ATOMICJORGE

Oct 25, 2017
TWqZlCt.png

HAH7Fng.png

Machinima Network used to be on the past the best gaming network for gaming content creators on YouTube but that is just history over the years they had gained tons of bad reputation about stealing money treating the YouTuber's terrible and not allowing them to leave, after 6 years working with them they simply told me my channel no longer meets their requirements search on Twitter and other social media this is happening to a LOT of channels!

I have been working very hard every single day for the past 8 years recording, editing, creating over 1700 videos / live streams / content on YouTube investing ton of money and time all of this to simply say I don't qualify anymore

I know some people think what we do is not working and I don't blame you some people are trash I'm talking about people who use clickbait stuff who are lazy and really don't create quality content but believe me when I say I put my soul on my channel and community YouTube was my main way to make a living, thanks to my channel I have made lots of friendship and business relationships with people on the gaming industry and now it's gone, I can't believe it sorry for the rant it's just that I have been having problems recently and this came out of nowhere

P.S
just in case some asks my channel generates 600k views per month I have 176k subscribers and over 30 million total views so that thing "no longer meet the requirements" it's false, I guess I should be happy it's very hard to get out of their network still this sucks a lot

04IjDDR.png

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Damn. Sorry to hear about that.

This whole situation has gotten out of control.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
What's your youtube channel? If it'll help I'll watch some of your videos tonight.

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
Hasn't Machinima been behind some shady practices involving YouTube contracts in the past? It might be a blessing in disguise.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
If you can afford it, I wouldn't upload anything for a month and let them make money from you.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
And that's not enough views to make money on your own?

I don't know the ins and outs of youtube content creation.

Nov 3, 2017
BS-X
I gave you a sub as a show of support.

You're a channel with 176k subs who makes videos that easily get over a thousand views in a day. As a fellow YouTuber I envy that kinda regular support. If someone like you is not considered worth Machinima's time, it makes me wonder where exactly they're going - are they dropping channels based on kinds of videos, or are they trimming down to only million-sub-channels or something?.

My advice from here basically amounts to "You don't need them anymore anyway; consider being let go a blessing." - I would think with a userbase that large it may be possible to work with getting revenue from hits without a partner network taking a cut, or by using donations or YouTube's donation systems.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Sucks to hear. Would you be paid way less through regular Youtube ads?

I have never heard of Machinima being considered the best or good, considering all the scandals about their contracts from many years ago.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've read in some articles that networks like Machinima take a huge cut of the revenue channels generate. Is that true, or even partially true? Again, I could be completely wrong, but if that is indeed true, this could ultimately be a good thing, right?

I don't know though, from everything I've read and heard, networks (especially Machinima) don't really treat their channels all that well... again, I could be wrong about this.

OP
OP
ATOMICJORGE

ATOMICJORGE

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. Sorry to hear about that.

This whole situation has gotten out of control.

Indeed I didn't had any issues with the over the years, this is a complete mess

That sucks dude. Out of curiosity, what kind of views/subs does your channel get?

per month at least 600k new views and something around 3k subscribers, I have 176k subscribers and more than 30 million total views

Oof, you have my condolences.

Thanks a lot man right now how I feel it means a lot to me

Isn't this good? Free from Machinima's clutches. Can't you get monetized through youtube now?

I became partner with them on november 2012, I have to check how are some of the new rules regarding that

What's your youtube channel? If it'll help I'll watch some of your videos tonight.

Oww thanks a lot man it's exactly like my username but it's mainly on spanish tho

Hasn't Machinima been behind some shady practices involving YouTube contracts in the past? It might be a blessing in disguise.

Yes they have there is a lot of bad reputation surrounding them recently

That is a lot of subscribers. Holy cow.

Is this a copyright issue with you?

Thank you I work very hard and not I have 0 copyright issues

If you can afford it, I wouldn't upload anything for a month and let them make money from you.

Sadly I can't afford it I'm currently on a 2 year communications school for a special diploma and I'm the one paying it

Damn that sucks jorge, hope ya recover some how.

Good to see you FUNKNOWN thank you for your kind words my friend

And that's not enough views to make money on your own?

I don't know the ins and outs of youtube content creation.

