• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
So... I've been on a bit of a VN binge for a little more than a year at this point. I read Umineko, I read Muv Luv, went through Utawarerumono, finally played Danganronpa V3, and took a break to read 428: Shibuya Scramble. I always knew I wanted to read Fata Morgana after how many posters on here have sung its praises, but I can't deny I was a little hesitant due to how much the story was hyped up. I knew I'd read it eventually so I got the LRG Vita release for the VN, but hadn't really had the chance to sit down and read it until just recently, with everything going on in my life. Work, school, all that jazz.

Well, I finally read it, and I can see why everybody loves it so much.

Nobody in Fata Morgana is a "good person", but much like the Ushiromiya's in Umineko, that's probably why all of these characters feel so real. Everyone in the world is a shade of gray, even the most heinous of villains have their circumstances, and while that can't be a justification for their actions - hate begetting hate helps no one. Morgana had every reason to hate those that caused her death, but the endless cycle of death and rebirth didn't change her circumstances. Nothing would. No matter what her, or Michel, or Giselle, or even the 3 men wished for - the past is the past for a reason.

Fata Morgana is definitely a Visual Novel I'd recommend to newcomers to the genre, albeit with a giant asterisk that the story is incredibly graphic, and you'd have to be prepared for that. It's undeniable that Fata Morgana doesn't fall into the same fanservice traps that even some of my favorite VNs have run into - the art style is realistic, painterly, and the story deals with mostly western themes, despite its Japanese origin.

If I had one complaint...

While I don't necessarily have an issue with how the game ends, I feel that it was at least a little bit rushed compared to the rest of the story. Georges as the painting made sense - that was foreshadowed. But Didier almost felt like it came out of nowhere. The excuse that his helmet stayed on to hide his tears, well, I guess it makes sense - but I do feel it could've been foreshadowed at least a little more. Also, the way that the White-Haired Girl is dealt with also felt a bit sudden, even if - again - it fit the narrative. I'm not sure how I would've dealt with that myself, maybe have a little bit more exposition before Michel is forced to kill her, but it just felt like it was dealt with too quickly.

Everything else about the ending is fine, and really the ending itself is still good, it's just minor pacing issues.

I'm going to read Requiem and Reincarnation this week, so I'll probably have thoughts for those later. For now, I'm still reeling from that ending.

"May the World Beyond Be Filled With Light."

The-House-in-Fata-Morgana-main-1024x576.png

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I need to play this soon. I've been catching up on the VN genre over the last few years, which I had previously not paid enough attention too.

Deleted member 873

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Wig. Best game I played last year.

But I disagree with you that it ends in a rush. If anything, door 4 drags a bit.