Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone accessing the gate-side areas at Changi without intending to fly can be prosecuted under Singapore's Infrastructure Protection Act and fined up to S$20,000 (US$14,300) or imprisoned for up to two years. Thirty three people have been arrested under the legislation in the first eight months of 2019.

Police said the 27-year-old bought a ticket purely to walk his wife to the gate, and had "no intention to depart Singapore."

In a Facebook post they added that "passengers who enter the transit areas with a boarding pass should only be there for the purpose of traveling to their next destination."

Is this also illegal at your place. ERA?

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
All those rom coms probably taught him the gate thing is romantic.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
What did not know this was a thing. AND wouldn't think someone would spend that much money just to walk a friend or loved one to their gate. WTH?

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Cheaper just to text her a dick pic.

170px-Secretary_of_Defense_Richard_B._Cheney%2C_official_portrait.jpg

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The rom-com writes itself.

Wife spends the day/week trying to bail out her husband.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I learned a long time ago to respect Singapore's laws. They don't fuck around.

Edit- no I didn't get in trouble out there... I'm talking about o'l boy from the 90's.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Lol. Some of the recent airports I've been to, you're pretty much stuck on the curb unless you have a ticket. Can't even get through the front door.

Others, you're in the lobby and the pre-screening/ticket agent area. Anywhere else is offlimits unless you've got a ticket and pass security. But the whole intending to fly thing, that's new to me. But also a waste of money just to see someone off even if it wasn't the case.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Somehow I guessed it was Singapore

Last time I visited there was a warning for buying a ticket with intention of boarding being a crime and thought it was weird law and why would anyone do that

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Singapore is all kinds of fucked up. I've heard stories of them randomly drug testing tourists at the airport, and if you test positive they lock you up. Shit is nuts.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If you can afford to buy a plane ticket for shits and giggles you can probably afford this too.
If you can afford to buy a plane ticket for shits and giggles you can probably afford this too.

Eh, I wouldn't assume that. I don't k is about this specific airport, but you could easily buy the cheapest ticket on sale for that day, which can be really low (I've seen plane tickets for £13 earlier this week from the UK), which is hardly anywhere near a multi thousand dollar fine.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure many of you didn't click on the link but there's a good reason for this rule at this airport. This is what it looks like inside:

20190411_125017.jpg

20190411_104655.jpg

20190411_130323.jpg

jewel-plant-photo.jpg

20190411_102020.jpg

Ribs

Dec 10, 2017
At that point might as well buy a cheap ticket to a nearby airport and just drive back.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently Singapore airport is so good that people would buy cheap that they can cancel or fake tickets just to enjoy it

From the article itself

Overstaying your welcome in the terminal is a thing, here.
In 2016, a Malaysian man was jailed after he spent 18 days in Changi, forging boarding passes to gain entry to nine airport lounges. Shortly afterward, a couple was arrested for booking flexible tickets to gain access to the Changi shopping mall, where they bought an iPhone 7.
Other passengers have been known to book refundable tickets which they cancel before the flight takes off, having enjoyed the airport

But I do wonder why it's a big issue enough for a huge fine

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I'd go to if I could get away with it but I probably wouldn't try to live there.

Should've made a crappier airport instead of a futuristic shopping/tourist space.

These things are done to encouraging people to fly in and fly out of there. Who actively wants to go to a shitty airport over a nice one?

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I did not know this was illegal in Singapore.

FYI: for the rest of you, where it's NOT illegal, buy the cheapest fully refundable ticket available and you too can walk your loved ones up to the gate. Unless you feel like that's taking advantage of the poor little old airline.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Singapore is all kinds of fucked up. I've heard stories of them randomly drug testing tourists at the airport, and if you test positive they lock you up. Shit is nuts.

Eh I don't think we do that here. Never heard of anyone arrested because of random drug testing. We only care if you are bringing drugs in.

I'm sure many of you didn't click on the link but there's a good reason for this rule at this airport. This is what it looks like inside:

20190411_125017.jpg

20190411_104655.jpg

20190411_130323.jpg

jewel-plant-photo.jpg

20190411_102020.jpg

That's actually not the airport but a new shopping mall connected to the airport terminals. Looks like Balamb Garden. Was just there today.

Damn that place is nice and all but I can't imagine washing my balls in the bogs for nigh on 3 weeks just to chill there.

They have good shower facilities and really nice ones if you pay more.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
These things are done to encouraging people to fly in and fly out of there. Who actively wants to go to a shitty airport over a nice one?
They clearly did their jobs a little too well if they're also attracting non-fliers. There's probably an ideal balance between "good enough to arrive/depart from but not so good you'd pay to get in" and the designers went past it.

Should capitalize on it and build a hotel/apartment next to it.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Singapore will arrest you for petty stuff but you feel the results of that in the absolute sparkling cleanliness and order of the place.

I think it's hilarious that every now and then libertarians try to sometimes cite it as an example of a successful libertarian state which is almost the precise opposite of what Singapore is.

I remember the time they caned an American teenager simply for chewing gum*

* the US media sort of framed it as an international incident over nothing and diplomats got involved. Regardless of your thoughts on corporal punishment it's important to note that what he actually did was go on a vandalism spree and rampage and did thousands of dollars in theft and damage fully knowing the consequences.

His family situation was a hot mess too. People were split between serves him right and how dare foreigners cane an innocent child.

He apparently hit his father in front of the Singapore authorities and huffed butane for kicks.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't imagine being like.... "Oh Berlin's airport is shitty, so I'm going to skip going there."Just a random example, I don't remember anything positive or negative from that airport. I'm sure it's perfectly fine.
Oh no I thought you meant determining what city to fly into and out of. I've flown into a different city and then driven to the city I wanted to go to before.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
it's a form of perjury , think about it.

he is going through the who customs, metal detractor confirming his departure but then not departing anywhere, so he lied to custom authorities

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Singapore's generally a little too jail happy for my tastes but their city works so I can't really fault them for sticking with it.

They should levy fines for extended stays, increasing the longer you stay past your ticket date.

Or they can turn it into an actual tourist area, the Disney World of airports. Either solution would be more preferable than jail time but maybe their jails aren't as archaic as America's and it's not a huge deal.

Now if this was a security issue I would totally understand but if they go through check-in surely it's kosher?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Man I thought he brought it just to trick his wife that he was going somewhere, i bet that happens more than you would imagine

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
Thinking about it.. all those american movies where they say goodbye just before boarding the flight.. is that really a thing or even possible without a ticket?

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Singapore will arrest you for petty stuff but you feel the results of that in the absolute sparkling cleanliness and order of the place.

I think it's hilarious that every now and then libertarians try to sometimes cite it as an example of a successful libertarian state which is almost the precise opposite of what Singapore is.

I remember the time they caned an American teenager simply for chewing gum*

* the US media sort of framed it as an international incident over nothing and diplomats got involved. Regardless of your thoughts on corporal punishment it's important to note that what he actually did was go on a vandalism spree and rampage and did thousands of dollars in theft and damage fully knowing the consequences.

His family situation was a hot mess too. People were split between serves him right and how dare foreigners cane an innocent child.

He apparently hit his father in front of the Singapore authorities and huffed butane for kicks.

We didn't cane anyone for chewing gum. Chewing gum has never a crime. Only the sale of it. And doctors can prescribe gum that's meant to help people who are trying to quite cigarettes. And the punishment is not caning... And we don't usually arrest people for petty stuff. In fact we have entire days where we had no crime reported.