• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Sep 14, 2018
Oops quoting myself for new page.

Spoiler season starts today:

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

Also confirmed the remaining walkers officially, Kaya had already shown up on the cover of the novel and Dovin's presence was inferred from the thopters featured in the art for Hallowed Fountain.

5.png

6.png

Oct 25, 2017
No it's an alternate cost, not an additional cost. It's like Miracle except based on opponent taking damage instead of draws.
I got that, but all the example cards I saw had a cost that's the same as the basic cost, but more expensive, and thus the same as a kicker.

If the set ends up including some cards with a cheaper spectacle cost or a completely different spectacle cost (e.g. requires green instead of red) then I could see it being interesting.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I got that, but all the example cards I saw had a cost that's the same as the basic cost, but more expensive, and thus the same as a kicker.

If the set ends up including some cards with a cheaper spectacle cost or a completely different spectacle cost (e.g. requires green instead of red) then I could see it being interesting.
Light Up the Stage has a lower cost.

BTW, if you want to keep up with card spoilers, they are discussed more in the general Magic thread. Plus, I've been making use of threadmarks for them.

Oct 28, 2017

It's the Rakdos mechanic so it's only going to be Red Black, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a red card with a mono black spectacle cost or something. That is almost guaranteed actually. It allows them to design a card for Rakdos that can be splashed into other colors but without the extra benefit. That's especially relevant in limited.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Any tips to improve this deck? I just made it real quick just now :x
Q0xCM3d.png

I'd play Lava Coils over some amount of your other burn spells (and specifically cut Bombard). Killing 4 toughness things and exiling them is super important in this format with all the Drakes, Phoenixes, and Golgari decks that can buy stuff back running around.

Sep 14, 2018
Any tips to improve this deck? I just made it real quick just now :x
Q0xCM3d.png

Maybe try Thunderherd Migration over Grow and Savage Stomp might be better removal here than LS. You could throw in Vivien if you have her, Forerunner, Drover of the Mighty, and in general a one of answer is a bad idea, run more Bombard or just cut it.

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe try Thunderherd Migration over Grow and Savage Stomp might be better removal here than LS. You could throw in Vivien if you have her, Forerunner, Drover of the Mighty, and in general a one of answer is a bad idea, run more Bombard or just cut it.

A one of answer is fine. I wouldn't make general rules like that. That said, Bombard is really not good and should be replaced by Lava Coil for sure.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have been so impressed by Raptor Hatchling out of the sideboard in the Izzet Control deck. Was surprised when I first saw it in there in all the lists. I definitely underestimated just how good putting out two bodies to get through was versus the aggro decks.

Sep 14, 2018
A one of answer is fine. I wouldn't make general rules like that. That said, Bombard is really not good and should be replaced by Lava Coil for sure.

I don't wanna get into it but in a standard non control low draw deck it's just pointless, he's never gonna see that bombard when he needs it.

Light Up the Stage has a lower cost.

BTW, if you want to keep up with card spoilers, they are discussed more in the general Magic thread. Plus, I've been making use of threadmarks for them.

This thread has a bunch of newer players who started with mtga, it's easier to discuss if most users here are relative newcomers.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I don't wanna get into it but in a standard non control low draw deck it's just pointless, he's never gonna see that bombard when he needs it.

This thread has a bunch of newer players who started with mtga, it's easier to discuss if most users here are relative newcomers.

The discussion in that thread isn't high brow or anything. A newcomer who can follow this thread could follow that, and if they couldn't I'm sure any of us would be happy to clarify!

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been doing surprisingly well in ranked with Naya ramp so far, streaked to gold 3 in the last 2 days. Seeing some surprising jank even at this point, so I assume all the golgri and shit is well into platinum by now.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The ICRs definitely make a huge difference in collection progress. Along with the constructed event.

Thanks to them, I actually have much more progress with Uncommons than Commons.

I'm at 40% total commons and 70% unique commons, while at 58% total Uncommons and 85% unique uncommons.

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So when Ravnica Allegiance drops late Jan, what current sets rotate out of standard and what are we left with?

I'm still confused on rotations and dates and it would be useful to understand this to not waste wildcards that will get limited play.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
All sets are large sets now as well, right?

On another note, having a blast playing Grixis Control on the ranked ladder.

edit: Though I do hope for a BO3 ladder for the next season.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
There's always 4 standard set per year; 3 "expansion sets" and 1 core set. Rotation happens when the fall set (the one after the core set) is released. When Kaldheim* releases in fall 2019 Ixalan, Rivals of Ixalan, Dominaria and Core Set 2019 will all rotate out.

*We don't actually know what the fall set will be, this is just an educated guess.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
OK after a few matches I've found this to be a slightly better build for me, but I welcome any feedback :X
iCBRbhA.png

Also what's a good deck to build around Trostani Discordant? I could get a Benalish Marshal on there.

Oct 25, 2017
I looked at the upcoming events list and found one of my friends made possibly the craziest event yet, free-mana draft. :D It's the 2019 set but I'll still probably try to save gold to do it at least twice.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm getting mana-screwed to hell today. I went 0-3 in 3 consecutive CEs because I could never get above 3 lands. There's like 20 in my deck, I don't really want to add more but it's been pretty ridiculous.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
OK after a few matches I've found this to be a slightly better build for me, but I welcome any feedback :X
iCBRbhA.png

That looks decent. This is for Best of 1, I assume? The 3 Crushing Canopies might be a bit overkill, they are versatile for sure, but them being dead in the Golgari Matchup could be a liability. They aren't all running Doom Whisperers. Maybe switch to a different 3-drop, because you do want those to be able to take advantage of a Turn 1 Elf. I'm not totally sure which ones that would be though. Maybe Deathgorge Scavenger if you want all Dinos?