I need to see what are my new options I will see all of that thanks dude

soulzonik

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
I was part of Maker Studios and they did the exactly same thing to me a couple of years ago when Disney bought them. My channel has less subscribers than yours (I have 118k now), but the number of views are similar.

I am independent since then and it works fine. A lot of networks come to me time to time, but I said no to all of them. I mean, I tried one of them and they wanted no "copyrighted material" (aka, no cutscenes in videos). I rolled my eyes and never tried a network again.

Only one thing bothers me with this network thing: the ad revenue is the same or it is bigger? I mean the Adsense - the ads running by YouTube and that you see in the Analytics section.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Indeed I didn't had any issues with the over the years, this is a complete mess

per month at least 600k new views and something around 3k subscribers, I have 176k subscribers and more than 30 million total views

Thanks a lot man right now how I feel it means a lot to me

I became partner with them on november 2012, I have to check how are some of the new rules regarding that

Oww thanks a lot man it's exactly like my username but it's mainly on spanish tho

Yes they have there is a lot of bad reputation surrounding them recently

Thank you I work very hard and not I have 0 copyright issues

Sadly I can't afford it I'm currently on a 2 year communications school for a special diploma and I'm the one paying it

Good to see you FUNKNOWN thank you for your kind words my friend

I need to see what are my new options I will see all of that thanks dude

Good luck dude. I'll hit you a subscribe even though my Spanish is terrible.

I was part of Maker Studios and they did the exactly same thing to me a couple of years ago when Disney bought them. My channel has less subscribers than yours (I have 118k now), but the number of views are similar.

I am independent since then and it works fine. A lot of networks come to me time to time, but I said no to all of them. I mean, I tried one of them and they wanted no "copyrighted material" (aka, no cutscenes in videos). I rolled my eyes and never tried a network again.

Only one thing bothers me with this network thing: the ad revenue is the same or it is bigger? I mean the Adsense - the ads running by YouTube and that you see in the Analytics section.

Well, if you're independent and doing similar stuff you should know if those numbers are enough to make a living?

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
TWqZlCt.png

HAH7Fng.png

Machinima Network used to be on the past the best gaming network for gaming content creators on YouTube but that is just history over the years they had gained tons of bad reputation about stealing money treating the YouTuber's terrible and not allowing them to leave, after 6 years working with them they simply told me my channel no longer meets their requirements search on Twitter and other social media this is happening to a LOT of channels!

I have been working very hard every single day for the past 8 years recording, editing, creating over 1700 videos / live streams / content on YouTube investing ton of money and time all of this to simply say I don't qualify anymore

I know some people think what we do is not working and I don't blame you some people are trash I'm talking about people who use clickbait stuff who are lazy and really don't create quality content but believe me when I say I put my soul on my channel and community YouTube was my main way to make a living, thanks to my channel I have made lots of friendship and business relationships with people on the gaming industry and now it's gone, I can't believe it sorry for the rant it's just that I have been having problems recently and this came out of nowhere

P.S
just in case some asks my channel generates 600k views per month I have 176k subscribers and over 30 million total views so that thing "no longer meet the requirements" it's false, I guess I should be happy it's very hard to get out of their network still this sucks a lot

04IjDDR.png
Sorry to hear this! But it sounds like you're keeping channel and everything, just that your link to Machinimi is severed so you'll be missing out on their links/referrals and that sorta thing?

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This has been happening all over unfortunately, many creators have been dropped due to not reaching a certain view threshold. Had many friends who run smaller channels that have gotten axe'd the past couple months, the difference there (might be network specific) is that they just got immediately dropped and automatically got paid their remaining ad revenue.

Can't say I know Machinima's situation too well (I'm under Fullscreen's Network) but it is troubling to see a channel of your size get dropped like that. I only get about 170-180,000 views per month and have 23K subs so you're much larger than I am. Sorry to hear you got hit by this.

I have never heard of Machinima being considered the best or good, considering all the scandals about their contracts from many years ago.

You'd actually get paid more via YouTube than a Network like Machinima. Basically it takes your revenue from YouTube ads which YouTube takes a small cut, then the Network takes a cut (generally networks take about 40% in my experience, depends on contract), and then you receive your cut usually on a 2 month delay so it can accurately calculate your revenue via ads.

