• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
So I've been hearing about the Trails games forever, but I hadn't looked into which formats to get them on. People say the Sky games are better, but they're not on a portable format around here and Cold Steel I&II were really cheap on PSN recently so I grabbed them both for Vita. It turns out these games are great for portable playing, I can sneak in 30 minutes before bedtime or some time here and there.

I've only gotten to the second town so it's early yet, but it's fairly likable so far. The characters are all trope-y, but there seems to be more to them. I just hope I can avoid the obvious "here's Alisa, she'll be your girlfriend but first she'll hate you for falling on her boobs" thing. The graphics are pretty nice although they're cutting a ton of corners on animation and camera work. Overall it does have that Suikoden feeling, with tons of NPC:s doing their thing and having lots to talk about. There's also all kinds of neat cooperation attacks and plenty of systems to deal with.

Question: The tutorial hasn't explained this yet or I missed it in an info-dump. What's the purpose of the unlockable slots? They are divided into coloured sections and also some of them have an icon to the right AND some have coloured slots. Does this affect what skills I should place into them? Seems like a pretty basic Materia-style system if so.

Although there is some Suikoden in this, I feel it's more of a fantasy Persona game. The setting is a VERY thinly veiled Japanese high-school but in a fantasy world, and you have the calendar moving along, and raising attunements by spending time with specific characters, and a randomized dungeon at the school, and getting an advantage by striking the enemy before the battle, and triggering auto-assist attacks, and generally having a good gameplay speed.

For now the voices are fine in English, although I can't wait to be able to drop Elliott and Alisa. Will probably use Laura, Gaius and Emma as far as the game lets me. What really makes the game shine is the music. I know Falcom are great composers, but this game is amazing. Every single track is a treat!

Since I don't have a Switch game to play right now, I'm making good progress on this. I fear that Octopath Traveler might edge it out this summer though. Either way, I hope it keeps up!

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
In my case, I usually keep Elliott in my party as the designated healer and spellcaster. Laura is the heavy hitter and Fie the debuff character.

Anyways, enjoy it OP. Trails of Cold Steel is great game with a great combat system; in fact, that's the part I'm always looking for.

As for your question, there are different quartz you can use. Most of the slots to add them are generic, but other ones require a specific type of quartz. On top of that, there are some some quartz that can only be applied if the slot has some upgrades. Let's say you have a red slot; you can only insert red quartz in there. But wait, there is a quartz that has two golden bars on the right; well, you need to upgrade that slot two times before you can put it in there.

Namyu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing series. Cold Steel is great but Sky is the real crowning achievement for me personally, I feel the former got way too anime and the visuals are just awful compared to the latter. Still well worth playing though

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why would anyone drop the voice of sanity in the team, aka Elliot, in favor of the absolute nothingness that is Gaius is beyond me.

Thoraxes

Oct 25, 2017
Gehenna
Glad to see you're enjoying it, and I hope you have more fun with it.
As for the characters, they start simple like that, but grow a ton by the end of the first two games, and grow even more beyond that. The story goes some amazing places by the end too. Be sure to take your time and enjoy the world, as this first game is great at getting you to all the locales and sampling the Erebonian culture. Also if you didn't know, after every "major" story beat, the NPC dialogue for anywhere you can travel to changes, so there's always new things to hear from everyone about town, and that helps give you more context to the cultures of each city you visit.

The game does a good job forcing you to go through all kinds of party compositions too, so although you may have your favorites, it's pretty fun getting to explore all of the different combinations and characters.

And heeeeeelllllll yeah to the music.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Although there is some Suikoden in this, I feel it's more of a fantasy Persona game. The setting is a VERY thinly veiled Japanese high-school but in a fantasy world, and you have the calendar moving along, and raising attunements by spending time with specific characters, and a randomized dungeon at the school, and getting an advantage by striking the enemy before the battle, and triggering auto-assist attacks, and generally having a good gameplay speed.
The dungeon element isn't new to Falcom games, but I agree that its implementation here smacks of Tartarus. Field attack advantages have existed since Zero no Kiseki from 2010, but entering battles from behind enemies has given advantage since Trails in the Sky FC in 2004, so I'm not sure how much of the change is due to Atlus influences or the designers naturally expanding on these mechanics. The Suikoden-ish feel of these games comes from their NPCs, socio-political scope/themes/details, and series-wide world-building; all this coexists with parts derived from or inspired by Persona.

