• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
If you read the whole post you get what I'm saying, unfortunately that's about as "good" as stealth gets today; static predetermined walk paths, enemies with daily routines, with dynamic search behaviour. Stealth is super old-school at it's core in all games. Something clearly needs to happen there.
Stealth games without predictable A.I would be more annoying than fun in like 99/100 cases, certainly in TLoU 1 were you have like 5 bullets split between 5 weapons, your fists and a pack of crisp to deal with 10+ enemies, or they'd have cheats (slo-mo aim usually and instant kill/KO weapon) to counter it. Early MGS stealth works so well because it's built almost entirely around fucking with the super predictable A.I for example.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
It is basically a stealth game and the first 25% is by VERY far the worst part of the game.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
AC: Verrry little I'd say. Sooner or later they all go back to their dumb routines, standing with their back toward some tall grass, standing at the edge of a ledge or open window, peeing in some bushes, resting, walking past some tall grass, etc etc. And if you whistle you can call them to your spot and insta kill them. The stealth is not very advanced. But ironically it's still better than many other games. The good stuff happens when you mess up and get enemies searching and you start crawling around walls trying to break the line of sight and scramble to find new hiding spots.
The way it's designed is that there are specific patrols to take every AI is given a goal at any given time based on the TOD. Hence them doing things like, as you said, peeing, resting, eating, training, sitting down to write some papers, etc. so it feels a lot more dynamic than games where the AI stands and sticks to those patrol routes and nothing else. Now if they were to start doing stuff like, randomly turning around and such, that would be a poor design choice. This extends to the AI responding to specific phenomena. If you sprint, sprinting creates a sound, they hear and turn around as a result. If you shoot an arrow and it misses, they will see that and then take cover, and will alert any allies passing by that someone is shooting, their ally will then also take cover, if you hit a wall with your melee, that too as a sound lure, if they need to sleep they'll put their weapons away, It gets really deep when you examine and compare it to other games. I was for example, flabbergasted that ND managed to get enemies to leap between platforms while searching for you, but never gave you the option to whistle.

Stealth games without predictable A.I would be more annoying than fun in like 99/100 cases, certainly in TLoU 1 were you have like 5 bullets split between 5 weapons, your fists and a pack of crisp to deal with 10+ enemies
On normal?

Oct 28, 2017
I hate forced stealth sections in non stealth games as much as anyone.

Thing is.... TLOU IS A BLOODY STEALTH GAME! Stealth is the lifeblood of the gamplay of TLOU. Complaining about the game having stealth makes no sense.

But anyways TLOU is actually really underrated in the gameplay department. It's the first Naughty Dog game since CTR to have genuinely great gameplay. All style no substance is an accurate description of the Uncharted series, but not TLOU.

Ardend

Oct 27, 2017
I found the stealth sections very compelling. The worst bits were those areas where enemies magic spawn and elastic band you.
That's just it, the whole game is magic spawned enemies. If you use the sense enemy (can't remember what it's called) thing where it highlights enemies, and then walk into a stealth section you can literally see enemies spawn in behind walls. A proper stealth game may have enemies on predetermined routines, and they may go back to them after an alert, but the enemies are all in the play field ahead of time so that you can plan, with the exception of enemies added by alarms. This game fails on that simple concept and makes it more of a stealth guessing game. Needs to be better for the next one.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
The way it's designed is that there are specific patrols to take every AI is given a goal at any given time based on the TOD. Hence them doing things like, as you said, peeing, resting, eating, training, sitting down to write some papers, etc. so it feels a lot more dynamic than games where the AI stands and sticks to those patrol routes and nothing else. Now if they were to start doing stuff like, randomly turning around and such, that would be a poor design choice. This extends to the AI responding to specific phenomena. If you sprint, sprinting creates a sound, they hear and turn around as a result. If you shoot an arrow and it misses, they will see that and then take cover, and will alert any allies passing by that someone is shooting, their ally will then also take cover, if you hit a wall with your melee, that too as a sound lure. It gets really deep when you examine and compare it to other games.

On normal?
You have like 10 bullets maybe and some healing/bomb supplies. I last played TLoU on Normal at the PS3 release. It was a far better stealth experience on Survivor. I don't think I've ever went from "this weapon is kinda trash", to "holy fuck it's the greatest, most beautiful thing known to mankind" like I did with the Bow in TLoU from changing difficulty, a bullet that doesn't always go forever after being shot?