Being without a network will ensure you maximize profit but you're also at the mercy of Content ID and other copyright related nonsense YouTube has which can be a pain. Though to be fair Networks have been providing less and less good protection from that in recent years.

As for Machinima being shady... yeah that's pretty accurate. Heard some horror stories both public-ally and privately that made me want to stay away from them. Especially the mutli-year contract extensions without warning.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
Huh I thought Machinima had gone under after all the BroTeam Pill thing.

Well, it sucks. Couldn't you set up a Patreon or something? I know it's not worth much, but hang in there

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry to hear... this reminds me a bit of the Channel Awesome fiasco, though that one happened for different reasons... does your country support Patreon? I know the revenue is a bit meh outside the states but there may be a regional version of crowdfunding that may help you keep the channel up, don't give up!

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry to hear... this reminds me a bit of the Channel Awesome fiasco, though that one happened for different reasons... does your country support Patreon? I know the revenue is a bit meh outside the states but there may be a regional version of crowdfunding that may help you keep the channel up, don't give up!

Does YouTube itself not have any donation feature yet? I remember a couple of years ago they were really pushing the gaming thing.

Nov 3, 2017
BS-X

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've read in some articles that networks like Machinima take a huge cut of the revenue channels generate. Is that true, or even partially true? Again, I could be completely wrong, but if that is indeed true, this could ultimately be a good thing, right?

I don't know though, from everything I've read and heard, networks (especially Machinima) don't really treat their channels all that well... again, I could be wrong about this.

I myself am someone who's avoided MCNs for my entire time as a YouTuber up to this point (Currently at 44k subs, but views are irregular - as expected of my hyper-niche content my viewcounts for vids can go from "Less than a hundred" to "over 2 million", which probably gives me some kinda record for "view disparity", haha.), mostly because by the time I got offers no one could provide me a "real" incentive to join (Vague promises of exposure, analytics and communities. To try to get them to stop contacting me I would ask them to provide a translator for my content as there's a lot of Japanese - and absolute ContentID protection, which easily causes them to balk nowadays.)
MCNs back in the day used to be good for exposure and "exclusive" YouTube features, but nowadays... yeah, the promises are vague and you're signing off a percentage of your revenue to them. As far as I was concerned, "no thank you".
Most the old MCNs are mostly still around to keep people contract-locked, as far as I can see, but lately I've stopped seeing "new" MCNs appear which suggests to me that MCNs may be dying, which would explain Machinima's actions; a shift from their policy as a response to current going-ons.

The big question is, considering AtomicJorge's content gets subs and views that would, in the past, be considered a successful YouTube channel... and considering that his content seems to be the normal, expected game coverage I would expect from a mainstream game channel, what exactly is Machinima's standard here?
If similar but less popular channels are being excluded from this removal, I would consider that weird...
And I pray it's not the espanol-language default. It'd be hard to tell from that whether Machinima or Advertisers would be at fault.

soulzonik

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Well, if you're independent and doing similar stuff you should know if those numbers are enough to make a living?

I don't want to know absolute values, only if AdSense is the same if you are part of network or not.

I mean, when I was part of Maker Studios (2015-2016), the YouTube ads were very different from now (the "adpocalipse", you know, Pewdiepie, Logan Paul, demonetized etc etc). So my revenue went down a lot (300-400%, more or less).

Because of that, I can't compare in a right way this data. I assume that the ads are the same, but usually the network keeps 20-30% of the ads, so I wonder if they are somewhat involved.

KZXcellent actually kinda answered my question below. But I still don't know if the RPM is the same, you know? This kind of thing. Like, if you are part of a network, the ads that shows in your video are more "valuable".

You'd actually get paid more via YouTube than a Network like Machinima. Basically it takes your revenue from YouTube ads which YouTube takes a small cut, then the Network takes a cut (generally networks take about 40% in my experience, depends on contract), and then you receive your cut usually on a 2 month delay so it can accurately calculate your revenue via ads.

Does YouTube itself not have any donation feature yet? I remember a couple of years ago they were really pushing the gaming thing.

