• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
lmao at RE3 not pushing the story forward. What happened to Raccoon City at the end of your copy of RE3?

Stuff changes all the time mid-development, especially in planning stages before any of this stuff is publicly revealed. Just because CV was, at some conceptual stage envisioned as RE3 does not make it RE3. RE3 is RE3. The claim about some sort of Sony partnership or contract restricting numbered games to the PS1 is also something I see oft-repeated but literally never proved or cited with a source.

The claim that Capcom also "went all out" and were trying new things in CV is absurd since CV has considerably less new things than RE3, and even the new things it does have are done with less frequency and importance than RE3's new features. Dual weapons are restricted to only a couple of weapons you can't even reload, and the FPV gimmick is used twice in two very brief boss fights outside of the battle mode.

You didn't get the part where even the creators consider CV the real RE3?? One was clearly more ambitious than the other one. Even if some hated the game.

PensivePen

Oct 25, 2017
The claim that Capcom also "went all out" and were trying new things in CV is absurd since CV has considerably less new things than RE3, and even the new things it does have are done with less frequency and importance than RE3's new features. Dual weapons are restricted to only a couple of weapons you can't even reload, and the FPV gimmick is used twice in two very brief boss fights outside of the battle mode.
Absolutely agree, RE3's gameplay improvements felt far better than the limited number of things CV added. The latter game felt like a regression in many ways.

RE3 also has the benefit of actually being developed mostly by Capcom staff, as opposed to CV in which most of the work was outsourced. I would never contest Code Veronica's status as a mainline game, but the "true RE3" narrative has always been a strange one to me.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely agree, RE3's gameplay improvements felt far better than the limited number of things CV added. The latter game felt like a regression in many ways.

RE3 also has the benefit of actually being developed mostly by Capcom staff, as opposed to CV in which most of the work was outsourced. I would never contest Code Veronica's status as a mainline game, but the "true RE3" narrative has always been a strange one to me.

One way trying to go into the 3D space hence creating new technical hurdles
The other one used the old engine, shorter narrative, added a dodge animation, and replaced MR X with Nemesis.

Look, Nemesis had its charm, but I was never blown away by it when it came out.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
If there's one flaw to point out in CV is that its enemies suck. Dodging zombies was luck. Dodging in any other game is skill. And that's not me saying it but various speed runners so I believe them when the statement includes dodge percentages on certain angles of entry. CV's are erratic.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
I really like Resident Evil but I never finished this one, I remember getting to Chris' bit at the end and for whatever reason I couldn't finish it (I may have run out of ammo). When it gets a BC patch for Xbox I'm going to try and pick it up again and finish it.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, where have I been? I thought everyone loved Code a Veronica. I had no idea it was polarizing.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bookmarking this thread because I'll play it for the first time in a few weeks. Need to finish 2 and 3 first.

nuttyevans

Nov 8, 2017
Good game. Played it on Dreamcast back in the day and again on 360 on a very snowy Xmas a few years ago. Hopefully it'll go back compat on Xbone or come to Switch so I can do it all over again.

That
Steve
boss is shit though...

Oct 30, 2017
I'm a pretty big Resident Evil fan.
.......... and you just played Code Veronica :/ ?!

Anyhow.... the best story pacing and characters and music in the classic games, but the dullest more boring settings between them all.

This game was released only months after RE3... it was one of the most mind blowing moments for me because the jump was extremely HUGE and MASSIVE!

It was one of the best sequels any fans could ask for :-)

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
The only reason I waited so long to play RE4 is that I thought it was another classic RE. CV is so full of bull it soured me on the series for years.

Haven't got the time to articulate now, but for me CV is the epitome of everything that's wrong with classic RE with very few of the rights. If anything, the game is overrated.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

It doesn't matter that it was outsourced, the art team and the direction came from Capcom with Mikami retaining his producer role. Code Veronica was quite obviously built to become a flagship title in the RE franchise, and one that was pushing the franchise forward after the success of Resident Evil 2.

