• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
If this is true then FSB checks all the xenophobic propaganda boxes they can (foreign looking suspects photos without due process, Ukraine mentions etc). They're utterly incompetent at protecting the Russian people, but they're awfully good at propaganda no matter the tragedy they try to exploit.

How can you not be good at propaganda when your the one that controls the information?

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Maybe I'm stupid but why would we warn Russia about anything?
Not sure why you're being attacked for this, as it's a fair question. But if you think it's bad to help others avoid terrorism, then maybe you should question your own morality. I'm not going to assume that about you, though.

And if you read that and come away with the question, "Is Russia still a partner of the US?" The answer is yes.

As someone else pointed out, in addition to potentially saving lives, it's also a strong flex on US Intelligence's part.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
When a tragedy like this happens I don't know why anyone would go to Twitter. Pics and videos will be all over and there'll be plenty of conspiracy theorists all around.

But this is tragic, saw the story yesterday and just woke up and saw the update on deaths and that's just terrible. It's always sad when innocent people just go about living their lives and having fun for it just to end in violence.

Kensation

The Enlightened "this guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't be surprised if the suspects they "captured" had nothing to do with it. Russia's security forces seem completely incompetent when caught unprepared.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why you're being attacked for this, as it's a fair question. But if you think it's bad to help others avoid terrorism, then maybe you should question your own morality. I'm not going to assume that about you, though.

And if you read that and come away with the question, "Is Russia still a partner of the US?" The answer is yes.

As someone else pointed out, in addition to potentially saving lives, it's also a strong flex on US Intelligence's part.

The questions that swirl if the US doesn't reach out to Russia about this also aren't great.

1) Did American intelligence fail to learn about the plot?
2) Did America have intelligence that could have saved lives and refuse to share it?
3) What are the potential motivations for #2 - did the US want Russia to be the victim of a massive terrorist attack?

In addition to being the moral choice, it was just the safer bet all around to share. Now add in all the reasons it's also important for it to be made clear that Putin was warned about an attack planned by ISIS, specifically.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
The questions that swirl if the US doesn't reach out to Russia about this also aren't great.

1) Did American intelligence fail to learn about the plot?
2) Did America have intelligence that could have saved lives and refuse to share it?
3) What are the potential motivations for #2 - did the US want Russia to be the victim of a massive terrorist attack?

In addition to being the moral choice, it was just the safer bet all around to share. Now add in all the reasons it's also important for it to be made clear that Putin was warned about an attack planned by ISIS, specifically.
Yep, it was very much the right thing to do to warn Russia, and now Russia looks foolish for not taking the warning seriously. Looks like Putin is using it as an excuse to further attack Ukraine anyway, so it's possible he didn't heed the warnings for a reason.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
I bet one person they caught, will have a huge "Ukraine" tattoo... Obviously beside a Swastika.

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
Wouldn't be surprised if the suspects they "captured" had nothing to do with it. Russia's security forces seem completely incompetent when caught unprepared.

Nah man, they're clearly the right people, and nobody will ever think otherwise. Darn "insert whoever is most convenient for Putin here"...

On an unrelated note, do you know the joke about the CIA, FBI and KGB going into the woods to find a rabbit?

mf.luder

Oct 28, 2017
Ugh, isn't Belarus in between Moscow and Kyiv? Edit: Looked at a map. I didn't know Moscow was that far east.

Alent

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
That's so many people wow...

And Putin's a useless shitbird of a leader i doubt any of the victim's families will ever get a concrete explanation.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure that he just wants to frame it as Ukraine although it's obviously not. Terrorists through and through

Sweet fucking Christmas... isis claimed responsibility you absolute knob! Also, your citi have access to the internet! Like this absolute comedy of the highest degree...a world leader is so obsessed with his dumb war that he is doing pr for the people that are bragging about doing the crime in question.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017

At the risk of fighting strangers online, yeah i know the map,

countries_europe_map.jpg

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
I'm Half surprise Putin didn't suggest that Zelinski committing the attack personally with Boris Johnson.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
EU =/= Europe. Most of russian population lives in part of Russia that is generally considered as part of Europe (west of ural mountains).
I will say Russia is definitely European, but Geographically speaking the fact that an assload of its Territory is more around China the idea of them not being considered European is a slightly understandable. Though you still have to ignore culture, trade, and a bunch of other stuff.