Also what's a good deck to build around Trostani Discordant? I could get a Benalish Marshal on there.

There's a pretty successful Selesnya tokens deck right now that runs them. Pretty expensive to build though since it's a lot of rares and mythics. Here's an example: http://www.starcitygames.com/decks/125563 Can use that as a starting point and replace cards you don't have with other stuff.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
\
That looks decent. This is for Best of 1, I assume? The 3 Crushing Canopies might be a bit overkill, they are versatile for sure, but them being dead in the Golgari Matchup could be a liability. They aren't all running Doom Whisperers. Maybe switch to a different 3-drop, because you do want those to be able to take advantage of a Turn 1 Elf. I'm not totally sure which ones that would be though. Maybe Deathgorge Scavenger if you want all Dinos?

There's a pretty successful Selesnya tokens deck right now that runs them. Pretty expensive to build though since it's a lot of rares and mythics. Here's an example: http://www.starcitygames.com/decks/125563 Can use that as a starting point and replace cards you don't have with other stuff.
I'll check those out. I tried ranked buuuut had to bail because of all the milling and shit. I just wanna wreck stuff with dinos damnit! I am more focused on best of 1 since I mainl;y play casually.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
With only 20 lands your deck should function perfectly fine with 3 lands.

I mean it's by no means a tier 1 (or 2, or 3) deck, just something I cobbled together off the top of my head so some tweaking is certainly an option. But my previous (and on paper, worse) decks have had fewer lands and I rarely had any issues getting above 3 mana with those. I can do fine with 3 mana, but losing momentum after the first few turns usually means I struggle to land the killing blow.

I'll chalk it down to bad luck and see how it goes tomorrow.

Santiako

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's by no means a tier 1 (or 2, or 3) deck, just something I cobbled together off the top of my head so some tweaking is certainly an option. But my previous (and on paper, worse) decks have had fewer lands and I rarely had any issues getting above 3 mana with those. I can do fine with 3 mana, but losing momentum after the first few turns usually means I struggle to land the killing blow.

I'll chalk it down to bad luck and see how it goes tomorrow.
If the deck needs four or more lands to work, you can't be running just 20. You need more.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
iCBRbhA.png

Risk Factor only works in hyper-aggressive decks as a finisher. It doesn't really do much in a midrange deck like this. Crushing Canopy also isn't great. Brontodons should be enough for enchantment and artifact hate, so if you're worried about fliers Kraul Harpooner or fliers of your own, like Rekindling Phoenix is a better way to go since they're not dead draws in games with no fliers.

Feb 16, 2018
lava coil is too popular atm

when control can go back to playing at instant speed and the other guilds get cards/lands so that izzet is less popular, phoenix might rekindle

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Risk Factor only works in hyper-aggressive decks as a finisher. It doesn't really do much in a midrange deck like this. Crushing Canopy also isn't great. Brontodons should be enough for enchantment and artifact hate, so if you're worried about fliers Kraul Harpooner or fliers of your own, like Rekindling Phoenix is a better way to go since they're not dead draws in games with no fliers.
But id be getting rid of a decent 3/4 card by relying mainly on brontodons :s

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I just played this for the first time - also played Magic for the first time. Seems fun!
I played the tutorials and 3 matches with one lost and two wins. But... is it me or this just pure luck of cards/deck (as of now?)

Oct 25, 2017
I just played this for the first time - also played Magic for the first time. Seems fun!
I played the tutorials and 3 matches with one lost and two wins. But... is it me or this just pure luck of cards/deck (as of now?)
There's a substantial amount of luck involved in that even high-level players will sometimes draw 10 lands out of 14 cards and there's simply sometimes no way around it. Same thing can happen with never drawing more lands before you lose. Some mirror matches also can come down to "who can get their winning creature on the field first lol". People call it "variance" and it's been generally accepted in Magic for a decade or more.

However, especially if one plays the time-consuming best of 3 mode where you can switch cards around in your deck between games, there's a good bit of strategy and deck variety.

On average over 50+ games, better decks and better players will tend to do better.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Got it, thanks! :) I just run with the predefined decks right now (I like green) and learn some more. Pretty cool to learn Magic for free that way, always wanted to play the real thing too but never invested in a deck.

Oct 25, 2017
Got it, thanks! :) I just run with the predefined decks right now (I like green) and learn some more. Pretty cool to learn Magic for free that way, always wanted to play the real thing too but never invested in a deck.
Yep, I never got into the real life game either but it basically replaced Hearthstone for me since I only invested in the $5 Magic Arena welcome pack and just play for free.

It can be fun sometimes and frustrating others. If you start adding mythics to starter decks be aware that you'll probably start getting matched against more advanced enemy decks that may be fine-tuned.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Gruul mechanic and cards:

en_DxeWfsGPSI.png

en_EP8R7WmM2R.png

I really like the mechanic, it's powerful to be able to choose between haste to press harder when you're ahead or make the body bigger for creature slugfests. Spellbreaker dunks on Settle the Wreckage.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
One thing I have to say though. The low quality art of the backgrounds (compression) and some of the low resolution of cards are a bit of a bummer. :-(
Was always looking at artist pages that do art for Magic cards and it's a real treat sometimes.