Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
4t0uh5c0sae61.jpg

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Dude was spamming ZZZ emote because I was playing redmono in BO1. He was playing Yorian. Spamming ZZZ when you're playing Yorian, lol. Maybe you should go to BO3 if you want to play your slow ass control deck.

It is nice stomping people like that.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
What, specifically, is the problem?
Tibalts Trickery, Ugin, and Vorinclex.

Trickery is self explanatory. Thats going to get a ban first thing though so I'm not too worried, but it's going to be a huge pain until it's gone. Ugin being around still is just ridiculous given all of the new ramp that just made it into the game as well as the number of cards that allow you to cheat it onto the field for far less than it's 8 mana. Vorinclex allowing people to get immediate emblems is also completely broken. I've lost count how many times I have seen a Genesis ultimatum and watched the opponent get 2 or more emblems instantly.

The power scale is just off the charts right now.

Piecake

Oct 27, 2017
Ive had the Frija angel a few times in draft and I wasn't very impressed, mostly because it always resulted in me decking thanks to board stalls

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
haven't played in a while, but want to get back in as mobile apps are coming soon

any good constructed decklists out there? is this the start of a new standard (ie, a good time to go all-in on good lands, etc)?

i have a lot of wildcards:

110 Common
127 Uncommon
48 Rare
30 Mythic

Last edited:

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
haven't played in a while, but want to get back in as mobile apps are coming soon

any good constructed decklists out there? is this the start of a new standard (ie, a good time to go all-in on good lands, etc)?

i have a lot of wildcards:

110 Common
127 Uncommon
48 Rare
30 Mythic
Rotation happened last set (Zendikar Rising). The new set has a bunch of double-faced dual lands that are great for crafting. I'll add that the meta is likely going to shift pretty soon as another new set (Kaldheim) just came out last Thursday.

What kind of style do you like playing? The most played decks right now are Mono W Lifegain, Dimir Rogues/Mill, Mono Red, Esper Doom, Gruul Aggro. I'm still playing an Ashiok Control deck from December while waiting for the meta to shake out a bit. It's doing alright.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Rotation happened last set (Zendikar Rising). The new set has a bunch of double-faced dual lands that are great for crafting. I'll add that the meta is likely going to shift pretty soon as another new set (Kaldheim) just came out last Thursday.

What kind of style do you like playing? The most played decks right now are Mono W Lifegain, Dimir Rogues/Mill, Mono Red, Esper Doom, Gruul Aggro. I'm still playing an Ashiok Control deck from December while waiting for the meta to shake out a bit. It's doing alright.

Thanks, I'm going to wait a few weeks to let things shake out as well. Maybe try to scrape by with an old deck for a bit.

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, I'm going to wait a few weeks to let things shake out as well. Maybe try to scrape by with an old deck for a bit.
Yeah, not a bad plan. Historic's a thing, too. Although that format can be kinda crazy. It hasn't been updated in awhile, but I've seen good budget decks here:

mtgazone.com

Budget Standard Decks for Beginners - May 2024 • MTG Arena Zone

The best budget decks for Standard, with cheap common and uncommon cards only. Each deck comes complete with its own upgrade guide.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Going back to historical. I am already tired of rogue, I was hoping that shit would have died off because of the new set, but there are more now than ever. Hopefully once the meta gets more established something will push it out. It's just such an annoying deck and I'm constantly playing against it.

no i imported the wrong deck and wasted by rares on a standard deck. lol wtf

Last edited:

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
So how much "daily play" time does it take to keep up in this game? 30 minutes?

I mostly enjoy limited, but wouldn't mind keeping 1 or 2 constructed decks always viable (while hopefully earning gold for weekend drafts) but not if it takes Hearthstone levels of second job grinding.

Yeah, not a bad plan. Historic's a thing, too. Although that format can be kinda crazy. It hasn't been updated in awhile, but I've seen good budget decks here:

mtgazone.com

Budget Standard Decks for Beginners - May 2024 • MTG Arena Zone

The best budget decks for Standard, with cheap common and uncommon cards only. Each deck comes complete with its own upgrade guide.