Though a population map really puts that to bed.
map-of-russia-by-population-density-simplified-v0-id1emy7a11ra1.jpg

Everybody crammed into the side closet to the rest of Europe.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I can't believe that people present maps in this thread and come to the conclusion that Russia isn't in Europe.
Crazy...

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
www.bbc.com

Moscow attack: Did Russia ignore US 'extremist' attacks warning?

The attack on a concert hall in Moscow raises difficult questions for Putin at a time of global mistrust.

The 7 March warning from the US to its own citizens was unusually specific. It talked of reports that "extremists" had "imminent plans to target large gatherings in Moscow" and specifically mentioned concerts. It advised Americans in the city to avoid large gatherings over the coming 48 hours.

The timing may not quite match, but other details do tally closely with events on 22 March. It seems clear Washington had some kind of intelligence and that it related to Islamic State (IS) - the group that has issued a statement saying it was behind the Moscow attack.

As well as the public warning to its own citizens, the US also said it had communicated with the Russian government directly.

"The US government also shared this information with Russian authorities in accordance with its long-standing 'duty to warn' policy," a US official said in a statement after the attack.

But the problem is that Moscow dismissed the warnings.

Three days before the attack, Russian President Vladimir Putin addressed the board of Russia's Federal Security Service (FSB), whose job is to defend the country. The top priority, he told the assembled leaders of the security service, was to support what he called the special military operation - the official phrase for the full-scale invasion of Ukraine.

He claimed that Ukraine had switched to what he called "terrorist tactics". He also spoke directly to what he said were "provocative statements" from the West about potential attacks within Russia. He said the warnings "resemble outright blackmail and the intention to intimidate and destabilise our society".

US intel to Moscow: "Hey...uh, ISIS is very likely going to commit a massive act of terror on a concert of some sort in the coming days."

Putin: "BULLSHIT THE WEST IS JUST TRYING TO DISTRACT AND DESTABILIZE US"

This is what happens with fascist leaders - they're so inherently paranoid and mistrustful of everyone that they ignore legitimate intelligence like this. The Russian people deserve so much better than this fucking lunatic.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
So there is a pretty violent video going around, where one of the suspects is getting detained and a man in a camouflage cuts off part of the suspect's ear and tries to put it into the suspect's mouth / tries to force the suspect to eat it.
I wouldn't dare to call terrorists "human", but people doing things like this don't exactly fall under my definition of "human" either. Just horrible.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
At the risk of fighting strangers online, yeah i know the map,

countries_europe_map.jpg
That's a map of the EU and EFTA members and candidate countries, not a map of europe as a whole.
The western part of Russia to the Ural mountains is in europe, 75% of Russia's population lives in that part, 11 of its 15 biggest cities are in europe, the russian culture as we know it originated there. While a bunch of their territory is in asia Russia it is still mostly a european country. Most Russians consider themselves to be european and there isn't even a debate about Moscow which is 100% a european city.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Europe is not a super definite concept, unlike Eurasia for example, and there is no absolute definition that everyone will agree on as a result. I wouldn't necessarily say it's a given that (western) Russians always identify as European either, considering Europe is often framed in an us vs. them relationship in political discourse. That said, I think culturally speaking the western half is very much European.

Last edited:

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Man, this thread really exposes the bias and basic programming that a lot of western people have about geopolitics.

Russia Bad, USA Good. Just simple minded binary thinking in regards to basic moral affiliation

Immediately speculating false flag attacks, warmongering the Ukrainian situation, questioning why Russia would deserve advance notice of an attack.

Equating Russian citizens with the sins of the government, but would also have the fucking nerve to pitch a fit if that was done to the US in the same way

Just low programmed behavior

RIP to the Russians who lost their lives in this horrible event

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
So there is a pretty violent video going around, where one of the suspects is getting detained and a man in a camouflage cuts off part of the suspect's ear and tries to put it into the suspect's mouth / tries to force the suspect to eat it.
I wouldn't dare to call terrorists "human", but people doing things like this don't exactly fall under my definition of "human" either. Just horrible.
And there's a real chance this suspect is just some dude they grabbed off the street.

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
Immediately speculating false flag attacks, warmongering the Ukrainian situation, questioning why Russia would deserve advance notice of an attack.