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
That's just it, the whole game is magic spawned enemies. If you use the sense enemy (can't remember what it's called) thing where it highlights enemies, and then walk into a stealth section you can literally see enemies spawn in behind walls. A proper stealth game may have enemies on predetermined routines, and they may go back to them after an alert, but they enemies are all in the play field ahead of time so that you can plan, with the exception of enemies added by alarms. This game fails on that simple concept and makes it more of a stealth guessing game. Needs to be better for the next one.
There's like a few sections like this, all encounters have set spawns and paths for enemies too that will be disrupted if you alert them, hell most encounters you can get through without even being seen, though not all unfortunately. The stealth falls short by cheating, like 1 guy sees you suddenly the entire gang know your exact location. Not by spawning more enemies on you, though a few encounters are wave based, they exist to drain resources.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
You have like 10 bullets maybe and some healing/bomb supplies. I last played TLoU on Normal at the PS3 release. It was a far better stealth experience on Survivor. I don't think I've ever went from "this weapon is kinda trash", to "holy fuck it's the greatest, most beautiful thing known to mankind" like I did with the Bow in TLoU from changing difficulty, a bullet that doesn't always go forever after being shot?
I mean, whether or not it broke was seemingly random. Was there ever a way to determine whether or not it'd break?

There's like a few sections like this, all encounters have set spawns and paths for enemies too, hell most you can get through without even being seen, though not all.
The grounded playthrough really exposed just how often enemies genuinely are scripted to pop out of thin air in that game. Like the part where Ellie HAS to shoot a bullet at an enemy because canonically she did in the cutscene, or the part where the truck shows up, if you stealth through the first building, and get past the truck with stealth, the game will automatically spawn enemies as you walk into the next building, and those enemies are programmed to be aggroed and aware of you by default so once you get past the trigger in the doorway they are already angry and taking cover, because there HAS to be a chase sequence with the truck. Drove me crazy and I sincerely hope TLOU2 is nothing like that. Like, if I had a successful stealth run it should count damn it.

Last edited:

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoyed the stealth personally, played on the hardest difficulty just below Grounded(can't recall name), but felt the scenarios were mostly well handled to puzzle through encounters. And they mostly were puzzles, for better or worse. Ones you had some wiggle room to suss out an approach, but they were tense and often involved clever AI manipulation to completely avoid discovery or clear an area.

If you aren't into that, then sure it isn't offering much else.

Ardend

Oct 27, 2017
There's like a few sections like this, all encounters have set spawns and paths for enemies too, hell most you can get through without even being seen, though not all.
It's more than a few. And yes the spawns are predetermined, but there shouldn't be any spawns after the user enters an area. That is if it's a proper stealth game, which this isn't. The hotel basement for instance is a particularly extreme example, but it's indicative of the game as a whole.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
It has great gameplay. I am extra sure of that since playing through it on Grounded. It's fluid and well designed. When you can't afford to take damage and have to use all mechanics pretty much flawlessly that becomes apparent. Bitching about gameplay is often that something doesn't work the particular way the player expects it to and instead of figuring out how the game actually works and responds it's chalked up to being bad. Far as stealth videogame mechanics go it's one of the tightest I've played.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
THe game IS a stealth game to me, stealth with crafting, judging encounters, planning and executing. With some panic induced moments of just GTFO or survive.

I love the gameplay.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Now if they were to start doing stuff like, randomly turning around and such, that would be a poor design choice.
You could get around that easily, if they react to sound you can throw a rock etc infront of them so they turn that way and then you won't risk having them randomly turn around when you're moving from cover to cover. Not knowing what they'll do would make stealth so much more interesting imo. There are already some dynamic elements in AC as you say, and I agree that it's deeper than in many other games, but it still shines through that the core stealth gameplay is essentially 8 bit Metalgear in higher resolution.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, whether or not it broke was seemingly random. Was there ever a way to determine whether or not it'd break?

The grounded playthrough really exposed just how often enemies genuinely are scripted to pop out of thin air in that game. Like the part where Ellie HAS to shoot a bullet at an enemy because canonically she did in the cutscene, or the part where the truck shows up, if you stealth through the first building, and get past the truck with stealth, the game will automatically spawn enemies as you walk into the next building, and those enemies are programmed to be aggroed and aware of you by default, because there HAS to be a chase sequence with the truck. Drove me crazy and I sincerely hope TLOU2 is nothing like that. Like, if I had a successful stealth run it should count damn it.
Head/neck shots, basically cleans kills, wasn't always guaranteed, but you have like a 70% chance of not losing your arrow from my experiences.

