Oct 25, 2017
I came back to the game after a very long period of time not touching it and have been playing the last 2 chapters for a week now.

Arthur just died and the epilogue started.
I... don't know what to say really. I spent so many hours looking at the character that at the end I just couldn't hold it and cried like a fucking baby when he died, staring at the sunrise.
Arthur was so well characterized and so well written that I almost felt like I watched a real person die.
Jesus, Rockstar, just wow. I'm probably gonna hold off doing the epilogue for a few more days but this was (mostly) amazing and I regret not playing through it back when it came out. Wasn't the biggest fan of the first game even back in the day but this is a massive improvement in almost every way.

p.s. and hire some better mission designers next time pls

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing everything Red Dead Redemption II built to, having questions that I had answered, watching everything fall apart and yet hopeful, seeing Arthur attempt to do something in his limited time was just amazing.

I see a lot of people prefer the epilogue but in a sense I wish RDR2 was free of RDR1 because RDR1 is a more cynical game. It makes me a bit sad to know that everything Arthur did for John, John in turn wasted and squandered.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Legit made me tear up when John told him "You're my brother, Arthur". Also when my horse died, that was hard. Rode the same horse for nearly the whole game.
I made a thread just recently bemoaning the monstrous length of the game upon entering Guarma. I'm really glad I pushed through. I didn't play much of the epilogue though

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I still wish the credits rolled after Arthur died. I didn't hate the epilogue, but I could have lived without it.

OP
OP
KraftyKrankins
Oct 25, 2017
Which ending did you go for? Seeing Arthur just kind of stop was brutal.
Are you referring to the choice between helping John and going for the money? I helped John, felt more true to Arthur's character.
I still wish the credits rolled after Arthur died. I didn't hate the epilogue, but I could have lived without it.
Same, the game definitely needs to give the player a moment to take it all in.

Xalbur

Mar 30, 2019
I also beat it very recently and feel the same, Such a well executed story and character.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hate how sluggish the gamemplays but arthur is an incredible character. So sad how it ended for him.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Legit made me tear up when John told him "You're my brother, Arthur". Also when my horse died, that was hard. Rode the same horse for nearly the whole game.
I made a thread just recently bemoaning the monstrous length of the game upon entering Guarma. I'm really glad I pushed through. I didn't play much of the epilogue though
yeah guarma was unneeded imho. Didnt add anything to the story. Same with the epilogue. Wont complain about more game obviously

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Are you referring to the choice between helping John and going for the money? I helped John, felt more true to Arthur's character.

That's part of it. But the ending changes pretty markedly depending on what level karma Arthur is at when you enter the final mission. Did Micah kill Arthur himself or did Arthur go peacefully after Dutch showed up?

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The cutscenes in that game were so beautiful. The short story ones were quick and concise but tightly written to be amusing and just the right amount of poignant at times.

But that ending and the whole sequence was so bittersweet and beautiful.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Such a damn amazing story, especially the investment you make along the way like you said. So good. One of the games of the gen for sure.

Deleted member 35618

Dec 7, 2017
This scene is one of the all-time greats, IMO.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Very emotional and the cinematography was, as always, on point. The music also fits so damn well. And knowing how the epilogues ends and that John at the end of it acts the way Arthur wanted to prevent and led to everything that happened in RDR1 is a fucking tragedy. And then you have John's son at the end of RDR1... it just goes on and on and on.

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
I was an absolute mess from the point where Arthur's last ride (and that song..) started and by the end I was damn near inconsolable. Everything leading up to and including his last few minutes was just perfectly handled.

Oct 27, 2017
I have a lot of negative things to say about the gameplay and mission design but story wise? Rockstar nailed it.

Arthur is the best protagonist they ever made hands down.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda wish the game ended here.

The John bits didn't really add anything for me, and kinda dragged.

OP
OP
KraftyKrankins
Oct 25, 2017
That's part of it. But the ending changes pretty markedly depending on what level karma Arthur is at when you enter the final mission. Did Micah kill Arthur himself or did Arthur go peacefully after Dutch showed up?
Huh, interesting. For me I played Arthur as a good guy and he died peacefully at the end. Is the ending still mostly the same if the other thing happens?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The latter for me. It was fucking beautiful and sad.

Yup. It's a great ending for a character I started the game legitimately loathing. Arthur really turned himself around for me as the story went on.

