't want to spend countless hours poking at random stuff.
Honestly if you wanna bring that up then youd also have to say that if you really wanna get that "pure" for the zelda 1 experience, then you would also need to get a famicom, learn japanese and play a Japanese copy instead. I think using the American manual provided is okay lol.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
You can find most things without a map, but if you want to collect everything (and even get to some of the later dungeons), I don't know how you'd do so without a map

May 15, 2019
Honestly if you wanna bring that up then youd also have to say that if you really wanna get that "pure" for the zelda 1 experience, then you would also need to get a famicom, learn japanese and play a Japanese copy instead. I think using the American manual provided is okay lol.
There's a difference between text being translated in a game and the actual difficulty/hint balance being changed. Nothing about the actual act of playing Zelda 1 on the NES is different from the Famicom outside of the audio hardware differences and the lack of a microphone, but having 90% of the map laid out for you is a world of difference from being expected to explore it yourself.

OP
OP
TheKid

TheKid

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
Damn thanks for providing that map, that is gonna be super helpful. Can't get over how many times I've owned this game and I s never bothered playing it lmao crazy.

Edit: that map said there's an underworld?!

Oct 27, 2017
There's a difference between text being translated in a game and the actual difficulty/hint balance being changed. Nothing about the actual act of playing Zelda 1 on the NES is different from the Famicom outside of the audio hardware differences and the lack of a microphone, but having 90% of the map laid out for you is a world of difference from being expected to explore it yourself.
Imo you still have to discover secrets like hidden caves and bushes in order to progress and talk to strangers to know what to do in dungeons etc etc. I really dont think it takes away from the feeling of exploration or its the "wrong way to play" having some sort of guidance.🤷

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Yep, Zelda I is still great. I've been a fan of the series for ages, but it wasn't until many years later that I finally sat down and cleared the first game. It still holds up.

May 15, 2019
Imo you still have to discover secrets like hidden caves and bushes in order to progress and talk to strangers to know what to do in dungeons etc etc. I really dont think it takes away from the feeling of exploration or its the "wrong way to play" having some sort of guidance.🤷
Using a map is fine if you decide you don't want to play without one, I just think immediately saying "oh just use the map because Nintendo of America decided Americans needed the extra help" before someone's actually expressed their frustration is weird. OP was excited about having to try to find the dungeons himself and the first reply was "Here's what 80% of the game world looks like."

Oct 27, 2017
Using a map is fine if you decide you don't want to play without one, I just think immediately saying "oh just use the map because Nintendo of America decided Americans needed the extra help" before someone's actually expressed their frustration is weird. OP was excited about having to try to find the dungeons himself and the first reply was "Here's what 80% of the game world looks like."
The OP asked if he should use some guide cuz and i just gave him a resource if he wanted to use it sheesh. Sorry that i ruined the sanctity of a 1985 game by making a suggestion despite ,most people in the west using said map and they were fine. I didnt even know about the differences between the NOA or the japan manuals but im the wierd one i guess. This is why i cant stand zelda threads on here

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Hold on, Zelda games are not challenging? I've only played the first three and could never beat them. (I got close in each of them.) Tell me the newer ones are easier in comparison to the originals, or if I'm just bad at Zelda games.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Hold on, Zelda games are not challenging? I've only played the first three and could never beat them. (I got close in each of them.) Tell me the newer ones are easier in comparison to the originals, or if I'm just bad at Zelda games.
The 3D games are considerably easier. The first two are much harder than most of the series.

BotW was noted at release for being considerably harder than the other 3D titles, as you can actually die frequently in it.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
The 3D games are considerably easier. The first two are much harder than most of the series.

BotW was noted at release for being considerably harder than the other 3D titles, as you can actually die frequently in it.

So they got easier starting with N64?

I "flipped" Zelda 1 and remember the remix dungeons being brutal.

I got the last castle in Zelda 2. And just walking there drained most of my resources. Leading to a quick game over.

As for Link to the Past, I just remember it getting very hard on the mountain in the mirror world.

Yeah the first three are tough!

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

The first game is a fair challenge and then you beat the game and discover there's a remixed hard mode that is noticeably harder.

The second game has a reputation for being "NES Hard."

Link to the Past is noticeably easier than the first two games, but I wouldn't call it easy.

I think Link's Awakening is probably a bit on the easy side.

Ocarina of Time has clunky action gameplay that isn't particularly hard, but mostly it's really easy to get lost or stuck and not know what to do next.

Majora's Mask is well known for being harder than Ocarina.

Wind Waker / Twilight Princess / Skyward Sword - I don't think any of these are especially hard or easy.

Breath of the Wild & Tears of the Kingdom are mostly just really long, endurance tests. They're hard if you try to do stuff out of order.

Last edited:

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
The first game is a fair challenge and then you beat the game and discover there's a remixed hard mode that is noticeably harder.

The second game has a reputation for being "NES Hard."

Link to the Past is noticeably easier than the first two games, but I wouldn't call it easy.

I think Link's Awakening is probably a bit on the easy side.

Ocarina of Time has clunky action gameplay, but mostly it's really easy to get lost or stuck and not know what to do next.

Majora's Mask is well known for being harder than Ocarina.

Wind Waker / Twilight Princess / Skyward Sword - I don't think any of these are especially hard or easy.

Breath of the Wild & Tears of the Kingdom are mostly just really long, endurance tests. They're hard if you try to do stuff out of order.

When you put it that way I guess I did beat part 1. As a kid I didn't consider it beaten until the remixed dungeons are completed too. 🤔

I beat the main game by using a friend's literally hand drawn dungeon maps. I doubt I could have done it without. Sharing game tips pre-internet sure was something special. 😆

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
This game however feels exactly like BOTW. You're just thrown there and the game is like ok here you go do whatever you gotta do.

Yea, that's exactly why I love botw. You just explore in whatever direction you want and eventually, you stumble into cool shit. It's great. You can tell they were looking to Zelda 1 for inspiration. Even now I think Zelda 1 is my favorite 2D Zelda.

JorSneezy

Oct 17, 2019
Play this game once every year. Can knock it out in an afternoon, but I'm also middle-aged and played it as a pre-teen, so everything is memorized. Love this fucking game.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Still one of my favorites in the series and of all time. I've loved most Zelda games, but there's only one I'll pick up and play on a whim.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I've been replaying this for the 3534536th time recently as well on the Anniversary Game & Watch portable (which is the best and most definitive way to keep Zelda 1, 2, and Link's Awakening by your bedside at all times!). I finished the first quest pretty quickly and I'm making my way slowly through the second quest now. The second quest in the original Zelda is a real trip. So much harder. The OG Souls.

4CornersTHSA

Jun 13, 2019
One of the absolute GOATs. BOTW channeled so much of its energy and deservedly sold better than any previous entry. I still go back to OG Zelda1 and it holds up brilliantly.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Yea, that's exactly why I love botw. You just explore in whatever direction you want and eventually, you stumble into cool shit. It's great. You can tell they were looking to Zelda 1 for inspiration. Even now I think Zelda 1 is my favorite 2D Zelda.

They definitely did use the first game as inspiration for Breath of the Wild.

www.youtube.com

Official Prototype for Zelda: Breath of the Wild Was Based on NES Zelda

Nintendo held a panel at the Game Developer's Conference 2017 to talk more about what went into creating The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. There they ...