Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Did the writers go completely insane? Did they lose their minds?? What the hell were they smoking?

tumblr_oyezwdwpBc1qjz9w2o2_r1_500.gif

That was the start. I thought "okay, this is stupid and fun", thinking it was going to stay right about this level of crazy. Oh, how naive I was. This is mild, by season's 2 standards. They were just getting started.

I first started Riverdale two years ago and dropped it after a few episodes, then Sabrina hyped me up a bit and I went back, binged the first and second seasons and holy crap. That second season has to be one of the most trashy, glorious mess I've seen. It was incredible, it's like, at some point they just didn't have a fucking clue about what they were doing. So many weird plotlines introduced just for the sake of it, like Blossom's evil twin? Really? How can an evil person have an evil twin anyway???

Archie falling to the dark side, the gangs war, a street battle or a freaking riot every two days, a serial killer on the loose, even murders that occured decades ago have twists!
Great granddaddy Blossom killed great granddaddy Cooper! But actually no, we learned in the first season that great granddaddy Cooper WAS a Blossom, so it was actually a fratricide, the first sin of the town! BUT WAIT, ACTUALLY it was great granddaddy Cooper who was the murderer and then he created a new identity to cover his tracks, and they've all been murderers since!! Betty's dad was a psycho all along, trying to turn his own daughter into a killer too! And he almost succeeded.

Oh and what about Betty's secret brother? She finds this Chic guy who is apparently her long lost brother, and he's creepy and annoying and damn was this storyline boring. Surely a fan favorite.

tenor.gif

Turns out he's not really her brother, he's a fraud! Who could've guessed?? But where is her real brother then? He overdosed, he's dead! OR IS HE??
And it was actually FP's son. Alice was like: "you know, I actually had your baby all these years ago, but I gave him up for adoption, he came back years later, I didn't recognize him so I kicked him away and now he's dead okay have a nice day we won't talk about it again"
Watching season 1, I couldn't have pictured Jughead becoming a gang leader either, but here we are. And then there are other Black Hoods, the formation of the Dark Circle, mass hysteria.

I felt like I was slowly going insane watching this season, I couldn't take my eyes away. The first half with the Black Hood was crazy but still fine, and then... all hell breaks loose, it's going balls to the wall, the characters never stop to process anything, it just keeps going. And this fucking town, everytime something happens, the WHOLE town is like:

9gls2Gm.jpg

Calm the fuck down. Seriously!

So much drama, so much Hiram and Hermione drinking wine and plotting. And there's a Carrie musical episode in the middle of that because why the hell not. It goes so far that the four main protagonists become unlikable, that's quite a feat.
Meanwhile, nobody gives a shit about Cheryl who tried to commit suicide a while ago but nobody thought about checking up on her afterwards and she's still living in hell with her mom and new uncle who try to kill her grandma. Until she becomes close to Toni, a Serpent who, thankfully, motivates two others people to save her from gay conversion therapy. She's in a secret asylum where she sees movies featuring Kevin and Moose - what are they doing in these propaganda movies? Shhh, don't ask questions.
So she escapes, and is later chased by the Black Hood who has returned!
tumblr_p860vgMk0y1qjz9w2o2_500.gif

Oh no, he's gonna kill her, it's over, she's done.
UNLESS, she becomes the Red Arrow!

tumblr_p8hpttTJeG1qf5hjqo3_540.gif

At that point, I started chuckling like a madman, I had lost my sanity, I couldn't cope anymore.

gKziq0W.jpg

Was this season real? Was it a fever dream?
Did the writers chill for season 3 or are they still out of their goddamn minds? I kinda hope they still are.

Last edited:

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
One of the writer was on the forum so I really tried as long as I humanly could to repress my most negative thoughts.

But I couldn't handle it any longer. This is one of the worst thing I've seen to be honest. What a total disaster. They have a pretty cast and that's about the one positive thing I can say.
The irony is that we joked around stating with this when the show launched "at least it will have a pretty cast !" . Yikes.

