SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
So, I loved Red Dead Redemption 2 and thought Arthur was one of the best protagonists in a game I'd ever seen. Going in, I knew nothing about the series. The only thing I knew was the major twist at the end of RDR1, and that was from cultural osmosis (around the time RDR came out is was hard to avoid discourse about the game). I didn't know anything about the Van Der Linde gang, John Marston, Arthur Morgan, or the fate of any of the characters. I also didn't know RDR2 was a prequel.

maxresdefault.jpg

When I learned RDR took place after RDR2, I was psyched. I basically had a sequel to play!!

Until now, though, I couldn't. All I had was a PS4 and a Switch, and once I finally got my hands on a Series S, it was still super expensive on the store. So I held off.

Now, 3 years later (almost the exact amount of time that passes between RDR2's epilogue and RDR) I am finally playing the game. I am not that far yet. I am still hunting down Bill and doing random shit around Armadillo.

Some notes:

John.jpg

-John is a very different protagonist from Arthur. I of course knew this from RDR2's epilogue, but there is so much more to it here. RDR2's epilogue was basically John finishing off Arthur's story, fulfilling what Arthur wanted him to do and start his own life. RDR is its own thing entirely. This is John's story. John being forcibly tied to the government completely changes the dynamic he has with the characters in the game. There is no gang or campfire. He feels like a lone wolf. Not to mention his completely different personality - he seems more "heroic" than Arthur, with much less moral ambiguity besides his darker past.

rdrdesert-noscale.jpg

-The mood is more melancholic than RDR2. RDR2 has you performing heists and running with a gang from the get go. RDR1 has you alone and on the government's leash. The surrounding area is desolate and dreary. Even the music is lonelier. The whole "death of the old west" feeling that was creeping underneath RDR2 is on full display here. The people, including John, are having trouble adjusting to the turn of the century, and nobody is really comfortable with it.

latest

-The side characters, aside from major ones like the marshall and Bonnie, are much cartoonier than RDR2. They feel like they were ripped straight out of a GTA game and given an old west skin. Seth, West Dickens, and Irish - the three I've encountered so far - all fit this bill. And John helps them simply because he has to for the sake of the story, even the creepy grave robbing psycho. This feels like a relic of a bygone era of gaming, when games felt much more... "game-y."

red-dead-redemption-screenshot

-Outfits have to be unlocked. Not sure how I feel about this as one of the things I loved about RDR2 was the customization. It is fun trying to search for all the scraps, but I suppose I will have to settle for a much less fashion-conscious main character this time around. Rocking the Duster outfit right now and loving it, though.

Since I am so early in, I am excited to see more of the game. What happened to Dutch? Javier? Bill seems like he lost weight and is doing much better for himself, aside from turning much more evil, that is. I can't wait to conclude this story that Arthur Morgan started.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
I personally dig the lone wolf story of RDR more than RDR2's, but that's just me. Also, I didn't finish RDR2 since I got bored with it so...

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
I'm thinking on buying it and GTA IV again. I believe GTA IV runs at 60fps on backwards compatibility, right?

Oct 27, 2017
What happened to Dutch? Javier?
You will be pleased about Dutch, but just so you know not to get your hopes up too high, Javier is basically a different person in RDR2. Don't expect to find the compelling, sensitive character you're familiar with. They rewrote/developed the hell out of him (for the better).

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017
You will be pleased about Dutch, but just so you know not to get your hopes up too high, Javier is basically a different person in RDR2. Don't expect to find the compelling, sensitive character you're familiar with.
Playing the RDR franchise in chronological order rather than release order sounds pretty interesting. I'm curious what retcons or inconsistencies the OP will find.

Oct 27, 2017
I liked the vibe of this one way more when it comes to exploration. I could just let loose and go where I wanted without thinking about the camp or what they were doing. It worked for Redemption 2 because it was trying to make a gang story but I didn't explore as much there.

Though maybe the gameplay itself is the reason. This game is way more fun to mess around in and get into shootouts. Also hunting in this one is way better because you didn't have to carry animals to sell.

ShimmyShakes

Nov 1, 2017
I played a bit of this on PS3 back in the day, and while I enjoyed it the performance felt so janky I dropped it. Looks like it performs at a locked 30fps on Xbox Series X|S now, and it's currently on sale along with GTAIV.

Might grab them both!

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I started a replay of this at the start of the year and - to be completely honest - the gamey design is really welcome. I love how things don't have to entirely make sense, you can skin 100 wolves, not worry about perfect shots, call and swap out your horse at any time, etc

I put RDR2 down for a little while in 2019 and had a hell of a time picking it back up again. It is a very dense and complicated game. Now it's been so long I know I'll just need to restart it, so it can wait until I'm done with RDR.