Scripted encounters exist, they aren't common though, but I too hope they have more scenarios in TLoU 2 if you sneak through an area, instead of butcher everyone or if you do. No pre-rended cut-scenes should help I hope. I remember the sniper being invisible really killing that encounter where you finally kill the jeep that's been chasing you for a couple hours for me, not so much anything else.

It's more than a few. And yes the spawns are predetermined, but there shouldn't be any spawns after the user enters an area. That is if it's a proper stealth game, which this isn't. The hotel basement for instance is a particularly extreme example, but it's indicative of the game as a whole.
Encounters existing to drain resources are perfectly acceptable in a stealth game like The Last of Us, they are in the minority though and make the stealthable encounter far more tense, due to always preventing you building up a decent supply.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
You could get around that easily, if they react to sound you can throw a rock etc infront of them so they turn that way and then you won't risk having them randomly turn around when you're moving from cover to cover. Not knowing what they'll do would make stealth so much more interesting imo.
Trust me, there is a reason why every single designer behind stealth including the creator of the genre himself doesn't just include random behaviors in their stealth games. It genuinely would break encounter design and lead to a ton of frustration for the player.

There are already some dynamic elements in AC as you say, and I aree that it's deeper than in many other games, but it still shines through that the core stealth gameplay is essentially 8 bit Metalgear in higher resolution.
Because being able to predict what the enemy will do is why the stealth genre works so well. You genuinely need that level of predictability and control.

Head/neck shots, basically cleans kills, wasn't always guaranteed, but you have like a 70% chance of not losing your arrow from my experiences.

Scripted encounters exist, they aren't common though, but I too hope they have more scenarios in TLoU 2 if you sneak through an area, instead of butcher everyone. No pre-rended cut-scenes should help I hope. I remember the sniper being invisible really killing that encounter where you finally kill the jeep that's been chasing you for a couple hours.
Hopefully.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Love the gameplay in TLOU, weapon sway and all. It's visceral and it matches the tone of the world perfectly. In most stealth games you feel like shit whenever you're caught but in TLOU it just ramps up the intensity and then the bottles start flying and you're forced to decide between that medkit or another smoke bomb. The stealth, gunplay, melee, and crafting system all work together beautifully and that's why TLOU online is one of the best multiplayer games I've ever played. It's right up there with Rainbow Six and SOCOM. I thoroughly enjoyed my first playthrough on normal but when the remastered version came out I played on hard with listening mode turned off and that felt perfect. Just a little bit more challenging without ever feeling cheap.

DarkStream

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the opening of the game.
I liked the ending of the game.

Everything in between was boring zombie stuff.
One of the few very popular games I can absolutely not get into.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
The stealth and fight-for-your-life tussles are just about the only thing resembling gameplay in TLOU.

Wait till you move planks around.

Ardend

Oct 27, 2017

Scripted encounters exist, they aren't common though, but I too hope they have more scenarios in TLoU 2 if you sneak through an area, instead of butcher everyone or if you do. No pre-rended cut-scenes should help I hope. I remember the sniper being invisible really killing that encounter where you finally kill the jeep that's been chasing you for a couple hours for me, not so much anything else.

Encounters existing to drain resources are perfectly acceptable in a stealth game like The Last of Us, they are in the minority though and make the stealthable encounter far more tense, due to always preventing you building up a decent supply.
Agreed, but have the enemies spawn in naturally, not popping up out of nowhere. Using the Hotel basement again, get next to the generator, face the empty room, activate sense mode and then start the generator. You see enemies pop into existence out of thin air behind the structures in the room. Instead they could have the heavy enemy (spacing on all the names here) that shows up in this sequence break through a wall letting the rest of the smaller ones in, or crashing through the narrow windows or better yet, have them all there already and make it seem like a stealth section but have it scripted to have part of the hotel collapse waking them all up. What they have in there now is essentially golden eye n64 level of enemy spawning.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Agreed, but have the enemies spawn in naturally, not popping up out of nowhere. Using the Hotel basement again, get next to the generator, face the empty room, activate sense mode and then start the generator. You see enemies pop into existence out of thin air behind the structures in the room. Instead they could have the heavy enemy (spacing on all the names here) that shows up in this sequence break through a wall letting the rest of the smaller ones in, or crashing through the narrow windows or better yet, have them all there already and make it seem like a stealth section but have it scripted to have part of the hotel collapse waking them all up. What they have in there now is essentially golden eye n64 level of enemy spawning.
Because it's suppose to be an ambush encounter, there is like what? 2 other encounter like it in the base game, one in the sewer with Joel and Sam and when you meets David (also when Joel gets stuck in a fridge trap, but it's like 1 minute long and you can't move. There's also the one where you car gets ambushed, but it's astealthable after the first kill ), so you can stop acting like it's common. A small group enemies are spawned by you picking up a keycard (well 1 is and directly behind you walking past the door, shooting it alerts a few others who also spawned with it but further away/out of sight ), starting the generator spawns a large wave who rush into the room a loud noise just came from. The Last of Us is also a horror game, it'll have horror elements as well as stealth.

