• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
a34.png

This movie has been blowing up recently. A quintessential Scorsese mafia movie.
Anyone else seen this?

Deleted member 108302

Jan 29, 2022
Oh yeah, I love that film. Always preferred this poster tho. /j but only to the movie part, this is a really well made fan poster
merlin_217122114_200fdd64-25e2-400a-9066-d57abfb9ece5-articleLarge.jpg

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
iirc the busboy was played by a young david duchovny. i wanna say it was his first film.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I was guessing you had to follow the numbers in the name and the symbols somewhere.

Is it worth trying to get the joke?

It was fun watching it evolve on tumblr but it's such a tumble joke, in the way that like "thanks for the gold kind stranger" is to Reddit that I'm not sure if it's worth trying to dig into at this stage hah.

I suppose it really depends on how much the concept gets you initially. This sort of ridiculous shit is 100% my brand of dumb internet thing so I'm a bit biased.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I still have my betamax copy. I still can't believe that talking monkey was well received by The Academy.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Is this Millennial humor or Gen Z humor that I'm not finding funny?

This is like 2014 era Tumblr humor that somehow surfaced in 2022. And 2014 Tumblr humor is like the missing link between millennial and gen z humor as the platform's main demographic at the time spanned between young millennial and old gen z, so both really.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone ever see the direct-to-vhs sequel from the 90s? Goncharov Unloaded I think it was called? Starred Anthony Clark from Yes, Dear?

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
The thing is that it doesnt even stylistically make sense to be a Scorsese film from the 70s.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
always makes me sweat when a tumblr meme breaches containment to Era. also the meme isn't funny. some of the fanart is cool I guess

Small Red Boy

ā–² Legend ā–²
May 9, 2019
I thought of making a thread my self after its renaissance! It's a great movie, love the boat scene.

The meme is funny on tumblr because is nice to see all ppl play along, but it is funny here because it wouldn't work AND because we get to see a lot of ppl complaining about jokes.

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
I dont understand this thread's replies..
Is this movie worth the time? Did not know its existence.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
Martin-Scorsese-poster.jpg

www.nytimes.com

The Fake Scorsese Film You Havenā€™t Seen. Or Have You?

Tumblr is obsessed with the mafia film ā€œGoncharov.ā€ The problem is it isnā€™t real.

Tumblr cinephiles have a new favorite movie this week. It's decades old, so maybe you've already seen it. It is called "Goncharov" and stars Robert DeNiro in the titular role as a Russian hit man and former discothĆØque owner. It takes place in Naples, Italy. Cybill Shepherd plays his wife, Katya, and rounding out the cast are Al Pacino, Gene Hackman and Harvey Keitel.

The 1973 film, billed as "Martin Scorsese presents," has everything: murder, a love triangle, homoerotic undertones, a striking original score and a dramatic final scene that film buffs have been debating for years.

There's only one other thing to know about "Goncharov." It does not exist.

This film was made up by a Gen Z tumblr user, and it's now taken the internet by storm. Linda Carter and a few other older celebrities are making jokes about having gone to the film's "premiere".

The concept is really well done, it feels like it would be right at home during the New Hollywood movement of the 1970s, which is when film directors like Martin Scorsese, Sam Peckinpah, Francis Ford Coppola, Sidney Lumet, and John Schleisinger found their success. I'd certainly watch it!

Produced by Martin Scorsese / Directed by Matteo JWHJ 0715

Cast:
Robert De Niro
Harvey Keitel
Al Pacino
Gene Hackman
Cybill Shepherd
John Cazale