Also RDR looks amazing on the Series X. I wish the framerate would get a boost, but oh well.

edit: the storms are still so atmospheric, a decade later
0KD2jW8.jpg

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I started a replay of this at the start of the year and - to be completely honest - the gamey design is really welcome. I love how things don't have to entirely make sense, you can skin 100 wolves, not worry about perfect shots, call and swap out your horse at any time, etc

I put RDR2 down for a little while in 2019 and had a hell of a time picking it back up again. It is a very dense and complicated game. Now it's been so long I know I'll just need to restart it, so it can wait until I'm done with RDR.

Also RDR looks amazing on the Series X. I wish the framerate would get a boost, but oh well.

edit: the storms are still so atmospheric, a decade later
0KD2jW8.jpg
I love the storms. The whole desert aesthetic really does it for me. RDR2 was a beautiful game but the desolate feel of this one is hitting some notes for me and I like it a lot

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
RDR 1 is one of my fav 7th gen games as RDR 2 is one of my fav 8th gen games.
RDR 1 also holds up beautifully, I think considerably better than a lot of its competition from the time. The graphics look nuts on X1X in 4k, it's hard to believe it's a 11 year old game. The aesthetics are very, very strong.

It really feels like being dropped into a spaghetti western film, even the way the dialogue is recorded sounds like an older movie. The ambient sounds, music, and general sparse setting with massive draw distances is really effective. I think RDR 1 is possibly the best use of "negative space" in a videogame. I remember a lot of discussion went on before the game's release, "how can an open world game thats set in a desert be fun?" - well this is how.

As mentioned above the weather is amazing too, rockstar was always very liberal with lighting in their games to paint a mood and its in full force here. The whole game world transforms when it's raining and I love how puddles actually form and stay for a while even after it stops raining. Even in todays games its rare for puddles to form and gradually dry up, so this little detail in 2010 blew my mind and still impresses me.

The combat in this game is awesome. While I prefer the horse riding and actual shooting in RDR 2, the fact that RDR 1 has snappier controls makes big encounters more fun to play out. Even at 30 fps, the game feels very responsive, much closer to Max Payne 3 than any other rockstar title since GTA 4. If this game ever gets remastered or if the MS BC team unlocks the framerate to 60, it's gonna be so damn precise and smooth.

The narrative is strong, but mostly at the start and at the end. I think it loses focus/momentum towards the middle, not unlike a lot of older R* titles. I think both GTA 5 and RDR 2 have more consistent pacing, despite being longer (and in RDR 2's case, much longer and slower) games. RDR1's last few hours are really really, reallllly strong though, and pull off some stuff that only a select few games have done so. It's a shame about the wacky support cast in the main story, very much essentially leftovers from a GTA script. I did not like how John kept threatening them almost every cutscene and yet never followed it up in any way.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Love em both. Have my criticism of RDR which I'll hope to remember to get into tomorrow.

You're right about most of the companion missions, they're largely sillier than the more serious tone of RDR2. But also like 10 years has passed in real time between the two games and a lot of expectations have changed.

I'll come back to this thread tomorrow. Enjoy the game OP, one if my absolute favorites of all time and it's amazing how much they got right 10 years ago. One thing for me is that knowing how RDR starts I really enjoyed rdr2 more or at least like ... There are callbacks in rdr2 to rdr1, and visual cues throughout the game that I just loved that rockstar kinda emphasized for fans of the original. The shit about john's homestead in epilogue 2 and just that whole part of the story really resonated with me because of rdr1. I felt so nostalgic while playing it.

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoy 2, but I found it too much like a simulation. I rather enjoy the more simplistic aspects of RDR1. I also kind of hate having to babysit the camp, just like I hated having to babysit the settlements in Fallout 4.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I just got to Mexico. Seems like the story is slowing down a bit, but the side characters here are actually interesting, unlike the cartoons up around Armadillo, lol. Otherwise, nothing much has happened so far.

How long is this game?

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I just got to Mexico. Seems like the story is slowing down a bit, but the side characters here are actually interesting, unlike the cartoons up around Armadillo, lol. Otherwise, nothing much has happened so far.

How long is this game?

Little under halfway. Mexico is the weakest story arc (IMO) and it drags a bit with the characters really overdoing the whole "I'll help you eventually, but you gotta do this for me" schtick. It's politically nihilistic but it's got a nice spaghetti western atmosphere to it.

The story gets immensely better after Mexico though. Stick with it.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Little under halfway. Mexico is the weakest story arc (IMO) and it drags a bit with the characters really overdoing the whole "I'll help you eventually, but you gotta do this for me" schtick. It's politically nihilistic but it's got a nice spaghetti western atmosphere to it.

The story gets immensely better after Mexico though. Stick with it.
Halfway already!? I just started this game a few days ago, damn. It must be a lot shorter than RDR2.