Last edited:

Ardend

Oct 27, 2017
Because it's suppose to be an ambush encounter, there is like what? 2 other encounter like it in the base game, one in the sewer with Joel and Sam and when you meets David (also when Joel gets stuck in a fridge trap, but it's like 1 minute long and you can't move), so you can stop acting like it's common. A small group enemies are spawned by you picking up a keycard (well 1 is and directly behind you walking past the door, shooting it alerts a few others who also spawned with it but further away/out of sight ), starting the generator spawns a large wave who rush into the room a loud noise just came from. The Last of Us is also a horror game, it'll have horror elements as well as stealth.
I think you're missing my point, it's not the purpose of the encounter it's how they implement it. Spawning enemies in out of thin air is just bad design. But I'm using that as an example of how they handle enemy spawns for the whole game. Again, fine for an action game, not for a stealth game. Place them in the environment so the player can plan their attack. When you have a sonar of sorts that lets you see what enemies are around, it's just bad design to have the enemies spawn in after you have "sonared" an area and it's clear. Especially when they pop up in spots where enemies couldn't be naturally.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I think you're missing my point, it's not the purpose of the encounter it's how they implement it. Spawning enemies in out of thin air is just bad design. But I'm using that as an example of how they handle enemy spawns for the whole game. Again, fine for an action game, not for a stealth game. Place them in the environment so the player can plan their attack. When you have a sonar of sorts that lets you see what enemies are around, it's just bad design to have the enemies spawn in after you have "sonared" an area and it's clear. Especially when they pop up in spots where enemies couldn't be naturally.
Disable the sonar vision if it bothers you, it kills the tension in the stealth anyway, makes little sense given the setting and is disabled by default on Hard+ for a reason.
Stealth games aren't limited solely to stealth encounters either, the best ones usually spice it up some even, ambush encounters aren't stealthable usually, you can sorta go into stealth mode, but the game will cheat you at some point in those encounters, there is multiple fully stealth encounters, which enemies with set placements and routes in the gam too. The best stealth games are ones that force you to think on your feet too, not let you mark and get constant updates on their exact location of who you tag, with wall hacks and instant kill/takedown silent weapons. Though that might be me getting a little elitest, I'm not a big fan of all the cheats stealth games give you, especially not nowadays, which is pretty much Far Cry 3 stealth, which I enjoy (I fucking love MGS5, which does that), but it's not for slowly taking out a room, but chaining takedowns and clearing an encounter as fast as possible.

Last edited:

RAWcolour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I don't get the praise this game gets at all. Unless you don't consume any other media other than video games the story is nothing to write home about. The gameplay doesn't feel great so as a video game it's not doing anything for me.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, even with an ambush encounter, enemies not making a single sound and then suddenly spawning out of thin air is very weird. There's a reason we see very little of that in games this gen.
Sure, but it's not a game from this gen. TLoU cheats, especially in that horror focused or ambush encounters, it is not the norm though, as I've went over in another post. That person is acting like it is. There's more encounters where there's x amount of people and all you need to do is get from X to Y, than there is ones like the hotel basement. Both have a place.

Ardend

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but it's not a game from this gen. TLoU cheats, especially in that horror focused or ambush encounters, it is not the norm though, as I've went over in another post. That person is acting like it is. There's more encounters where there's x amount of people and all you need to do is get from X to Y, than there is ones like the hotel basement. Both have a place.
Sonar just let me see the issue, it wasn't itself the issue. I was using the ambush encounter as a quick example of how the game spawns in enemies. But it does this all over the place, including stealth encounters. The there's an area where you pass through what look like security checkpoints that leads to a sequence in some abandoned buildings with multiple floors that ends when you exit a building from the second floor back door into an alley of sorts. That whole thing is a stealth section and yet you can walk it with sonar on and watch as cleared areas ahead of you suddenly spawn in enemies out of thin air behind walls. It's not just ambush encounters. And yes it's not a current gen game, but it's also not an N64 game which is where this type of enemy spawning would be more expected (golden eye). I get the sense the developers themselves don't think of it as a stealth game and as such didn't examine how other games handle this as they could have easily built the game around it if they wanted to.