Last edited:

preta

Oct 25, 2017
The schoolhouse isn't randomized at all, though. It's all hand-crafted, it just doesn't have very varied assets.

Suzushiiro

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
The unlockable slots are just for putting more quartz in, for the most part, though there are rules regarding the lines and colors that you occasionally have to worry about later on with certain high-level quartz. IIRC early on I spend most of my unrefined quartz on opening slots in the early games and didn't bother spending them on actual quartz to put in them until later since I had plenty to throw in there from quests/drops/chests, though it's been a couple of years since I played CS1 so I'm not 100% on that.

One of the cool things you may have noticed about the "social link" system is that unlike Persona the stuff that happens in those events happens even if you choose to hang out with someone else- each character's social link story goes on with or without you and you can just choose to jump in midway if you want. The level of detail they put into the world, NPCs, and so on overall is kind of insane.

But yeah, this game is great, CS2 is great, and I'm still terrible and need to get around to playing the Sky trilogy.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Errr. The dungeon in Trails of Cold Steel is randomized? It seemed the same in all my playthroughs.

P.S. Game is great. Talk to the NPCs throughout the game. Follow their stories.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I've also been going through Trails of Cold Steel on Vita recently and the combat system is a blast.

Just about half way through Chapter 3 and it just gets better and better. The characters definitely start off tropey but there's more to them that gets revealed as the game progresses.

Its a bit of a slow burn but the characters are likeable enough and the combat is so fun that I keep wanting to go back.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
As you play more into the game you'll eventually realize you'll never not want Alisa on your team. Alisa is freaking broken just for her sheer usefulness. She has the third highest ATS stat for magic (only Elliot and Emma beat her and not by much and the difference can be made up via accessories), her master quartz is just nuts being able to revive her if she dies (twice at level 5) and it'll give her CP, shes the only character that can generally prevent a wipe from some of the more devastating attacks later in the game. On top of that her Crafts are stupidly amazing. Two of them restore CP which towards the end of the game the best way to take down bosses is S-breaking as much as possible and when you've got a character that can continuously restore CP in one way or another theres just no beating how broken she could be. Elliot is nice for resounding beat (makes it damn well near impossible to kill you early on) and him and Emma both have some nice crafts but Alisa is the best support character in both CS1 and CS2 and by a huuuuge margin.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
I recently went back to CS1 and Platinum'ed it. Such a great game. Lovely characters, engaging combat system, and incredible world-building. Those final chapters, man.

Errr. The dungeon in Trails of Cold Steel is randomized? It seemed the same in all my playthroughs.

P.S. Game is great. Talk to the NPCs throughout the game. Follow their stories.
They're not randomized.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I really loved CS 1 & 2 despite some cheesey cliched stuff. The story gets really good towards the end of the first game though it is slow getting there. As others have said, the music is just fantastic and liked the voice acting for the most part.

Cold Steel actually got me into Falcoms games. Played several YS titles since and I'm working through Tokyo Xanadu Ex+ now.

Barrylocke

Oct 25, 2017
As for your question, there are different quartz you can use. Most of the slots to add them are generic, but other ones require a specific type of quartz. On top of that, there are some some quartz that can only be applied if the slot has some upgrades. Let's say you have a red slot; you can only insert red quartz in there. But wait, there is a quartz that has two golden bars on the right; well, you need to upgrade that slot two times before you can put it in there.

The part about upgrading slots isn't a thing until Cold Steel 2. In Cold Steel 1, the only restriction is the quartz element (IE Red Quartz in Red Slots). Otherwise you can use even the most powerful quartz in a slot without issue. The thing that holds you back is opening the slots in the first place.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I was thinking of starting those but then I found out there's a lot of games in that series.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Cold Steel 1/2 are still great, but like others said - do play the Sky trilogy! The 3rd has probably my favorite conclusion to a game, ever. Then Zero/Ao no Kiseki just make it better.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
You can play Trails in the Sky 1 and 2 on Vita, btw. I want to start playing the series as well...

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Sky duology is definitely better, but Cold Steel has its charms. It's a fun ride, despite my problems with the plot.
Trails in the Sky is pretty overrated. Not sure if it's because its a lot of peoples first entry into the Trails series or just their love for Joshua and Estelle but I hate the combat compared to Cold Steel and it's not really anything spectacular. Also the music isn't that great either. I don't get it.

Deleted member 9746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Trails in the Sky is pretty overrated. Not sure if it's because its a lot of peoples first entry into the Trails series or just their love for Joshua and Estelle but I hate the combat compared to Cold Steel and it's not really anything spectacular. Also the music isn't that great either. I don't get it.
Both series are heavily inspired by anime tropes, it just so happens that the tropes in 2004 are very different from the ones in 2013.

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I was thinking of starting those but then I found out there's a lot of games in that series.
it is a big commitment but because of the large scope the pay off also is very strong time after time again. I'd give them a shot, the ambition of a series with such a large intertwined scope is unique as far as i know.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
it is a big commitment but because of the large scope the pay off also is very strong time after time again. I'd give them a shot, the ambition of a series with such a large intertwined scope is unique as far as i know.

Yeah, I am definitely interested and started the very first one but they were throwing some systems at me which I wasn't prepared for haha.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Yeah, I am definitely interested and started the very first one but they were throwing some systems at me which I wasn't prepared for haha.
Nothing in these games will punish you too hard for not figuring the systems. In terms of combat, something like Orbment configuration or managing craft points and the turn bar comes naturally (though the Sky games have more complex spells which will complicate how you arrange your characters' orbments for spell variety and stat buffs). The bonding system in Cold Steel is easy to grasp, and thankfully you can either cheat past the bond-point restriction or watch all the scenes on YouTube. Really the hardest commitment in this series remains talking to all NPCs multiple times per plot beat, which leads to talking with each individual NPC multiple times every time you're back in town to see new text or to find that hidden side-quest which may or may not relate something significant about the world.

Thankfully, there's room to do the above better in repeat playthroughs. The games have room for self-pacing.

Barrylocke

Oct 25, 2017
The combat system stuff is about the level of learning any old new jrpgs combat system, and the nice thing is that the basic system carries over from game to game with only a few new wrinkles or changes thrown in.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
I think you mean Fie :P
Nah I mean Alisa at least over Emma and Elliot. Fie is great though as is Laura, thats why I generally have my party as Rean/Alisa/Laura/Fie its the perfect party imo.

The plot and the characters are better. That's why.
Not in FC. SC is where almost all of the character development and growth actually happens. FC is pretty boring with very little character development, you barely learn a thing about any of the characters in FC its almost all in SC. Thats one of many things that makes SC an outstanding game (and easily the overall best of the series up until Sen III) but FC really could have used some of that. For as much crap as the Cold Steel games get about tropey characters or slow plot progression FC is just as bad if not worse. At least Cold Steel actually develops its main cast, FC doesn't have hardly any development for any of the supporting characters at all (its all in SC) and even Estelle and Joshua don't really see much of any development until the very end of the game and even then it pales in comparison to the development they get in SC. Cold Steel on the other hand develops almost all of its main characters and it has a much larger cast then FC did.

Again, SC is fantastic and I completely understand why people love it so much (as well as Third) but FC just isn't very good.

sanhora

Oct 25, 2017
You sometimes see this argument but I've never understood why it would be an issue.

If you enjoy something, isn't it great that there's still 6+ games left after you've finished the first one? It's like a good series of books or TV that you can really get immersed in and enjoy over a long period of time.
It's not like you have to binge it all in one week or month, go at your own pace.

Do people decide to not watch Game of Thrones because it's seven or however many seasons long?

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Nah I mean Alisa at least over Emma and Elliot. Fie is great though as is Laura, thats why I generally have my party as Rean/Alisa/Laura/Fie its the perfect party imo.

Not in FC. SC is where almost all of the character development and growth actually happens. FC is pretty boring with very little character development, you barely learn a thing about any of the characters in FC its almost all in SC. Thats one of many things that makes SC an outstanding game (and easily the overall best of the series up until Sen III) but FC really could have used some of that. For as much crap as the Cold Steel games get about tropey characters or slow plot progression FC is just as bad if not worse. At least Cold Steel actually develops its main cast, FC doesn't have hardly any development for any of the supporting characters at all (its all in SC) and even Estelle and Joshua don't really see much of any development until the very end of the game and even then it pales in comparison to the development they get in SC. Cold Steel on the other hand develops almost all of its main characters and it has a much larger cast then FC did.

