Oct 27, 2017
20318583.jpg

A man was arrested on Sunday, October 27 at around 23:40, rue d'Hauteville in the 10th arrondissement of Paris, after shouting "Allah Akbar" during a screening of the film "Joker" earlier in the evening in a movie theatre, the Grand Rex, in the 2nd arrondissement of Paris, franceinfo learned from police sources, confirming information from newspaper Le Parisien.

The man was present at the screening when he stood up, with another individual, and shouted "Allah Akbar" several times in this large cinema room with a capacity of 500 spectators. The two men then fled.

The first man, the author of the screams, was arrested by the police a few minutes later on rue d'Hauteville (10th), and placed in police custody. The second individual managed to escape. The 9th arrondissement police station was put in charge of the investigation.

Oct 26, 2017
1. Admittedly, I would shit my fucking pants

2. That said, it's not really that different from yelling "oh my god" is it? Which people definitely did during my screening of Joker

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
He was probably trying to freak out the French audience where the French lawmakers are ardent against anything Islamic while attempting to protect "white anglo judeo-Christian values". It's the right thing he got arrested though because he knew what he was doing in a society which fears people of certain race and religion though because of a phobia . He should have done it in a blog piece but knowing the French lawmakers he would have been arrested for that too

FILE_ID.DIZ

Banned
Jun 1, 2019
Fort Wayne
He was probably trying to freak out the French audience where the French lawmakers are ardent against anything Islamic while attempting to protect "white anglo judeo-Christian values". It's the right thing he got arrested though because he knew what he was doing in a society which fears people of certain race and religion though because of a phobia . He should have done it in a blog piece but knowing the French lawmakers he would have been arrested for that too
That's certainly a take. Now do you have anything to back it up or is this just you projecting your beliefs onto someone?

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I can only read the Google translation but it doesn't reveal what ethnicity the man was, was he white or Muslim?

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. Admittedly, I would shit my fucking pants

2. That said, it's not really that different from yelling "oh my god" is it? Which people definitely did during my screening of Joker

From what little I understand I don't think "oh my god" is a good parallel to Allahu Akbar.. I don't pretend to speak arabic but wouldn't it be more like yelling "Praise Jesus!"? which would be rather strange too (albeit not particularly threatening)

Dec 31, 2017
Yeahhhh that's probably not the smartest thing to do.

It's not right that that phrase is now stigmatized in the western world at all. But it is. Playing with fire.

Was this a muslim/brown guy?

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

I don't think anyone uses it like that. I've heard the terms "yaallah" and "astagfirallah" used for that purpose, though the latter only when something bad happens.

FILE_ID.DIZ

Banned
Jun 1, 2019
Fort Wayne
I'm not projecting my beliefs on someone I'm saying my opinion. What did you mean by projecting my beliefs on someone ?
You came up with this scenario where he did this solely to frighten people because of Islamophobia by the state, and not because of his personal beliefs or, more likely, him just being a shitty edgelord. Then your last sentence states he "should have done it in a blog post", which makes no sense in context, and implies that he'd be arrested for it.

Your stance makes zero sense to me. Maybe it's me, maybe I'm wrong! I could be! But I can't make head or tail of what you're trying to say about this jerk.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
You came up with this scenario where he did this solely to frighten people because of Islamophobia by the state, and not because of his personal beliefs or, more likely, him just being a shitty edgelord. Then your last sentence states he "should have done it in a blog post", which makes no sense in context, and implies that he'd be arrested for it.

Your stance makes zero sense to me. Maybe it's me, maybe I'm wrong! I could be! But I can't make head or tail of what you're trying to say about this jerk.
He did it knowing the French public is in fear of the phrase so he rightfully got arrested for terrorising the crowd even though the crowd shouldn't fear this phrase as the millions of Muslims in France who do use this phrase Multiple times daily are not harmful. French lawmakers gun for Muslims in every instance they get.

FILE_ID.DIZ

Banned
Jun 1, 2019
Fort Wayne
He did it knowing the French public is in fear of the phrase so he rightfully got arrested for terrorising the crowd even though the crowd shouldn't fear this phrase as the millions of Muslims in France who do use this phrase Multiple times daily are not harmful. French lawmakers gun for Muslims in every instance they get.
I... think I get it now. Thank you.

Iron Mike

Sep 28, 2019
If you were in the cinema and some guy stood up and started shouting Allah Akbar, would you be concerned?

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
Knowing that this happened in Paris there probably could've been many other Muslims in the hall and I can probably imagine that their hearth would've dropped and that sinking feeling of shame, anger, frustration towards whoever did this stupid stunt.
I can understand the reaction to assume the worst case, as someone could've been screaming and it would've had the same reaction. However, the phrase "Allahu akbar" is associated by many people with terrorism and has gained a negative reputation by many people. Especially in France. It's said million times a day by many people of different races throughout the world and they don't scream it out loud without reason.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Dogmatic and obvious tone deaf post.

Paris has a history of terrorism violence from islamic extremist

...ok, and so does the US. I'm not dismissing it. The guys that yelled it are idiots at best. They'd be arrested for "words" here too...and people would react the same way.

I was raised in the church, dad was a preacher, Christianity has a horrid history too. You basically get no reaction from what I was saying though.

It's interesting, but understandable based on where I live. I'd probably contact someone / leave if someone was doing either in my theater.

I mean, what if the guy just got a message his wife gave birth to his first baby? Jumps up and yells this.....gets arrested.. Seems like a touchy subject. This story sounds like two stupid people, or possibly people just trying to cause trouble/scare people, yelling something and running away.

Heck, it could even be a "protest" reading that. "You can't say "muslim stuff". Guy rebels.

Doing it in the Joker Screening sounds like some teen stupidity. Never know.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is bigotry. The fact that he was arrested for it is bigotry. Comparing saying the phrase "Allah Akbar" to yelling "Fire" in a theater is literal Islamophobia because you are saying that a common Islam religious phrase with no inherent connection to violence is the same as yelling out the clear and present danger that fire represents.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He was actually shouting "All to the snackbar!" but unfortunately this jokers trick was misunderstood.