• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
EhalKsOXcAAbQM9

Starting to think "this has reach?!" is literally part of red's color pie now, lol.
Yeah, it feels like, in each new set, they give red one creature with reach to make people do a double take and say "Wait, what? What do you mean you can block my flyer!?" Like, a curve-ball or something.

Relic Golem; Deliberate; Relic Vial; Skyclave Squid
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
pj9pg9tbczl51.png

Interesting design

EhavEnqXgAEni7T

Instant Preordain for 2, or Omen of the Sea but not enchantment and without the sac ability.

vp25ebn4czl51.png

Odd design. The second ability is templated so you don't see the trigger on Arena even if you don't control a Cleric.

EhannPOWsAMJHES.png:large
EhanoU1XgAEfvXy.png:large

Meh Limited card.

And the dumbest preview gimmick

Submit your artwork and they'll reveal the card tomorrow!
You know, tomorrow, when the full reveal happens anyway.

Tazeem Roilmage; Nimana Skydancer; Kor Celebrant; Shatterskull Charger; Thundering Sparkmage; Nimble Trapfinder; Marauding Blight-Priest; Shatterskull Minotaur; Verazol, the Split Current
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png

Mage of Tazeem Tides - 1U
Creature - Merfolk Wizard
Kicker (4)
When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, if it was kicked, return target instant or sorcery card from your graveyard to your hand.
2/1

unknown.png

Sky Dancer of Nimana - 2B
Creature - Human Rogue
Flash
Flying
When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, target opponent mills two cards.
2/1

unknown.png

Celebratory Kor - 2W
Creature - Kor Cleric
Whenever CARDNAME or another creature enters the battlefield under your control, you gain 1 life.
1/4

EhbaI3XWsAERK5w

This is similar to the dash mechanic.

unknown.png

No "your opponent controls" restriction, and it's mandatory, as a heads up.

unknown.png

Interesting design.

unknown.png

unknown.png

EhbXl47XgAE76Zv

It looks at "amount of mana spent to cast it" rather than X due to Commander. Surprised to see another card that copies permanent spells.

Oct 28, 2017
unknown.png

Mage of Tazeem Tides - 1U
Creature - Merfolk Wizard
Kicker (4)
When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, if it was kicked, return target instant or sorcery card from your graveyard to your hand.
2/1

unknown.png

Sky Dancer of Nimana - 2B
Creature - Human Rogue
Flash
Flying
When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, target opponent mills two cards.
2/1

unknown.png

Celebratory Kor - 2W
Creature - Kor Cleric
Whenever CARDNAME or another creature enters the battlefield under your control, you gain 1 life.
1/4

EhbaI3XWsAERK5w

This is similar to the dash mechanic.

unknown.png

No "your opponent controls" restriction, and it's mandatory, as a heads up.

unknown.png

Interesting design.

unknown.png

unknown.png

EhbXl47XgAE76Zv

It looks at "amount of mana spent to cast it" rather than X due to Commander. Surprised to see another card that copies permanent spells.

Verazol canalso be cast X=0!

Myriad Construct; Throne of Makindi
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
EhbX0CMXkAAX4eN.png
EhbX1rFWoAE6QfV.png

Interesting card, including with the weird kicker.

u4bpy9f5j0m51.png

Makindi Throne
Land
Tap: Add <>
(1), Tap: Put a charge counter on CARDNAME
Tap, Remove a charge counter from CARDNAME: Add two mana of any color. Spend this mana only on kicked spells.

Really bad land.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I feel like Party is a mechanic I'd see in a low-tier Yu-Gi-Oh deck.

Which means it's probably either going to be god-awful bad or get such blatant over-tuned tribal support cards that it's playable but unfun.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Set is a huge disappointment to me...again. You'd think they would nail Zendikar after the horrible BOZ set but nope, still pretty average.

Party: super narrow and doesn't feel great at all
Kicker: everything is over-costed. Only one card I love is the reanimator guy with kicker.
DFC lands: the only saving grace IMO, pretty fun design if not dangerous for the health of the game (all your cards do something!)
Landfall: while one of the best mechanics in the whole game, I feel it's lackluster here.

I miss traps and allies which both conveyed better the sense of adventure. Now it feels forced with the Party thing. Set also seems like a return to low-powered cards because nothing excites me really. There's a few goodies for Commander but I'll wait for the full spoiler (missing ~10 cards now) before passing final judgment

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I mean it's not so much that the artifact's jank, it's broken straight out of the box. It's more jank if you don't do something completely absurd with it.

Sep 14, 2018
Set is a huge disappointment to me...again. You'd think they would nail Zendikar after the horrible BOZ set but nope, still pretty average.

Kicker: everything is over-costed. Only one card I love is the reanimator guy with kicker.
DFC lands: the only saving grace IMO, pretty fun design if not dangerous for the health of the game (all your cards do something!)
Landfall: while one of the best mechanics in the whole game, I feel it's lackluster here.