If we want to play that game, Code Veronica was consistent with being written by FLAGSHIP writers who penned RE2 whereas RE3 was penned by Yasuhisa Kawamura who barely knew what the fuck a Resident Evil was before he was asked to do it. There's more to Code Veronica being the real sequel to RE2 if we look at the history of the series, and it's obvious mechanics weren't shared between the games because they had a concurrent development time. Not that CV should have copied RE3's mechanics, it's obvious they didn't want to go the action route.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
I mostly agree with you. I also liked Steve char, and when he transform... very sad... :(
My personal chart: 1>2>7(VR)>RE:CV>3>4>6

Dark_Chris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Czech republic
Ranking huh?

1. REmake
2. RE7 Gold Edition
3. RE6
4. Revelations 2
5. RE5
6. RE4
7. CVX
8. RE2
9. RE3
10. Revelations 1
11. Zero

Disclaimer: I love them all. Just because RE2 or RE3 are lower, it doesn't mean they aren't my favorite games. This whole franchise sits above anything else. The only one I don't really love is Zero thanks to some questionable gameplay decisions.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
.......... and you just played Code Veronica :/ ?!

Anyhow.... the best story pacing and characters and music in the classic games, but the dullest more boring settings between them all.

This game was released only months after RE3... it was one of the most mind blowing moments for me because the jump was extremely HUGE and MASSIVE!

It was one of the best sequels any fans could ask for :-)

Yeah I don't know why I never played it back in the day. 0 and CVX where always the RE games that I just never had the chance to play (0 because it was on the GC and CVX because I guess I just never really had the interest to play it for some reason) and I played both of them this year and while 0 ended up being my least favourite RE game, I really needed up enjoying CVX. I really wish I got round to this game sooner.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
CV felt like a big blip in the classic series. The only one of them that went fully 3D, also one of the uglier ones aside from RE1.

Did Wesker ever use that Steve virus for anything?

Beegeous

Nov 6, 2017
Manchester, UK
I was an N64 lad growing up so despite borrowing Resi 2 briefly off a mate I never got to experience the series properly. For my 18th I got a DC along with this and I absolutely loved it..

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Issues with CV for me:
  • Lack of item boxes across surprisingly long stretches of the game. The sequence in Alexia's Unwashed Manor is so frustrating to play through. A new player has no clue as to the number of items you need to pick up there. An "exchange" option would be helpful.
  • Bosses sometimes "require" the player to take damage. The Steve fight is the big offender. I've since learned you can actually avoid taking damage by bizarrely running BACK at Steve and around him to the left. I don't know how any player of reasonable skill would know this without someone on Youtube telling him.
  • Chokepoints: It's entirely too easy for players to get stuck and have to restart. I can count at least three examples in my head and the difficulty overall is harder than the legacy Resident Evil games.
  • The plot goes off the rails: Main villains have bizarre creepy relationship with each other, fetishize bugs, and oh yeah one cross dresses as the other and shrieks about it because...btw the last two villains were Nemesis and William Birkin. And then Wesker becomes center stage in CVX and he's just a collection of garbage tropes from the 90s and early 2000s. I hate how Resident Evil fans became so obsessed with Wesker. The games with him in them are so much worse. RE2, 3, and 4 are the best because they don't mention him!
  • Level design overall is just kind of annoying: I hate so many environments in this game. It feels like it's designed to be slower. The sub is annoying. The cargo elevator is annoying. I'm annoyed just thinking about it.
  • Worst enemy in the series: Bandersnatch. JFC.
  • Length: I think it's actually too long and starts dragging.
  • Realtime graphics weren't worth it: The loss of detail in the environment is significant. The Dreamcast was not the platform to shift to real time graphics for this style of game IMO. RE2 and 3 are beautiful while CV is a lot less complex.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017

Bandersnatch10.jpg

Monkeys in 0 and poison moths in CVX are worse

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
I loved Code Veronica, never really understood my it gets so much hate (that should be reserved for Resident Evil 6). Yeah Steve is annoying and the game is poorly placed in places but I love evrything about it, the main thing I love is how creepy it is...

Still, I would place it as my 6th favourite in the series after 2, 4, Remake, 5 and VII.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
It's ugly, sounds stupid, and I don't even like carrying the bowgun! Not fashionable. But seriously, they suck. It should be renamed Poosnatch. Cause it snatches poo.

(I'm not sure if you have those arrows for early encounters, right?)