Questioning advance notice is weird, since there's nothing to be gained from withholding information in this case, and something to be gained from showing the population that their government could be doing more.

The rest, questioning false attacks, Ukraine, it's just knowing some history. It's like, if a US ship blew up in a place that the US government wished to intervene in, people would have questions of the "again?" kind...

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man, this thread really exposes the bias and basic programming that a lot of western people have about geopolitics.

Russia Bad, USA Good. Just simple minded binary thinking in regards to basic moral affiliation

Equating Russian citizens with the sins of the government, but would also have the fucking nerve to pitch a fit if that was done to the US in the same way

Just low programmed behavior

RIP to the Russians who lost their lives in this horrible event
Putin is already using this to warmonger against Ukraine. The invasion of Ukraine gives anyone who is reasonable plenty of reason to think Russia is bad. That doesn't mean that regular civilians going to a concert deserve this.
It's a shame civilians were killed and also a shame they have a government more interested in commiting genocide in Ukraine than heeding warnings.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Questioning advance notice is weird, since there's nothing to be gained from withholding information in this case, and something to be gained from showing the population that their government could be doing more.

The rest, questioning false attacks, Ukraine, it's just knowing some history. It's like, if a US ship blew up in a place that the US government wished to intervene in, people would have questions of the "again?" kind...

I understand established history, especially one as tumultuous as Russia's, however this was a fresh mass shooting event. As we all unfortunately know, that is one of the few times where speculations have no purpose. The events are far to fresh to be trying to point blame at the time, it was a lot easier to let details form in and then start to put pieces together from there

Right from jump there were false flag accusations, ideas that Russian State would blame Ukrainians etc. Now we hear that ISIS is involved and I'm sure things will develop even more from there

It's the people who threw out such claims are never going to come back and say "I was too hasty in judgement here"

Kensation

The Enlightened "this guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Clearly Putin doesn't want to be distracted from his main hobby of looking at old maps.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
I understand established history, especially one as tumultuous as Russia's, however this was a fresh mass shooting event. As we all unfortunately know, that is one of the few times where speculations have no purpose. The events are far to fresh to be trying to point blame at the time, it was a lot easier to let details form in and then start to put pieces together from there

Right from jump there were false flag accusations, ideas that Russian State would blame Ukrainians etc. Now we hear that ISIS is involved and I'm sure things will develop even more from there

It's the people who threw out such claims are never going to come back and say "I was too hasty in judgement here"

Uhm, isn't the Russian state quite literally doing this right now while being totally quiet about ISIS?

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I agree that some of the speculation was counterproductive and misguided. Some of it, however, is already playing out. See post 255, for example.

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017

But they've already started to blame the Ukrainians, DigitalOp.

View: https://twitter.com/Shayan86/status/1771527050328699201

View: https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1771516747125829917

View: https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1771508017525076313

That's how Russia works.

Nov 27, 2020

I don't think that it is a hasty judgment to presume that Putin would tune the narrative to somehow blaming Ukraine, regardless of who is blamed or takes credit for it. Which is precisely what's happening. It doesn't have to be a false flag or even an intentional failure by Russian intel to know that Putin will use any crisis to further his goals.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Putin is already using this to warmonger against Ukraine. The invasion of Ukraine gives anyone who is reasonable plenty of reason to think Russia is bad. That doesn't mean that regular civilians going to a concert deserve this.
It's a shame civilians were killed and also a shame they have a government more interested in commiting genocide in Ukraine than heeding warnings.

See, but what pisses me off is that someone can take this EXACT stance about Israel and their current actions in Palestine, and a majority of the western world would defame them for having such a stance

Meanwhile, that same Western society will turn around and use this EXACT logic to speak on Russia, just a terrible terrible world understanding in 2024. It's team sport rather than being anti harm across the globe

As long as the "right people" are the ones succumbing to violence. Just a sad state of geo politics right now

Turnscr3w

Jan 16, 2022
See, but what pisses me off is that someone can take this EXACT stance about Israel and their current actions in Palestine, and a majority of the western world would defame them for having such a stance

Meanwhile, that same Western society will turn around and use this EXACT logic to speak on Russia, just a terrible terrible world understanding in 2024. It's team sport rather than being anti harm across the globe

As long as the "right people" are the ones succumbing to violence. Just a sad state of geo politics right now
How about you don't whataboutism?