I usually hate that kind of legacy mayhem play.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
So how much "daily play" time does it take to keep up in this game? 30 minutes?

It honestly depends a lot on how dedicated you want to be to grinding out value. Daily quests and your first 4 wins of a day give you the bulk of rewards, about 1150 gold together on average, but getting 4 wins even with a very fast deck tends to take a little over an hour, if you wind up in a control mirror that goes long and you still lose that could be over an hour of time with nothing to show for it.
The cheapest drafts are 5000 gold, but depending on how well you do you can get enough rewards from the draft to pay for itself and then some. So if your goal is only to draft a couple times each week you might only need to log on every 3 days to clear out your quest que in under an hour with decks dedicated to completing quests rather than winning, combined with decent draft results you may never need to grind a single win if you don't want to.
On the other hand if you wanted to squeeze the full 15 wins a day free2play value out of it that's more like a 5 hour a day grind, but the extra rewards compared to the quest and first 4 wins is not really worth the time investment if you aren't actively having fun doing it. There are also other occasional bonus rewards like packs off the free track of the battle pass, seasonal rank reward packs, promotional codes, or friday night magic events that reward a rare card or two.

DeadMoonKing

Nov 6, 2017
Posted this on reddit, but may as well post it here as well:

I'm a relatively new player (started with the laugh of the Mac client) and have mainly been playing mono-White. I have bought each mastery pass so far and the best rank I've ever gotten on ladder has been Plat 3.

I recently pulled Yorion in a pack and watching CGB regularly, I know it's a powerful card that also seems like a lot of fun. That said, there are a ton of Yorion decks he has introduced and I'm a little lost as to what a relative newbie like me would be best playing, to say nothing of the fact the meta is shifting and settling due to Kaldheim.

Would anyone be able to recommend a Yorion deck for a relative beginner? I have a nice stockpile of rare/mythic cards, but would prefer not to spend them on jank central, but at least something that has the power level to get me to at least plat, provided I learn how to pilot it correctly.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
whatmtga.png

This was the strangest interaction. Op was at two health and I attacked with Faceless Haven and it triggered my robbers that were exiled by Ugin. I then used his Bonecrusher to kill him. I just don't understand why Faceless Haven triggered the robbers. Haven is considered an all type, so that means a rogue, but my robbers were exiled so why would their ability still trigger?

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
whatmtga.png

This was the strangest interaction. Op was at two health and I attacked with Faceless Haven and it triggered my robbers that were exiled by Ugin. I then used his Bonecrusher to kill him. I just don't understand why Faceless Haven triggered the robbers. Haven is considered an all type, so that means a rogue, but my robbers were exiled so why would their ability still trigger?
Robber of the Rich triggers when you attack with it and sets a restriction at the time when you can cast the stolen spells. Being able to cast the spells isn't a separate trigger.

QFNS

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The Kiora numbers are super inflated because some Tibalt's Trickery decks run them and those decks play/concede games super quick. So the stats get massively inflated. The Untapped.gg people even mentioned this was an issue on reddit. They don't have a solution for it though, but its worth noting that because that deck can grind games (win or loss) really quick it makes it seem like its a bigger part of the meta game than it is. Or at least it makes it look like more players are playing it. When perhaps its a lower number of individuals playing the deck compared to other things (the Untapped.gg people did NOT say that).

That said its clearly a popular enough Saga to see play in multiple decks. I've definitely seen at least 1x in some Yorion decks besides the Tibalt ones.

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Anyone got into the mobile beta on android? How is the control/performance?
I've been poking around in it here and there, it's pretty damn close to the PC version in look and features, however it is not perfect. My main issue is the performance in-game. I have a Galaxy S20 and it's the only game so far to make my phone heat up and slow down. It's very playable, but the slowdown can cause you to misclick occasionally, especially with more permanents on the board. They've already stated they will be patching in performance enhancements and missing features (such as sideboarding during a draft) in the future, so for a first pass for the public this is not a bad effort at all. I'll be looking forward to the improved performance patches.

Piecake

Oct 27, 2017
ready to blow wildcards - any good mono color decks shake out in standard? white? red?

