NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
***** SPOILER WARNING: COMPLETE OPEN SPOILERS FOR ALL SEASONS AND RELEASED STAR WARS MOVIES AHEAD *****

latest

Apologies for the title, it just came to me and was stuck in my head so I figured I'd use it.

So I totally slept on Star Wars Rebels because, I mean honestly, I wasn't about to be watching a DISNEY KIDS show. Despite that, I've been a HUGE Star Wars fan mostly my entire life. I got a Star Wars tattoo in 1998. I read all the (now "Legacy") EU novels, played all the games, devoured most of the media out there, though less and less as time went on. The death of the legacy EU stuff really put a dent in my enthusiasm for Star Wars in general. I wasn't about to pick up a ton of new books/media/etc to re-read stuff I'd already supposedly known about. The Force Awakens came out, and I liked it, it was enjoyable, and I walked out of the theater pretty happy. I think I got one of the Aftermath books, but never finished it. Rogue One came out, and wow.. yeah that was some good Star Wars right there. I snagged the Catalyst book and blew through it pretty quick. Maybe the Nu-EU wasn't going to be terrible? Ended up walking out of The Last Jedi feeling very unfulfilled. I didn't hate the movie, but I didn't love it either. I got the Bloodline book to try and fill in some of the info gaps, but haven't got around to reading it yet..

With all that being said.. I'd heard things here and there about Rebels over the years.. that they (re)introduced Grand Admiral Thrawn, had a lot of cool cameos, and had Time Travel (!!). It all SOUNDED interesting, but I was like 4 seasons behind, and I hate coming into things in the middle so I just shrugged and went along with life.

That all changed a couple of weeks ago. Disney decided to show a marathon of ALL the prior Rebels episodes (mostly back to back to back to back), and I happened to be flipping channels when the FIRST episode (Spark of Rebellion) was on. I was home with the kid (He's 5), and we watched the first episode. It was actually really good. The art style was unique, but not as exaggerated as The Clone Wars. The sound/music/etc was all top notch and really FELT like Star Wars. We watched a couple more, and the quality held up. I was a little worried the teenager characters (Ezra, Sabine) would grate on me.. but they were never put in stereotypical annoying 'teenage' situations, and never got on my nerves. I ended up setting the entire series to record, and over the next couple of days my DVR recorded every episode, including the finale.

Slowly but surely my son and I worked through the episodes (THANK YOU commercial fast forward!). With only like 20 minutes of show per episode, we could blast through 5 or 6 after work/school. He was exciting, I was getting invested. We powered through the first season. Yoda! Lando! Tarkin! The Inquisitor! So many TIE Fighters! By the time we got to the last episode, "Fire Across the Galaxy", we were hooked. Mustafar! Light saber duels! The ending sequence when they're escaping in the TIEs and all hope seems lost and the Chopper and the Ghost show up.. followed by OMGWTF Rebel Blockade runners! Senator Organa! Fulcrum is Ahsoka! Seriously, the scene of the reinforcements showing up gave me goose bumps. My son was jumping up and down he was so shocked they came to save the day. It was a great moment. Cap that off with MOTHER F'ING VADER showing up.. whew, lads.

Season 2 was more of the same, great Star Wars stories. Seeing Vader be badass Vader.. interacting with Ahsoka.. tying little things together. Rex! The Clones! B-Wings! It all felt so natural. It felt like Star Wars. There were some dark moments too, with the Inquisitors causing all kinds of havok & finding out Ezra's parents had died. My son was sad to hear that, and asked me about it. I thought it was handled in a really good way. Following this up with our first meeting of Princess Leia was great too. "The Honorable Ones" was a really good episode, seeing Agent Kallus and Zeb stuck together.. it laid some good seeds for the future too. Ending with the return of Maul was perfect. Such a good, emotional battle at Malachor. The cross-guard lightsaber reference (from TFA) was really neat as well.

I thought the small time-skip for Season 3 was well done. It was nice seeing the "kids" a little older and wiser. Seeing Thrawn on my TV was as amazing as I'd hoped. I was a fan from the novels way back, so it was very cool to see him in action. The continuing Maul saga was really interesting, and I got giddy with the "two suns" reference. I liked that they did not toil too much on the light side/dark side struggle with Ezra. I felt like it was just enough to convey the point without having to take up multiple episodes. Lots of great Thrawn action in the season, oh, and TIE Defenders! So many little things just add up to great Star Wars goodness.. the Dark Saber.. Saw Gerrera.. Geonosis.. I really liked Kallus being the new Fulcrum too. There definitely were a few filler episodes with the 22 episode order.. but they were all, at the very least, entertaining, and most of them had some sort of information which added to the overall Star Wars lore. Then "Twin Suns".. wow.. I knew this was coming, as I'd seen a clip of it somewhere before, but it was all the more impactful now, having followed the story from the beginning. What a perfect ending (one and for all?) for Maul. Great seeing Obi-wan as well (Hello there!).

Season 4 was a blur.. I was in full hype mode now, only 16 episodes to go! I needed to see how this all ended.. how were all the strings going to get tied up? The Mandalorian stories were good, it felt good seeing more of them. Finally to the meat of the season.. Rukh was a nice surprise (though sad his people didn't get to end Thrawn). Loth-Wolves?! Normally I don't think I'd enjoy some of the absolute Force-weirdness we see in this season, but somehow, for some reason, Rebels just sells it. I think perhaps the focus on Lothal for a lot of the series, combined with the different Jedi powers we see here and there helped make it all 'make sense'. By the time I got to Jedi Night.. oh man. The torture of Hera was pretty brutal (especially for Disney!), and drugging her.. But so good finally seeing Kanan and Hera connect.. and then.. he dies. But what a death it was! The next couple of episodes had the perfect pacing.. of being sad for Kanan, still needing to fight, but having to deal with the overwhelming grief. I really liked how they altered the beginning/end logo throughout the series for special occasions. The "World beyond Worlds" was crazy as hell, but again, the show sold it to me, and I didn't really doubt any of it. It felt impactful, it taught a lesson, and was really entertaining. It was also cool to see the Emperor doing his evil Emperor things too.

The final two episodes were just magnificent.. so much action.. horror (bombarding a city!).. emotions.. yeah maybe I teared up a little bit. It felt like such a fitting end for everyone involved. The damn space whales were even cool.. and I'm happy that Thrawn and Ezra's stories are not definitively 'finished' yet. The epilogue.. with Hera and Rex being at Endor.. Kallus and Zeb going to Zeb's home world.. and Sabine and Ahsoka leaving to find Ezra.. all awesome.

The show has really reignited my interest in Star Wars, I ordered a couple of the new books, looking forward to the new Tarkin novel coming out this summer.. and finding out what is next to come in the galaxy far far away. Everything about it just felt 100% right, which is frankly amazing. I suppose Rebels hit the sweet spot for me, nostalgic for that time period in SW history, great cameos, but not being beholden to any of that.. they told their own story, and never let the other things overshadow it. Ultimately it was the story of freeing Lothal & it's people.

Seeing this become reality...

Ezras-Final-Vision-Parents-and-an-Empireless-Lothal.png

... was really awesome.

Star-Wars-Rebels-Series-Finale-Renewed-Lothal.png

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I kind of want to watch all of this, but I gave a few Clone Wars episodes a shot and it didn't stick.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed this show, overall. It struggled a bit due to what I assume were studio-mandated "kiddie" elements -- basically what I imagine Avatar: The Last Airbender would have been like if Nickelodeon had more directly interfered during the production and the whole show was like the first half of season 1. There are an unfortunate number of filler episodes in the first two seasons. But it really comes into its own over time and I love the closure and continuity with The Clone Wars. I'm looking forward to the next Filoni animated show.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Rebels starts well, and then it gets somewhat lost for a while in a swamp of mediocrity.
The final series or so pulls together a lot of the distinctive Filoni weirdness and is pretty satisfying to be honest.

The mediocrity never got quite as bad as the lowest points of Clone Wars, but I'm also not sure whether the highs in the Rebels were as good as the highs in the Clone Wars.
I resent the Empire being repeatedly painted as constantly incompetent. Not that I emotionally identify with the Empire, I just think it undermined the 'stakes'.

OP
OP
NSA

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I kind of want to watch all of this, but I gave a few Clone Wars episodes a shot and it didn't stick.

Same here really, I never got into Clone Wars. The animation style or something just didn't appeal to me. I saw some stuff here and there but was never a big fan. Didn't seem to matter much going into Rebels though for me. Having it all released and able to go through it at my own pace was great.

I really enjoyed this show, overall. It struggled a bit due to what I assume were studio-mandated "kiddie" elements -- basically what I imagine Avatar: The Last Airbender would have been like if Nickelodeon had more directly interfered during the production and the whole show was like the first half of season 1. There are an unfortunate number of filler episodes in the first two seasons. But it really comes into its own over time and I love the closure and continuity with The Clone Wars. I'm looking forward to the next Filoni animated show.