OP
OP
Nikus

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One of the writer was on the forum
Well if they're still aroung I hope they don't take my post the wrong way, I had a good, crazy time!
And from what I've read they had to make quick changes to the second half because it was supposed to feature Sabrina and then Netflix picked Sabrina for her own show. It must have been a stressful time for the writers actually.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Season One was trashy fun, but that's...wow. Thanks for the "summary"!

It's weird as someone who never watches CW shows (the last one I watched was the amazing Reaper) to see something in which *everyone* is smoking hot.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
S2 was the most glorious of trainwrecks, yet I just couldn't stop watching.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it was absolutely awful. The plot was a complete mess; stupid and they kept building up plot threads only to immediately discard them. Plus Archie (and several other characters) were acting like morons.

Season 1 was good fun. Season 2 was incredibly bad.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Riverdale was merely alright to start with, but season 2 is trash without question. It's not a glorious mess either like some people like to say. It's just bad. What makes me laugh on hindsight is Jughead monologuing about 'the quiet town of Riverdale, where nothing bad ever happens'. Sure. That changed very quickly.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard S3 has been fairly solid so far. That kinda makes me want to watch season 2 just so I have somewhat of an idea what's going on though.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
S2 is one of the most amazing train wrecks I have ever witnessed.

Archie waving around a gun at gangbangers and then getting into a drag race with Jughead are some of the least crazy things that happen.

OP
OP
Nikus

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
S2 is one of the most amazing train wrecks I have ever witnessed.

Archie waving around a gun at gangbangers and then getting into a drag race with Jughead are some of the least crazy things that happen.
So much that I had completely forgotten it happened, until the riot started.
And he also started to throw molotov cocktails... until the hot Riverdale dads came to the rescue.

tumblr_p9a0ixiiiG1s99lf8o1_500.gif

OP
OP
Nikus

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I gave up after the brother thing. It was too much for me
And lol at the red hood, wtf?
It gets a bit better, they realized the brother thing was crap, and they try to land back on their feet in the last part of the season, they actually manage to succeed in a few regards and the penultimate episode is great.
But yeah, nothing really makes sense.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I'm still unsure how much of this show is meant to be taken seriously.

OP
OP
Nikus

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Quick recap.
Season 1:
x904ibw.gif

Season 2:
q3DNOIC.gif

And from what I've seen of the first episode of season 3 >

Season 2: Eternal war between the north and the southside
Season 3: Everyone is a Serpent :3

Last edited:

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
Wait until you watch season 3 lol. It's so absolutely batshit ridiculous but in a fun, "wtf did I just watch" kind of way. I seriously can't stop.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
My experience with Season 2 was mostly the same as yours OP, it was trash, but fun entertaining trash.

Those last few episodes are a wild ride.

Riverdale was merely alright to start with, but season 2 is trash without question. It's not a glorious mess either like some people like to say. It's just bad. What makes me laugh on hindsight is Jughead monologuing about 'the quiet town of Riverdale, where nothing bad ever happens'. Sure. That changed very quickly.
It's quite funny going back now and they are like "Riverdale was a town that lost it's innocence when Jason Blossom was murdered"
And then season 2 and 3 are like wait no, Riverdale has always been a shitty place and a lot of people have been murdered

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love Riversale S2 in fact I think I love it more than 1. It is just so insane and fun and enjoyable to watch. The Red Circle bit made me lol so hard.

The episode before the finale was insane. Like a riot episode or something like that.

Ionitron

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Riverdale is my biggest guilty pleasure. It's so incredible how off the rails it goes.

What really made it for me, though, was chic's death and how Betty helped in the cover up. Like, what the fuck was going on?!?

Checking out the subreddit after a new episode is hilarious too. Everyone accepts its garbage writing, but it's just so compelling lmao

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Checking out the subreddit after a new episode is hilarious too. Everyone accepts its garbage writing, but it's just so compelling lmao
Same with the OT here haha, it's the textbook example of a guilty pleasure show. I absolutely love it.