I would say that Mono red is probably the choice right now, but mono white might be the choice that will last longer in the future.

The reason being is that basically every single good red that you are going to play in the mono red aggro deck is going to rotate in 7 months. With Mono white (or mono white splash red) you got the following cards that are still going to be sweet when rotation happens

Usher of the Fallen
Luminarch Aspirant
Maul of the Skyclaves
Skyclave Apparraition
Showdown of the Skalds (RW card)

mtgazone.com

MTG Arena Zone • Magic: The Gathering Arena

MTG Arena Zone is your best Magic: The Gathering Arena information & strategy site, featuring guides, news, meta tier lists, decks, and more.

That site posts a bunch net decks

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I would say that Mono red is probably the choice right now, but mono white might be the choice that will last longer in the future.

The reason being is that basically every single good red that you are going to play in the mono red aggro deck is going to rotate in 7 months. With Mono white (or mono white splash red) you got the following cards that are still going to be sweet when rotation happens

Usher of the Fallen
Luminarch Aspirant
Maul of the Skyclaves
Skyclave Apparraition
Showdown of the Skalds (RW card)

mtgazone.com

MTG Arena Zone • Magic: The Gathering Arena

MTG Arena Zone is your best Magic: The Gathering Arena information & strategy site, featuring guides, news, meta tier lists, decks, and more.

That site posts a bunch net decks
mtgazone.com

White Weenie Kaldheim Standard Deck Guide: Punish the Greedy Decks • MTG Arena Zone

Hello again!Today I got one of my pet decks for you and it's actually packing a punch. Standard right now is about who goes bigger and faster with , and

Thanks! Seems like a cheap enough deck to start playing real games again.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Tier list for the new meta

Methodology
When constructing the tier list, we take into account a variety of factors and sources:

• Field representation, win rate and matchups: How prolific a deck is on the Mythic ladder and how it stacks up against the other popular decks in the metagame.
  • Third-party applications: that track matches and publishes the data directly from ladder play. Currently, we have access to Untapped.gg, MTGA Assistant, MTG Arena Pro and MTG Arena Tool.
  • Tournaments: Important results shaped professional players. MTGmeta.io and MTG Data aggregates these results to analyze their performance.
  • Game Mode: As a general rule, best-of-one (BO1) prefers linear strategies and the metagame is different from Traditional best-of-three (BO3). Read more about the differences here. Generally speaking, the tournaments results are in BO3 only, have a much smaller sample size and its environment is very different from an open MTG Arena ladder experience.
  • Opinion: Our own ladder experience and in consultation with players.
  • Others: If a deck doesn't appear below, either the play rate of it is too low for it to make a tangible impact or it falls below the tier 3 threshold which we sometimes will highlight as Honorable Mentions below. It doesn't mean it's a bad deck either, as this will just be focused on the most popular decks in the current metagame.

mtgazone.com

Bo1 Standard Metagame Tier List and Rankings - May 2024 • MTG Arena Zone

The best MTG Arena Best of One Standard (Bo1) decks in our meta tier list comes with the latest up to date decklists.

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
Tier list for the new meta

mtgazone.com

Bo1 Standard Metagame Tier List and Rankings - May 2024 • MTG Arena Zone

The best MTG Arena Best of One Standard (Bo1) decks in our meta tier list comes with the latest up to date decklists.
Out of all the tier 1/2 BO1 decks, which one is the most fun to play?

QFNS

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Still loving Historic. With Uro gone there are tons of viable decks right now. Jund Sacrifice is probably still the strongest, but Goblins, UW Control, Gruul of several varieties, Coco Angels/Clerics, Rakdos Vamps (ehhh its really just a Valki/Tibalt shell), probably several others too. Even at Mythic (which I hit this month with Coco Angels & Clerics) there's decent variety. Probably a lot of Sac and UW Control, but still decent variety.

Standard even seems like its in a good place with Kaldheim. Mono W is good again??? That's been a dead color for a long time. Happy to see the formats getting shaken up.

