• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
So, my history with the 3DS is that I had at least 3 units since 2012. I usually bought one for a couple of games and then would sell it for practically the same price. I know this is a bizarre concept for a lot of people here, but keep in mind there are different cultures and financial circumstances all over the world.

Anyway, last one I had was probably back in 2015. I never really loved the 3DS as much as I loved the DS, PSP and even the Vita, so I never followed the releases all the much. For some reason I thought there wasn't a lot of notable games that I had not already played.

Long story short, I decided to buy a 3DS XL a couple of months ago (mainly to play Metroid and Fire Emblem), and boy was I wrong. This thing has a looooot of great games I missed out. In fact, I was so happy with my purchase (even already owning a Switch) that I decided to sell that 3DS XL and buy a New 3DS XL. Here's a few of my impressions after playing with it for a few days:

1) The improved 3D is a game changer. I never used the 3D much before because the effect just kept breaking, it felt really messy and unwieldy. Now I'm actually playing games in 3D and it feels great. Well, at least in some of them, like Kirby Robobot (more on that later).

2) I can't believe on how many games I have missed on. Not to mention the retro possibilities with emulators. This thing is going to get a lot of use.

3) Didn't love the small nub. It works I guess, but it doesn't fell great to use. Also, still hate the shoulder buttons. I don't get why Nintendo always go with this clicky, tiny little buttons with 0 give instead of chunky and satisfying to press like PSP and Vita. Same problem with Switch, but even worse on the 3DS.

4) Monster Hunter 4U actually looks somewhat decent now? I can't really point my finger on exactly what improved, but the game sure does looks better than before. Feels a little smoother too. 3U still looks better, tho!

5) Xenoblade Chronicles portable, yay! Looks a bit shitty compared to Wii version, but hey, it's still Xenoblade!

6) After disliking Kirby Planet Robobot I decided to try again. I already have the game, so why not? This game, the game is really clicking with me. I still don't think the game doesn't do platforming or combat particularly well, but for some reason I keep playing it. It's charming, controls well, has some fun ideas and it looks gorgeous. Like, really, surprisingly gorgeous. 3D is amazing too. I honestly think it's one of the best looking 3DS games.

Anyway, that's about it! Excited with my New 3DS.

Oh, and as someone totally new to the Kirby series, what are the most notable games?

(downloading the Kirby Star Allies as I type this)

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
6) After disliking Kirby Planet Robobot I decided to try again. I already have the game, so why not? This game, the game is really clicking with me. I still don't think the game doesn't do platforming or combat particularly well, but for some reason I keep playing it. It's charming, controls well, has some fun ideas and it looks gorgeous. Like, really, surprisingly gorgeous. 3D is amazing too. I honestly think it's one of the best looking 3DS games.

It has a lot of foreground and background elements, and everything moves for a reason (like enemies carrying spikes and trying to hit you), I felt it was heavily inspired by Retro's Donkey Kong Country games, and it is one of the best looking games on the system overall. anyway, make sure to play Fire Emblem Echoes and Metroid: Samus Returns!

OP
OP
HeRinger

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
It has a lot of foreground and background elements, and everything moves for a reason (like enemies carrying spikes and trying to hit you), I felt it was heavily inspired by Retro's Donkey Kong Country games, and it is one of the best looking games on the system overall. anyway, make sure to play Fire Emblem Echoes and Metroid: Samus Returns!
Definitely! I'm already playing Samus Returns too. Game also looks great in 3D. I think 2D games generally are better in 3D than actual 3D games.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Not liking Robobot is not having a soul, so glad you finally grew one (jk :P) Best Kirby game in years, IMO; it's like Triple Deluxe but with a waaay better gimmick. Definitely Kirby's platforming at its best with some of the best puzzles in the series for the robot parts.

I'm kinda bummed we didn't get Robobot 2 on the Switch rather than Star Allies, but as a huge fan of Kirby I'm willing to give it a chance. As for best Kirby games: Kirby Superstar is great, so be sure to check that one out, the Ultra version on DS is even better. I'm also really fond of some of the spinoffs. Tilt 'n Tumble, Canvas Curse, etc. Triple Deluxe is very similar to Robobot, except without the robot, which is kind of a bummer.

Be sure to play Super Mario 3D Land, Animal Crossing New Leaf, Zelda: ALBW, the Majora's Mask remake, the Ace Attorney games (play the DS games first if you haven't though) and the Shin Megami Tensei (IV and Apocalypse), would be my main recommendations if you haven't played any of them. Also, I'm very fond of Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, but I realize it's not as universally loved.