I miss traps and allies which both conveyed better the sense of adventure. Now it feels forced with the Party thing. Set also seems like a return to low-powered cards because nothing excites me really. There's a few goodies for Commander but I'll wait for the full spoiler (missing ~10 cards now) before passing final judgment
They intentionally reigned in this set's power level and hopefully all the next ones too. I think companions needing a rules change was a wake up call, in case Hogaak, Oko, FoD, Astrolabe, Teferi, Uro, Fires, Underworld Breach, etc, etc weren't enough of one.

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
EhbXl47XgAE76Zv

Yeah, this seems to be extremely strong. You could even play it for UG and sacrifice it to copy a big spell that very same turn. If Simic has good kicked spells, this could be the "lucky clover" for a "Kicker deck".

You could even copy Jace and have three of him instead of two (not as good as having four, but it's versatile).

Hogger

Nov 18, 2017
The party mechanic just seems strange for Zendikar. I wish they saved it for their D&D set.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Allies always felt like some Sliver-style army rather than an actual adventuring group. They were also a complete mess from a flavor perspective; what makes something an Ally? I don't miss the concept at all.

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
They haven't said it explicitly, but they're totally going to use it in the D&D set too.
Well, if they're going to re-use mechanics from the same Standard, I wish they had re-used Adventure for this set, it fit the whole "Zendikar is the adventure world" thing.

Then again, we know that the D&D set is going to replace the Core Set 2022, so it could have a lot of returning mechanics and reprints (I guess Fireball is going to be a thing again?)

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
I love Adventure, but I suspect they wouldn't want to do two different mechanical frame treatments in the same set, and they seem committed to MDFCs, doing them in three consecutive sets.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming they're doing DFCs in so many sets in a row for printing efficiency, right? It's a slightly different printing process, so it makes sense to switch up the process and then leave it that for a bit before switching it back.

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
Yeah I can say without a doubt other than the modal lands, the shade, and that BG hydra that this set looks really shitty to me. You can do a moderate power level set like Dominaria but still be good. I fear that the vocal will win and standard power level is gonna be shit for a long while

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if there's room to use Landfall as a negative effect to balance higher power level elsewhere on a card?

Lightning Ovum - 1R

Haste

Landfall - When a land enters the battlefield, destroy ~.

3/1

Relic Axe; Relic Amulet; Land's Wrath Commander deck list; Rogue deck new cards; Magic Story - Race to the Murasa Skyclave
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
MaRo stated on Blogatog that the printing prices for DFC have not gone down, they just thought it was worth the additional price this time.

~~~

Full reveal is actually going to be tomorrow.

en_aUtkJl1Xob.png

This is the card that the tweet I posted before was supposed to unveil. They're still slow rolling its reveal even though it's in the card image gallery, lol.

en_dlIlo47sUc.png

Seems good.

Now we have Commander deck reveals today! These are expected to go for about $20 each, but it seems like their value is about what you'd expect from a normal more expensive Commander deck.

Here's the full reveal for Land's Wrath
bleedingcool.com

Magic: The Gathering's Land's Wrath Commander Decklist Revealed

The Land's Wrath Commander deck for Magic: The Gathering's newest upcoming expansion, Zendikar Rising is being revealed right here and now!

MTG Deck: Land's Wrath precon

The Land’s Wrath preconstructed Commander deck. Thank you to Wizards of the Coas...

New cards
Obuun-Mul-Daya-Ancestor.webp
Trove-Warden.webp
Geode-Rager.webp

Includes Omnath, Locus of Rage, which is $7.

We just have the new cards for Rogue deck
c4agpcm3e5m51.jpg

And new Magic Story! I'll summarize later.
magic.wizards.com

Episode 2: Race to the Murasa Skyclave | MAGIC: THE GATHERING

Nahiri arrives in Sea Gate in search of an adventuring party while Jace tries to get a clue.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, were the set booster boxes always 150? I could have sworn when they were announced the price would be closer to draft booster boxes. Or is this another one of those "a bit more" moments?

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, were the set booster boxes always 150? I could have sworn when they were announced the price would be closer to draft booster boxes. Or is this another one of those "a bit more" moments?

It is/was supposed to be around the same price (like 10-15 bucks more), but speculation on 'the list' (same as mystery boosters)', along with the possibility of having 'somewhat' less draft chaff has seemingly increased prices.

edit:

Looks like most of The List is out there, and there's some weird shit on there.

Oh god, why is springjack Shepard back - I have flashbacks from when I opened waaaay too many in Mystery boosters.

Otherwise, some good staples for commander and the like (scrouge of the throne, platinum angel, skullclamp, just to name a few), but if your odds of getting a 'list' card are so low already, why are there so many of them...

or am I misremembering that the odds of even pulling a list card are pretty slim?

Last edited:

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
A List card will replace the token slot card in 1 in 4 set boosters.

Hope I don't end up with that useless conspiracy card.

I preordered mine for $126.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Their 'retail' should be much lower, this is just the inflation that has been going on. They were obtainable for like 100-115 a monrh or two ago.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm, gonna have to check in with the LGS then. There's usually a couple dollars "local tax" on boxes I don't mind paying to help out the store, but sometimes if the speculation is high they can't ignore it. I was just looking online and got caught off guard by the difference. Ty all

Status
Not open for further replies.