• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

is mad max 1 a good movie?

• no

Votes: 129 30.9%
  • yes

Votes: 289 69.1%

• Total voters

kowhite

May 14, 2019
I think some of you are crazy. I get not liking it, but to not see the talent that would eventually make Fury Road? That is the crazy part.

This was made by a first time director on an extremely tiny budget. Watch other movies on low budgets from that time and you can see the craft and the talent. Most of them are people walking around the woods just being boring and you occasionally see a bad monster suit. They didnt have the money to hire many actors, so they are either not actors at all, or extremely young and cheap.

Also Max is meant to be stoic, he isn't meant to be that emotional.

And the first one is meant to be shortly after the apocalypse, so there is still greenery.

I mean, that people didn't expect Fury Road for what it is just based on watching the first three movies…that makes sense. Fury Road is incredible…and I love the Mad Max movies but I didn't expect that good.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
Yep, watched it after I saw Fury Road. I couldn't believe people actually thought it was good lol. Or that it was part of the same franchise. Terrible tbh.

Road Warrior and even Beyond Thunderdome are great though.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Yep, watched it after I saw Fury Road. I couldn't believe people actually thought it was good lol. Or that it was part of the same franchise. Terrible tbh.

Road Warrior and even Beyond Thunderdome are great though.

It is also over 40 years old. There should be a little perspective :p There was nothing like it at that time, which it why it spawned so many Mad Max clones during the 80s. I don't think anyone is saying it's better than Fury Road, but there is so much talent in that movie. The way it is shot and it's stunts. Most of that cast aren't real actors. It is true Guerrilla film making.

I kind of always thought that society is supposed to be decaying during the first movie, and full on apocalypse was yet to come.

Perhaps! Unlike a lot of post apocalyptic movies, it's not anything fast but a slow gradual decline. By the time of Fury Road it is full on apocalypse.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
It's pretty great. The night rider, bubba, toe cutter, cundalini, goose, that sweet saxophone solo. The stunts are all crazy, and it's a decent enough origin story with a different vibe.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
I kind of always thought that society is supposed to be decaying during the first movie, and full on apocalypse was yet to come.

It's all kinda retconned so there's no real 'right' answer anymore but the original idea was that society was slowly decaying as oil started running out and ecocide had also begun to destroy the environment. The war that completely destroys society happens between 2 and 3 afaik.

The Quentulated Mox

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 10, 2022
It is also over 40 years old. There should be a little perspective :p There was nothing like it at that time, which it why it spawned so many Mad Max clones during the 80s. I don't think anyone is saying it's better than Fury Road, but there is so much talent in that movie. The way it is shot and it's stunts. Most of that cast aren't real actors. It is true Guerrilla film making.
Don't be silly, art becomes obsolete over time, movies from 40 years ago are objectively worse than modern ones, in much the same way as an iPhone

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Vernon Wells - who played the 2nd greatest Arnie villain ever - is disappointed in you all.

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
I appreciate it for what it is. A cheap action film from a first time director, in a country that had a non existent film industry.

You can see how the experience and bigger budget was put to use in Road Warrior.

But, I agree the setting feels less like the apocalypse, and is just 70's rural Australia.

Last edited:

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Also, complaining about the action sequences when the car crashes are basically all real car crashes is crazy to me. This isn't so much special effects. It's more a miracle that nobody died.

Don't be silly, art becomes obsolete over time, movies from 40 years ago are objectively worse than modern ones, in much the same way as an iPhone

This is one of the worst takes I've seen in a while. Art doesn't become obsolete, and there are movies made 40 years ago that are better than anything released yet this decade. Art isn't about technological advancements, even though technological advancements of course changes the conditions of what is possible to create. Would you say Bruegels, Bethooven or Andy Warhol are obsolete?

I can't believe you compared art to an iphone. I need to lie down.

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019
To me it elevates Mad Max 2 as it sets up the arc for Max in that and shows what Max was before. I also thought it was boring as shit to go back to the first time I tried, but on a later watch with better sensibilities I could appreciate it more.

It isn't a cool badass moment in the end, it's Max succumbing to his environment and turning into one of the animals he was fighting. He represents the collapse of society you see in Mad Max 2 and the character pulls himself out of that mindset somewhat.

Mad Max 2 kinda needs it as they try to give you the back story with a few quick cuts in the intro sequence, but it is better to bring it all with you into the sequel. Mad Max 2 is a very impressive sequel in that sense with how it manages to build on the meager bones of Mad Max.

So I dig it!

Oct 26, 2017
This is one of the worst takes I've seen in a while. Art doesn't become obsolete, and there are movies made 40 years ago that are better than anything released yet this decade. Art isn't about technological advancements, even though technological advancements of course changes the conditions of what is possible to create. Would you say Bruegels, Bethooven or Andy Warhol are obsolete?

Sarcasm

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I think some people in this forum…that's exactly true.

The stunt work is still top of the game. Think making an action flick with the same budget as the first Halloween and you have Mad Max. And you got Jaws, Star Wars, and Mad Max for modern Hollywood blockbuster flicks.

Most importantly, it is Fists of the North Stars direct inspiration.