Huh, interesting. For me I played Arthur as a good guy and he died peacefully at the end. Is the ending still mostly the same if the other thing happens?

The low karma ending is much, much, much darker and more depressing. It's even worse if you go back for the money on low karma.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I beat all of it with good karma. It was sad as hell but I loved every minute of it. I miss Arthur.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
ive been meaning to replay this - hoping for a next gen patch of some sort so i have a big reason

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

One of my favorite characters in all of gaming. Hit me hard when he died at the end and it was tough to play as John in the epilogue when I just wanted to play as Arthur more. Still, gotta respect the journey and it was an amazing story from start to finish.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

One of my favorite characters in all of gaming. Hit me hard when he died at the end and it was tough to play as John in the epilogue when I just wanted to play as Arthur more. Still, gotta respect the journey and it was an amazing story from start to finish.

Did you ever see any of the bits where John would finish pieces of Arthur's diary for him, or pick up sidequests Arthur started before he died? The journal is haunting in the post-game.

I still tear up at the "I am afraid". JFC, it hits me like a train

Roger Clark made something magical out of that character. I have a ton of respect for that guy. He had to know how hard it would be to live up to Marston, and he exceeded John in the end.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Im sad Arthur was a one game character. I wasn't ready to say goodbye.

I liked the epilogue. Such a great way to just chill out after the main ending and the songs in the epilogue are some of the best

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Arthur outcome was clear to me when the game was announced, but what really matter was how they delivery and oh boy it was great, too bad the game has a lot of problems.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
For me it was watching Arthur slowly wither away during his last act. Just looking frail, coughing all the time, not gaining weight no matter how much food you made him eat. If you've ever lost a loved one to cancer or some other awful disease, it's kind of similar just watching this person you know slowly fade away.

As hokey as it sounds, I didn't want Arthur to go. John's epilogue was also incredibly haunting given what happens in RDR 1.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Man, what a game. Arthur is the soul of this game and is the reason this game might just be my GOTG. I never really pegged Rockstar as a storytelling powerhouse but damn, RDR2 proves it's peerless when it comes to creating real, memorable, human characters.

This is all making me want to jump back in to the game. May fire it up later tonight.

wastingmyyouth

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 10, 2020
Arthur's death still hangs over me to this day, unlike any video game narrative has before.

Hope you enjoy the epilogue!

OP
OP
KraftyKrankins
Oct 25, 2017
For me it was watching Arthur slowly wither away during his last act. Just looking frail, coughing all the time, not gaining weight no matter how much food you made him eat. If you've ever lost a loved one to cancer or some other awful disease, it's kind of similar just watching this person you know slowly fade away.

As hokey as it sounds, I didn't want Arthur to go. John's epilogue was also incredibly haunting given what happens in RDR 1.
Actually, this is something I though about putting in the OP but decided against it.

The first time I put off the game for a bit was when Arthur started falling apart and then got diagnosed at the doctor in Saint Denis.

I lost my grandmother to pancreatic cancer a few years ago and Arthur's slow decay reminded me of it. Felt too close to the heart.

Oddhouse

Oct 31, 2017
best video game ever played for me. I think the story is so much more sophisticated than God Of War 2018. I still think this should have more game awards 2018.

TK-421

Nov 30, 2017
Death Star
I kinda wish the game ended here.

The John bits didn't really add anything for me, and kinda dragged.

Coming from RDR1 where I didn't like how I got switched to Jack Marston at the end, I felt the opposite here.

I loved the ability to be John Marston without the weight of the world on his shoulders that he has in RDR1. Was fun to just explore the maps, hunt, do whatever without having to worry.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
oh arthur...

yeah, that ending hit me hard. truly earned and simply beautiful. especially since i pretty much maxed out his virtuous side, so it all hit perfectly. really justified the redemption part of it all. also made the epilogue even better too.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
i hate this game in ways and love it in others

but yea arthur is awesome, easily rockstars best protagonist

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
Took me about a month to play the Epilogue after finishing the main story because I missed Arthur so much. It just felt wrong to continue without him.

While it was pretty obvious Arthur was going to be erased, it hit harder than I expected.

I'm currently cruising around going for 100% now but John is so flippant when doing so much as greeting people that it's killing me. Really not a fan of his character in this one.

e: that said, there's a moment involving a house in the epilogue that was one of the games best moments.