• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't read comics and am not a power ranger fan, but the art work here is fucking great!
The whole series, even with rotating artists, has kept a very high quality bar. I've been super impressed and there are many pages and covers I'd love to just frame on my wall.
its_morphin_time.jpg

It's been a perfect blend of dynamic action, great staging, and bold colors that makes everything just pop off the pages.

Oct 25, 2017
The whole series, even with rotating artists, has kept a very high quality bar. I've been super impressed and there are many pages and covers I'd love to just frame on my wall.
its_morphin_time.jpg

It's been a perfect blend of dynamic action, great staging, and bold colors that makes everything just pop off the pages.
Yup, crazy how consistently good it stays throughout.

OP
OP
jwk94

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Do you need to watch the movies/tv shows for these?
Not really. As long as you know who the rangers are and the general premise, you'll be fine. If you've seen season 1 up to the green ranger introduction that's all you need for mmpr.

If you're reading go go, all you need to do is watch the first episode.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Do you need to watch the movies/tv shows for these?
But they are in the same continuity of each other?
They're fairly standalone and anything you need to know they do a good job of catching people up on. I'd even say the show itself serves more as a basis for this more modern take. It's both adaptation of the show as well as evolution of it.

It delves FAR deeper into the Rangers and their personalities, histories, families, social circles, responsibilities, youth, insecurities, and strengths than the original show (which I admittedly adored as a kid) ever did. It all feels so very organic, their development natural, and the monster encounters both inventive, threatening, and satisfying.

They're pretty much their own continuity, but much of what you read could fit between or alongside episodes of the show.

But this is definitely a modern interpretation. It takes place in the modern day with cell phones and twitter. Rita the villain is far more threatening and intimidating. Other factors like governments and police forces are involved. It's bigger and better than the show ever was.

Last edited:

Slyonic

Oct 29, 2017
You don't need to at all, it adds a tad to some of the enjoyment of certain points but isn't necessary.

Not really. As long as you know who the rangers are and the general premise, you'll be fine. If you've seen season 1 up to the green ranger introduction that's all you need for mmpr.

If you're reading go go, all you need to do is watch the first episode.

They're fairy standalone and anything you need to know they do a good job of catching people up on. I'd even say the show itself serves more as a basis for this more modern take. It's both adaptation of the show as well as evolution of it.

It delves FAR deeper into the Rangers and their personalities, histories, families, social circles, responsibilities, youth, insecurities, and strengths than the original show (which I admittedly adored as a kid) ever did. It all feels so very organic, their development natural, and the monster encounters both inventive, threatening, and satisfying.

They're pretty much their own continuity, but much of what you read could fit between or alongside episodes of the show.

But this is definitely a modern interpretation. It takes place in the modern day with cell phones and twitter. Rita the villain is far more threatening and intimidating. Other factors like governments and police forces are involved. It's bigger and better than the show ever was.

Thanks for the answers! The art is really good and the characters seem interesting, so I think I'll see if I can find these somewhere.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Well, I picked up my first MMPR comics this evening. Didn't even know there was a Go Go Power Rangers comic as well. D:
That one seems more appealing for several reasons, one being it has less issues to keep up with. ha

img_35451t0f5h.jpg

SaviourMK2

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Well, I picked up my first MMPR comics this evening. Didn't even know there was a Go Go Power Rangers comic as well. D:
That one seems more appealing for several reasons, one being it has less issues to keep up with. ha
img_35451t0f5h.jpg

Where did you get the cover with gold zero, yellow mighty morphin, red rpm, blue space and pink spd?

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Where did you get the cover with gold zero, yellow mighty morphin, red rpm, blue space and pink spd?

I found it at a local comic shop around me. I just got everything they had since any issue under $5 was only $1 and issues at $10 or over (like this, which is apparently an annual) were 50% off.

Kalnet

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fairly interested in this now. Loving the art style in some of the preview pages that I've read. Gonna start with go go first!

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
No problem! I'd double check to see what issues are included in those volumes first. Don't wanna rebuy stuff that you don't have to.

Edit
Go go volume 1 includes issues 1-4, so you need volume one and the issues 5-12.

Buying the first 5 volumes of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers will get you issues 1-20, so you need to buy 21-30.

This thread got me curious to check this stuff out. If anyone has a Comixology Unlimited sub, that has MMPR Vol. 1-4 and the first four issues of GGPR to read.

Definitely gonna check this out myself, just wanted to help out others who are curious!

OP
OP
jwk94

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Better look at Solar Ranger attacking the rangers in the MMPR 32 cover. Didn't notice this before, but I like how Mike's using his sword to keep himself from being blown away.
Dk_IaXoU8AEjINX.jpg:large

MMPR 33 Cover
DlKabSEX4AEiW0C.jpg:large

is anyone else a little disturbed by Drakkon and Finater-5s.... "relationship"
Eh, not really. Dude needed an alpha, so he got one.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Havent been reading since Shattered Grid started.

Are we not getting an actual White Ranger? One that isnt evil and from another dimension lol?

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
It's all great, folks. It may well be one of the best comics going at the moment, superhero or not. Having followed this wild ride since the start, I'm excited and terrified about the end of Shattered Grid next week.

Fully agree with the person who said it's the show as we imagined it as kids. The main stuff is all great, but my personal favorite story so far is "The Sweetest of Dreams" from the 25th Anniversary book which focused on Mystic Force of all things. It's written by Mags Visaggio and it's real good.

OP
OP
jwk94

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
It's all great, folks. It may well be one of the best comics going at the moment, superhero or not. Having followed this wild ride since the start, I'm excited and terrified about the end of Shattered Grid next week.

Fully agree with the person who said it's the show as we imagined it as kids. The main stuff is all great, but my personal favorite story so far is "The Sweetest of Dreams" from the 25th Anniversary book which focused on Mystic Force of all things. It's written by Mags Visaggio and it's real good.
That story was pretty good. My favorite one off has been The Trial of Astronema. I need more of that.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Better look at Solar Ranger attacking the rangers in the MMPR 32 cover. Didn't notice this before, but I like how Mike's using his sword to keep himself from being blown away.
Dk_IaXoU8AEjINX.jpg:large

MMPR 33 Cover
DlKabSEX4AEiW0C.jpg:large

Eh, not really. Dude needed an alpha, so he got one.

Who is the person with the cape in the MMPR 32 cover, in the top right corner? Have they shown up in the book yet?

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Netflix needs to honestly order a animated show of Power Rangers.

Season 1 -> Go Go Power Rangers, season finale Tommy shows up

Season 2 -> Green Ranger arc

Season 3/4 - > Lord Drakon/Shattered Grid/Ranger Slayer

Season 5 -> Beyond the Grid

Hasbro would probably end up selling more toys as well.

OP
OP
jwk94

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Netflix needs to honestly order a animated show of Power Rangers.

Season 1 -> Go Go Power Rangers, season finale Tommy shows up

Season 2 -> Green Ranger arc

Season 3/4 - > Lord Drakon/Shattered Grid/Ranger Slayer

Season 5 -> Beyond the Grid

Hasbro would probably end up selling more toys as well.
Honestly, I think go go and mmpr should be separate series. Both of them are way too good to shorten either series.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I think go go and mmpr should be separate series. Both of them are way too good to shorten either series.

I agree but considering the fact we don't even have one animated show yet I can't see us getting two lol. Hopefully. It would be dope. Adults and kids would tune in.

SaviourMK2

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Havent been reading since Shattered Grid started.

Are we not getting an actual White Ranger? One that isnt evil and from another dimension lol?

If you're referring to the White Tiger Ranger, I dont think it would help. Drakkon has those powers bluntly forced together with his Dragonzord power.
on top of samurai, zero and a slew of others just recently... dont forget this story takes place shortly after Tommy joined the team and waaaaay before Zedd, and with Tonmy dead and Drakkon not giving them time, theres no white ranger candidate

White Ranger was designed to give them an edge over Rita's greatest tool, the Green Ranger and now hes surpassed both Green and White
(hell, he's surpassed Red Ranger with dragon armor and battelizers now)

Sargerus

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Trini is the Red Ranger?

I really need to start reading this.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
If you're referring to the White Tiger Ranger, I dont think it would help. Drakkon has those powers bluntly forced together with his Dragonzord power.
on top of samurai, zero and a slew of others just recently... dont forget this story takes place shortly after Tommy joined the team and waaaaay before Zedd, and with Tonmy dead and Drakkon not giving them time, theres no white ranger candidate

White Ranger was designed to give them an edge over Rita's greatest tool, the Green Ranger and now hes surpassed both Green and White
(hell, he's surpassed Red Ranger with dragon armor and battelizers now)
The White Ranger powers are from Drakkon's universe. Zordon has yet to create them in this universe.

It would be neat if they copied the Coinless universe and gave them to Jason.

Hey I'm a big Jason fan, okay?

But seriously though, Tommy comes back if Pink is still canon

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
The White Ranger powers are from Drakkon's universe. Zordon has yet to create them in this universe.

It would be neat if they copied the Coinless universe and gave them to Jason.

Hey I'm a big Jason fan, okay?

But seriously though, Tommy comes back if Pink is still canon
Well time travel complicates things

Also Future Punished Kimmy giving Tommy a "second chance"

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait to read this. I wish the volumes came out quicker. I'm going have to switch over to individual issues.

Edit: Hasbro would be leaving to much money on the floor if they weren't considering adapting these comics into animated shows via Netflix. I said it before the comics themselves could act as storyboards for a show. Add or subtract as needed but let them be the base and foundation for a show.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Go Go Power Rangers will also have a shakeup after it returns in October 2018 (September's issue will be a "summer break" one shot)

Dk_Jj2BW4AIf_B7.jpg:large
The art is so good, and I just noticed that, despite switching colors, all the Rangers have an outline of their ORIGINAL colors around them. Very cool.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Solar Ranger indeed looks like it's from Kyurangers, at least the helmet.
Comics would be a nice way to introduce Goranger to Jetman teams to the grid :p

OP
OP
jwk94

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Boom released a preview of the Go Go Power Rangers: Back to School #1 one-shot. Preview includes all three covers (which we've already seen) as well as textless for some of the pages.

This issue is out September 19th.

Note: Since Dan Mora's artwork is now for the covers only, we don't know what the new issues will look like. Regardless, the art by the various people who contributed to the stories in this issue is really nice. I wouldn't mind if some of these people came back and stayed after the next artist shift.

Note 2:
Marguerite Bennett wrote these stories, so this will be our first look at her style before Beyond the Grid comes out.

Synopsis:
It's Spring Break for the Rangers, and the first time since they received their Power Coins that the Rangers will be apart. As they each embark on their own week-long vacation, these teenagers with attitude discover that being a hero doesn't always mean having to morph!

GOGOPR_BTS_A_Main_PROMO.jpg

GOGOPR_BTS_B_Variant_PROMO.jpg

GOGOPR_BTS_C_Variant_PROMO.jpg

GOGOPR_BTS_InteriorArt_PROMO2-609x1024.jpg

GOGOPR_BTS_InteriorArt_PROMO3-609x1024.jpg

GOGOPR_BTS_InteriorArt_PROMO4-609x1024.jpg

GOGOPR_BTS_InteriorArt_PROMO5-609x1024.jpg

GOGOPR_BTS_InteriorArt_PROMO1-609x1024.jpg

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It looks great. It's amazing Netflix has ordered live action Death Note 2, but they (and Hulu and others) haven't tried picking up the animated version of this. Or at the very least maybe Hasbro hasn't shopped it around. It looks soooo good.

SaviourMK2

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I recall reading that Toei is staunchly against having Power Rangers animated and is a condition upon using the stock footage. Because I remember reading Disney was going to do something animated but Toei said otherwise.