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, CV sucks.

- Less detailed environments than RE2/3
- Aged even worse than the PS1 games visually
- Hardest difficulty is normal, and it's really easy
- Mechanically steps backwards from RE3
- Shitloads of ammo, only game in series can kill every enemy yet still reach the ammo per inventory slot limit.
- Censored violence
- Huge amounts of terribly design backtracking
- No visible damage to anything you fight
- Shit extra mode
- Shit unlockables (just rocket launcher)
- No alt costumes for campaign
- No Alt character version of the campaign like RE1/RE2
- No branching alternate story paths like RE1/RE3
- Steve
- Steve
- Steve

The game was nothing but steps backwards. All it should be praised for is the story and puzzles. Every else was bad.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Issues with CV for me:
  • Lack of item boxes across surprisingly long stretches of the game. The sequence in Alexia's Unwashed Manor is so frustrating to play through. A new player has no clue as to the number of items you need to pick up there. An "exchange" option would be helpful.
  • Bosses sometimes "require" the player to take damage. The Steve fight is the big offender. I've since learned you can actually avoid taking damage by bizarrely running BACK at Steve and around him to the left. I don't know how any player of reasonable skill would know this without someone on Youtube telling him.
  • Chokepoints: It's entirely too easy for players to get stuck and have to restart. I can count at least three examples in my head and the difficulty overall is harder than the legacy Resident Evil games.
  • The plot goes off the rails: Main villains have bizarre creepy relationship with each other, fetishize bugs, and oh yeah one cross dresses as the other and shrieks about it because...btw the last two villains were Nemesis and William Birkin. And then Wesker becomes center stage in CVX and he's just a collection of garbage tropes from the 90s and early 2000s. I hate how Resident Evil fans became so obsessed with Wesker. The games with him in them are so much worse. RE2, 3, and 4 are the best because they don't mention him!
  • Level design overall is just kind of annoying: I hate so many environments in this game. It feels like it's designed to be slower. The sub is annoying. The cargo elevator is annoying. I'm annoyed just thinking about it.
  • Length: I think it's actually too long and starts dragging.
  • Realtime graphics weren't worth it: The loss of detail in the environment is significant. The Dreamcast was not the platform to shift to real time graphics for this style of game IMO. RE2 and 3 are beautiful while CV is a lot less complex.
All truth. Except for Wesker. He was bad in C:V, but he's the fucking best in 5.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The other one used the old engine, shorter narrative, added a dodge animation, and replaced MR X with Nemesis.

Dino Crisis was basically RE in 3D on PS1 and ended up a much better featured and designed game than CV. That is a poor excuse for CV.

Also lol at that being all RE3 did. The features it brought to the series are a huge list.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
I disagree with the negativity of this game, I played it on the Dreamcast and the game was not only a technical marvel but also had the most diverse locations, exceptional soundtrack and felt quite lengthy for an RE game.

I've played it through a few times since then and admittedly the game starts out stronger than it finishes, but that aside it is overly criticised.

There are far worse RE games, this was the last proper RE of its kind and was still better than RE3 imo.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
hate this game. massively overrated, terrible enemies, characters and story, and despite being the first RE to break away from pre-rendered backgrounds, the results looked like boxy garbage so i'm not entirely sure it was worth it for the sake of panning cameras.

REmake, Zero, RE2 and 7 are the best this franchise has been, and it looks like RE2make will be added to the list. code veronica however...i sit it JUST above RE6.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
hate this game. massively overrated, terrible enemies, characters and story, and despite being the first RE to break away from pre-rendered backgrounds, the results looked like boxy garbage so i'm not entirely sure it was worth it for the sake of panning cameras.

Out of interest what console/tv did you play this on originally? Mine was on DC on a CRT and back then it looked amazing.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
I only remember those red monster lizard that was freaking 1-2 shootings near the end of the game..... that difficulty spike was insane.... But i remember really like it, but that DMC demo that came with it on ps2 was better :).

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Out of interest what console/tv did you play this on originally? Mine was on DC on a CRT and back then it looked amazing.

same. and i didn't think it did. i mean, we were literally going from completely unachievable pre-rendered backgrounds FULL of detail. anything at that time was going to compare unfavorably. and code veronica was a good example of that. and then REmake came out not long afterwards and made it look even worse.