QFNS

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
magic.wizards.com

Get Ready for Historic Anthology IV | MAGIC: THE GATHERING

25 new-to-MTG Arena cards arrive to shake up what we know about Historic formats.

25 cards coming to Historic, shown in the article

Kinda meh on this one to be honest. Death's Shadow is loved and will certainly see some play (Rakdos Arcanist would certainly play it, maybe some others?), Harmless Offering has some silly jank potential (Boros Nine Lives? LOL), Marit Lage is gonna see play too in whatever snow deck is decent and wants blue, and Icecrab is gonna make Historic Rogues REALLLY annoying. Thraben Inspector will see play simply because White has nothing else and they will take this. Its not going to enable a new deck but it will get shoehorned into existing CoCo piles and be fine there.

But really a bunch of these cares a kinda meh?

Declaration in Stone is kinda better than Baffling End, but also is worse sometimes. It will see play because White in Historic has no better options. I suspect it will be worse often enough to make it not worth replacing all the Baffling Ends and so you'll end up with some mix of the two. That's kinda a bummer. That 9 mana enchantment is just some jank. I can't imagine any deck seriously wanting that.

There's also a disturbingly large amount of Amonkhet and Kaladesh cards here and given that they just did a Kaladesh Remastered set and an Amonkhet remastered set, you would have thought they'd put those in there and not make people pay for them via a Anthology. AND to top it off most of them are WAY too low power to see play in constructed. Sure they would be absolute HOUSES in draft, but these are for constructed only. Weird choice. Flameblade Adept, Torment of Scarabs and Faith of the Devoted are pretty good uncommons, but no one is going to be playing these in Historic. A format with Thoughtsieze, Muxus, and Collected Company isn't playing most of these cards and that makes this whole Anthology a hard sell.

The two Mythics in HA4 are: a 9 mana white sorcery and a 3 mana equipment (costs 2 more to equip also). Those are pretty bad. The "Sword of" cycle sees play in other formats, but not this Sword, and that Sorcery is just... uh... really expensive? Not good value there.

The rares are a mixed bag. Some stuff will see play, lots of others won't. I probably won't get this and will just craft the rares that get used and skip all the Mythics entirely. Seems like a REALLY tough sell for $25.

Oct 28, 2017
The anthology is worth the 25k gold for the playset of Blinkmoth Nexus and Death's Shadow alone to whoever plays Historic on a regular basis. Everything else is just a nice bonus.

It seems they are trying to push mutate, cycle and snow strategies, all of which do not see any play whatsoever in Historic at the moment. The cycling deck is notoriously cheap to craft and most people will have snow cards from the latest set so maybe this is a way to let newer players get into Historic without having to spend a lot of money in old sets? Seems reasonable.

It's a fine collection of cards and for once you know what you're getting for your money.

QFNS

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
If you're going to play Blinkmoth Nexus, why not just put in Crawling Barrens or Faceless Haven? Both are stronger land-creatures and Barrens grows over time.
I agree Blinkmoth is nice and will probably see some play, but if I'm picking land-creatures I'd rather have those two before Blinkmoth.

Oct 28, 2017
If you're going to play Blinkmoth Nexus, why not just put in Crawling Barrens or Faceless Haven? Both are stronger land-creatures and Barrens grows over time.
I agree Blinkmoth is nice and will probably see some play, but if I'm picking land-creatures I'd rather have those two before Blinkmoth.
Why not both *gif*. As I see it, Crawling Barrens is an end of turn mana sink and Faceless Haven can't really be played outside of mono-colored snow decks. Blinkmoth is no Mutavault but can be played as a creature as early as turn two, that is, It serves a realistic defensive purpose in the early game that the others can not.

No doubt it is going to find a home in Tempered Steel and Forsaken Monument decks but it's a nice manland all around.

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
Codes for MTG Arena sleeves:

MathWhizzes - Quandrix
DebateDuelists - Silverquill
SwampPunks - Witherbloom
ArtClub - Prismari
RockJocks - Lorehold

N7vlSIH.png

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Update is smaller than I expected. 200mb and another 81mb ingame.

lol nevermind there is another 1.13 gb after that.

Last edited: