• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018

Apparently playing online can cause other players in insert scripts into your game.

Reddit link with info

Maybe it could impact Elden Ring?

Now I'm not sure about playing it on PC.....

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
Invade me if old, didn't see a post about this. New exploit found that allows an invader to take control of your PC via Dark Souls 3 and seems like it could affect Elden Ring as well. Need to play offline to avoid risk. I'm not on the Discord from the screenshot so don't have the "prevention" method but I imagine the only way to be safe is to stay offline until this is fixed.

/r/EldenRing: It is now possible for Dark Souls 3 invaders to run code on your PC without permission. AKA RCE, Remote Code Execution. This same hack is possible in Elden Ring.

nglqxx1zp6d81.png

Exploit @ 1:20:10

RPG

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
This feels like the horrible evolution of those hacked items that would wreck your character and equipment.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Invade me if old, didn't see a post about this. New exploit found that allows an invader to take control of your PC via Dark Souls 3 and seems like it could affect Elden Ring as well. Need to play offline to avoid risk. I'm not on the Discord from the screenshot so don't have the "prevention" method but I imagine the only way to be safe is to stay offline until this is fixed.

/r/EldenRing: It is now possible for Dark Souls 3 invaders to run code on your PC without permission. AKA RCE, Remote Code Execution. This same hack is possible in Elden Ring.

Exploit @ 1:20:10

The people that streamer is playing with don't give a FFUUuuu

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Hopefully they get it fixed soon. I don't think I'd keep my PC pre-order if this exploit was in Elden Ring.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
The video of the exploit "happening" in real-time feels weirdly suspect.
Someone on the reddit post said that it's one specific user that has access to the exploit and is targeting bigger streamers to get eyes on the situation. The outcome in this case was not malicious, just the Windows narrator reading off some copy-pasta. But the point is that it was able to execute runtime commands on the system remotely.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's nuts. I thought the worst thing Souls hackers can do is soft-ban you from online by giving you hacked weapons that trip off anticheat detection.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
A few months back I was thinking of restarting Dark Souls 3 so I looked into mods to block invasions, since I knew people have been up to nefarious shit like this for a long time now. Apparently there's a community mod called Blue Sentinel which basically allows you to police invasions by detecting and booting cheaters. Which is cool but...the fact that this exists just made me decide to maybe not bother playing the game online at all, lol.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
If this works in elden ring, can FROM even release that game without fixing it or would that cause them to be legally liable for releasing a piece of software that put the user's PC at risk?

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
Elden Ring offline it is. Definitely not taking a risk with that in the wild.

From needs to comment and fix this immediately.

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020
this seems like kinda a big deal?? never played a souls game offline before but Elden Ring will be my first

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Wow that's a big fucking deal, thanks for the heads up. I've got Elden Ring pre-ordered too. If there's no explicit guarantee this is fixed then that's staying well offline.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If that's legit, that's some serious shit. Hope From actually patches DS3. Elden Ring I'm not so worried about.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah I play Souls games in offline mode because theres all kind of shitty exploits people can do and From doesn't care. Like the one where invaders can force a hacked dagger into your inventory that gives you souls which sets off the servers flags and softbans your whole ass account. Or one that sends players to NG+ instantly and locks you in the opening area.

The community had to make their own anti-cheat to deal with this crap.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
Just skimming the Reddit, this is (not yet) as serious as it sounds, and From have acknowledged it:

As of this moment this exploit isn't actually public. The only 2 people who have it are the blue sentinel dev and the person who made it. But from what I've read from multiple people is that the person who made this exploit isn't actually doing it for the bad. He's trying to help and get attention to this issue.

So as of now it's not dangerous but who knows how long this will last.

Also I've read somewhere that the guy who made the exploit used it on a streamer to test it. Honestly if that's true then wtf was he thinking.

UPDATE : Fromsoftware have acknowledged this issue in their Discord Server. So it seems like they're actually doing something to fix it. Thank god.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
One good thing about this being so serious is that maybe From will finally fix cheating in Dark Souls 3? Is it possible?

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
Here is the story as told by reddit (grain of salt):
- Hacker finds vulnerability and contacts Fromsoft but gets no response. This happened some time ago.
- At some point, they confirm that this problem exists in Elden Ring.
- The hack is demonstrated on live stream in Dark Sould 3 and is once again reported to From/Bandai through Discord. This is to create awareness and force Fromsoft to act.
- The person behind this has not released it to the public and is working with modders to fix Dark Souls 3.

So, basically all we can do is to hope that this is fixed before release of Elden Ring.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Here is the story as told by reddit (grain of salt):
- Hacker finds vulnerability and contacts Fromsoft but gets no response. This happened some time ago.
- At some point, they confirm that this problem exists in Elden Ring.
- The hack is demonstrated on live stream in Dark Sould 3 and is once again reported to From/Bandai through Discord. This is to create awareness and force Fromsoft to act.
- The person behind this has not released it to the public and is working with modders to fix Dark Souls 3.

So, basically all we can do is to hope that this is fixed before release of Elden Ring.

From Software should be sued for negligence not fixing the issue after someone proves the exploit is real and can cause major damage. How careless can they be?

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently a From Software rep acknowledged the issue in the Elden Ring Discord server. Here's hoping they also correct it in Dark Souls 3.
From Software should be sued for negligence not fixing the issue after someone proves the exploit is real and can cause major damage. How careless can they be?
It's unfortunately very common for big companies to ignore exploits like this even when it's reported to them directly. Off the top of my head, I know Valve and Apple have both done the same only to finally patch the issue when the exploit was publicly released.

Last edited:

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
As I understand things, the exploit was only proven and made public a few hours ago. We still have yet to find out how Fromsoft will respond. My guess is that they will take down the matchmaking servers.