It's really easy to forget the characters are teenagers.
Remember when Archie was making the tough decision as to whether he wants to pursue sports or music? What a lifetime ago that was

Maximum Spider

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I gotta agree. S1 looks pretty but it's rather uninteresting and their wasn't a single stand out performer. S2 is just boring and becomes really annoying far too often. Riverdale strains itself to be surreal but it just can't pull it off. Veronica's Dad nearly ruined the entire season by himself.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Season 2 has like the best start ever with the Black Hood but turned out trash.

Season 3 delivering the good tho.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Season 1 was cool. Had some flaws, but it was fun. Plot was decent. Show had potential and just needed to find itself.

Season 2 what the fuck. What the fuck. What the fuck. Just got crazier and dumber and crazier and dumber. Red Arrow Cheryl wtf. So many wtf moments. Not in a good way. The plot just really sucked too.

Season 3 kinda had the same craziness of season 2 but the plot and characters are a bit better. Archie has kinda sucked but he might get a better plot soon hopefully. So far I'm enjoying it.

Skippy

Alt-Account
Oct 8, 2018
Yeah, its pretty awesome. especially if you grew up reading Archie comics. When Archie makes that video threatening the Black Hood, that was just hilarious.

S3 is just a nutty and fun. In prison Archie starts a longest yard type revolt. But then it turns into Shawshank redemption meets Unleashed(Jet Li prison movie). For some reason Archie is a badass fighter, and becomes the number 1 underground prison fighter.

Its kinda unlike any other show. Very comic book like, and soap opera like. Chic is hilarious.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Season 1 was fantastic, Season 2 was a dumpster fire.

Sadly, you can thank Sabrina. The showrunner shifted focus to that halfway into Season 2, and it shows. Also, there's speculation the show was meant to lead into Sabrina before the Netflix buyout(see: the best episode in S2, 'Tales from the Darkside'). I miss when Riverdale was clever and fun, not 'this is so utterly stupid that I can't stop watching'.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
S3 is better. It's still insane but it's more entertaining. S2 was the worst season of television I've ever watched in its entirety.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
S1 was good. Like I think actually entertaining and good. S2 (and S3) is just like, batshit insanity and crazy over the top melodrama and it's great. It's a different good than S1 but still good.

OP
OP
Nikus

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finally, I'm all caught up!
So far, season 3 is pretty good! It's still batshit crazy, but contrary to season 2, it's waaaayy more focused, and it makes all the difference. There aren't a gazillion unrelated plot threads. The characters have all personal problems they're dealing with but it all seems to be linked to the main storyline in one way or another, so it doesn't seem to be all over the place, and it doesn't seem the writers are making shit up as they go.
We'll see, but so far, so good.

I can join the madness in the OT now!

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
Season 2 was complete trash.

Season 3 is getting better but also very silly.

Neither felt much like season 1 (also not great but not bad).

Last edited:

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC his monologues ended up coming to the conclusion that 'The quiet town of Riverdale' was always a front and that there was a lot of darkness underneath.

Season 2 was fucking incredible. I ended up finishing it late because of the CW website only having the last five episodes bullshit. I kept hearing people say that it got really bad, but I honestly loved every trashy minute of it... except for the Chic shit, that was just bad.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
I really like Riverdale, one of my favourite soap opera-ish tv show. My number one is still Empire though. Lol.

I really like season 2, i kinda dislike chic but i hate that new guest star in season 3. The lady witch

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
I really like Riverdale, one of my favourite soap opera-ish tv show. My number one is still Empire though. Lol.

I really like season 2, i kinda dislike chic but i hate that new guest star in season 3. The lady witch

Also, this show is not supposed to be taken seriously. I think thats the original concept of this show, it has its own rule and logic

Also, is it me or hermione reminds me of melania trump?

Another thing, i really like the magic element in this show, im not going to be surprised if in season 4 they discover their school has a hidden entrance to magical world

Nov 1, 2017
Having read the OP's post I'm pretty sure Cobra is involved and has been using the brainwave scanner on the inhabitants of Riverdale.