LV-0504

Oct 6, 2022
This thread contains the most incorrect opinions I have ever seen on this forum, I'm almost impressed.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
It was a low budget first effort film for a lot of those involved with it. Look at Road Warrior just a few years later, massive leap in quality and everything. Then look at Fury Road. It's kind of like Sam Raimis first Evil Dead which I also love btw

Also thank god people liked Mad Max back when it came out or we wouldn't even have Road Warrior and Fury Road come on people

kowhite

May 14, 2019
It was a low budget first effort film for a lot of those involved with it. Look at Road Warrior just a few years later, massive leap in quality and everything. Then look at Fury Road. It's kind of like Sam Raimis first Evil Dead which I also love btw

Also thank god people liked Mad Max back when it came out or we wouldn't even have Road Warrior and Fury Road come on people

Thing is Mad Max didn't just form George Miller into the filmmaker he is. In a lot of ways it informed the post apocalyptic genre. Let's not pretend it wasn't hugely influential. It's formative. But its origins don't mean it's good. I think it is though. But fair enough.

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
I mean, it's a movie that's a step above a student film, with a mumblecore budget, and renegade shooting because they didn't have the rights to film on the roads.

I think it's kind of astounding the time between it and The Road Warrior was only 2 years.

Nov 4, 2017
*Shrug* It was made by a bunch of newbies on a shoestring budget in a backwater (at the time) country. It is all those things you said, and still better than 99% of the shit churned out by Hollywood today.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I can kind of understand this opinion, but you need to look at the movie for the low budget first attempt it is. Anyone shitting on the Road Warrior is out of their damn mind though.

There is a line that can be drawn from so much of the media this forum loves directly back to these movies.

MyDudeMango

Jul 17, 2021
Canada
I need to revisit Mad Max 1 tbh. I remember having a fairly dismissive opinion myself when I was younger, it probably just isn't the same kind of movie as the others, needs a different outlook. I certainly don't blame people for being surprised or a bit disappointed by comparison when first familiar with the other movies.
Fury Road was actually the first good Mad Max and I'm willing to die on that hill sorry.
I'll raise you a hot take:
Thunderdome is the first one to be truly fantastic - and it's a teensy bit better than Fury Road.

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
to be fair, George Miller himself thought this movie sucked and was unwatchable. his mission for the sequel was to fix everything he thought was wrong with this movie and that's how we got what Mad Max is known for now. you can see that in the extras of The Road Warrior (the 4K release has them)

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I enjoyed the first Mad Max but could never get into the other two as it was such a different take. The first one was a very down to earth type of bleak future and then it just turned into a "heavy metal cover" vision of a post apocalyptic future which I didn't particularly like the aesthetics of.
Fury Road was amazing though.

J75

Sep 29, 2018

You can add Hokuto no Ken to the list. 😉 Very influential film, it deservers its flowers.

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
for me, the first movie of this series i watched was Thunderdome back when i was a kid in the 90s. that gives it a positive handicap since i didn't watch the first 2 fully until i had them on Blu-ray a decade ago. i had seen the last half of Road Warrior on TV maybe 2-3 times since it was almost never on TV and the video store didn't have these movies to rent them.

i watched all of them recently and they pretty much get better with each release except that Road Warrior is above Thunderdome by a bit. i do enjoy even the first one so i think it's alright when you consider the super limited budget. it's gotta be one of the biggest jumps in quality from the first entry to the second entry in a movie series.

The stunt work is still top of the game. Think making an action flick with the same budget as the first Halloween and you have Mad Max. And you got Jaws, Star Wars, and Mad Max for modern Hollywood blockbuster flicks.

Most importantly, it is Fists of the North Stars direct inspiration.

oh that reminds me, Fist of the North Star was a direct inspiration for Jojo so we wouldn't have that either without Mad Max.

The Quentulated Mox

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 10, 2022

Ah I guess I neglected the /s at my own peril

Bunkem

Prophet of Truth
Aug 25, 2021
Road Warrior is kind of Mad Max 1, really, and a great film. I really like the first act of Mad Max, but then it rapidly goes downhill. Incredibly boring and paced strangely.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fury Road was actually the first good Mad Max and I'm willing to die on that hill sorry.
Terrible OP and first post, what a match made in shit opinion hell.

First Mad Max is fun, not the best of the series obviously, but great. Mad Max 2 and Fury Road are both amazing. Beyond the Thunderdome tells you exactly when it becomes shit: after he leaves the Thunderdome.

As an extra: the game by Avalanche Studios is also great fun.

pennanton

Oct 31, 2017
Mad Max 1 is for Aussies only. Strayan cars. Strayan chatter. Strayan locations. Having said was filmed near where I live so it's easily the best.

Bodhi

Oct 5, 2022
I like 1 the most. 2 is iconic, but not my favorite. 3 has that 1st third, which is amazing, but becomes a kid's movie (wtf). 4 is a bit overrated, imo.

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
It's okay, of course it's not as bombastic as the others: if you see it for what it is, a low budget effort by a first time director, it's kinda brilliant.

Thunderdome is great as long as you turn it off as soon as it becomes a kid's movie.

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
It's pretty good, considering it was made by a Medical Doctor on a fairly low budget, that it was before CGI was available for everyone and that the main star didn't have much (any) experience.

It's also one of the most profitable movies in history (maybe still the most).

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
I used to love Mad Max when I was little. Then Mel Gibson ruined them for me.

I don't like Fury Road

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
PqHY6aG.gif

I thought it was great, for what it was.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Low budget kino

Admittedly I've not seen it since the VHS days. In fact it's the only Mad Max I've seen