Again, SC is fantastic and I completely understand why people love it so much (as well as Third) but FC just isn't very good.

I guess that might explain it, since I only played like an hour of SC and my distaste for FC just carried on so hard that I couldn't take it anymore and decided to play other games. I might go back to SC again eventually but it's so hard for me to want to when the combat isn't very fun.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash

Oh I was talking about Sky in general, I agree with you that FC is subpar compared to other games in the series.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
I guess that might explain it, since I only played like an hour of SC and my distaste for FC just carried on so hard that I couldn't take it anymore and decided to play other games. I might go back to SC again eventually but it's so hard for me to want to when the combat isn't very fun.
The fast forward feature makes the Sky games infinitely more playable. The combat is way to slow without it, I couldn't even play through FC until it had that. SC is legit great though, all of the characters get development and theres a lot of new ones as well.

Kitsune86

Nov 25, 2017
This thread just reminded me that I still need to get on the Trials series. Thanks for the reminder OP :D

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
I'll keep it as a duology (with some forgettable omake) in this head.
I couldn't call it forgettable if I tried. Star Door 15 makes sure of that at the least. But even early on, you have a great action-packed intro and intrigue going on up through to the second plane in Phantasma, only slowing down by the sixth with all its boss fights (and, even then, not by much).

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Played them both on PS3 in late 2016/early 2017

One of the best JRPG series'

My girlfriend really enjoyed watching me play them as well

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
With that third game?...

I'll keep it as a duology (with some forgettable omake) in this head.

3rd isn't that much better than the other two. :P

But yeah, CS1 and 2 are alright. I don't think I'd have been able to see them through if not for the Sky trilogy, but unfortunately the most of payoff from the connections are yet to come (I guess they start in CS3). Most of the characters don't really go anywhere in CS1 but get better in 2. Could kind of say the same thing about the entire story though.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
The characters will dip in and out of quality like that. It can get maddening, especially for Rean and Alisa and relationships between heavily connected characters (Sara & Fie).

NFpLOQu.png

The Estelle and Joshua of the Prologue are very different Estelle and Joshua by the end boss, much less THAT end.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
You sometimes see this argument but I've never understood why it would be an issue.

If you enjoy something, isn't it great that there's still 6+ games left after you've finished the first one? It's like a good series of books or TV that you can really get immersed in and enjoy over a long period of time.
It's not like you have to binge it all in one week or month, go at your own pace.

Do people decide to not watch Game of Thrones because it's seven or however many seasons long?

Oh I didn't say it was an issue, I just didn't realise it went that far back.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017

I don't fully agree with this.
I mean yes, everything you say is basically correct, but I feel like it doesn't take into account the full context and repercussions of the way those games, stories and characters are designed.

Personally, I think Estelle is one of the very best protagonists in any JRPG ever. There are many reasons for that, and most of them have nothing to do with this discussion concerning the games' pacing. But the pacing and setup also plays a role. I think her characterization and character development works out so remarkably well at least in part because FC takes so much time to establish her initial perspective and circumstances before introducing the many small (and larger) factors that influence it.

Too many JRPGs (and games in general really, this is certainly not unique to JRPGs) basically follow the "(i) introduce character x, (ii) short characterization (likely tropey), (iii) life-changing event" structure.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Whats the best way to play the Sky trilogy? Is it on Vita? I saw the Steel series was but didn't think the Sky was...

PC versions are absolutely definitive, with a lot of improvements over the PSP versions. Localization improvements (especially significant for FC), SC not having sloppy disc swapping, turbo mode, etc. And the system requirements are extremely low, so the only reason to go with PSP is if portability is a necessity.

3rd is also PC exclusive in English.

Deleted member 2585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whats the best way to play the Sky trilogy? Is it on Vita? I saw the Steel series was but didn't think the Sky was...

You can play Sky FC and SC on PC, PSP, and Vita. 3rd is available only on PC.

The best way to play the games is on PC (they can run on a toaster): XSEED has patched the PC version several times, fixing minor bugs and typos, updating the localization to be more consistent, and even adding more features like Turbo mode (which is really a godsend). Also, if you want to play the full trilogy you'll have to play 3rd on PC.