I do love the atmosphere in Mexico so far. The Duster outfit goes really well with the desert here

Hoodie Season

Jun 17, 2020
OP, as many times as I've started RDR, I've dropped it every time I got to Mexico. And I don't even know why, as I do truly like the game. I have it downloaded on my Series X now, and plan to give it another shot soon. I look forward to hearing your impressions as you finish the game.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
Both RDR and RDR2 are among my favorite games of all time. Enjoy OP. A shame for the spoiler but yeah
the infamous "John dies and you play as Jack" was everywhere
I was spoiled too, did not hindered my enjoyment, made the end even more bittersweet.

despite the inconsistencies, I think it's a great duology.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Well, I finished the game.

maxresdefault.jpg

I loved it, but not as much as RDR2. I came in expecting a conclusion to the gang story I'd seen in that game. I spent the game excited to see Bill, Javier, and Dutch again. Bill was only in a handful of chapters and Javier was in one. I was left with initial disappointment. Dutch had an entire arc to himself and I was more satisfied with that. He is truly completely lost by the time this game takes place. Killing that woman in the bank robbery is like what he allegedly did to the innocent girl on the ferry in the failed Blackwater heist prior to RDR2 and is the perfect full circle moment, because this time he absolutely did not have to, takes pleasure in it, and does not justify it. In RDR2 he said he was doing what had to be done and hid behind his glorious leader mask.

oyikv8u400q11.jpg

It's still hard to tell if he was always this crazy, horrible person or became one. He is still brainwashing others into following his "cause," and there was one really interesting line when John goes to negotiate with the natives and sees that they have become brainwashed. He doesn't say "damn you fools" or blame them, he says "damn you Dutch" and blames him, because he knows exactly what's going on and even had the same thing done to him in the past. That was a moment of very good writing between games, so much subtext below that one line that you only really see after playing them both.

The same character study from RDR2 is applicable and enhanced here. I really liked that.

jack-marston-aiming-gun.jpg

In retrospect, though, after finishing the homestead missions in Beecher's Hope and seeing John reunited with his family, I came to a realization. This is not a story about the gang. John's days with them are over and their story ended in RDR2. This is a story about John's priorities changing and his new life he is trying to start. This is a story about the sins of the past interfering with his life now. It's a story about the Marston family. The gang is a backdrop, a shadow hanging over that, and the story treats all three remaining members as such. They feel like shadows of the past. I wanted them to be the main focus at first, but I think in the end, I'm really satisfied with the story being told here. I also see now how all of the back third of RDR2 or so, when John and Arthur start falling out with Dutch, is meant to lead to this. John's new, honest life is what the good members of the gang wanted him to live for them, especially Arthur.

That said, FUCK EDGAR ROSS. I think I hate this guy more than Micah Bell. Micah might have been a straight up scumbag, but Ross is the devil's agent. He uses John to do his dirty work, treats him and his family like crap, and then kills John even though he's trying to live a peaceful life. Micah was selfish. Edgar Ross is full of nasty, nasty pride that makes him much more evil than the men he gives that label. Fuck him.

jack.jpg

I loved avenging John as Jack. In fact, I loved how Jack takes the lead at the end, after seeing him grow over the course of two games. I wish he had more than one mission unique to him. The only reason people don't like him as much is because we don't really see much of him in his gunslinging days at all.

If there is a RDR3, I want it to continue with Jack. I know most people are pulling for a prequel as it would be in the old west's heyday, but I want to see more of Jack Marston at this point. Set it in 1916 and write a story about him dealing with his hatred for the government, and his struggle between fulfilling his father's wishes and enacting justice on the people he holds responsible for his death. I would love to see that.

tumblr_maxc14QhZj1r44hpro1_500.gifv

Overall, it's a great game. The writing is more juvenile than RDR2, mostly in the side stories, but that was just the way games were at the time, I guess.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Selfish bump, nobody has anything to say about this game?
You will be pleased about Dutch, but just so you know not to get your hopes up too high, Javier is basically a different person in RDR2. Don't expect to find the compelling, sensitive character you're familiar with. They rewrote/developed the hell out of him (for the better).
Javier still felt like a progression of the more embittered version we saw in the Beaver Hollow chapter, it's just that he is wearing a ridiculous hat and only appears for a single moment at the end of a single chapter. I was really surprised how inconsequential he ended up being aside from a monologue from John talking about he went insane when Dutch did. RDR2 definitely did do him a lot of favors, though

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I'm disappointed that we never got an Undead Nightmare-esque expansion for RDR2, but it's also clear that Rockstar has other priorities right now in their online games.

Julab

Oct 27, 2017
Enjoy. One of the best games i've ever played. Hands down the best ending to a game too.