Oct 27, 2017
10ish hours maybe? It's long, but absolutely worth it in the end.

I hope they actually let this franchise, or at least the Dutch saga, rest. I didn't think they could do a worthy follow up after RDR1 and then RDR2 came out, but now with Dan having left and Rockstar becoming greedy online fucks, I have my doubts. Shame, truly.
What they should do is go back to Red Harlow in Red Dead Revolver

There are tons of potential there. Red even has a native american mother so he is tied to the Red Wolf Tribe and that would be really awesome if they expand on it. Heck the whole cast of the game are awesome so it could be cool to have a sequel or heck a remake sequel about them.

If that were to happen though I would like a return to the more arcade combat and style mixed with the immersive open world.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly didn't mind that the game went straight to the epilogue without any real pause.
I still remember the huge amount of 'generic white guy protagonist' from people on GAF when the first screenshots were revealed lmao.

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK

I can't even listen to this song without seeing the whole end Arthur's life in my head and the slow wheezing then him stopping breathing

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I remember when I first started playing it I was like "Ugh, can I not just play as John as the series is never gonna get a better character?" by the end I was like "Noo, I don't want to play as John let me just go back in as Arthur!"

Brauni

Dec 4, 2017
RDR2 bettered my outlook on life, with its cheesy, boring, drawn out ending.

Life is harrowing, and what a fucking piece of shit Arthurs life in particular was. Losing both of his parents, and seeing his surrogate father slowly lose his mind. Getting fucking tuberculosis, and coping with constant fear of all the ways he or his friends could die a disgraceful, pointless death. Spending most of your last days regretting huge chunks of your garbage life, while being able to observe your own body just falling apart. Lets take a moment, to let this sink in, and recognize that this is just to much to handle, even for a big stupid brute.
(Insert Arthurs: "I´m afraid")

But here comes the beauty of the last chapter and the epilogue:
Making me watch John milking cows, ramble in front of his son, and teaching him how to fish and other boring shit, while knowing full well, that John will die a miserable death in a few years as well, confused me at first.
Should I feel happy for them? Is this epilogue supposed to make me feel good? Arthur is dead, and John will be as well. What the fuck was the point of this long ass game?

But then it hit me, really hard.
These boring years are the point. This is what Arthur could achieve for John and his family.
Arthurs life ended after he brought forward a enormous amount of emotional strength in his last days. This is superhero-levels of strength, but not in a physical sense. What he had to face, the uncertainty, the betrayal, the pain, he still believed that his actions may have worth.
And all this shit, it wasn´t for naught, because Jack could have his father for a few more years. This is the worth, this is what Arthur wanted for John and his family.
That Arthur had to die this way, is horrible. That John will die too early as well, is horrible.
But these things can´t take away the good years.
It can have worth to power through horrible, painful times.
So, yeah, very good, inspiring boring epilogue, imo.

Last edited:

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
I feel like the ending has a lot what the kids call ludonarrative dissonance. Its impact kind of hinges on to what degree you consider the core gameplay "canon" to the story. If it's all canon, I don't really have any sympathy for Arthur and the only thing he deserves is for someone to piss on his grave. He was a completely depraved mass murderer, basically an ISIS terrorist in the Wild West. But because it's a videogame, we usually don't consider the deaths that occur during gameplay meaningful, like in Uncharted. In Uncharted however, you kill mostly in self-defence, and near the end you have to stop the villain from world domination at any cost, so it's justified. In RDR2, you murder like 50 cops because you want to rob a bank. Or you slaughter half the town of Valentine while busting Micah from jail, who turns out to be a total piece of shit.

I was impacted by it at the time though, this is just something I've come to think afterwards.

Last edited:

deadlygantz

Oct 15, 2019
The game does start slow which can be let off for many. However after a couple of chapters, things do become interesting and one can't stop playing it.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Man that time he stops in the middle of the fight for his horse was something else. I had that horse for most of the game.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
Arthur's story really got me, wonderfully written and portrayed by Roger Clark. The way he'd say "I understand" to characters was always very endearing to me, he didn't always have to come back with a solution or retort to people, just acknowledge that they're feeling what they're feeling. Made me smile when Charles says the same thing to John after they reunite in the epilogue.

Although speaking of the epilogue, I did feel it was drawn out longer than necessary. I'm sure the hollow feeling it carries from the absence of Arthur was intentional to a certain extent, but man, it feels like the game's heart and soul is missing when he's not around. Ultimately, I think it's fine that the epilogue is present, I only wish they didn't dive straight into it following Arthur's death. Even just a partial scroll of credits would have gone a long way in letting players take a moment to process the finale.

AM_LIGHT

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Arthur Morgan's death is the saddest thing i have ever experienced in gaming. His struggle with TB in the last chapters was especially heart breaking . The only thing that makes it better is how excellent and heart warming the epilogue is.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
RDR2 bettered my outlook on life, with its cheesy, boring, drawn out ending.

Life is harrowing, and what a fucking piece of shit Arthurs life in particular was. Losing both of his parents, and seeing his surrogate father slowly lose his mind. Getting fucking tuberculosis, and coping with constant fear of all the ways he or his friends could die a disgraceful, pointless death. Spending most of your last days regretting huge chunks of your garbage life, while being able to observe your own body just falling apart. Lets take a moment, to let this sink in, and recognize that this is just to much to handle, even for a big stupid brute.
(Insert Arthurs: "I´m afraid")

But here comes the beauty of the last chapter and the epilogue:
Making me watch John milking cows, ramble in front of his son, and teaching him how to fish and other boring shit, while knowing full well, that John will die a miserable death in a few years as well, confused me at first.
Should I feel happy for them? Is this epilogue supposed to make me feel good? Arthur is dead, and John will be as well. What the fuck was the point of this long ass game?

But then it hit me, really hard.
These boring years are the point. This is what Arthur could achieve for John and his family.
Arthurs life ended after he brought forward a enormous amount of emotional strength in his last days. This is superhero-levels of strength, but not in a physical sense. What he had to face, the uncertainty, the betrayal, the pain, he still believed that his actions may have worth.
And all this shit, it wasn´t for naught, because Jack could have his father for a few more years. This is the worth, this is what Arthur wanted for John and his family.
That Arthur had to die this way, is horrible. That John will die too early as well, is horrible.
But these things can´t take away the good years.
It can have worth to power through horrible, painful times.
So, yeah, very good, inspiring boring epilogue, imo.
I whole-heartedly agree with you. For many players, the epilogue is too boring and a bit slow. But for Arthur and John, it's perfect.