Lorcain

Oct 27, 2017
There's a great library there waiting to be played. I was late to the 3DS family and couldn't believe how many good games there were. Without realizing I was using it so much, it became my most played system for a few years as I played through the Fire Emblem series, Monster Hunter 4U, Bravely Default 1&2, Stella Glow, all of the recent Pokemon games, a lot of the quality Atlas games, Ace Attorney series and Xenoblade Chronicles.

And the good games keep coming. Here's what I'm currently playing: Radiant Historia, Monster Hunter Stories, Dragon Quest 8 and Etrian Odyssey 5.

HotEars

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
If you're up for it, swap the c-stick with a super low profile Thinkpad nub, thank me later. The Thinkpad nub has the same profile as the c-stick and is a great improvement. It's even better than the PSP stick mod.

OP
OP
HeRinger

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
If you're up for it, swap the c-stick with a super low profile Thinkpad nub, thank me later. The Thinkpad nub has the same profile as the c-stick and is a great improvement. It's even better than the PSP stick mod.
Hmm, I thought about a PSP nub. Is the Thinkpad one much better? Also, how hard to mod is it?

Last edited:

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Don't miss out on Team Kirby Clash Deluxe. It's F2P but it's a good game if you can tolerate the timers and resource management.

HotEars

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Hmm, I thought about a PSP nub. Is the Thinkpad one much better? Also, how hard to mod is it?
Yes it's much better than the PSP stick IMO. The Thinkpad nub has pretty much identical dimensions to the c-stick so it's a perfect fit. Not only that, but the rubber on the Thinkpad nub has texture on it that makes it easier to use compared to the rubber on the c-stick that's not textured and only flat and slippery.

Speaking of the PSP nub, it's actually larger than the c-stick and the Thinkpad nub and because of this, you can accidentally hit it when pressing the face buttons. Not only that, but the PSP nub is just hard plastic and it doesn't feel good to use.

The PSP nub mod on the c-stick is the more popular choice, but that's only because people think that it's the only option, when it isn't. The Thinkpad nub is superior to the c-stick and PSP nub in every way.

The mod is really easy to do. You can either rip the c-stick off and place the Thinkpad nub right into the slot, or you can do the job the right way and simply remove a few screws from the back panel of your 3DS, remove the PCB holding the face buttons and c-stick, then take off the c-stick from there. This might seem difficult, but it's really easy to do. All you need is patience.

OP
OP
HeRinger

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Yes it's much better than the PSP stick IMO. The Thinkpad nub has pretty much identical dimensions to the c-stick so it's a perfect fit. Not only that, but the rubber on the Thinkpad nub has texture on it that makes it easier to use compared to the rubber on the c-stick that's not textured and only flat and slippery.

Speaking of the PSP nub, it's actually larger than the c-stick and the Thinkpad nub and because of this, you can accidentally hit it when pressing the face buttons. Not only that, but the PSP nub is just hard plastic and it doesn't feel good to use.

The PSP nub mod on the c-stick is the more popular choice, but that's only because people think that it's the only option, when it isn't. The Thinkpad nub is superior to the c-stick and PSP nub in every way.

The mod is really easy to do. You can either rip the c-stick off and place the Thinkpad nub right into the slot, or you can do the job the right way and simply remove a few screws from the back panel of your 3DS, remove the PCB holding the face buttons and c-stick, then take off the c-stick from there. This might seem difficult, but it's really easy to do. All you need is patience.
And it fits perfectly into the slot? Nice and firm? Also, the Thinkpad cap looks very long, doesn't it touch the top screen when closed?

I would rather not mess with internals, so I might just rip the thing off. Is it reversible this way?

HotEars

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Also, the Thinkpad cap looks very long, doesn't it touch the top screen when closed?
Super low profile Thinkpad nub.

do you have a picture of this being done to yours?
IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
On balance I think I preferred triple deluxe to Robobot. The game just felt more fleshed out and complete to me whereas Robobot felt a bit by the numbers.

Leon123

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Apologies for bumping an old thread but I just swapped the c-stick on my New 3DSXL for the ultra low profile Lenovo ThinkPad nub and can confirm that it works so much better than the Nintendo one.
The red Lenovo nub just fits perfectly and it was really easy to remove the Nintendo c-stick rubber.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Apologies for bumping an old thread but I just swapped the c-stick on my New 3DSXL for the ultra low profile Lenovo ThinkPad nub and can confirm that it works so much better than the Nintendo one.
The red Lenovo nub just fits perfectly and it was really easy to remove the Nintendo c-stick rubber.
Weird bump, but this is useful advice, thanks.

OP, you're not at the party until you get Kid Icarus Uprsing

YUdMZsj.jpg

YUdMZsj.jpg

YUdMZsj.jpg

YUdMZsj.jpg

Fix that