Spedfrom

Oct 27, 2017
It quickly became my favourite RE game after I played it on my Dreamcast. It felt atmospheric, exhilarating to play and the plot and characters were fun and immersive. Haven't played it in years so don't know how I'd feel about it today, but its a memorable game personally.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017

Who cares so much about the engine? What matters is what game ultimately looks better. What did the 3D backgrounds ultimately add to code Veronica? Dynamic camera in a few scenes? It was not a good trade off.

I don't doubt that CV was more ambitious. It's longer. It is globe trotting. It has an "innovative" villain and story.

It's just not as good! RE3 might have expanded on two, but it lays the framework for the modern action resident evil while introducing a new, underexplored horror conceit in the series in pursuit. RE3 does a brilliant job of fleshing this out from re2; who among us cannot say that Nemesis' music makes us nervous to this day? By adding the ammo system, quick turn / dodge, the live choice system (seriously you can't forget this), and its own version of zapping, it earns its status as a classic game.

I thought CV looked great at the time by the way. I'm not saying it's ugly. It just looks a LOT more industrial now given how limited the geometry is compared to...well, a 2D picture.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just to throw my two cents in on the 'Nemesis vs CVX' debate; I love both games and I think Nemesis deserves it's 3. Personally speaking, I think CVX should have been 4 and the rest of the series moved down a number (so RE4 becomes RE5, RE5 becomes RE6 etc.).

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
As a fan of the classic games, CV is a fun game to go back to, simply because there's so much to keep track of at any given time. It's not easy to get into a rut of going through the motions. I also feel like I might be alone in this,but I actively enjoy Antarctica. It's the most interesting location in the game, and it feels unique for the series - even if there's a (limited) version of the original mansion in it.

But it's the weakest out of all the classic games when it comes to developing a horror atmosphere. The music and the visuals are perfectly fine (for the most part), but they're not good at selling it as a horror game. There's something about the game that just looks drab. It's not the geometry, is the lighting and the color choices. The story has some fun ideas, and I enjoy some elements of it, but it's poorly executed. In particular, Steve, whose voice acting is absolutely terrible. The romantic relationship just does not work at all.

In terms of what game is "the real RE3," the truth is that there's no "real RE3." The game intended to become RE3 eventually became RE4. But considering how that turned out, I feel like you could make the argument that RE7 is closest to being the "real RE3" - the first numbered horror title after 2. Of course, there's 0, but that's a prequel.

Last edited:

Toxa

Oct 28, 2017
RE3 was the first to use quick turn. I'm not sure CV was the first to do anything for the series to be honest. Even Survivor beat it to using 3D environments and first person.

man you can use dual gun that you can't even reload :D a feature exclusive to that game.
you can't compete with that

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
same. and i didn't think it did. i mean, we were literally going from completely unachievable pre-rendered backgrounds FULL of detail. anything at that time was going to compare unfavorably. and code veronica was a good example of that. and then REmake came out not long afterwards and made it look even worse.

Considering it was full 3D and not pre-rendered I thought it looked great with better lighting effects and the camera panning made it much more immersive.

You can go back to any game made in the last decade or two and nitpick the shit out of it, which I think is what's happening here, short memories.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
It was shitty and I also remember knife being ridiculously broken.

Nov 21, 2017
In terms of what game is "the real RE3," the truth is that there's no "real RE3." The game intended to become RE3 eventually became RE4. But considering how that turned out, I feel like you could make the argument that RE7 is closest to being the "real RE3" - the first numbered horror title after 2. Of course, there's 0, but that's a prequel.

I've never heard this. Can you tell us more? I had always heard what others in this thread had said; that CV was going to be RE3, but Sony wanted an RE trilogy available on the playstation, so Capcom agreed to make their Jill side game RE3.

Also wasn't Devil May Cry originally an RE4 prototype? So is Devil May Cry actually the secret RE3 we never knew existed?!

Isn't the knife in CVX one of the few games where it's actually kind of useful?

OP will have to speak for himself, but I think he meant that the knife was overpowered. In other words that it "broke" the difficulty of the game.

Last edited: