• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
This is a prime example for why it isn't always a good idea for a show to last a long time.

When I saw reviews of this show alongside The Middle, I was impressed with how well-received it was compared to one of my favorite shows. Unfortunately, following that show was impossible given how busy its timeslots were. It wasn't until last fall that I took a look into the show and this summer to catch up from the beginning.

The contrast between the early and later seasons is insane. The show decided to make the cast pretty crazy to begin with, like with Malcolm in the Middle. It's a good strategy if you want to avoid exaggerating their personalities even further in later seasons. And in the first 4 seasons it worked. Erica took a while to grow into her character but she ended up being one of the most compelling characters throughout the series. Sure the family could be annoying at times, but it did give us some hilarious back and forths in the meantime.

Season 5 was when things started to get shaky. Beverly was given a rework to be less of a smother while Erica went to college. Adam's new girlfriend also became more prominent in the form of Girl Meets World's Rowan Blanchard. And yet the dynamic just didn't feel that right. The jokes weren't hitting as well, the supporting cast weren't pulling their weight and the beats were beginning to get scale.

Season 6 threw Beverly's character development out the window and put her back to her old self. Erica's girlfriend Geoff basically got attached to her and Rowan got replaced by someone who just wasn't as good.

Season 7... the whole show felt like it was sped up twice as fast yet it tore each episode apart. Nearly everyone had their worst aspects flanderized to the point that you outright dislike some of them.

So yeah... this show should have ended a while ago. It should definitely end this upcoming season with the death of George Segal.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It also doesn't help that they really started to scrape the bottom of the barrel for significant 80s references in later seasons.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I agree. The first three or so seasons of The Goldbergs have some pretty incredible highs. I would never put it on the top echelon of sitcoms, but certainly enjoyable enough to watch every week. By the midpoint though, especially as Adam grew up and he couldn't believably manage that same needy relationship with his mom, it became much less enjoyable. I don't know how to say this without sanding really judgmental, but Adam has become a really awkward actor. The qualities that made him cute and funny as a young kid are making him really awkward and almost uncomfortable as a teenager.

The show's weird emphasis on 80s references, to the point where it has numerous themed episodes, is also a really bad move. The 80s are long past the point where they should be a focus, and should move to the background of the show.

Last edited:

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
The premise pretty much wore itself pretty thing by season five, yeah and Adam is getting too old and Beverly too much of a caricature. I do kind of hope the show is at the end.

I'm curious how they're going to handle George Segal's passing though. I assume they'll continue with more focus on Murray's dad but eh...

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
I actually thought last year was pretty good.

That said, the Erica character has been stale for years. Never grows. Never learns from her mistakes. Same thing each week. I'm over it. Geoff is fantastic but I'd like to see some more depth to Erica.

I miss Schooled. It was just getting its feet under it when it got canned (most likely because of the allegations against Bryan Callen).

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This past season has been "ehh". Not bad, but I've started not paying attention to it when it's on. The writing staff is running out of ideas and has started to engage in re-packaging old storylines and pretty flimsy 80s pop culture references.

I kinda want the cast to be released so they can go on to do other things, particularly the younger cast. I've been enjoying Giambrone's voice work on Solar Opposites, for example.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah there's only so much that concept can work with and they started to nose dive. I think Season 4 was about when I stopped as well and I got very tired of Beverly being incredibly one-note in her writing. How many times is she going to learn the exact same lesson?

It's fun nostalgia for a bit but it gets old.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The general problem with all comedies like this with families is after a few seasons the kids out grow the show premise. You end up with things like the Cosby Show or Fresh Prince with kids in college angle or else stuff like Rosanne where the kids grow up and it gets weird.

Plus as others have said you run out of the idea of things like the 80s. Easier for a comedy like Cheers to run when everyone is older. Same with Seinfeld.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
I believe the original creator and writer of The Goldbergs got booted from his own series here. He has said on Twitter multiple times that ABC said he wasn't needed any more.

Nov 26, 2017
I believe the original creator and writer of The Goldbergs got booted from his own series here. He has said on Twitter multiple times that ABC said he wasn't needed any more.
Yea, the real Adam F Goldberg started to work on Schooled(which was actually getting better the longer it was on) and they canceled Schooled and more and less told him to F off when try to go back to The Goldbergs. Their probably more to it, but that is what I piece together.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't noticed a huge decline in quality. The Goldbergs is never amazing, but it's usually good for a fun 20 minutes.

It's not like American Housewife which was really good for most of its run and then completely imploded on itself in the last season with lots of cast & crew quitting.

Nov 4, 2017
It also doesn't help that they really started to scrape the bottom of the barrel for significant 80s references in later seasons.
This is true. In later seasons I think they even squeezed some early 90s references in. I still love that Steve Gutenberg is the science teacher and Michael Anthony Hall is the coolest dude in town. Buuuuut now that George Segel is gone, I'm not sure I want to keep watching.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, the real Adam F Goldberg started to work on Schooled(which was actually getting better the longer it was on) and they canceled Schooled and more and less told him to F off when try to go back to The Goldbergs. Their probably more to it, but that is what I piece together.
Yeah, I heard similar now. Basically that the original creator is off the show and without him the writers/ABC started taking way more liberties with the show and characters. Or so I heard.