• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's a fun format. Something different with no cost to build decks.

would prefer a format without blood moon though (and without ragavan / bolt / memory lapse / oko / minsc & boo / delighted halfling / one ring / etc.)
What I would really love to see them bring back are the meta change-up events, where they would take e.g., Standard and ban the top 10 cards or whatever.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've been having decent success with various Delver lists, and now am on some Sneak Attack/Blood Moon nonsense which is very fun. It does seem like this might be a future "real" format that's a weird modern/legacy-lite kind of thing that'll slowly get more powerful as they put more stuff into it. I do feel a little bad that some people are queueing into it with what seem like standard decks not knowing what's in store and it feels a little mean using actual Counterspell or Swords to Plowshares on some do nothing 3 drop or whatever.

Also a format this degenerate should really have the option to do best of 3. Would be much more fun to have side boarded games where you know what the opponent is up to.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
So I've installed Arena for the first time. After the tutorial I checked the Mail icon and I... got like 20 free packs total (from various events)? And I have tons of cards now? A bit overwhelming, but I'm not gonna complain I guess. Wonder if I can build something decent with them :D

Also, if someone could explain counters to me like I'm 5 years old... Like, what is "oil counter"? Counter to what? This game could REALLY use a simple UI tool so I can just have all the info about various mechanics by hoovering cursor over them, but that's not the case. Only some things are explained on cards.

Last edited:

pioneer

May 31, 2022
So I've installed Arena for the first time. After the tutorial I checked the Mail icon and I... got like 20 free packs total (from various events)? And I have tons of cards now? A bit overwhelming, but I'm not gonna complain I guess. Wonder if I can build something decent with them :D

Also, if someone could explain counters to me like I'm 5 years old... Like, what is "oil counter"? Counter to what? This game could REALLY use a simple UI tool so I can just have all the info about various mechanics by hoovering cursor over them, but that's not the case. Only some things are explained on cards.

It's not a counter that counters a spell on the stack, it's a counter that a permanent gets. It's doesn't do anything on its own, but there's cards that have abilities based on how many oil counters it has, such as "this creature gets +1/+1 for each oil counter on it." And if you hover over a card rules explanation tool tips do pop up.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
The name makes more sense when you realize that in the physical card game, you were expected to put actual counters (i.e. glass beads and such) on the cards; though most people use dice.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'm back into it. Playing mono red because it was the cheapest thing I could make atm. People are just conceding, I'm sorry lol

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Image.ashx
+
Image.ashx

e795d3bfaa35b8843bf27b83e65a111d.gif

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
You get 5000XP and a card sleeve if you make this deck. This was some kind of ARG puzzle for the set.

Deck name: thewayisopen

Code:
1 Extract a Confession (MKM) 84
1 Homicide Investigator (MKM) 86
1 Leering Onlooker (MKM) 91
1 Glint Weaver (MKM) 162
1 Granite Witness (MKM) 206
1 Meddling Youths (MKM) 219
1 Furtive Courier (MKM) 59
1 Case of the Stashed Skeleton (MKM) 80
1 Out Cold (MKM) 66
1 The Pride of Hull Clade (MKM) 172
1 Reckless Detective (MKM) 141
1 Novice Inspector (MKM) 29

pioneer

May 31, 2022
I wish they gave away a little currency for that or something :( don't care for the sleeve and I already play enough that extra XP isn't helpful

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
1-2. "This might be the worst deck I've ever drafted." I went 7-2.

Honestly starting to feel like a decent 2 drop is better than a bomb rare in this set.

starpower

The Fallen
Jan 23, 2018
Canada
five hundred free gold in the shop for today

some codes that may still be working:
magicarena.fandom.com

Codes

Codes are given out to the community at special events or can be purchased with physical products. They can be redeemed in the in-game store for various items ranging from cards, packs, cosmetics to free entries to certain events.[1][2] For example, during the first Mythic Invitational in March...

Oct 25, 2017
Don't shit on me...

Anyone have solid recommendations for a draft helper, meta tracker, etc. preferably free if that even exists.

I suck at drafting and I have 6 tokens. What is the 'best use of them'?

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Don't shit on me...

Anyone have solid recommendations for a draft helper, meta tracker, etc. preferably free if that even exists.

I use Untapped.gg for my meta tracking. I don't know if it offers draft help though. I don't draft.

It also has a handy little overlay that will show you what cards are left in your deck and what your percentage chance of drawing each of them is if you hit alt + Q.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Okay this is nice so far, seems to have a lot of paid support though.
Yeaaaah that's the only down side. When I first started using it that wasn't so bad. But it's ramped up a bit. But all of my recorded data is on there so I don't want to switch to a new one.

I mostly just use it to tell me what the most competitive decks were in the past 24hrs to see if anything new popped up and to see my deck.

pioneer

May 31, 2022
Don't shit on me...

Watching streamers and listening to podcasts helped my draft game IMMENSELY. If you're interested, here's a good starting point -

youtu.be

Outlaws Of Thunder Junction State of the Format Address! | Limited Level-Ups | Draft Guide

After a week of drafts, we dive into the best cards, decks, and strats in Thunder Junction draft!0:00 Intro0:30 Big Picture Ideas28:03 Archetypes51:05 The Co...

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Skeletons is kind of good lol ☠️

Tinybones fucks people up and they don't realize it 😂

Last edited: