Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of like FF12 where Vaan is the least important character even though he's put in the position of the MC, what are some other properties where we follow someone who's not the actual main character?

Since this was inspired by the combining robots thread, I'll start with:
Super Heavy God Gravion

The coolest and most important character and the one who gets the girl: Sandman
s052024002a.jpg

The leader, the one with the rarest ability and the cute guy every girl dreams of: Toga
o5XliN2FbnNkelAfbtlbGZsIAMpiiZpeHBQ1fOvk4fPjZfZDCy_JkgRSwCgXlVeJeMJYBmf5SphENs13NVHT5XelW1TcmwEKqQqd

The annoying guy who's kind of special, but not too special... also the MC: Eiji
temp_11926_28488.jpg

Gravion is the story of a guy who thought he was red realizing he's blue and his path to acceptance. Reshaping himself to be a listener instead of a speaker and to be a team player.
It's actively a joke that Eiji's color theme is red and Toga's blue given that their roles are the opposite.

H17KXCP.png

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Black Widow in her own movie?

The one guy from Tenjou Tenge. He was the main character for the first 3 episodes and then the whiny dick or got beat up by that character becomes the central main character. I will say, when the switch happened, fuck it sucked. And it went downhill from there.

OP
OP
Annubis

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
The one guy from Tenjou Tenge. He was the main character for the first 3 episodes and then the whiny dick or got beat up by that character becomes the central main character. I will say, when the switch happened, fuck it sucked. And it went downhill from there.
Poor Bob... forgotten by the plot immediately after 5 minutes into episode 1.
It's even worst once they ditch the 2 main girls to focus solely on Nagi.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Arguably Furiosa is the protagonist of a film named Mad Max: Fury Road. I think it's more of a two-handed where they both grow together but nonetheless.

Dredd did something similar a few years earlier where, by design, Judge Dredd is a static, emotionless character so they introduce the Anderson character who really is the heart and soul of the movie and the one who goes through the big arc in the film.

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Will Turner was intended to be the main character in Pirates but of course Depp owned the role so much it became the Jack Sparrow show

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
Kind of like FF12 where Vaan is the least important character even though he's put in the position of the MC, what are some other properties where we follow someone who's not the actual main character?
Vaan is not in the position of the MC. He's the point of view character, similar to your character in Xenoblade Chronicles X. We're just used to the POV char also being the MC.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Poor Bob... forgotten by the plot immediately after 5 minutes into episode 1.
It's even worst once they ditch the 2 main girls to focus solely on Nagi.

There were so many things wrong with that show when they could of made it at least passable.

I mean, wasn't it the guy with the 2 girls at that dojo in the beginning and then that guy only gets brought up later in the show because of how strong his brother was? Because the whiny blonde kid saw the one chick naked, it resulted in him being the main character. What kind of stupid shit is that?

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Masataka not being the mc of the series is the biggest crime. All the focus on Nagi and the sisters with their dragon powers really dragged the story down for me. Masa's fights later on were the best and he should have been the MC from the very beginning.

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
Raymundo is the actual main character of Xiaolin Showdown. Omi is just there to contrast just how much he doesn't change at all vs Ray's massive character growth

Oct 27, 2017
Jojo Part 7 should probably fit.

Gyro is the protagonist or at least started out as the protagonist then the last third started focusing on Johnny Joestar

OP
OP
Annubis

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
Of course, good ole Gundam SEED Destiny

I'm your happy new MC
the-hate-on-shinn-asuka-explained.png

Some episodes later: I FUCKING LOVE DOING WARCRIMES AND BEING THE WORST PERSON EVER!
e93b86e394f2f7bc422e64e0559b12d72c2abb75r1-1280-720v2_hq.jpg

Some episodes later: Don't worry, I'm back and I'll defeat the evil and save everyone
wp7772776.png

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I always considered Paul Walker the MC over Vin Diesel in Fast and Furious

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Judge Anderson arguably has more of a real character arc in comparison to Dredd himself in 2012's Dredd.

El Mariachi is kind of an afterthought compared to the supporting cast in Once Upon A Time in Mexico.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Jack in LOST

Whoops completely misread. Actual answer: everyone but Jack in LOST

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Of course, good ole Gundam SEED Destiny

I'm your happy new MC
the-hate-on-shinn-asuka-explained.png

Some episodes later: I FUCKING LOVE DOING WARCRIMES AND BEING THE WORST PERSON EVER!
e93b86e394f2f7bc422e64e0559b12d72c2abb75r1-1280-720v2_hq.jpg

Some episodes later: Don't worry, I'm back and I'll defeat the evil and save everyone
wp7772776.png

Athrun is the protagonist of SEED DESTINY and the one we follow throughout, though even he gets replaced by Kira eventually!

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Archie in Riverdale. The main plot usually revolves more around Jughead and/or Betty, while Archie's just kinda off doing his own weird thing.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I never followed the story other than the games, but if that means Witcher 4 could be a Ciri game... hell yeah!
The games all take place after the books so sadly this has no bearing on her being a main character. Heck if it wasn't a fan fiction trilogy it should have been a trilogy of Ciri going on her adventures through other worlds lol.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

White is the leader of the team and the best ninja of the bunch, but even Black gets more development than her

OP
OP
Annubis

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
Athrun is the protagonist of SEED DESTINY and the one we follow throughout, though even he gets replaced by Kira eventually!
Depends. In the movie version, I'd say Athrun is truly the MC, but the HD edition removed all his inner monologues which brings back Shinn as the MC of the first half.
I overall like the change in the HD edition, but I wish they kept the Athrun monologues for that purpose.