Yes, it has. You can support a channel like a Patreon or, in a Live, donate money via "superchat".

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, what a fuck up from Machinima :( I hope you can maintain most of your viewerbase through this, Jorge

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I don't want to know absolute values, only if AdSense is the same if you are part of network or not.

I mean, when I was part of Maker Studios (2015-2016), the YouTube ads were very different from now (the "adpocalipse", you know, Pewdiepie, Logan Paul, demonetized etc etc). So my revenue went down a lot (300-400%, more or less).

Because of that, I can't compare in a right way this data. I assume that the ads are the same, but usually the networks keeps 20-30% of the ads, so I wonder if they are somewhat involved.

KZXcellent actually kinda answered my question below. But I still don't know if the RPM is the same, you know? This kind of thing. Like, if you are part of a network, the ads that shows in your video are more "valuable".

Yes, it has. You can support a channel like a Patreon or, in a Live, donate money via "superchat".

Thanks.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Considering that almost all of the content creators I watch are on Patreon now, I assumed youtube's syatem must be bad. I heard that for Brazil at least the revenue is way less tha in the US and you can barely make a living out of youtube unless your channel is a juggernaut :/(we have some youtubers in BrazilERA if you need a source, all I know are from conversations from there...)

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

For their streaming they have something called "Superchat" which let's you donate during livestreams. They also have a "Sponsor" feature in beta right now that let's you basically pay $5 a month recurring to a YouTuber (their patreon alternative).

soulzonik

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Considering that almost all of the content creators I watch are on Patreon now, I assumed youtube's syatem must be bad. I heard that for Brazil at least the revenue is way less tha in the US and you can barely make a living out of youtube unless your channel is a juggernaut :/(we have some youtubers in BrazilERA if you need a source, all I know are from conversations from there...)

I am from Brazil and can confirm this. I have 500-600k views/month and 100~ USD/month via ads (month being 28 days).

To donate on YouTube, it HAS to be via YouTube Gaming (you can't do this via normal YT, AFAIK) and the channel needs to able it. Almost no one access YT Gaming by default and 99% of your audience doesn't know about this feature.

Nov 3, 2017
BS-X

... I don't actually want to believe this, but I think this might be an answer to why Machinima is doing this to Jorge's channel. While I do not know what region he is in or whatsuch, it seems for many of his videos the language is in Espanol, which means his primary audience may not be from the USA. In this case, "advertiser-friendly" has nothing to do with how safe your content is for kids, but rather SIMPLY THE LANGUAGE YOU SPEAK.

This would be utter cruelty if so.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
YT gravy train is over. All those controversies have the ad buyers spooked and as such the money available to go around has plummeted. Seems Machinima has decided to cut loose anyone who isn't pulling in enough money.

iLorah

Oct 31, 2017
Really sorry to hear this! I remember them at their peak and everyone and their dog wanted to be patterned with them (me included) it's sad to see what happened! I hope all works out for you

OP
OP
ATOMICJORGE

ATOMICJORGE

Oct 25, 2017

Damn sucks to hear that as well but I'm glad things are going fine for you, if I work without a network how does the magnetization system works? and all networks take a cut so I'm sure you get more than on a network

Good luck dude. I'll hit you a subscribe even though my Spanish is terrible.

Thank you very much dude I appreciate it a lot the thing is that since my channel is from Mexico ad revenue is way lower here compared to the states

Sorry to hear this! But it sounds like you're keeping channel and everything, just that your link to Machinimi is severed so you'll be missing out on their links/referrals and that sorta thing?

yes but also in the past when I joined being a partner was crucial for tons of features and monetization options I need to see what will I do

This has been happening all over unfortunately, many creators have been dropped due to not reaching a certain view threshold. Had many friends who run smaller channels that have gotten axe'd the past couple months, the difference there (might be network specific) is that they just got immediately dropped and automatically got paid their remaining ad revenue.

Can't say I know Machinima's situation too well (I'm under Fullscreen's Network) but it is troubling to see a channel of your size get dropped like that. I only get about 170-180,000 views per month and have 23K subs so you're much larger than I am. Sorry to hear you got hit by this.