All of this is just to say that I hope they fix it in part 2. It was disappointing to see and deal with in the first one, but maybe we're too far along in the engine and design to have corrected it even if it had been pointed out to them. Hopefully it's a non issue in part 2.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Sonar just let me see the issue, it wasn't itself the issue. I was using the ambush encounter as a quick example of how the game spawns in enemies. But it does this all over the place, including stealth encounters. The there's an area where you pass through what look like security checkpoints that leads to a sequence in some abandoned buildings with multiple floors that ends when you exit a building from the second floor back door into an alley of sorts. That whole thing is a stealth section and yet you can walk it with sonar on and watch as cleared areas ahead of you suddenly spawn in enemies out of thin air behind walls. It's not just ambush encounters. And yes it's not a current gen game, but it's also not an N64 game which is where this type of enemy spawning would be more expected (golden eye). I get the sense the developers themselves don't think of it as a stealth game and as such didn't examine how other games handle this as they could have easily built the game around it if they wanted to.

All of this is just to say that I hope they fix it in part 2. It was disappointing to see and deal with in the first one, but maybe we're too far along in the engine and design to have corrected it even if it had been pointed out to them. Hopefully it's a non issue in part 2.
Wait, you are complaining that it loads in enemies in areas you haven't actually cleared yet? And used an ambush encounter where they very intentionally spawn enemies due to character actions with a predetermine trigger point for horror reasons as an example of how they do it mid stealth encounters? Which they very rarely do, just a couple of scripted times due to story reasons. It was a game which brought the platform it was made for to it's limits, you never thought the don't spawn unnecessary stuff until you will actually interact with it?

Ardend

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, you are complaining that it loads in enemies in areas you haven't actually cleared yet? And used an ambush encounter where they very intentionally spawn enemies due to character actions with a predetermine trigger point for horror reasons as an example of how they do it mid stealth encounters? Which they very rarely do, just a couple of scripted times due to story reasons. It was a game which brought the platform it was made for to it's limits, you never thought the don't spawn unnecessary stuff until you will actually interact with it?
Let me use metal gear as an example. In the modern games you had sonar/radar telling where enemies were and in some even the direction they are facing, even though you hadn't gotten to that next room or hallway. Now imagine you stealthily take out those enemies and new ones then pop up on the radar in the same area you just cleared. That's what I am talking about. It's not about the fact that they spawn in ahead of me, it's that they spawn in at all instead of being in the world when I arrive. It's something metal gear handles very well, either by having new enemies drop in from a helicopter or come in on a Jeep, not just popping up out of the ground. At least when they come in from outside you can see where they are coming from and plan accordingly. When the spawn in around the corner or behind you, not so much. Your hotel example of the key card is a good one. Yes it's an ambush event. But if you go up to the key card, you can actually rotate the camera in a way to where you can still grab the card and watch the doorway behind you. When you grab the card you see an enemy literally appear out of thin air in the hall outside the doorway, no sonar needed. They can still have an ambush event and have the enemies enter the area in believable but ambushy ways.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Let me use metal gear as an example. In the modern games you had sonar/radar telling where enemies were and in some even the direction they are facing, even though you hadn't gotten to that next room or hallway. Now imagine you stealthily take out those enemies and new ones then pop up on the radar in the same area you just cleared. That's what I am talking about. It's not about the fact that they spawn in ahead of me, it's that they spawn in at all instead of being in the world when I arrive. It's something metal gear handles very well, either by having new enemies drop in from a helicopter or come in on a Jeep, not just popping up out of the ground. At least when they come in from outside you can see where they are coming from and plan accordingly. When the spawn in around the corner or behind you, not so much. Your hotel example of the key card is a good one. Yes it's an ambush event. But if you go up to the key card, you can actually rotate the camera in a way to where you can still grab the card and watch the doorway behind you. When you grab the card you see an enemy literally appear out of thin air in the hall outside the doorway, no sonar needed. They can still have an ambush event and have the enemies enter the area in believable but ambushy ways.
Most Metal Gear Solid games all loads between areas and spawns enemies if you get spotted from no where, justified as you said them coming in from some where else, TLoU doesn't do that, enemies don't get reinforcements if they spot you, they do all immediately know exactly where you are, but they don't spawn in more on you too, you just entered a different encounter and the game seemlessly loads, like all ND games on the PS3.
Also, the entire lead up to the keycard in the basement is building to that enemy jumpscaring you, it's filled with sounds implying it's stalking you, the enemy is a stalker stage infected too, MGS has plenty of scripted events like it, especially when it goes for more horror focused stuff, it has nothing to do with stealth it's intentionally done, sure it's immersion breaking, but so is listen mode.