I didn't think there was too much of the kiddie angle at all, as that was something I was worried about, but I felt the stakes were always relatively high (for a kids show). TONS of Imperial & Rebel soldiers died in the show.. frankly I was amazed how many died. It's not like GI JOE where Cobra always bails out of their vehicle right before it explodes. Sure, there was a fair share of 'knockouts' instead of kills, but it didn't take me out of too much.

Perhaps it has to do with the amount of Disney Jr shows I'm forced to endure.. but Rebels felt adult-enough to me to enjoy :)

Rebels starts well, and then it gets somewhat lost for a while in a swamp of mediocrity.
The final series or so pulls together a lot of the distinctive Filoni weirdness and is pretty satisfying to be honest.

The mediocrity never got quite as bad as the lowest points of Clone Wars, but I'm also not sure whether the highs in the Rebels were as good as the highs in the Clone Wars.
I resent the Empire being repeatedly painted as constantly incompetent. Not that I emotionally identify with the Empire, I just think it undermined the 'stakes'.

I think if they'd stuck to 13/16 episode seasons it might have flowed a little better, the two 22 episode seasons had a tendency to get a little long in the tooth.. but not terribly so. I think if I was waiting a week or more between episodes it would have grated more than waiting 20 minutes for the next episode. I always seemed to end my watching sessions with a "good" episode so I was eager to get back to it in a couple days.

Could be a good case for binge vs release watching?

As for the Empire, I thought they we're mostly OK. Thrawn was good, the others were kinda typical scheming Imperials.. but I always felt like they were at least some sort of threat.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
It had some highs, but really uneven.

And this tiny band of Rebels destroy star destroyers like they are nothing, the Empire is even more incompetent in presentation than ever before with how poorly the troops and ships perform.

OP
OP
NSA

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It had some highs, but really uneven.

And this tiny band of Rebels destroy star destroyers like they are nothing, the Empire is even more incompetent in presentation than ever before with how poorly the troops and ships perform.

I was glad they.. invented? had? the Imperial Transports and Light Cruisers.. as they blew those up a lot more than Star Destroyers.. it seemed like the Star Destroyers getting rekt was a lot more impactful event when it happened. TIE's were still mostly junk though, but I did like seeing the TIE Defender in action again.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I was glad they.. invented? had? the Imperial Transports and Light Cruisers.. as they blew those up a lot more than Star Destroyers.. it seemed like the Star Destroyers getting rekt was a lot more impactful event when it happened. TIE's were still mostly junk though, but I did like seeing the TIE Defender in action again.

It was impactful till the last 2 seasons when every few episodes they found a way to take out entire star destroyers

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say give it a shot, for the majority I don't think its near Clone Wars but the actual setup for the show could really make it click versus Clone Wars bouncing around the galaxy for hundreds of different battles, characters, etc.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it. What a fantastic ending. I grew to really care about the characters when initially I thought I wouldn't. Glad to have been proven wrong.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
The most boring show involving laser swords imaginable. And Ezra is just the worst.
Preach it.

The earlier seasons have their moments, but the core cast is painfully bland. The best parts of the show by a dizzying margin feature Ahsoka or film characters. The show peaked with the Season 2 finale, which is the only time it matched the best of Clone Wars.

On a nitpicky note, I was annoyed by Ezra's parallel scars every time I saw them. They break two design rules for making things look natural or organic. Use odd numbers of things, and offset each thing so no pair lines up cleanly. The way he got them doesn't even make sense. A glancing blow from a whirling lightsaber would leave one groove. Even if the idea is that the dual blades were somehow spinning fast enough to nick him twice, the artist could have made the scars look much better.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NSA

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it. What a fantastic ending. I grew to really care about the characters when initially I thought I wouldn't. Glad to have been proven wrong.

I watched the last 5 or 6 episodes again with my son this week, and I still really enjoyed it. I suppose I would have like to have had some things expanded upon.. but I feel like they did a really good job with a 20-something minute limit per episode.

Have we heard anything else on the next Filoni show? I have to imagine he'll get to continue it in some way.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The worst thing about Rebels is that Clone Wars came before it. Such a strong cast and much better visuals in the previous show. Rebels was the most interesting when it directly involved things from the clone wars. Granted, I did enjoy some of the original ideas, the inquisitors especially.

Last edited:

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watched the last 5 or 6 episodes again with my son this week, and I still really enjoyed it. I suppose I would have like to have had some things expanded upon.. but I feel like they did a really good job with a 20-something minute limit per episode.

Have we heard anything else on the next Filoni show? I have to imagine he'll get to continue it in some way.

We don't know yet but it's obviously going to focus on Sabine and Ahsoka.

OP, what books did you order? You said you're looking forward to the "Tarkin" book coming out this summer but that's a Thrawn book. Tarkin's novel came out in 2014.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Ahsoka vs Vader was definitely the peak of the series.

It was a good run, it's just that the Clone Wars was so good, and it had a lot to live up to.

OP
OP
NSA

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
We don't know yet but it's obviously going to focus on Sabine and Ahsoka.

OP, what books did you order? You said you're looking forward to the "Tarkin" book coming out this summer but that's a Thrawn book. Tarkin's novel came out in 2014.

I meant the 2nd Thrawn book. I bought the first new one but haven't read it yet. I see there are other new books regarding the Rebels people too.. Though I imagine they're geared towards kids.

Look forward to them fleshing out the time between ROTJ and TFA.

It was a good run, it's just that the Clone Wars was so good, and it had a lot to live up to.

I just couldn't ever get into the clone wars show. I really should try again, the animation style just put me off right away for some reason. For example I think Ahsoka looks 1000x better in Rebels than she did in Clone Wars.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I meant the 2nd Thrawn book. I bought the first new one but haven't read it yet. I see there are other new books regarding the Rebels people too.. Though I imagine they're geared towards kids.

Get the Servants of the Empire books. They're for kids but they don't read much like it and they help flesh things out during season 1.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

She should've died right then and there. It was the perfect conclusion to her story.

I just couldn't ever get into the clone wars show. I really should try again, the animation style just put me off right away for some reason. For example I think Ahsoka looks 1000x better in Rebels than she did in Clone Wars.

I can't believe what I'm reading. The only "bad" looking part of Clone Wars is the first season, but by the second season the pump up the visuals dramatically and it only gets better from then on. Rebels looks like a broken up piece of junk compared to Clone Wars. Lucas didn't really give a shit about money and just let them go wild because he wanted to push how good a CG TV show could look.

If you need some hype as to why you should watch Clone Wars, this is the video that did it for me:

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017

You really should. The series did start off rough, and there are some crap episodes here and there but there are some really great episodes and moments that shouldn't be missed. Had you watched and finished TCW before Rebels, I guarantee that a lot of the callbacks and situations involving the characters from the show would have been a lot more satisfying.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
As much explaining as Luke had to do in The Last Jedi. Hey ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

How I picture Ahsoka when someone asks her what she did during the OT:

QdZZKDm.gif
Luke did explain, he was suffering from severe and crippling depression, what's her excuse?
Star-Wars-Rebels-Finale-Ahsoka.jpg

WHERE WERE YOU! Also weird that she seems to have aged quite a bit despite only 4 years passing?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Luke did explain, he was suffering from severe and crippling depression, what's her excuse?

WHERE WERE YOU! Also weird that she seems to have aged quite a bit despite only 4 years passing?

Obi-Wan taught her his skin care secrets.

Her excuse is that she secretly helped the Rebellion behind the scenes, being a central figure in Rebellion Intelligence, which is also why you've likely never heard of her. She realized after her confrontation with Vader she was no match for him and since she wasn't a Jedi it wasn't her job to deal with him. This would be further solidified with her getting into contact with Obi-Wan who'd tell her to just stay away from Vader as the Chosen One will deal with him.

Or some such similar nonsense.

Oct 29, 2017
The Best part of the show: The progression of the main cast and seeing some familiar faces from TCW.
The worst part of the show: How incompetent the empire minions were at times.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is Star Wars we're talking about. Anakin was 45 when he died but was played by a 78 year old and Obi-Wan was 57 when he died and played by a 63 year old (not quite as dramatic mind but Alec Guinness definitely did not look 57).

I think all Jedi just age like twenty years when they hit 40.

As for where she was, I like to think she was still actively involved in the battle against the Empire. Ahsoka never really ran from fights (Anakin was a bad influence on her in that regard) and Palpatine was well aware of the fact she was very much still alive. We know she wasn't at the battles of Yavin, Hoth or Endor but those weren't really the only places that needed help.