Being without a network will ensure you maximize profit but you're also at the mercy of Content ID and other copyright related nonsense YouTube has which can be a pain. Though to be fair Networks have been providing less and less good protection from that in recent years.

As for Machinima being shady... yeah that's pretty accurate. Heard some horror stories both public-ally and privately that made me want to stay away from them. Especially the mutli-year contract extensions without warning.

As a fellow content creator I say thank you for your post first wow you are getting tons of views for the number of your current subscribers keep it up yeah I need to do some research about all of the things that will happen if I go independent this is a delicate situation since is my main source of income I need to see all of that but trust me it really feels bad but thank you dude I wish you good luck and success

Huh I thought Machinima had gone under after all the BroTeam Pill thing.

Well, it sucks. Couldn't you set up a Patreon or something? I know it's not worth much, but hang in there

Thanks dude your words mean a lot to me sadly on Mexico and LATAM the majority of the people are terrible when it comes to patreon and that sort of stuff most of them don't value our work

Yeah I also remembered that situation Patreon is not a viable option here on LATAM tons of people don't value the hard work that (good not all of the are of course) content creators do, thanks for your words I will not give upt never will :)

They have it but only for live streams on youtube gaming

Well if that is not copyright then seems shady as all hell to me.

It is trust me I have 0 copyright problems

YouTube's been arbitrarily stringent with "user-friendly" content lately, from what I understand literally anything can set off their explicit alarms. Lots of videos are getting demonetized for no apparent reason, so it's probably that.

So true it hurts

I myself am someone who's avoided MCNs for my entire time as a YouTuber up to this point (Currently at 44k subs, but views are irregular - as expected of my hyper-niche content my viewcounts for vids can go from "Less than a hundred" to "over 2 million", which probably gives me some kinda record for "view disparity", haha.), mostly because by the time I got offers no one could provide me a "real" incentive to join (Vague promises of exposure, analytics and communities. To try to get them to stop contacting me I would ask them to provide a translator for my content as there's a lot of Japanese - and absolute ContentID protection, which easily causes them to balk nowadays.)
MCNs back in the day used to be good for exposure and "exclusive" YouTube features, but nowadays... yeah, the promises are vague and you're signing off a percentage of your revenue to them. As far as I was concerned, "no thank you".
Most the old MCNs are mostly still around to keep people contract-locked, as far as I can see, but lately I've stopped seeing "new" MCNs appear which suggests to me that MCNs may be dying, which would explain Machinima's actions; a shift from their policy as a response to current going-ons.

The big question is, considering AtomicJorge's content gets subs and views that would, in the past, be considered a successful YouTube channel... and considering that his content seems to be the normal, expected game coverage I would expect from a mainstream game channel, what exactly is Machinima's standard here?
If similar but less popular channels are being excluded from this removal, I would consider that weird...
And I pray it's not the espanol-language default. It'd be hard to tell from that whether Machinima or Advertisers would be at fault.

the majority of the people that I'm seeing are being hit are spanish speakers creators if they drop us out because of that man that's way worse that the current situation, I will post more screen caps I agree with you this is very weird

Wow, what a fuck up from Machinima :( I hope you can maintain most of your viewerbase through this, Jorge

Thank you man I'm living some hard times not only this, it's not easy but I need to keep it up

Kindekuma

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man I totally forgot that Machinima even existed. That sucks though. Hopefully you'll find a new partnership or consider something like Patreon. You have a really good subscriber base, I'm sure you could get a fair bit from that.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Last I heard of machinama they were giant assholes like 10-11 years ago. Didn't know they were still around

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017

Lurkyseas

Banned
Dec 31, 2017
This is exactly one of the very reasons why some people make their own sites, etc. in which they can post their own videos without having to deal with YouTube, Machinima & their messes.

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry for your troubles. I heard bad things about machinima since like 2013, they just seem trash, it's incredible.

Videogame Dunkey talked briefly about how shitty machinima was for him too:

Hope you can recover and make it on your own.

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
Machinima is pretty crappy, I remember I did an animation for them once and they owned me $2k for a little over half a year. I was in a semi-shitty situation at that point too so it caused me a lot of problems.