Ardend

Oct 27, 2017
Most Metal Gear Solid games all loads between areas and spawns enemies if you get spotted from no where, justified as you said them coming in from some where else, TLoU doesn't do that, enemies don't get reinforcements if they spot you, they do all immediately know exactly where you are, but they don't spawn in more on you too, you just entered a different encounter and the game seemlessly loads, like all ND games on the PS3.
Also, the entire lead up to the keycard in the basement is building to that enemy jumpscaring you, it's filled with sounds implying it's stalking you, the enemy is a stalker stage infected too, MGS has plenty of scripted events like it, especially when it goes for more horror focused stuff, it has nothing to do with stealth it's intentionally done, sure it's immersion breaking, but so is listen mode.
Oh they definitely spawn more enemies on you in the same area. Take the area where Ellie is covering you with a sniper. The listen mode range is enough to cover that whole space so you can clearly see all enemies and can plan out how to tackle them. If you manage to stealthily take out all of the enemies, a new group spawns into the map out of thin air. Here's a vid. This run I somehow had it to where the final enemy and newly spawned enemies were in the same area. There is no defending this:
Hardware limits aren't an excuse, it's a late gen ps3 game and naughty dog had that hardware down more than anyone. And Kojima had this solved on ps2 hardware.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Huhhhh I've never had the AI partner(s) break out of stealth to start a fight. In like 10 playthroughs total.

Thankfully they always wait for you to be detected before doing anything (that isn't stealth kills)

Ardend

Oct 27, 2017
Huhhhh I've never had the AI partner(s) break out of stealth to start a fight. In like 10 playthroughs total.

Thankfully they always wait for you to be detected before doing anything (that isn't stealth kills)
In this vid it wasn't the AI partner, it was just that the game spawned new enemies literally on top of me and I was instantly spotted. I don't hate the game, quite the opposite. It's just that when it does so many things right, the things it does wrong are glaring.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Oh they definitely spawn more enemies on you in the same area. Take the area where Ellie is covering you with a sniper. The listen mode range is enough to cover that whole space so you can clearly see all enemies and can plan out how to tackle them. If you manage to stealthily take out all of the enemies, a new group spawns into the map out of thin air. Here's a vid. This run I somehow had it to where the final enemy and newly spawned enemies were in the same area. There is no defending this:
Hardware limits aren't an excuse, it's a late gen ps3 game and naughty dog had that hardware down more than anyone. And Kojima had this solved on ps2 hardware.
That not a stealth encounter, you have to kill all those enemies and more spawn in as you do so, it's not possible to stealth it. Are you going to use the encounter where you meet David as another example next? A clear wave mode encounter.
Look up how much they had to micro manage the systems memory if you think hardware limitations weren't a factor. MGS games didn't solve anything as I already went over, you literally load constantly into every area, which spawns the enemies. TLoU has zero visible loading screens between areas once you are in control, it's all hidden.

Last edited:

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
In this vid it wasn't the AI partner, it was just that the game spawned new enemies literally on top of me and I was instantly spotted. I don't hate the game, quite the opposite. It's just that when it does so many things right, the things it does wrong are glaring.

No I was referring to the OP, not your post.

The game does have some silly occurrences like this that aren't tied to hardware limitations. The game wants you to engage the enemies (Ellie has to fire her rifle otherwise the previous cutscene doesn't make sense), you shouldn't even have managed to stealth kill all of them.
Were you able to replicate this ? It could be a bug.

