• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1258

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
So if I understand this right, she apologized for outing that she got sexual assaulted and that someone from her group outed her home address?

Idol industry sucks and needs fixing.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but it's a different country so sexism is historical and complicated and probably ok because I respect all cultures.

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
What we know is two men held her down. And the police let them go when they said they were just trying to talk to her.

While holding her down.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Knowing stuff like this happens makes it really hard for me to enjoy any type of idol content.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The idol industry is disgusting and one of the worst things out of Japan in a long time. A woman being forced to apologize for acknowledging that she was sexually assaulted is just the height of misogyny.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Matsumoto's joke at her expense was particularly gross....

This instance reminds me of the idol a couple years back who shaved her head and apologized bald for dating while an idol.
Idol culture is fucking trash.

Oct 27, 2017
What we know is two men held her down. And the police let them go when they said they were just trying to talk to her.

While holding her down.
Why the hell do they even have cops then?
Is this sort of shit accepted that bullshit like this happen?

Hopefully next election has someone who is better than the one in charge because he is clearly doing a really bad job.

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
Wow, I used to like watching the New Years batsu game every year. Matsumoto is fucking canceled.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
It's so sad that idols are expected to behave this way just so their male fans can keep their fantasies intact.

It's so the management can keep making money. MONEY MONEY MONEY. These idols make jack shit anyway, but it's considered a prestigious job. It kind of reminds me how the videogame industry treats most of their workers like shit, but they can afford to do so because people are willing to put up with a lot to pursue their dream job.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Ain't just idol culture. Japan's treatment of women in general when it comes to assault/rape is gross.

yep

I post this blurb every once in a while when this comes up:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/29/world/asia/japan-rape.html

The police and courts tend to define rape narrowly, generally pursuing cases only when there are signs of both physical force and self-defense and discouraging complaints when either the assailant or victim has been drinking.

Last month, prosecutors in Yokohama dropped a case against six university students accused of sexually assaulting another student after forcing her to drink alcohol.

And even when rapists are prosecuted and convicted in Japan, they sometimes serve no prison time; about one in 10 receive only suspended sentences, according to Justice Ministry statistics.

This year, for example, two students at Chiba University near Tokyo convicted in the gang rape of an intoxicated woman were released with suspended sentences, though other defendants were sentenced to prison. Last fall, a Tokyo University student convicted in another group sexual assault was also given a suspended sentence.

"It's quite recent that activists started to raise the 'No Means No' campaign," said Mari Miura, a professor of political science at Sophia University in Tokyo. "So I think Japanese men get the benefit from this lack of consciousness about the meaning of consent."

according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics.

"Prejudice against women is deep-rooted and severe, and people don't consider the damage from sexual crimes seriously at all," said Tomoe Yatagawa, a lecturer in gender law at Waseda University.

Her hesitation is typical. Many Japanese women who have been assaulted "blame themselves, saying, 'Oh, it's probably my fault,'" said Tamie Kaino, a professor emeritus of gender studies at Ochanomizu University.

Hisako Tanabe, a rape counselor at the Sexual Assault Relief Center in Tokyo, said that even women who call their hotline and are advised to go to the police often refuse, because they do not expect the police to believe them.

"They think they will be told they did something wrong," she said.

The police officers she spoke to initially discouraged her from filing a complaint and expressed doubt about her story because she was not crying as she told it, she said. Some added that Mr. Yamaguchi's status would make it difficult for her to pursue the case, she said.

In 2016, the most recent year for which government statistics are available, the police confirmed 989 cases of rape in Japan, or about 1.5 cases for every 100,000 women. By comparison, there were 114,730 cases of rape in the United States, according to F.B.I. statistics, or about 41 cases per 100,000 residents, both male and female.

Scholars say the disparity is less about actual crime rates than a reflection of underreporting by victims and the attitudes of the police and prosecutors in Japan.

Over the summer, Parliament passed the first changes to Japan's sex crime laws in 110 years, expanding the definition of rape to include oral and anal sex and including men as potential victims. Lawmakers also lengthened minimum sentences. But the law still does not mention consent, and judges can still suspend sentences.

And despite the recent cases, there is still little education about sexual violence at universities. At Chiba, a course for new students refers to the recent gang rape as an "unfortunate case" and only vaguely urges students not to commit crimes.

Ms. Ito published a book about her experience in October. It has received only modest attention in Japan's mainstream news media.

Isoko Mochizuki, one of the few journalists to investigate Ms. Ito's allegations, said she faced resistance from male colleagues in her newsroom, some of whom dismissed the story because Ms. Ito had not gone to the hospital immediately.

"The press never covers sexual assault very much," she said.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
The only bright side to this is that the reaction from the public isn't what management from the group had expected. They thought what people wanted to see was her apologizing. But it instead backfired and people are furious about it. Since then management has been turned on its head. Lots of sponsors have decided to drop support of the group as a result of them making her apologize. And lots of former 48 group members are ripping management for its handling.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
This is horrible. idol culture is absolutely awful. Makes me guilty that i even enjoy some of idol songs, i will have to boycott. What a horrible industry.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
As others have said Idol culture is garbage, but the issues with Japan's attitudes toward women go far beyond that especially when it comes to sexual harassment/assault.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
This always happens with more trad idols it seems, i can't think of a single alt/indie idol this has happened to.
I assume trad groups are run by some yakuza or something

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Idol culture does suck. I listen to a lot of K-pop and the "scandals" make me want to give up on the genre. It's not as bad as Japan's though.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Fucking sickening and all to please the stupid incels they have as fans. Idol culture is among the worst things to exist in Japan, literally self-victim blaming.
The only bright side to this is that the reaction from the public isn't what management from the group had expected. They thought what people wanted to see was her apologizing. But it instead backfired and people are furious about it. Since then management has been turned on its head. Lots of sponsors have decided to drop support of the group as a result of them making her apologize. And lots of former 48 group members are ripping management for its handling.
Oh, this is actually good to read, there's some hope.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
The response to this gross case has been different though, showing that times are changing. After the initial spineless non-response (they though it would pass) the manager of the group has now been removed.

Here's Japan's top idol Sashihara Rino response's: https://www.reddit.com/link/agj8ii/...usertext&utm_name=AKB48&utm_content=t3_agj8ii
I can't watch the video while at work. What did she say?

Yeah, found this thread because of hearing what Matsumoto said. That's just fucking gross and unacceptable.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017

This instance reminds me of the idol a couple years back who shaved her head and apologized bald for dating while an idol.
Idol culture is fucking trash.

I think this deserves its own thread to bring attention to this. Gaki no Tsukai is pretty popular overseas and I think people should be made away of this. Between this and the blackface last year, I'm never watching again.