I remember that if The Clone Wars had continued, Ahsoka would have become something of a vigilante. While the episodes never got produced, maybe that's what she went back to being? A drifter that travelled from planet to planet, freeing colonies and suchlike from imperial troops and just generally being a badass while relaying intel back to the Rebellion.

OP
OP
NSA

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe what I'm reading. The only "bad" looking part of Clone Wars is the first season, but by the second season the pump up the visuals dramatically and it only gets better from then on. Rebels looks like a broken up piece of junk compared to Clone Wars. Lucas didn't really give a shit about money and just let them go wild because he wanted to push how good a CG TV show could look.

I'll have to give it another shake. When it came out I wasn't really interested in MORE Clone Wars.. And I'd really liked the traditionally animated clone wars movies so I felt no need to replace them. I think I read enough about the show though to catch most of the tie in's, but it'll be interesting seeing them in reverse now.

For Ahsoka, do we know how long she was stuck on that planet or even when she got spit back out? Would be a fun story to tell I think.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
This is Star Wars we're talking about. Anakin was 45 when he died but was played by a 78 year old and Obi-Wan was 57 when he died and played by a 63 year old (not quite as dramatic mind but Alec Guinness definitely did not look 57).

I think all Jedi just age like twenty years when they hit 40.
Ain't that the truth.

As for where she was, I like to think she was still actively involved in the battle against the Empire. Ahsoka never really ran from fights (Anakin was a bad influence on her in that regard) and Palpatine was well aware of the fact she was very much still alive. We know she wasn't at the battles of Yavin, Hoth or Endor but those weren't really the only places that needed help.

I remember that if The Clone Wars had continued, Ahsoka would have become something of a vigilante. While the episodes never got produced, maybe that's what she went back to being? A drifter that travelled from planet to planet, freeing colonies and suchlike from imperial troops and just generally being a badass while relaying intel back to the Rebellion.
I suppose it makes sense, Luke wasn't really widely known as a jedi until ROTJ and shortly after.

I'll have to give it another shake. When it came out I wasn't really interested in MORE Clone Wars.. And I'd really liked the traditionally animated clone wars movies so I felt no need to replace them. I think I read enough about the show though to catch most of the tie in's, but it'll be interesting seeing them in reverse now.

For Ahsoka, do we know how long she was stuck on that planet or even when she got spit back out? Would be a fun story to tell I think.
Clone Wars is genuinely the prettiest CGI television show ever made. And it has a hell of a lot more depth than the 2D show.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
It was ok show. Nothing outstanding. If any body wants to watch star wars related show clone wars is much much better. They even make prequel trilogy better movies

Tsunamo

Oct 28, 2017
I really enjoyed the first season, and how it felt like a fun romp like A New Hope. Just a fun space adventure about them being rebels with some lightsabers inbetween in all and a diversive cast to make it enjoyable. (helped it had a low episode count too compared to other seasons)
Season 2 had some great moments, but I feel like it develops a littlebit into this pattern of small missions involving the ghost crew/phoenix squadron often that tend to get repetitive with some more interesting storys romped inbetween them.

Season 3 with the Maul and Ezra dynamic was fun, aswell as Thrawn but again I feellike they had some not so enjoyable episodes (the droid infiltrating the base and Zeb along with Chopper and AP-5 trying to get rid of it) and I felt like they missed a bit of a oppurtunity to show squardrons or cells outside of phoenix squadron as much and get to know them, and it's a shame that as they get to Yavin 4 we don't get to actually see much of the Rebel alliance as its fully formed, it's time for them to go back to lothal by the time they get there.

But for all its lows Rebels has some damn good highs, Sabines character arc and restoring her clan again. Maul vs Obi-Wan, Asoka vs Vader, and the final season wrapping everything up nicely.

OP
OP
NSA

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Clone Wars is genuinely the prettiest CGI television show ever made. And it has a hell of a lot more depth than the 2D show.

It was ok show. Nothing outstanding. If any body wants to watch star wars related show clone wars is much much better. They even make prequel trilogy better movies

Okay.. I'm going to have to try and give CW a try.. Pablo Hidalgo was talking it up on Twitter a couple days ago too.. is it streaming anywhere? Not sure where I'm going to find the time to cram in all those seasons, but I'll figure it out :)

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Okay.. I'm going to have to try and give CW a try.. Pablo Hidalgo was talking it up on Twitter a couple days ago too.. is it streaming anywhere? Not sure where I'm going to find the time to cram in all those seasons, but I'll figure it out :)
Just stick with it season 1 is not that great but season 2 onwards it becomes great