Ardend

Oct 27, 2017
That not a stealth encounter, you have to kill all those enemies and more spawn in as you do so, it's not possible to stealth it. Are you going to use the encounter where you meet David as another example next? A clear wave mode encounter.
Except that it is possible, I've done it many times. Just had to get used to the fact that new ones spawn in and take them out too. The game doesn't advertise what type of encounter is up next, and for the most part the whole game is geared towards stealth, so saying it was meant to be a certain encounter type after the fact is pointless. And again, to be clear, it's not about the intent of the encounter it's how they implement it. Have more guys come in, fine, but do it elegantly. I'm not sure how you can defend them just spawning them in like it's a test environment. But it's clear you can't separate the method of adding new enemies from the encounter type so I'll leave it be. My point has been made, I think others get it, and I'll just hope they have improved it for part 2.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Except that it is possible, I've done it many times. Just had to get used to the fact that new ones spawn in and take them out too. The game doesn't advertise what type of encounter is up next, and for the most part the whole game is geared towards stealth, so saying it was meant to be a certain encounter type after the fact is pointless. And again, to be clear, it's not about the intent of the encounter it's how they implement it. Have more guys come in, fine, but do it elegantly. I'm not sure how you can defend them just spawning them in like it's a test environment. But it's clear you can't separate the method of adding new enemies from the encounter type so I'll leave it be. My point has been made, I think others get it, and I'll just hope they have improved it for part 2.
Except it isn't after the fact, you are locked into that arena until you kill everyone and a new wave spawns pretty consistently based on how many you kill in the arena. The basement encounter starts with enemies immediately aggro'd on to you, because it was a ambush encounter. The stealth encounters are much more open then both and are fully populated, with A.I on set routes and you can clear them by just getting to the exit, you don't have to kill any one usually, some have scripted enemies, like a really easy one to see is when you are getting pinned down by the sniper with Sam and Henry, the Sniper is invisible until you go into his house and trigger the cutscene where you kill him and use his sniper to cover Ellie, Sam and Henry. I've said from the start the game cheats. You've not said how it's not actually a stealth game, you were saying how it spawns enemies into areas you haven't cleared or only just got to and the only way you know is because listen mode shows it happening.

Ardend

Oct 27, 2017
Except it isn't after the fact, you are locked into that arena until you kill everyone and a new wave spawns pretty consistently based on how many you kill in the arena. The basement encounter starts with enemies immediately aggro'd on to you, because it was a ambush encounter. The stealth encounters are much more open then both and are fully populated, with A.I on set routes and you can clear them by just getting to the exit, you don't have to kill any one usually, some have scripted enemies, like a really easy one to see is when you are getting pinned down by the sniper with Sam and Henry, the Sniper is invisible until you go into his house and trigger the cutscene where you kill him and use his sniper to cover Ellie, Sam and Henry. I've said from the start the game cheats. You've not said how it's not actually a stealth game, you were saying how it spawns enemies into areas you haven't cleared or only just got to and the only way you know is because listen mode shows it happening.
As I said, I'm not talking about the encounter types, I was giving examples of times where it's easy to see them spawn out of thin air . I already gave an example of a stealth area with the security checkpoint section. You can kill all of the enemies outside, use listen mode which has a range to see well into the abandoned buildings you have to go into to see no more enemies are around, then walk closer to the building and they spawn in right in side the building well within listen mode range, and they spawn close to whatever side of the building you try and enter. So you can't discover they spawn on one side and try from the other because they just spawn in on that side instead. Unless you have a creative name for that type of encounter too?

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
As I said, I'm not talking about the encounter types, I was giving examples of times where it's easy to see them spawn out of thin air . I already gave an example of a stealth area with the security checkpoint section. You can kill all of the enemies outside, use listen mode which has a range to see well into the abandoned buildings you have to go into to see no more enemies are around, then walk closer to the building and they spawn in right in side the building well within listen mode range, and they spawn close to whatever side of the building you try and enter. So you can't discover they spawn on one side and try from the other because they just spawn in on that side instead. Unless you have a creative name for that type of encounter too?
Except you are, because you keep using them as examples or MGS for some reason, despite it literally loading each individual area you enter, the exception being a open world game that as a long load every time you fly in to the map as examples of them constantly spawning enemies on you.
Also I believe that's called loading, it's a crazy concept I know.

Maeros

Dec 21, 2017
I'm glad I got the game for free because I gave up after an hour or two. Gameplay didn't do it for me, and the graphics and cutscenes didn't have the wow-factor they must have had last gen. Maybe the characters and story would have grown on me had I continued, but I didn't want to put in even more hours to find out.

What stood out to me though that it's just a game. Like, sure, of course it's just a game. But with all the praise and super high review scores, I was expecting something truly special. Instead it's just a game, and in some ways not even a very good one.

I dont think you are able to make that conclusion. Since you did not continue the game. When you get immerseded into the game most people playing would agree i imagine that it feels more like a expierence then a game.

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I'll just paste what I had from another thread, but I'm mostly with you:

The game is great, but I have an issue with the gameplay. It's presented, especially on Survivor, as a stealth game primarily due to the amount of enemies and lack of ammo. But the game breaks that style of game by not having the enemies placed in the environment in advance as you play through them. Enemies literally spawn in behind walls, monster closet style, all over the place, making it hard to plan your way through.

A perfect example of this is under the hotel. You walk into an area with one entrance and no immediate exit since the entrance collapses after you pass through. You can explore this little area FOREVER with no enemy encounters, and no real way for them to get into the area you are in. That is until you activate one of two things you need to do to exit that area where suddenly the area is filled with enemies that literally pop up out of no where.

In another area in the game, I managed to completely stealth kill all enemies in the area and the game literally started freaking out popping up new enemies in random places in plain site.

And lastly, and this might just be on Survivor, but you can literally ruin your stealth run when doing the "end of this area's available enemies" stealth take down kill on an enemy if that take down is the one that flips the enemy on his back, thus allowing him to see you just as you kill him. You don't have control over which stealth kill you get, so to have that happen after a tedious stealth section is ridiculous.

I really hope they fix these issues for 2 now that the game is built from the ground up on PS4 and not hampered by the limitations that the PS3 version had, or the PS4 port did for being based on the PS3 version.
I agree with a lot of this. Enemy spawning / monster closets / obvious combat arenas have always been the biggest flaw with Naughty Dog games. Hopefully TLOU2 fixes this.

Oct 29, 2017
The most unfortunate thing about the game though? Actually playing it. As in, the second I actually go from cutscene to gameplay, I immediately get disinterested.

Anyone else feel similarly?

Yeah, I feel the exact same way. Loved the story, amazing voice performances, totally immersed in the world, but I just got so tired of playing it. I just don't like stealthy, craft-tools-from-junk gameplay. And the one hit kill clickers, even on the easiest difficulty? No. Your easy mode has failed if it still has enemies who can one-shot you.

Ardend

Oct 27, 2017
Except you are, because you keep using them as examples or MGS for some reason, despite it literally loading each individual area you enter, the exception being a open world game that as a long load every time you fly in to the map as examples of them constantly spawning enemies on you.
Also I believe that's called loading, it's a crazy concept I know.
I was using examples of how the game spawns enemies into the play field out of thin air, which has no place in a stealth game in my opinion. You were the one that started dismissing my examples as encounters that aren't stealth encounters, so I guess for those it's ok to spawn them out of thin air? And I used MGS as an example of a game that doesn't spawn them into the play field out of thin air, and that's all I used MGS for. So I think you are confused on what my original point was so I'll make it clear. In my opinion, in any play field in a stealth game, all enemies should be present in the environment unless they are brought in by alarm or are loaded in so far ahead of the player that it doesn't matter. Any new enemies should be added in a believable way, not sprouting out of the ground. I should be able to determine an area is clear of enemies with whatever tools the game provides to do so, and not have enemies subsequently appear out of nowhere in said area. I don't see how this isn't the best way a stealth game should handle this, and many games do it just fine.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I feel the exact same way. Loved the story, amazing voice performances, totally immersed in the world, but I just got so tired of playing it. I just don't like stealthy, craft-tools-from-junk gameplay. And the one hit kill clickers, even on the easiest difficulty? No. Your easy mode has failed if it still has enemies who can one-shot you.
If you have a shiv, you always should on easy, because you get so much supplies, they don't 1 hit kill you.
I was using examples of how the game spawns enemies into the play field out of thin air, which has no place in a stealth game in my opinion. You were the one that started dismissing my examples as encounters that aren't stealth encounters, so I guess for those it's ok to spawn them out of thin air? And I used MGS as an example of a game that doesn't spawn them into the play field out of thin air, and that's all I used MGS for. So I think you are confused on what my original point was so I'll make it clear. In my opinion, in any play field in a stealth game, all enemies should be present in the environment unless they are brought in by alarm or are loaded in so far ahead of the player that it doesn't matter. Any new enemies should be added in a believable way, not sprouting out of the ground. I should be able to determine an area is clear of enemies with whatever tools the game provides to do so, only to have enemies subsequently appear out of nowhere in said area. I don't see how this isn't the best way a stealth game should handle this, and many games do it just fine.
You've gave 1 example of thin air, most spawn out of sight or run into the arena (including the arena where you had a single enemy spawn in sight), you using built in wall hacks to see stuff spawning in out of sight means nothing and doesn't matter either, it almost never actually affects stealth, you entering a new area and it loading stuff in means nothing either, those section likely still look like they are from a PS1 whilst it's happening. Your original example was also essentially an alarm, you changed it after I told you as much, you then said areas you hadn't even cleared as an example, before changing again.