signal

Oct 28, 2017

The menu design and themes were so good. While maybe not as iconic, main menus from Ace Combat and Armored Core were also always pretty unique. Much respect to menu designers at Namco.

e: title was just Ridge Racer initially hence the OP

Last edited:
OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017

Not RR but also Namco, Techno Drive UI presumably by Minoru Sashida, who also did Ace Combat 3 but not Ridge Racer. Good job Namco.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
I'd imagine most people on this board haven't played the game, but Ridge Racer Slipstream (iOS/Android, and no longer available) had really fun menus.

Something I appreciate is that the menus in this game aren't just all on-screen at once. You don't just interact with a menu by tapping it, you also scroll up and down. It feels tactile—almost like they tried to replicate the design of a console game menu on a smartphone. Very cool.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I really miss Ridge Racer. I wasn't a fan of the series until Rage Racer and Type 4, but after those, I was convinced.

DjRalford

Dec 14, 2017
Man, I remember getting type 4 from an importer, it was the Japanese version as it was released over here later.

Great game.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Namco never topped the stylish vibes of R4, and probably never will.

1fxOdDf.gif

jVfyCGJ.gif

mpkZz0L.gif

Look how slick and smooth this is, while remaining functional every step of the way, perfectly executed with a uniquely identifiable color scheme! R4 was ahead of the curve when it came to UI design in video games.

RRV has some nice menus too but some of the design bits are kind of random compared to all-encompassing aesthetic.

luupAyQ.gif

wl9zgbJ.gif

E5kqBWW.gif[

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
I can't seem to find a .gif of it in motion, but even the Vita Ridge Racer menu was kinda cool with the Angel/Devil toggle that had different scrolling Reiko artwork in the background.

3950202_Normal_Menu.jpg
latest

I just miss Ridge Racer in general, that Switch game being cancelled was a real shame. And then that poll by the director or something about which one people would like to see remade being overwhelmingly won by RRT4.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
Rage too is a delight. This was the start of Namco using a notable art direction with a European flavour that set it apart from the typical blue sky arcade racers at the time and the menus matched the brooding aesthetic. The foundation was set for Type 4 for changing things up with a variety of Japanese/American locations and some stunning use of colour that to this day I feel is some of the best art direction in an arcade racer ever.

ragenpj69.gif

ragemenu0037ukkn.gif

ragecars2yjvn.gif

ragemenu001rgkcd.gif

Coming from RR it felt like Namco went full galaxy brain.
15919-menu-Ridge-Racer.jpg

V is such a dope aesthetic too, I think Type 4 is probably the more cohesive but V is charming as hell and has some wonderful transitions.

Last edited:

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
This thread smells like the 90's :D
I miss ridge racer avant garde aesthetic, and it also reminds me of Wipeout.

Last edited:

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Does Smash Ultimate count? It was developed by Bamco, but Michiko Sakurai did the menus.

Also fun fact, if you're wondering, yes, Michiko Sakurai is Masahiro's wife!
D4jktb8U4AAkHf5

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
R4 and Ace Combat 2 are my personal favourites from Namco's PSX output. The AC2 mission briefings and machine select screens are sublime. R4 is drenched in a slick, consistent style in every menu.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
R4 and Ace Combat 2 are my personal favourites from Namco's PSX output. The AC2 mission briefings and machine select screens are sublime. R4 is drenched in a slick, consistent style in every menu.
Ace Combat's briefings are still super slick.

ac7briefing.gif

ac7briefing2.gif

ac7briefing3.gif

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
R4's UI and overall design package is on a level above damn near everything I have ever played, even now. To say they nailed it with that game's aesthetic is an understatement.

The only thing I can think of that even approaches it in style is Persona 5. That's not even getting into the music, which I also think Namco has yet to top.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
I forget what was going on in my life but I missed most of the PS2. I had one but didn't play much, so I never played RR5. But I've got the soundtracks. This tune is one of the best.

Yeah, I have a bunch of the RR OSTs, they're amazing to listen to outside of the game and using them in other racing games that let you use custom soundtracks was the best.

RRV might be the best in the series, it's worth playing if you get the chance.

MufausaThe3rd

Dec 1, 2017
Bumping this thread because I recently started looking at UI designs and was infatuated by Ridge Racer Type 4's UI.

The loading screen transitions alone are so simple yet elegant to me.

1fxOdDf.gif

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017

Ridge Racer 7 was peak class for me. Everything is so beautiful and sleek.

Even the cinematics that would play when you got a new vehicle were too good.